Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW37: Happy Birthday Mary Oliver

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week 37 in our 2017 adventurous prime reading year. Greetings to all our readers and those following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

Happy Birthday to poet Mary Oliver who is 81 years old today.

The Summer Day

Who made the world?

Who made the swan, and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?

This grasshopper, I mean–

the one who has flung herself out of the grass,

the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,

who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down–

who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.

Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.

Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,

which is what I have been doing all day.

Tell me, what else should I have done?

Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

With your one wild and precious life?

Find out  more about Mary Oliver as well as learn about Oliver and the Romantic Tradition as well as read her interview with Maria Shriver  and NPR's review of Oliver's selected essays Upstream.

War and Peace:  Read Volume Four – Part one  

Chat about what stood out for you, thoughts on storyline, setting, characters and motives as well as favorite quotes prior to this week’s reading.

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 36

• Like 14

Finished Just One Damned Thing After Another: The Chronicles of Saint Mary by Jodi Taylor, the first book of eight in her time travel / romance series. Action packed story about time traveling with a bit of romance thrown in. 

"History is just one damned thing after another" - Arnold Toynbee A madcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea... Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet. Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process. But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting. Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake ..."

• Like 15

A one day only currently free classic mystery for Kindle readers ~

The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katharine Green

"This classic mystery by one of the first female authors of detective novels has influenced the writing of Agatha Christie and thrilled generations of avid readers

Everett Raymond is a junior partner in the firm of Veeley, Carr & Raymond, attorneys and counselors at law. When Mr. Horatio Leavenworth, a very old and wealthy client, is found murdered, Everett finds himself entangled in the case. Leavenworth has been inexplicably shot while sitting at his own library table at night, all the doors in the house locked and untampered with. Suicide is quickly ruled out. Was the killer someone inside the house? Suspects abound: Thomas, the butler; Harwell, the private secretary and amanuensis to Mr. Leavenworth; and Mary and Eleanore Leavenworth, the two lady nieces, one of whom has been left out of her uncle’s will. Everett dives in as right-hand man to the inscrutable police detective Ebenezer Gryce, a brilliant investigator on the New York Metropolitan Police Force.

From a vanished servant to a secret marriage, from a shadowy mustached man to a forged confession, this swiftly plotted Victorian-era mystery, full of twists and turns and devastating cliffhangers, will keep you guessing until the very last page. Influential in the development of the modern suspense novel and a huge bestseller when it was first published, The Leavenworth Case is a groundbreaking tale not to be missed."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

I'll go ahead and check in early, though if I waited there's a chance I'll be caught up in W&P later today--I think I'm 40 pages from the end of this part. It was another long one. I aim to be all caught up for sure by the end of the coming week. I thought this section could have been edited a bit. It is taking far too long to go through the last day or two of Moscow.

I already remarked that I finished Orphan Train early in the week--that was my only "finished". I started The Nordic Theory of Everything which will be a slow-going non-fiction choice. I picked up Kareni's fluffy romance rec from the library and got Amy's rec on my kindle but haven't started either. That's it from here--will be a crazy week here with dh traveling and the usual fall activities picking up.

• Like 17

I forgot it was Sunday until I saw Robin's weekly link to the new thread. We've lost track of the days and the time. When shutters cover the house you have to keep checking the time because it's so dark inside. We're in full pre-hurricane boredom mode. We nap, eat our hurricane snacks, watch the non-stop local news keeping us updated, and wander aimlessly around the house. We also periodically go out the front door to look while it's still safe to go outside. It seems no matter how advanced the human race gets, we're sill in awe of the power of nature.

I also read, but can't concentrate on anything serious. For that reason I'm not making progress in W&P. Yesterday I finished Dressed for Death (Inspector Brunetti #3). Today I've been reading The Ring of Solomon (a Bartimaeus prequel). Also yesterday I listened a bit to a Brother Cadfalel mystery, The Raven in the Foregate, while I was doing laundry. (I always do laundry before a storm in case we lose power.)

Currently we're just getting a lot of rain with occasional wind gusts. It's still a good deal south of us. Unlike Matthew, we're on the bad side of Irma so tornadoes are a concern. If you're from Tornado Alley you should know our tornadoes, while damaging, rarely get above F-1 and most are even F-0. That doesn't help people who lose their homes, but I didn't want anyone to think we get the kind of tornadoes that are seen in the Midwest. 

• Like 18

Finished Just One Damned Thing After Another: The Chronicles of Saint Mary by Jodi Taylor, the first book of eight in her time travel / romance series. Action packed story about time traveling with a bit of romance thrown in. 

"History is just one damned thing after another" - Arnold Toynbee A madcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea... Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet. Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process. But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting. Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake ..."

I really enjoyed that series!

The Shades of Magic series by VE Schwab https://www.goodreads.com/series/122142-shades-of-magic is my current audio book. It's a great series. I like the narrators also.

I'm still reading The Women of the Castle. So far I am enjoying it but am only 50% through it. This book has an unusual view of WWII and is filled with flashbacks. It's focus is on a German Countess who was involved in the July 20 1944 assassination attempt on Hitler. Her part was knowledge but she promised to care for all the wives and children of the conspirators after.

• Like 16

I catched up W&P this week!

I also finished three books:

Fahrenheit 451

Playing with fire by Tess Gerritsen

(Both in translation)

And 'I lived among them' about a Dutch journalist living in the Muslim part of the Hague (NL)

Very reveiling about a lot of troubles in the City I lived as student.

I found a Dutch Biography about George Sandd and am Curious to read.

• Like 17

... It seems no matter how advanced the human race gets, we're sill in awe of the power of nature.

So very true.  Sending good thoughts to you and all others who are currently at risk from the forces of nature.

I finished another early Mary Balogh historical romance; this one was published in 1986.  Once again, I found the hero somewhat unheroic though perhaps he was simply a man very much of his time.  In spite of that, I'm happy to have once again read a new to me Mary Balogh book.

Here's the currently available Kindle version with its new cover ~ Red Rose.  The copy I read had this cover.

"Edward Marsh, Earl of Raymore, is a connoisseur of beauty, whether it be music or art or women. When he inherits two wards, however, and decides to marry them off as soon as possible during a London Season, he finds one of them virtually unmarriageable. Rosalind Dacey has none of the delicate, blond beauty of her cousin, and a pronounced limp resulting from a childhood riding accident has robbed her of grace and self-assurance. She resents what she sees as Edward's ruthless, high-handed tyranny, and he is infuriated by her outspoken stubbornness. Their volatile quarrels soon lead to passion of a different sort, however. And Rosalind possesses talent as a pianist that draws Edward secretly and against his will to listen, enthralled, to her daily practices in his music room."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 16

I've been reading War and Peace and am at about the halfway mark according to my kindle. It seems to be marked differently in my hard copy - in that I'm still about halfway but it says I'm near the end of Book 2, part 5, chapter 14 but in the kindle version they call it part 8 chapter 15. Weird? Anyway, I can't believe what Natasha is about to do!? What is she thinking? Is she really going to go through with it? I had to set the book down yesterday because I could NOT BELIEVE that she would think she is in love with that one guy (I'm trying to not give it away). WHYYYYYY???? I was thinking her "love" for the man she was engaged to seemed a little iffy, but to think she loves the guy at the opera...she needs someone to set her straight. 

And how sad for Sonya, the way his parents are treating her. :(

That's all for me this week. I have about 10 books from the library that are reproaching me from the nightstand but I just can't seem to settle into anything besides W&P and that's only been a little here and there. 

I hope Irma misses you, Kathy! Stay safe :)

Robin, love the poem!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 19

So very true.  Sending good thoughts to you and all others who are currently at risk from the forces of nature.

I finished another early Mary Balogh historical romance; this one was published in 1986.  Once again, I found the hero somewhat unheroic though perhaps he was simply a man very much of his time.  In spite of that, I'm happy to have once again read a new to me Mary Balogh book.

Here's the currently available Kindle version with its new cover ~ Red Rose.  The copy I read had this cover.

"Edward Marsh, Earl of Raymore, is a connoisseur of beauty, whether it be music or art or women. When he inherits two wards, however, and decides to marry them off as soon as possible during a London Season, he finds one of them virtually unmarriageable. Rosalind Dacey has none of the delicate, blond beauty of her cousin, and a pronounced limp resulting from a childhood riding accident has robbed her of grace and self-assurance. She resents what she sees as Edward's ruthless, high-handed tyranny, and he is infuriated by her outspoken stubbornness. Their volatile quarrels soon lead to passion of a different sort, however. And Rosalind possesses talent as a pianist that draws Edward secretly and against his will to listen, enthralled, to her daily practices in his music room."

Regards,

Kareni

I've read a couple of Mary Balogh's stories, thanks for bringing this one to my attention :) And I tend to like the covers from the earlier publication dates - yes, they're super cheesy but for some reason I find them more appealing than the modern covers.  

• Like 14

I've procrastinated a work deadline, due tomorrow, so am mostly sitting here trying to work on that, but getting distracted by hurricane coverage. My thoughts go out to Kathy, Stacia, and all our other Floridians/southerners who are being affected by this storm. Stay safe and hold on tight to stationary objects, children, pets, and books!

I've just been tossing books over my shoulder left and right (figuratively) this week - I think I've abandoned about 5 books just in the last couple of days. I finished listening to The Thirteenth Tale, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and now I'm listening to Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, which is surprisingly dull. I'm reading Skinny Dip for Bingo, picked it up at a Little Free Library down the street. and Patient H.M., which interests me particularly because I was part of the MIT lab where he was tested, and tested him several times myself. Lovely man. This book is a much more gripping read than the one written by my old mentor, Permanent Present Tense, which I read last year (right before she died).

Still reading about Lyme, and will be for the forseeable future. We go back to the doc and potentially start treatment tomorrow. I'm on board with the first part of the treatment plan, but have some reservations about part 2, so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 16

Some more currently free Kindle books ~

Samantha Moon: The First Four Vampire for Hire Novels (Plus Three Bonus Novels) by J.R. Rain  (I just read and enjoyed one of his other books as did Robin, I believe.)

Picture Miss Seeton (A Miss Seeton Mystery)  by Heron Carvic  (this looks charming.)

Cold Justice Series Box Set by Toni Anderson  (I've heard good things about this romantic suspense series.)

The Hanover Square Affair by Ashley Gardner  (a number of us here have enjoyed this regency mystery series.)

Dead Again (The Umbra Mortis Saga Book 1)  by Alex Westmore  (an LGBT short story)

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 11

Still reading Thoreau & Leo XIII. Aaaaaaaaaaa I don't remember homeschooling high school using up every moment of my time the first time around. Wait, I think that was when I was reading 26 books a year and feeling amazing to accomplish that.

Stacia, Great Girl texted that classes are canceled for Monday and Tuesday. Are things really expected to get as bad as that? I though Atlanta was too far inland to be affected.

Amy, so fun that your little guy remembered! It was awesome meeting up with your family.

Hugs to those coping with hard times. I've been reading posts but on the run without much of a chance to respond.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 16

Currently we're just getting a lot of rain with occasional wind gusts. It's still a good deal south of us. Unlike Matthew, we're on the bad side of Irma so tornadoes are a concern. If you're from Tornado Alley you should know our tornadoes, while damaging, rarely get above F-1 and most are even F-0. That doesn't help people who lose their homes, but I didn't want anyone to think we get the kind of tornadoes that are seen in the Midwest. 

Kathy, hoping that you and everyone else stays safe. All these hurricanes are bringing back awful memories of when we experienced Ivan here back in 2004. 

I read Victoria: The Heart and Mind of a Young Queen: Official Companion to the Masterpiece Presentation on PBS - 4 Stars - I’ve always loved Queen Victoria and couldn’t resist this when I saw it in one of our favorite bookstores while visiting Miami a few months ago. If you’ve enjoyed the TV series, this is an absolutely beautiful companion. 

616GGUXAFML.jpg

Monet's Gardens:

"The gardens provided Monet with a kind of spiritual refuge, and Arsene Alexandre observed the change that overtook him when he was lost in contemplation there: 'This man who is laconic and rather cold in Paris is another person here - peaceful and enthusiastic. On the boulevards his smile is sardonic; in his garden among his flowers he is filled with happiness. The artist forgets that Paris exists for months on end ... The garden is the man.'"

ed9a40bf24ee1f691391027197e391e5.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 16

Non-book status from me today. I was supposed to return from Cape Cod to NC (via Atlanta) tomorrow. Because of Irma, Delta moved my flights to today, Sunday, without penalty. Considering the chaos of this week, Delta seemed to have a good system in place.

My flight should be on time, but I had alerted Stacia earlier in the week that she may have a house guest beyond the cats and cowboy.

Wish me well--and minimal turbulence. We started experiencing it earlier around DC.

• Like 17

In celebration of having finished W&P and as encouragement to those of you still plugging away, I bring you one last entry in the War and Peace playlist. I'm afraid this entry is a bit long and epic, but what else could it be since it is about opera, the most epic of art forms. The story of how W&P became an opera deserves a novel of its own, as it is a story full of drama, political intrigue and many twists and turns. This is just the briefest outline that story.

Sergei Prokofiev was the darling of the Soviet Union when he voluntarily returned to the country in the 1930s following almost 20 years of living and composing in the West. He loved opera, and was inspired by the operatic potential of War and Peace as he listened to his wife read it aloud. With the German invasion of Russia in 1941 he found new relevance in the novel and quickly sketched out his operatic vision of the book, focusing on the central love story of Natasha and Andrei.

However, under Stalin, all music had to be submitted for approval by a committee in the Politburo, and they were not impressed with the romantic focus of the opera, wanting Prokofiev to beef up the battle scenes, to add stirring militaristic tunes that celebrate the enduring might of Mother Russia, all of course with a Socialist Realist sensibility. They also wanted Kutuzov to be featured more prominently as a Stalin-like hero. Basically, the Politburo wanted to turn it into a grand work of propaganda.

This tinkering and meddling with the work went on for over 10 years, through the dark post war years when artists who displeased Stalin and the Politiburo would disappear in the middle of the night, sometimes to never return. Prokofiev was never arrested, but his opera never received favor during his lifetime. He died in 1953, on the same day as Stalin. The opera finally premiered in 1957, a bloated 4 and half hour bombastic monster! It has endured since then, primarily in Russia in its more militaristic form. Some companies outside of Russia have explored paring it back to the more intimate love story, but it is not a well known opera in the West.

Here are a couple of samples of Prokofiev’s War and Peace opera. He is one of my favorite composers, and the first clip is quintessential Prokofiev, full of lovely melodies under laid by dissonant harmonies. The scene is of the New Year’s Eve ball where Andrei and Natasha meet. The performances are sweet, but the subtitles are in Japanese, so I can’t tell you what they are singing! Andrei is played by baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky who sang the role of Andrei in the first production of War and Peace at the NY Metropolitan Opera back in 2010 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8hecZjtTtw

And here is a Kutuzov aria where he sings about his decision not to defend Moscow.  The actual aria starts at about the 2 minute mark -- he paces and ponders for almost a minute, then has a few recitative lines before the music finally settles down for the famous aria.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJ6XzfLQAg&t=166s

The thing that struck me about these two clips were the deep male voices. In the Western tradition, the romantic lead male is often a tenor, and we are attuned to that with the popularity of Pavarotti, the Three Tenor concert tours, Andrea Bocelli. But the Russian tradition is for the stronger, deeper bass and baritone voices.

The excellent Julian Barnes novel, The Noise of Time, gives a chilling look into what it was like to be a composer under Stalin, and later under Brezhnev. The composer at the center of Barnes' work is Shostakovich, but Prokofiev is a side character, and it was a marvelous serendipity that I had read it earlier this summer before learning of Prokofiev's opera. 
  • Like 20

Stay safe, people! (And be bored, Kathy! I would think that's preferable to the alternative!)

Thank you again for your lovely musical accompaniment to W&P, Jenn!  (We watched What's Opera, Doc? for family movie night last night, does that count?)

I have read nothing this week.  Oh, well, that is not quite true; I have read lots but finished nothing.  I blame homeschooling, which started this week, and the push of the harvests (pears, apples, last of the tomatoes and grapes).  Pawpaws are ripening too.  (Look those up if you don't know what they are; proves Michigan was once a tropical place!) 

I do enjoy all your W&P recaps though, immensely.  And Stacia must report on teh kittehs and cowboy.

• Like 16

Stadia, I hope the toe and leg are starting to feel better. Maine Coon cats are so cool! :). I haves always wanted one....I saw one in a shelter once and wanted it desperately but we were on vacation in Alaska at the time. One of my favorite cozy mystery series stars a Maine coon cat https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7337871-murder-past-due?from_search=true. I don't honestly expect you to read these but I couldn't resist mentioning.

Jane, Safe travels.

Fastweedpuller, Pawpaws in Michigan. I am amazed. What more can I say.

Kathy, I will echo someone else's comment I hope you stay bored. I'm watching the coverage right now on Fox 35. Tornado warning in your area just got announced...... Stay safe.

• Like 14

Kathy wanted me to let everyone know they have lost power and wifi and won't be turned back on for some time. Going offline to preserve cell phone battery. They are fine and she'll check in later via facebook.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 15

I'm well behind in W&P, still not done with volume 3 part 2. I have not gotten much reading of any sort done lately. All of the kids' activities started up for the semester.  We also had to put down our almost-sixteen-year-old golden retriever last week. Just have not had the mental space to relax and read.

We spent the afternoon preparing for Irma-related winds - moving in plants, cleaning up the yard, etc. Stacia, I had the same idea about flipping our outdoor table. When DS and I tried it was so heavy that I was afraid we'd slam it down and break the top, so I bungeed it to the deck railing instead. Not pretty but it's not going anywhere. We're on the east side of metro Atlanta and I'm not sure how much wind/rain we'll end up getting. 

• Like 15

We are fine so far; thanks for asking. We moved two cars to the local elementary school in case trees fall on our street and we can't get out. We have lost 5 huge trees in the last 5 years due to shallow root systems so we are worried about the strong winds that are coming our way. We are in NE FL just south of Jacksonville and live about 200 yds from the St. Johns River so flooding is a concern. Right now we are just watching tv and eating our hurricane food. I want to read but it's hard to concentrate. Even our 3 cats are edgy. We still have to wait another 10 hours or so before the storm reaches us - really it feels like we've been waiting for a week. Prayers are appreciated, especially for our friends in SW Florida. The storm surge there may be catastrophic. Luckily, the authorities did a great job encouraging people to get out early.

• Like 16

Hi everyone. I am safely back home after a slightly bumpy ride. The warmth of Irma will be colliding with a cold front from the north that may bring some serious hazards tomorrow as Irma moves inland. Wind and water in Florida are concerns; I suspect tornadoes enter the story in the hours ahead.

What had me thinking about this was the pilot's comments on upper level disturbances along the East coast. Frankly I am glad that I am avoiding tomorrow's potential drama in Atlanta. Stay safe, Stacia. Thinking of Kathy and Shawne tonight.

There are no tropical storm warnings for my community but we are supposed

to have six foot waves and rip currents at the beach tomorrow. Not that I would be swimming with winds blowing at 30 mph with gusts to 40. Two inches of rain in the forecast. Minimal stuff for us. But this is a huge system, folks.

I will discuss books another day!

• Like 17

These Sundays. They sure come and go. Anyway, I finished War and Peace. It was amazing. I love Natasha and Prince Andrei and Tolstoy. Thank you all. I might never have read it if it weren't a group read here. 

I also read Writers Workshop of Horror, which was fine, included a couple of better essays. And Literary Taste - How To Form It (With Detailed Instructions For Collecting A Complete Library Of English Literature) by Arnold Bennettwhich was a delight. Also, it shows that it's not really a new idea that reading literary fiction improves empathy.

"Search for the ideas and emotions which you have garnered from that book. Think, and recollect when last something from that book recurred to your memory apropos of your own daily commerce with humanity. Is it history--when did it throw a light for you on modern politics? Is it science--when did it show you order in apparent disorder, and help you to put two and two together into an inseparable four? Is it ethics--when did it influence your conduct in a twopenny-halfpenny affair between man and man? Is it a novel--when did it help you to 'understand all and forgive all'? Is it poetry--when was it a magnifying glass to disclose beauty to you, or a fire to warm your cooling faith?"

• Like 16

Stacia - How's it going?

I'm glad to hear about Kathy, Robin.

Jane, sorry to have missed you. I am glad your trip was undventful.

I hope all the other Floridians are ok and those in the path and their trees are ok.

We are assuming, since Irma was downgraded to cat 1 and passed inland, that my mil's place in Venice is ok, although I may be dealing with mold when I return her to Florida. We will hopefully hear soon.

Hugs to all

Nan

• Like 13

Good morning, everyone!

Sorry to have missed you too, Nan!  Maybe next year?

On a BaW note...  I had the opportunity to meet our wonderful Ethel Mertz on this visit to the Cape!!  Knowing my love of birds, she and her spouse invited me to tag along with the local bird club on a walk through a wildlife management area that I did not even know existed.  This was followed by an over the top breakfast where we of course solved all of the world's problems--and discussed books.

As many of you know, I am a volunteer at the local bird rehab shelter.  When I am in town, you will find me at the desk there on Monday mornings, wrangling paperwork and dealing with financial matters. I called the rehabber to say that I was back but I was thinking of staying home today given the volatile weather situation.  She said she was waiting for another of the volunteers to move birds indoors, not trusting all of the outdoor pens with 40 mph gusts that we might experience today.  So it would be better to come in later in the week anyway instead of sharing the office with annoyed caged birds.

And finally for some real book notes:

One of my favorite movies of all time is Hitchhock's film Vertigo which I only recently realized was based on a novel by a pair of French writers, Pierre Boileau and Pierre Narcejac.  The pair had written a previous novel that Hitchcock wanted to make into a film but was prevented from doing so when Henri-Georges Clouzot acquired the rights.  That film was called Les Diaboliques, based on the novel She Who Was No More. Following this episode, Boileau-Narcejac wrote a novel for Hitchcock to adapt.  Their book was called From Among the Dead but has been retitled Vertigo in its English translation to correspond with the film.

The two have a common theme of obsession and manipulation although I found the book to be more disturbing.  Hitchcock's film is set in San Francisco whereas the original novel takes place in Paris and Marseilles.  The story opens before the Nazi invasion of France and the action in Marseilles culminates in the unsettled years after the war.  There is a desperation left from the scars of war, something that is not part of Hitchcock's film.

On the bus and airplane ride yesterday, I started reading Boris Akunin's Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog.  This is my third Akunin novel--one Fandorin and one other Sister Pelagia--none of which I am reading in order.  They are not readily available for me so I will read them as I can. Akunin writes complex historical mysteries set in Russia in the late nineteenth century.  As though W&P is not enough Russia for me at the moment!  What was I thinking?

Slog and Peace was my term for Tolstoy's novel in recent weeks.  Andrei's evolution now holds my interest so I should be able to pick up the pace again.

• Like 17

Stacia, I meant to add that even if Irma goes over you, I still think moving the kitties was the right thing to do, Atlanta being more inland than your sister. It could have been pretty awful. I know you know that but wanted you to know others do, too. Sorry about the lack of handsome, unselfish, catloving men. : )

Nan

• Like 13

Checking in for the first time in a long time this year. Between a move and some other IRL turmoil (nothing tragic, just beyond my coping skills at the time!), I have been out of touch.

Thinking of everyone dealing with the hurricanes. Been keeping tabs on friends & family in Naples & Sarasota and hope all here are safe. 

Sending big  :grouphug: to all those who have had difficulties, tragedies, challenges. I have skimmed threads here and there and saw some heartbreaking news, I know I missed out on others. Rose, so sorry to hear about the Lyme issues. I have a friend struggling with chronic issues and she's doing well, but I know it is so difficult.

Books: finished my Goodreads challenge by book count. Quite a few were speed reads (Louise Penney, hello repetitive recapping) or YA/kid books that I read on my own just for fun. Also I got through some of the long ones (Middlemarch, David Copperfield, and Anne Karenina is almost done) via audiobook. I listened to all at regular speed except Anna Karenina. I read a different translation before and this version on audio just felt slow to my ears.

Of them all, I didn't outright hate any of them. Some were a bit of a challenge to finish (Gold Fame Citrus, some Louise Penney). I love Dava Sobel's writing. Stephen King was a nice surprise -- I've read his non-fiction& always enjoyed him but realized I hadn't gotten into his fiction, which is odd. Some of my favorites were rather brutal or dystopian but as usual cozy mysteries were my default for when I was 

1Q84 is a special one because the lovely Stacia sent it to me, & I enjoyed it. It is still up for grabs if anyone wants it & is patient since I can be slow to get to the post office.

• Like 17

Hugs to everyone impacted by the hurricanes  :grouphug: . 

I read A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss and Survival over the weekend. Melissa Fleming (spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees) tells one woman's refugee story. The book follows Doaa Al Zamel from Syria to Egypt to Greece to Sweden. It is absolutely a book worth reading, but be forewarned that it is very graphic and disturbing. I gave it four stars. I would have given it five, but the writing is just adequate not superb. 

This filled my Seaworthy Bingo square. Now all I have to do is finish my Outer Space square, and I will be done with my Bingo card.

• Like 16

Checking in to say that I have been watching Irma and am sending good thoughts to all.

Jane, thank you for the eclipse stamp! We all love it and the kids are downright obsessed!

Today is our first full day of school after we just got back from our last trip of the summer, and two of our outside-the-home activities begin today too. Hopefully I will find some time to write about Independent People later.

• Like 15

I copied and pasted my post from another thread because it was the easiest way.

Quick update because I keep having to charge my phone on the car. We lost power just after 7 Sunday night. Wind howled all night but we managed to sleep on and off. We lost a few shingles, a small piece of ridge vent, and a couple pieces of soffit. Other than that lots of yard debris and still no power. Pretty much what we expected and what we prepared for. Steaks in the freezer will go on the grill tonight.

• Like 14

Checking in to say that I have been watching Irma and am sending good thoughts to all.

Jane, thank you for the eclipse stamp! We all love it and the kids are downright obsessed!

Today is our first full day of school after we just got back from our last trip of the summer, and two of our outside-the-home activities begin today too. Hopefully I will find some time to write about Independent People later.

Welcome back, idnib! I still have a few (heat sensitive) eclipse stamps left. Anyone else want a postcard with one? If you requested one from me and I failed to send it out, please give a gentle nudge.

• Like 13

I'm not sure if I ever thanked you, Jane, for initially mentioned the eclipse stamps.  I sent the link to my husband, the amateur astronomer, and he was sufficiently taken with them that we ordered two sheets (one to use and one to add to his stamp collection); I also shared the link with my sister who also bought some.  My daughter was intrigued, too, so we mailed a letter to her in South Korea with one stamp on the envelope as part of the total cost and with another inside.  She sent a message yesterday to say that the letter had just arrived with both stamps in fine condition.  She'll be showing it to co-workers and students today.  So your stamp news has generated interest across the country and the globe!

Glad to hear, Kathy, that your damage was fairly minimal.  Continuing to send good thoughts to those in need.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I'm not sure if I ever thanked you, Jane, for initially mentioned the eclipse stamps.  I sent the link to my husband, the amateur astronomer, and he was sufficiently taken with them that we ordered two sheets (one to use and one to add to his stamp collection); I also shared the link with my sister who also bought some.  My daughter was intrigued, too, so we mailed a letter to her in South Korea with one stamp on the envelope as part of the total cost and with another inside.  She sent a message yesterday to say that the letter had just arrived with both stamps in fine condition.  She'll be showing it to co-workers and students today.  So your stamp news has generated interest across the country and the globe!

Glad to hear, Kathy, that your damage was fairly minimal.  Continuing to send good thoughts to those in need.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, glad to hear that Kathy is safe and hope that Shawne checks in with us soon too.

The eclipse stamps have indeed been a huge hit.  The post office was really onto something with a stamp that was both timely and interactive.  I hope they do something fun like that again!

• Like 10

Thinking of everyone in Irma's path and glad to hear that all seem to have come through it well so far.

Rose, I'm so glad you have a diagnosis and that you've found what sounds like a great doctor.  It's so hard to find someone who takes Lyme seriously and is really willing to treat.  Hope Shannon is feeling much better soon.

• Like 11

I am late posting again this week, and do not have much to report.  The fall season has come in with a bang - moved 2 kids in to college, and third one has started her DE classes. I' ve been doing a bit of (paid) very part-time work in the hopes of more steady things to come.  So much driving this week. I feel like I've still been reading, but I don't think I've finished much of anything.  And I still haven't even caught up in W&P! 

I finished one book last Monday, but I posted about it last week already...

99. Girl in Hyacinth Blue (audiobook) - for the Art square.

So, Currently Reading:

- Long Walk to Freedom (audiobook) - I have listened to 7 hours already (more than the total length of many other audios I've listened to lately), but that's barely 1/4 of this book!  I've been in the car so much it would be much more, but I only listen when I'm alone, and much of the driving has been with a kid in the car with me.

- The Man Who Spoke Snakish - what an odd little book this is (well, it's not 'little' either at 442 pp). But I'm enjoying it.   A bit over halfway through.

- The Golem and the Jinni (ebook) - quite enjoying this one too.  Also not short at 486 pp. I think I'm beginning to sense why nothing is completed... Almost halfway done.

- W&P - shamefully, haven't even finished last week's section, so now I really have some catching up to do.  Still stuck in the ^$  Battle of Borodino.  Hoping I can manage to get past that and on to more engaging parts and hopefully catch up this week!

Coming up: 

Half a Yellow Sun came in on Overdrive.  Have to finish my other ebook before I start it, though.  Not sure what I'll read next otherwise.  The audio I'm listening to is going to last a while yet.  Print book, maybe something German or Spanish.  It's kind of German's 'turn' next, but I'm starting up Spanish tutoring, so maybe it would be good to start another one in that language...  hmmm...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

It's been a few weeks since I last checked in. We are finally settling into a fall routine, so hopefully I can keep up with the board more consistently for the rest of the year.

Best wishes for those in the storm path and hugs for those dealing with metaphorical storms.

Kareni- Thanks for the book links, I've downloaded a couple of them to add to my virtual pile for vacation next month.

Books finished since mid-August

📚The Sea of Monsters by Riordan - continuing with my reread of the original Percy Jackson series, 5 stars

📚Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by Rawling - still rereading Harry Potter as well, 5 stars

📚Dead Spots by Olson - interesting story of a null who cleans up magical messes for the supernatural community, 3 starss

📚Black Coffee by Christie - Another Hercules Poirot mystery. My library only had this one in play format. I liked the mystery but not the format. 4 stars

📚Moon Over Soho by Aaronovitch - second installment in the Peter Grant series, 4 starss

📚Point Blank by Horowitz - book two in the Alex Rider series, 4 stars

📚Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by Rawling - 5 stars

📚Thrush Green by Read - for August birthstone challenge, a nice slow meander after all my action heavy books, 4 stars

📚Mercenary Magic by Summers - free ebook on Amazon, good urban paranormal plot, but not quite as much world and char building as I would like. 4 stars

📚Whispers Underground by Aaronovitch - third Peter Grant book and the best so far. My kids kept asking what was so funny, 5 stars

Long Term Reads

ðŸ¢ESV Bible - currently reading Ezekial and caught back up to my schedule

ðŸ¢History of the Ancient World - no progress. Now that my Bible reading is back on track, I hope to get back into this one.

Current/Upcoming Reads

📚Screaming Staircase by Stroud - audio book selection, about halfway through and just starting to catch my interest

I'll probably read the next Percy Jackson book as well as News of the World for a bingo square this week

• Like 12

Prayers and good thoughts to all those in the way of Irma.

Books read last week:

• NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. Horror. A psychotic woman finds her son kidnapped and seeks to save him from a man who loves Christmas. I spent 90% of this book thinking I'd read it before, but I couldn't be sure. I reached the end and realized, yup, it was a re-read. Like Hill's other books, there were nods to Stephen King's work. A character says, "My life for you", which is a character's vow in King's The Stand plus others I can't remember off the top of my head. Good thing it's his son writing the novel! Now logged in Goodreads to jog my memory if I forget again I'd already read it.
  • Myth in Human History by Grant L. Voth. Non-fictino: Myths and Fairy tales. An analysis of various cultural myths and fairy tales. This is an excellent course for those interested in a more in-depth look at mythology and folklore. Stories are centered around themes, not just cultures. The instructor, as best he can, expands beyond the typical Western tradition and considers at Asian, African, Native American, and Polynesian stories. Highly recommended. Like I mentioned last week, the articles and books cited could keep someone busy for years studying the subject.
  • Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy. The adopted human son of dwarfs may be the heir to the vacant throne of Ankh-Morpork. I loved this book, more so than the Guards! Guards! introduction to the characters. A good man struggles to do what's right, even when all around him break the rules. Another does everything wrong, but still knows what's right in his heart. The best of Pratchett's philosophical musings, all wrapped up in a story about trolls, dwarfs, werewolves, and humans. 
  • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Alternative History. A slave woman seeks escape from a Georgia plantation. A brutal re-imagining of the route to freedom with a literal underground railroad. The blurb mentions the time is pre-Civil War, but the technology mentioned feels more like mid to late 1800s. The organization of some of the character arcs felt disjointed, but otherwise it's a tough, violent well-done read.
  • Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino. Fairy tales and Folktales. A collection of Italian fairy tales. I enjoyed that many of these stories were grouped by region, giving each set of tales a distinctive cultural flavor. Highly enjoyable, but a thick book.

I'm finishing up Women Who Run With Wolves, plus I've ordered the last of my Bingo reads. I swore at the beginning of the year I wouldn't leave the thickest books for last. Oops - 2000+ pages to read. Blurgh. I'm hoping to finish at least one by the next week.

• Like 15

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers; I believe I've posted this one before ~

The Land of Little Rain by Mary Austin 

"A stirring tribute to the unique beauty of the American Southwest

In the region stretching from the High Sierras south of Yosemite to the Mojave Desert, water is scarce and empty riverbeds hint at a lush landscape that has long since vanished. But the desert is far from lifeless. For those who know where to look, the “land of little rain†is awash in wonders.

In this exquisite meditation on the people, flora, and fauna of the American desert, Mary Austin introduces readers to the secret treasures of the landscape she loved above all others. Her lyrical essays profoundly influenced the work of nature writers and conservationists, among them Edward Abbey and Terry Tempest Williams, and have inspired generations of readers to visit some of the country’s most stunning national parks, including Death Valley and Joshua Tree."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Hello, everyone!

My new job has definitely decreased my free reading time. Pre-season is over now and classes have started so I anticipate a bit of free time to read.

I have finished 36 books with the last three being:

War & Peace (combination of print & audio)

Mrs. Saint & the Defectives by Julie Lawson Timmer  (free Kindle book; easy read)

Cotton Grass Lodge by DeNise Woodbury (also a free Kindle book and an easy read. I'm thinking it's self-published. There's nothing wrong with that but the book could use some editing as there are words missing from some of the sentences and many paragraphs have final sentences that appear to be added for no reason because they are disconnected from the topic.)

• Like 14

I've finished a couple of books that I read for a challenge on another site involving choosing a book based on its cover. 

Bone to Pick  by TA Moore

I enjoyed this mystery and its cover; I found the use of white space attractive. I hope that the author will write more books featuring Javi (an FBI agent), Cloister (a K-9 dog handler), and Bourneville (the dog). The story ended with a happy for now so there is lots of room for the men’s relationship to grow. There were also questions left unanswered about the characters’ pasts which I’d like to see answered.

Here's the book blurb ~  "Cloister Witte is a man with a dark past and a cute dog. He’s happy to talk about the dog all day, but after growing up in the shadow of a missing brother, a deadbeat dad, and a criminal stepfather, he’d rather leave the past back in Montana. These days he’s a K-9 officer in the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department and pays a tithe to his ghosts by doing what no one was able to do for his brother—find the missing and bring them home.

He’s good at solving difficult mysteries. The dog is even better.

This time the missing person is a ten-year-old boy who walked into the woods in the middle of the night and didn’t come back. With the antagonistic help of distractingly handsome FBI agent Javi Merlo, it quickly becomes clear that Drew Hartley didn’t run away. He was taken, and the evidence implies he’s not the kidnapper’s first victim. As the search intensifies, old grudges and tragedies are pulled into the light of day. But with each clue they uncover, it looks less and less likely that Drew will be found alive."

ALSO  Back to You by Chris Scully

This was a contemporary romance with a strong mystery element. I found the cover art of this book to be quite clever. The title is reflective of the book’s content, but it can also be a play on words and the cover art takes advantage of that fact by showing us a person’s back. I enjoyed the story of a man returning to him hometown after some twenty years away and the relationship he develops with the man who was his childhood best friend. I’d happily read more by this author.

Here's the blurb ~  "Journalist Alex Buchanan has come home to the remote British Columbia town he grew up in, but only because his estranged father is dying. For Alex, the homecoming holds a mix of memories, mostly bad. The only bright spot is reconnecting with Benji Morning, the childhood friend he never truly forgot. As boys, the strength of their bond had frightened Alex. But now that he’s confident in his bisexuality, he’s drawn back to quiet, soft-spoken Ben.

Ben isn’t the same boy Alex left behind, though. His life has been overshadowed by the disappearance of his sister two decades earlier, and now a new break in the case threatens to undo the peace he’s worked so hard to attain.

As Alex struggles to repair the relationship with his father before it’s too late, he finds himself caught up in a twenty-year-old mystery, a story he never expected, and a shocking truth that could affect his and Ben’s future together."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Some books that are currently free to Kindle readers ~

Literary fiction:  Bowl of Fruit (1907)  by Panayotis Cacoyannis

"Cacoyannis' talent for connecting art and literature with the personal lives of his characters is on full display. Leon's artistic talent--not to mention the commerce of it all--is nearly a character unto itself, and recollections of difficult events are adeptly woven into the larger narrative. Anna and Leon are unpretentious, smart compatriots who stomp on familiar ground in London, and their growing connection, as well as the labyrinthine tale that emerges, is as unsettling as it is satisfying. The novel may not be as explosive as his first, but it's nevertheless a unique tale about secrets and the quixotic nature of artistry.

A lively, multilayered novel that connects two uncommon souls to a shared past." Kirkus Reviews

PLUS a cozy mystery: Barking Bad: More Adventures of a Hollywood Dog Walker (LA Lights Book 5)  by Di Jones

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

:grouphug: to those affected by Irma. So many huge power outages and much property damage. I have watched an incredible amount of streamed local FL TV because of friends in Central Florida. Everyone is safe but without power.

I couldn't sleep last night so I actually finished some books. 😄. Both good and bad!

The Women of the Castle was overall good, 3 stars. Distressing but interesting. Fiction but from what I could tell with google well researched. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30653967-the-women-in-the-castle

I also read JA Jance's novella/ prequel for her soon to be released book in her JP Beaumont series. I will admit Beaumont is one of my favourites. Still Dead was a great novella. I read them if I can get them for free because of ongoing storylines but generally find novellas to be something I wish would cease to be so popular. This one was well done and satisfying. Maybe it could stand alone as an introduction to the series. Some back story is given.....

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 13

An Irma effect system dumped a couple of inches of rain on us in the wee hours and a tornado warning.  The skies appear to be clearing though.  Let's hope that trend continues!

Next up:  Jose!  One of the spaghetti models shows it going to Miami.  Good grief!  Most likely it will stay out in the Atlantic but even so the last thing needed in the Carolinas is more dramatic surf. 

Escaping hurricanes by returning to 19th century Russia....

• Like 14

Hey fellow Iceland-lovers (is there a term for that...?  I am sure there might be), the hubs and I have been consuming an Icelandic TV drama we found on Amazon Prime called Trapped.  Murder/mystery.  Very good (two episodes left).  We're not really big on TV here.

But it would take your minds off hurricanes, floods, fires...and replace them with snowstorms and avalanches and ice storms.  :)

• Like 15