Menu

The doorbell rang and the meat truck was in my driveway

RootAnn

DD was hosting a homeschool teen party & the doorbell rang. We figured the last expected kid was at the door, but DD popped her head into our room & said, "Some guy is at the door??"

It was the Meat Truck! (A pickup with a topper on the back.) The guy said, "Hey Momms," and then introduced himself. He said he & his partner had just finished their rounds and the boss said they had to come back with an empty truck, so he had some mean deals for me. (DH said the guy talked like he was in the Ant Man movie.)

I turned the guy down & went back inside. I then proceeded to explain to DH about WTM Meat Truck lore. He had never heard of selling meat off the back of a truck.

Later, I did a search so he could read some of the old threads. I laughed until I cried. 

Thanks, Hive. I was prepared because of you!

• Like 13

I dunno, but in some of the older threads, some people did actually buy the meat. DH & I agreed that the truck did NOT look refrigerated at all (just a pickup with a regular topper on it - perhaps there were styrofoam coolers in the back - we didn't check). On a hot day like today and this late in the day, it was just a NO.

:lol:  But, boy was I glad for the Hive giving me a heads up on the Meat Guy.

• Like 1

One stopped by our place a few weeks ago. I had *just* gotten a bunch of beef from off of another truck from our local grassfed farmer...I couldn't have found space for truck meat if I'd wanted to. I'm sure looked at him funny. My mom bought truck meat a couple times back in the day. We get grassfed beef from the Office Depot parking lot now. 😂

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 1

That's awesome, lol! I have never seen a meat truck anywhere I've lived, but one of those foreign college kids selling books came by last week. Thanks to the Hive I recognized it pretty quick, declined, and shut the door. He kept asking questions thru the door, lol. 😅

MY office is street level on a busy street.  We get the meat guy every year or so.  A couple of people in the office have bought it.  They said it was okay.  But no matter how I calculated it, there was no savings from the market (btw--try calculating a savings from Omaha Beef).

The bigger scam we see.is a 25 yr old lady or man trying to pass themselves off as students from the local high school doing a fundraiser.  They come dressed like a teen with a backpack.. For kicks, I told the last one that my son goes to that h.s., you must know him because he is captain of the football team, editor of the paper, and student body president.  If you can tell me his name, I will give you a $1000 donation.  Oh well, then if you can show me your student ID, I will still give you the $1,000.   I did not write a check that day.

• Like 3

This afternoon someone knocked on the door. I was nursing my 6 month old on the couch so I ignored it. All 4 of my older kids stood staring at the window next to the door wanting to know who it was without going to the door and being seen. They were hoping someone would peek their head at the window. At the second knock my oldest asked if he should check who it was. I told him no because it was probably the meat truck guy or a JW. So they stood staring. A second late my dh poked his head at the window. He had left his house key inside!

• Like 2

Sounds like the time we spent a few months in central, rural Mexico. Every day a different delivery truck or several would come by piping out some music through a speaker to let the neighbourhood know that they had arrived. You could then run out and stop them if you wanted what they were selling. The propane truck played the Rocky theme song. The grossest to me was the guy selling raw milk out of canister in the back of his pick-up. You'd take your pitcher out there and he'd fill it up for you for some cheap price. The lady we were living with would buy it and pasteurise it. I don't remember if there was meat truck but it wouldn't have surprised me. Usually meat was sold in the weekly market. It would sit out all day and some lady would sit there shooing flies off of it. We ate a lot of eggs.

• Like 2

We were visited by the meat truck shortly after we started homeschooling. It was definitely a refrigerated thing. It was branded like a franchise. Schwans? Something.

Yeah, Schwann's is an actual company. They sell all kinds of stuff in their definitely refrigerated/freezer truck. Their peach pie is heavenly. They've got desserts, casseroles, meals, appetizers, and yummy ice cream treats.

Or they did - way back in the day.

But the "meat truck" meat truck has no branding, usually no set price list, and rarely a refrigerated truck.

They are different animals.

• Like 3

Yeah, Schwann's is an actual company. They sell all kinds of stuff in their definitely refrigerated/freezer truck. Their peach pie is heavenly. They've got desserts, casseroles, meals, appetizers, and yummy ice cream treats.

But the "meat truck" meat truck has no branding, usually no set price list, and rarely a refrigerated truck.

The meat trucks around here are branded - Capitol Meats. The trucks are wrapped all over with advertising wrap that looks like flames froma grill.

Schwanns is a different thing though. DH's father used to buy from Schwanns all the time. They had the big 5 gallon ice cream buckets.

• Like 1

The meat trucks around here are branded - Capitol Meats. The trucks are wrapped all over with advertising wrap that looks like flames froma grill.

Schwanns is a different thing though. DH's father used to buy from Schwanns all the time. They had the big 5 gallon ice cream buckets.

Quill and I have the same type of meat truck. They were here last week. It looked like on of my neighbors made a purchase.
  • Like 1

Capitol Meats is our truck too.

• Like 1

ME TOO!!!!  I almost posted yesterday.  The door bell rang about 6 pm and there was the meat truck guy!!!!  I thought it was our neighbor coming over to get dh's help for some home improvement project.  But, no!  It was the meat truck guy!!!  First time

I must be remembering the name wrong because this guy left a catalog of sorts that was all different kinds of meat. Nothing else. No pie, no ice cream. Just meat. He came back a few times to see if we'd changed our minds.

• Like 1