Menu

Bifocals......in honor of my birthday give me the low down on bifocals

Ottakee

I am afraid I am heading that way. I had Lasiks about 10 years ago but now need glasses for distance to just crisp things up. I don't need reading glasses as of yet. That means that I am constantly taking my glasses off in the house to do computer work, read, write, etc......then I can't find them and my kids laugh at me.

I am thinking that I likely need one part of the lens for crisping up the distance and then another part that is either clear (no prescription) or a very very slight one for reading.

Are no line/progressives the way to go? Are they easy to adjust to? Any downsides?

Uggg....47 just sounds a lot older than 46 did.

• Like 1

Well, I've had bifocals since I was 19 ;). In my case, I'm horribly nearsighted, and I got bifocals to help minimize the need to constantly switch between my distance glasses and my reading glasses (a weaker prescription, because it hurts my eyes to focus on near things with my distance glasses but without any glasses I'd have to hold things three inches from my face).

I got the no-line progressive lens, because who wants obvious bifocals at 19? It took me about two or three days to get used to the change between looking straight ahead (through the distance portion) and looking down at the ground (through the reading portion), but it's been fine ever since. It only sort of solved the constantly changing glasses problem - I still use reading glasses for anything more than a few minutes of close work (the reading portion is currently set for 18 in away, and it turns out most of my reading/close work is done more at 12 inches; might see about changing that next set of glasses). But compared to before, when I changed for *everything*, even just 30 seconds of work, it is great. Before I *always* carried my reading glasses with me, everywhere, but now they live on my end table (I still carry them around the house if I am reading elsewhere, but I don't carry them in my purse anymore).

So overall I'm pretty pleased with them - I had them for 17 years now.

I really like my progressives. I've worn them quite a few years, but when I first got them, it took me a couple of days to get used to them. I felt kind of dizzy and just "off." After that initial adjustment, they've been great. The only downside I know of is that I think they are more expensive than bifocals. I've never worn bifocals, so I can't compare the two.

I have a similar issue. I do have progressives but I really don't need them for reading. So, I generally don't wear my glasses inside my house at all. But I do need them for driving and I like the mid-range for shopping. It makes it easy to see the items on the shelf.

I find the near distance to be awkward because I need to hold my head at an angle I don't find comfortable for reading. So, until I need them 'more' I just use them for mid and distance vision.

I have a very strong prescription and an astigmatism to boot.  I had been dreading bifocals for years but got so tired of taking my glasses on and off to see different things.  It took a few days for things to stop being wavy out of the corner of my eyes but otherwise I absolutely love them.  I had given up night driving about 10 years prior because the glare and rings around lights made it so I couldn't reliably see the side of the rode or the lane lines.  But after my first ride at night with my new glasses I was pleasantly surprised to discover all the glare was gone. So now I can safely drive at night again.  That alone was worth a few days adjustment but it's also great not to constantly have to move my glasses to see fine detailed things

• Like 1

When I got my bifocals, the doctor told me that they wouldn't work for the area about an arms length away. So, they work for reading (I don't notice the bifocal line) and for distance, but I use strong reading glasses for the computer screen.

I'm taking a computer class, and I need my regular bifocal glasses to see the board and the instructor, but I change them out for the readers when I look at my computer screen! Other than the computer screen, I see everything all the time.

I didn't want progressives because I've battled vertigo in years past and there was no way that I was going to endure self-inflicted "off-ness." I know that I would have eventually adjusted to them, but I just counldn't do it.

Edited by Fifiruth

I probably should get bifocals, too, but I chickened out last year.  I've been battling migraines for over a year and I thought that adding bifocals to the mix would not be a good idea.  (I'm pretty sure that the migraines are not caused by vision issues or I would have gotten them.)

*When* I get my bifocals I'm not sure if I will get lines or not.

Dd7 has had bifocals for several years.  The doctor said that children adjust more quickly than adults.  It took her -- literally -- 5 seconds to adjust.  I was amazed.  Since she was so young, I wanted to have a distinct difference between the two lenses to help her to identify where she needed to look.  A day after she got them, I asked her how she liked her new glasses.  She was so cute.  She said, "These lines help me see better!"   :001_wub:

I've been wearing bifocals since I started wearing glasses at age 3. Not fun being a little girl and having old people tell you that you are too young for bifocals. I have had progressives for years and they are great.

My mom told me she had a learning curve when she had to start wearing them. Narrowed peripheral vision and some difficulty with stairs at first. It didn't take her long to adapt.

• Like 2

my first pair of progressives were so disorienting - I had them switched out to straight bifocals.  

for how it goes - depends upon your rx, and the size of the lens.  (which affects how much room they have to progress from one rx to the other rx.)

there are pretty chains that you can attach the ear pieces on your glasses - then you don't lose them.

I have "office progressives" for my computer - and I wear them around the house way too often.  I don't need the really far stuff.   I have regular glasses for that.  I do need to get new glasses (i have the rx.)

I have worn progressives for several years and I like them. I don't even notice the distance ranges most of the time. It did take two days to adjust. The only thing I find difficult is stairs because looking down through the reading portion at the stairs doesn't work very well. So I just take it slowly on steps. They  have different quality lenses to choose from now. Much better visibility on the sides. I'm sure your eye care professional will explain all the options. :)

I got my first pair of glasses -- and my first progressive bifocals -- when I was around 44. I knew my near vision was going, but I had no idea my distance vision wasn't quite up to par either. I've had progressives ever since. I like them very much, but I don't know what it would be like having any other type of glasses. I know some people have trouble adjusting to progressives, but It took me all of an hour or two to get used to them.

DH started off in his mid-40's with glasses just for working on the computer (he's an IT guy) and reading. He quickly got so tired of taking them on and off and keeping up with them that when he was due for a prescription change he got progressives with a clear lens for distance. It took him several days, maybe a week to get used to them and he was (I think) getting a little frustrated. But once he adjusted he loved them.

Just last month I went from NEVER needing glasses to needing bifocals. Aging is so fun.

I opted for two separate pairs of glasses: one for reading and one for distance. I just couldn't fathom going directly into bifocals.

Edited by Kinsa

Just last month I went from NEVER needing glasses to needing bifocals. Aging is so fun.

I opted for two separate pairs of glasses: one for reading and one for distance. I just couldn't fathom going directly into bifocals.

We might be long lost twins. How do you keep track of 2 pairs of glasses? I keep loosing my one pair.

My kids do want me to get the "chain like old grannies wear"....not sure I am ready for that either.

I am thinking progressive are much more expensive and not likely on the Walmart $39 a pair list like my current glasses.

My wife has Bifocals from ZenniOptical she bought last October. She loves them, but she is going to get a new Prescription (hopefully today or tomorrow), and then order a different Frame from Zenni, with a larger vertical height for the lenses.  I suggest that if you order Bifocals, that  you do not order a frame where the vertical height of the lenses is small, so that you will not be looking down into the frame.  A larger lens, with more vertical height, is helpful to the person wearing Bifocals.  

When I got my bifocals, the doctor told me that they wouldn't work for the area about an arms length away. So, they work for reading (I don't notice the bifocal line) and for distance, but I use strong reading glasses for the computer screen.

I'm taking a computer class, and I need my regular bifocal glasses to see the board and the instructor, but I change them out for the readers when I look at my computer screen! Other than the computer screen, I see everything all the time.

I didn't want progressives because I've battled vertigo in years past and there was no way that I was going to endure self-inflicted "off-ness." I know that I would have eventually adjusted to them, but I just counldn't do it.

My dad got trifocals for seeing the computer screen as well.

We might be long lost twins. How do you keep track of 2 pairs of glasses? I keep loosing my one pair.

My kids do want me to get the "chain like old grannies wear"....not sure I am ready for that either.

I am thinking progressive are much more expensive and not likely on the Walmart $39 a pair list like my current glasses.

I find it is not the cost of the glasses that make my glasses expensive -- its the lens.  But my prescription is -9 and stronger in both eyes.

I do expect to need bifocals the next time I go and I'm putting off going partly for that reason. I just turned 44 this week.

Pretty much, I only use my glasses in two situations: driving and reading.

For driving, I keep them in my purse.

For reading, which mostly is done at the kitchen table, I keep them on a shelf next to the kitchen table.

But I admit that I don't wear them often. Probably not as often as I should.

I got special glasses just for the computer because with my bifocals, I had to either tilt my head back at a weird angle or move my chair away about 3 feet. Does the trick.

I had to purchase a separate pair if reading/computer glasses, too, because of the neck strain due to tilting my head back to use the bifocals at the computer.

When I first needed bifocals, I tried progressives. I have a lot of astigmatism and prisms. After 6 weeks of trying to get used to them, I gave up. Because I really didn't want bifocals, I purchased glasses from Chemestrie. I had my distance vision on my frames and reading glasses on the attachable magnetic frame. (Think of magnetic clip on sunglasses. Same concept, but with prescription lenses instead.) I liked them, but found I was constantly removing the reading frames.

I currently have bifocals and will be updating my glasses soon. I'm thinking I will likely go back to the other glasses with clip on frames because I'm finding I also need a mid vision prescription and don't want trifocals. I can put on my mids when I need them and put on the reading lenses when I need those, too. We'll see what happens. Ultimately, I would like corrective surgery, but that likely won't happen for a few years. I'm tired of wearing glasses!

Ottakee, at least you made it to 47. I started having trouble two years ago, at 41, and now at 43 I'm thinking it's really time. I'm still kind of ticked about it. 

I have a very strong prescription and an astigmatism to boot.  I had been dreading bifocals for years but got so tired of taking my glasses on and off to see different things.  It took a few days for things to stop being wavy out of the corner of my eyes but otherwise I absolutely love them.  I had given up night driving about 10 years prior because the glare and rings around lights made it so I couldn't reliably see the side of the rode or the lane lines.  But after my first ride at night with my new glasses I was pleasantly surprised to discover all the glare was gone. So now I can safely drive at night again.  That alone was worth a few days adjustment but it's also great not to constantly have to move my glasses to see fine detailed things

This is me. I never thought about new glasses being able to fix the nighttime glare rings! It's not terrible right now, but it can be very annoying.