Menu

Where all have you lived? Which area did you like the best? And,

Michigan- for 37 of my 38 years. I hate it here. I live near Detroit and it is flat and full of factories and cement and in the winter it is cold, gray and looks like a nuclear fallout zone. The people are crabby and the traffic is a zoo. The economy is in the toilet. Did I mention I hate it here?

North Carolina- Near Asheville. Absolutlely stunning. My heart is still there and we are doing everything we can to move back there as soon as possible.

Michigan- for 37 of my 38 years. I hate it here. I live near Detroit and it is flat and full of factories and cement and in the winter it is cold, gray and looks like a nuclear fallout zone. The people are crabby and the traffic is a zoo. The economy is in the toilet. Did I mention I hate it here?

North Carolina- Near Asheville. Absolutlely stunning. My heart is still there and we are doing everything we can to move back there as soon as possible.

See Heather, you need to move to Grosse Pointe!!! LOL My kids would LOVE it if you moved here actually!! There's a house across the street for sale . . . . . .

Oh man. We've been in beautiful, sunny CA for 10 years and would love to move back to suburban Detroit.

Guest janainaz

So. California - cramped, money, money, money, work, work, work, I HATE the beach - not my cup-of-tea

Oklahoma - love the houses in OKC - big, brick, beautiful - great Christmas lights. Big hair, nice handbags - stuffy, aritificial, humid, bad hair days.

Texas - I was 6 - seemed fine.

Arizona - Fairly cheap, good weather for 8 straight months, dry climate = good hair! What else matters! No, but, really - I miss the brick homes and change-of-season. Summers are crap.

Hawaii

Texas- Houston and Austin

Wyoming- Casper

Mount Vernon, Virginia

Japan

Winter Park, FL

Saratoga Springs, NY

New London, CT

Hawaii- again

Saint Paul, MN

St. Marys, GA

Stafford, VA

Hawaii- again

I have liked them all for different reasons. As for a place to settle down? That is the million dollar question in our family. It will definitely be on the east coast and somewhere south of Washington, DC- unless we could live in Pennsylvania. We loved Pennsylvania when we visited last year.

Jo

Ahhh, navy life. :)

I wonder if we ever crossed paths, Jo? Dh and I were in Texas and have settled here now, but the navy took us to Saratoga, New London, Virginia, St Mary's and Guam. We only stopped in Hawaii a few times, never lived there.

As a kid I lived in NJ, Kansas, Minneapolis, PA, and Texas. Before I got married, I lived in Montana, NC and VT.

Economically, Texas is wonderful. We have a small ranch, low taxes, good job opportunities for dh. As far as culture and history, CT and PA are so close to many things. I always enjoyed living in the NE. :)

I've lived in PA my whole life, but in three different areas:

grew up in rural/small-town central PA-- we were so small-town, we had no "cool" stores in our area. There was no peer pressure to wear name brand clothes, because *no one* in our school wore name brand clothes. I was 15 before I set foot in a mall that had stores like The Limited or The Gap. I think it was sort of like the town in Napoleon Dynamite. :001_smile: I loved it, though, and I love to go back and visit. They're selling out though, because just last month they built a Target and a STARBUCKS!!! That is total culture clash right there.

Lived for 13 year in the Philly suburbs-- loved the city, didn't like the suburbs; too much traffic, grey, cluttered, boring

Lived for 3 years here in York PA-- my favorite place that I've ever lived. It's beautiful, rural, family friendly, convenient shopping.. I just love it, and hope we never move again.

Erica

St. Paul, MN & New Ulm, MN - born and spent my teen years here

Chicago, IL - college

London, England - for a year

NYC, NY - 6 wonderful years

Suburban, NJ - like it here

I'd love to live in Boulder, CO - love the weather, love the city. Unfortunately, my bread winner is a Wall Street guy and must, therefore, live near the actual Wall St.

Born and raised in Austin, Texas - I Love Austin!!!

Stephenville, Texas - too country

Granbury, Texas - too small, middle of nowhere

Cleburne, Texas - bigger than Granbury, but still too small for me

Azle, Texas - still small, but near Fort Worth

Chino, California - part-time (over summer) as a kid. It was great, but that's a child's perspective, not sure about stores, schools or jobs...

I love Austin, I can't wait to move back to Austin. I would drop everything to move back tomorrow if I could. It is a melting pot of so many different people, everyone is accepted.

I lived in 3 rural Missouri towns until college. College was in Columbia, MO, then...

Sacramento, CA--unfriendly

Merced, CA--smelly garlic plant!

Minot, ND--long, long winter

Augusta, GA--beautiful golf course

Greenville, SC

now in a St. Louis suburb

South Carolina was our favorite, by far. Beach and mountains nearby, nice people. Missouri is home, though, and we enjoy being near family. The homeschooling community is wonderful, and the weather doesn't stay hot for long in the summer, nor cold for long in the winter.

Chelle

Edited by Chelle in MO
Forgot the details

Both my parents were in the military, we moved a lot, but not out of the US except for once in Thailand. I was 3 and spoke Korean, Thai and English. I have a vague memory of my mom fussing at me "In English!...no, in English!"

One of my favorite places was Diehl, and Anchorage, AK. I have awesome memories and didn't want to leave. We ended up in Central. PA where my parents retired. The town, just last year, got it's own Target and Starbucks. I enjoy visiting, but didnt' enjoy living there as a teen.

Ava

Edited by Dani n Monies Mom

Where all have you lived? Which area did you like the best? And, add a thought that stands out about each area.

Kentucky

Lousianna

Germany (twice)

Monterey, CA (3 times)

Arizona

West Virginia

Texas

Maryland (twice)

Georgia

Yorkshire England

I have had severe cases of bronchitis only 3 times in my life -- all in the same local. (CA) If you like to see fog roll in and out, this is the place for you rolls out about 10 and back in about 4.

Can't stand sand / beaches. (CA & GA)

Sand gnats are horrendous (GA)

I missed thunderstorms in England.

Rape weed is a big agricultural product in Europe -- I'm allergic. . .

I like changes in seasons, but I LOVE being warm

There's a huge humidity difference between the US and Europe (they have less). I wonder what the scientific cause of that is???

Both my parents were in the military, we moved a lot, but not out of the US except for once in Thailand. I was 3 and spoke Korean, Thai and English. I have a vague memory of my mom fussing at me "In English!...no, in English!"

One of my favorite places was Diehl, and Anchorage, AK. I have awesome memories and didn't want to leave. We ended up in Central. PA where my parents retired. The town, just last year, got it's own Target and Starbucks. I enjoy visiting, but didnt' enjoy living there as a teen.

Ava

Where in central PA is it? I grew up in Sunbury.

Massachusetts

England

Australia (Victoria: Preston then Rosanna, then Bendigo)

Maine

Minnesota

Wyoming

Minnesota (again)

New Hampshire

All had good points and bad...if I could move to anyone of these again..well it would be Wyoming, unless I could bring my pets to the Snowy Mountain region of Victoria Australia..that would be even better..but, alas, cannot bring animals there (they have no rabies there and don't want to chance getting it)..so i won't. I'll stay here in New England. At least most of our families are here too!

My list pales in comparison to most of you...

Palm Springs, Ca.

Massachusetts- Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree, Hull and Brockton.

I miss/liked the food in Mass.- namely a good bar pizza and eggplant parm. subs, I miss the Sox and the Bruins.

Nashville, Tn.

In Nashville I like the diversity of the people and it's still maintaining it's friendly reputation.

as a young child:

Venzuela (sp) South America- dad was an oil field foreman. The bugs were huge, enjoyed first grade there.

West Texas oilfields- dusty, boring

High School-

Oregon - first 3 years of high school there. Loved it, loved my high school and my friends

Wichita Falls, Texas - moved there my senior year, hated it. Flat, no trees, great sunsets tho

moved to Calif - lived in Studio City (outside of Hollywoood) loved it, worked in films . I understand it is now a horrible place to live, but in the late ''1970's it was lots of fun and safe.

back to Texas , this time College Station - loved it, great college town, met hubby there at A & M

South Jersey shore area -- love, love it here. walking distance to the beach, small town, except in the summer

Born in Excelsior Springs, Missouri

Moved to Garland, TX when I was 7

Moved to Richardson, TX when I was 11

Moved to Nacadoches, TX for college

Back to Richardson, then to Plano, TX when I got married.

During that marriage, we moved to McKinney, TX

Divorced and moved back to Richardson

Met DH and moved to Richmond, near Houston. I plan to stay put...:D

Mckinney and Richmond are tied as my favorites

Edited by Rich with Kids

Where in central PA is it? I grew up in Sunbury.

Carlisle, PA

I remember moving there when I turned 15. My first introduction to Amish country. Beautiful, but you don't appreciate it much when you're champing at the bit to be out and going places. It seems like I did more in Anchorage, AK then I did in Carlisle. But I love going back to visit. BTW, I went to Boiling Springs H.S., if you're at all familiar with the locale.

Ava

Born - Landstuhl, Germany

Anniston, Alabama

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

West Point, New York

Monterey, California

Ansbach, Germany

Wuerzburg, Germany

Clinton, Mississippi (the place I'd most like to forget, no offense to MS people)

Fargo/Moorhead, North Dakota/Minnesota (college, I kept changing apartments :D)

And Now I'm in New Mexico. When My hubby wanted to move here, I said, "I've never been to the southwest. COOL!" We were looking to move to Oregon earlier this year, but it didn't happen. We'll see where we end up next! I LOVE Minnesota, but there's an awful lot of snow and mosquitoes up there. We Love New Mexico too, but sometimes I long for the color Green:D

ps Can you tell I'm an Army Brat?

I have had severe cases of bronchitis only 3 times in my life -- all in the same local. (CA) If you like to see fog roll in and out, this is the place for you rolls out about 10 and back in about 4.

[/i]

:iagree:

You are dead on about Monterey. We lived there just under a year (dad was in the language school), and that was enough. I would love to visit with my kids, but I would have a hard time living there year round. The undertow was so bad on their beaches, we almost lost my sister one day. She was just playing on the edge, building a sand castle (no swimming allowed for obvious reasons) when the water reached her and took her out! Then, another time, my dad was walking in ankle deep water and holding my hand and he fell under and lost his glasses! I love the beach but I want to swim KWIM? We were living there when they opened the aquarium and that was fabulous! Plus, I loved sightseeing up and down the coast, Big Sur, Carmel, the redwoods. Someday I'll take my kids. CA is beautiful.

northwest Florida, right on the Gulf of Mexico, where the piney woods meet the sugar-white sands of the beach.

Things I love:

- climate - love the flip-flop, mostly one season wardrobe requirements

- low cost of living, particularly food & housing expenses

- seafood, sailing & scuba diving

- flora & fauna of the region

- familiarity with what I consider my home on earth

- a near-tangible "aura" about the place

Sigh. Can you tell I miss it? Caroline Ingalls I am not.....

Carlisle, PA

I remember moving there when I turned 15. My first introduction to Amish country. Beautiful, but you don't appreciate it much when you're champing at the bit to be out and going places. It seems like I did more in Anchorage, AK then I did in Carlisle. But I love going back to visit. BTW, I went to Boiling Springs H.S., if you're at all familiar with the locale.

Ava

Carlisle is a nice area! My husband drives through there on his way to work every day (he works in Shippensburg). I have heard of Boiling Springs High School, too. Small world! :)

Erica

Central Valley, CA - hate the weather and the smog and California politics, but family is the only thing keeping us here.

Bay Area, CA (East Bay) - Hated the traffic and the politics and the high prices, loved the weather

Central Kentucky - loved it, no family there, though.

Sao Paulo, Brazil - nice weather, hated the traffic, it was a big, stinking, horribly smoggy city. But, it was definitely an adventure.

As a child: northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin on the WI river

I loved it! I loved the trees, grass an green.

As an adult:

southeastern New Mexico (by the TX border)-I HATED it, no trees, grass or green; just dusty and the people talked to funny! Then there was that awful smell and ALL the pump jacks!

southeastern New Mexico college town closer to central NM-This is were NM started to grow on me. We had trees and grass, were within 2 hours of mountains with lakes.

central New Mexico-NM finished growing on me here. My house sets between beautiful mesas and the mountains right on the edge of an idian reservation. I love the wide open spaces, but being able to see the mountains

Virginia, 12 miles from DC-Again, trees and grass good; traffic and trying to find my way around bad. I HATED the bus system, I just couldn't figure out a route without having to spend hours on the bus. The Metro was neat, but I'm claustrophobic so going going under the river really threw me!

SLC, Utah - The most beautiful mountains I have EVER seen. God truly touched those mountains. The people were nice and the homeschooling community was wonderful. But I did miss the NM wide open spaces! If DH could find a good job and we could live rurally I'd move back to UT.

Have you been sniffing glue or something? No one in their right mind moves anywhere near Detroit if they can help it. :D

Why yes, yes I have been.

I love Detroit...truly. It breaks my heart to go home and see it now. I know its depressing there now but it wasn't always like that. Right?

See Heather, you need to move to Grosse Pointe!!! LOL My kids would LOVE it if you moved here actually!! There's a house across the street for sale . . . . . .

Well, yeah.

Everyone should live in Grosse Pointe. :D

But some of us had to live in the other towns so there could be people to say stuff like, "Yeah, but she lives in 'Grosse Pointe'. "

Limestone, Maine -- Born there, don't remember

Grand Forks, North Dakota -- Too young to remember

Papillion, Nebraska -- Ditto, though I remember tornados

Albuquerque, New Mexico -- Loved hot air ballooning with my dad as a child.

Oslo, Norway -- The BEST place I've every lived! I'd so live in Norway again--friendly, safe, beautiful scenery. Loved having the opportunity to travel easily.

Steinalben, Germany -- Our little village was wonderful. Fun living in a tiny community, hiking, observing traditions. And travelling.

Aurora, Colorado -- Fine. Suburban. Boring. Graduated from High School there.

Baltimore, Maryland -- College. I loved Baltimore! Great city, lots to do, easy to get around without a car, great cultural opportunities. I'd live there again eagerly.

Claremont, California -- Seminary. Love Claremont, but the Inland Empire is a bit dull. We did live for a year in a 150 year old historical adobe that was a museum, we lived in caretaker's apartment. That was pretty cool.

Tustin, California -- The OC. Behind the Orange Curtain. Nice area, but a bit flavorless for my taste. My dh loved it, though!

Los Angeles, Calfornia -- Actually in the Valley. I like that it is multi-cultural, easy to get to anything I want (stores, shows, culture), and vibrant. I can eat awesome deli food for breakfast, persian for lunch and fantastic authentic mexican for dinner without driving more than a few blocks. The food is great. Dh and I are both happy as transplanted Californiains (we've been here 16 years now) but I dislike the high prices and HEAT in the summer.

That's it!

Australia- Victoria- Horsham

- New South Wales- Deniliquin

-New South Wales- Hay

-Victoria- Echuca

-New South Wales- Moama

-Victoria -Ferntree Gully

-Victoria- Clematis

-Victoria -Emerald

-Victoria - Cockatoo

- Queensland- Broadbeach

- Victoria - Pakenham

-Victoria - Rowville

-Victoria - Berwick

United Arab Emirates - Dubai

Australia - Victoria - Berwick

United Arab Emirates - Sharjah

All of the above places have their pros and cons.

Some places were small/no transport etc

but the plus side of this was the sense of community

Loved the weather in all of the places I have lived in Oz ( as there are 4 seasons:D)

Weather in UAE is good for a few months of the year- rest of the time it is hot and HUMID ( yuck)

When we return to Oz- we will be settling just out of Ballarat in Victoria.

I grew up in central Florida. I liked being able to go to Disney, Sea World, etc., and of course the beaches which were not too far away. However, the humidity is killer, and there's not much in the way of interesting geography.

Now we live in the Phoenix area. We really like it a lot! We like the weather, and the different geographical regions and natural features to explore (desert, high country, Grand Canyon, Tonto Natural Bridge, waterfalls, etc.). We can go sledding or skiing in the winter just two hours' drive away. There's plenty to do; nice zoos and museums, concerts, etc. The beach is a bit farther away, though; the one is Mexico is 4 hrs., and southern California is 6 hours away. But that's a reasonable distance for a short vacation, and all the touristy stuff is available in California, too. I love going hiking in the hills and mountains around here. It's beautiful!

Wendi

Alexandria, VA

Some burb of Washington D.C

Chad

Upper Volta (I think it is Burkino Faso now)

McLean, VA

Morocco

Falls Church, VA

Barbados

McLean, VA

Centreville, VA

Gainesville, FL

Kenya

San Diego,CA

San Ysidro, CA

Anza, CA

...and now I am where I am

I think we're the only two (so far) who've lived in Morocco.:) I also have lived in Falls Church, VA.

My dad was in the Navy so as I grew up I lived in:

Jacksonville, FL

Norfolk, VA

Kanitra, Morocco

Omaha, Nebraska (SAC hdqtrs.)

Honolulu, HI (actually lived on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor)

Falls Church, VA

Spent 4 years in Harrisonburg, VA (JMU)

Lived in Falls Church, Arlington, Woodbridge and now Stafford, VA

I think we're the only two (so far) who've lived in Morocco.:) I also have lived in Falls Church, VA.

My dad was in the Navy so as I grew up I lived in:

Jacksonville, FL

Norfolk, VA

Kanitra, Morocco

Omaha, Nebraska (SAC hdqtrs.)

Honolulu, HI (actually lived on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor)

Falls Church, VA

Spent 4 years in Harrisonburg, VA (JMU)

Lived in Falls Church, Arlington, Woodbridge and now Stafford, VA

Kanitra? Where is that? That's very curious. People are usually in Rabat, Marakesh, or Casablanca.

Did you go to an American school in Kanitra or a French one?

Kanitra? Where is that? That's very curious. People are usually in Rabat, Marakesh, or Casablanca.

Did you go to an American school in Kanitra or a French one?

I spelled it wrong - it's Kenitra (with an e). It's about 40 miles north of Rabat. My dad was stationed at Port Lyaute Naval Air Base which is now closed. It was right in Kenitra. We lived out in the country though - it was beautiful.

I went to kindergarten at a school on base in a quonset hut.:)

I've lived in:

Meridian, MS - born there when my Dad was stationed at NAS Meridian.

Pensacola, FL - loved the beaches

Sigonella, Sicily - spent the remainder of a very happy childhood there

Mildenhall, England - went to high school at Lakenheath and graduated from there. Great place to be a teenager.

Columbus, MS - attended college at my Mom's alma mater.

Jackson, MS - lived on my own for the first time. Not the best city to be a single woman in (very unsafe) but I had a great job as an ER nurse and was already planning my wedding to my future husband, so it made the time pass by quickly.

Hampton, VA - my first house with my husband. We lived 20 minutes from Kings Dominion and loved riding roller coasters on the weekends. Lots of fun.

Phoenix, AZ - We only lived here for 11 months. I was pregnant with our first child and remember that it was 115 degrees outside the day I delivered.

Clovis, NM - nothin' but wind, cows and peanuts.

San Antonio, TX - loved, loved, loved TX. We spent many happy hours cruising the River Walk.

Columbus, MS - back a second time. It was fun to live (again) in the city where I went to college and met my husband.

Montgomery, AL - can I say, "hot and humid?"

PyongTaek, South Korea - we've only been here a few months but I'm having fun learning about the Korean culture.

Grew up in Sturgis, MI. Didn't appreciate it until I moved away! Cute, small town - typical middle America - everyone knows everyone.

I grew up in Sturgis, MI!!! Small world. :D

I lived in Sturgis from 2nd grade through my sophomore year in high school (1990.)

Not bad. Cold, dark in the winter, nice town.

Before that, I was in Traverse City, MI. I loved living on Lake Michigan. I was young but have only great memories of that area.

Finished high school in Kalamazoo, MI. Larger town than Sturgis which is nice for high school. Still cold and dark in the winters. I already knew I was going to attend college in Florida. I applied to five colleges - four of them in FL.

Went to college in St. Petersburg, FL. I loved the college and loved the hot weather and being right on the Gulf of Mexico. The town was a bit too large for me, but overall very happy.

I spent a month in Athens, Greece thanks to a scholarship from my college. This is still my favorite city ever. I almost didn't get back on the plane - REALLY! I am still homesick for Greece now and then.

Fort Myers, FL I really enjoyed living there. Met my dh and had all four children there. We lived on the river, were less than 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, the weather was hot and sunny all year. I loved it. But a couple of years ago the growth got out of hand. The town is now too large and really struggling economically. We just arrived home from visiting yesterday and agree that it was a wise decision to move and wouldn't move back.

We now live in northwest Florida. It is absolutely beautiful here. There are less than 1000 people in our town, still hot and sunny most of the time but wonderful cool evenings in the winter. There is nature and wildlife everywhere. BUT there is no culture, AT ALL. There is no theater, or art, no museums of any sort, not even a decent a library. Nothing.

Overall, I love Florida but Athens is my favorite city ever.

My boys would love it too!! Does Grosse Pointe have any mountian ranges? :D I really miss the mountains.

LOL! I wish there were mountains!! One of my favorite places on vacation was the Denver area. I just LOVED the mountains.

Have you been sniffing glue or something? No one in their right mind moves anywhere near Detroit if they can help it. :D

Hey!! Careful there! :lol:

I love Detroit...truly. It breaks my heart to go home and see it now. I know its depressing there now but it wasn't always like that. Right?

Isn't it sad? All those old beautiful buildings sitting empty. Since we moved here a few years ago I've seen a change for the better. Downtown is really quite nice. The art museum is wonderful! The science center is nice too. I'm feeling safer down there at night.

Well, yeah.

Everyone should live in Grosse Pointe. :D

But some of us had to live in the other towns so there could be people to say stuff like, "Yeah, but she lives in 'Grosse Pointe'. "

Heehee. Dh grew up on the west side of Detroit - Troy. It is so funny to hear how much of a divide there is between west siders and east siders!! Of course, I prefer the east side (but I've never lived on the west side!). The lack of traffic over here is SOOO worth it!!