Menu

Let's talk sewing rooms!

PeterPan

Do you have a room or a space or a table where you sew? I wanna get myself psyched up to tidy my space, so I was going to let you talk about yours! Any nifty tricks or how you make it flow? A favorite wall color? I have yellow walls on two sides and brown masonry (unchangeable) on another. I was thinking of changing the yellow and going BOLD. Apple green maybe.

I saw a pink (pretty pink, not hot) sewing room once I liked. Anything neat about yours or that you enjoy? Pysch me up to get mine tidied so I can sew again! My dd took it over for a few years, and when she moved out she left it a WRECK! And, she took all my favorite stuff to boot!! So yeah, rats, need to buy new rotary cutters, rulers, etc. :D

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I have a sewing corner in our school room. Two walls are a pale gray, two are aqua blue. It's very cheery!

There is a shelf on the wall over my desk for sewing books.

Right now the sewing table is a mess but I do love having a dedicated place to sew.

Check out The Made Everyday Blog, she has a beautiful, dream, sewing room.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose house is referred to by her whole social circle as "the sewing room." I go there. You name it, she's got plenty of it. Space, sewing machines, cutting table, a huge long-arm for quilting, and etc. etc.

In my own house I have a largish desk with a sewing machine.

• Like 1

I have a lot of natural light on my sewing room and boring tan walls. I needed the plain color so I can hang whatever quilt I want above my machine. I love having a quilt hanging there. 

I use a rolling cart with drawers to separate projects.  Strict rule- one project per drawer and if I run out of drawers I can't plan any new projects.  Yes, I still buy fabric on speculation (I'm always looking for patriotic fabric for Quilts of Valor) but collecting fabric is somehow different than having too many projects in progress. 

So envious of my oldest dd- they just bought a house in Florida and they have a beautiful enclosed porch that is super shady from trees in the back yard.  It's her sewing studio and she can sew while watching the kids play in the back yard, which is fenced in.  Nature all around and it's so soothing. 

• Like 2

My sewing room is a small room dh carved out for me out of the space that is our master bedroom. It's not very big, but it fits the bill quite nicely. It has a door that locks with a key so I can keep small people out of it.

The walls are cream. One wall has a high shelf, six inches or so from the ceiling; it holds a basket for WIPs, my ball winder, my sleeve board, and some labeled plastic boxes of buttons, snaps, etc. Under the shelf is a magnetic whiteboard. Under that is a table space that dh built. It's made to fit my short little self. It's got room for my big knitting bag, some open space, and my serger and sewing machine. He put holes in the table for the cords and several outlets underneath. There are also boxes underneath for embroidery supplies, gift wrap supplies, and other notions.

The other wall (perpendicular to the left of the other one) also has a high shelf, 12 or 15 inches from the ceiling, for books and my iron. It has a table space big enough for my cutting mat (which lives there permanently) and my big ironing pad (which I fold up and store underneath when not in use). DH set the table out from the wall just a bit so there is a space in the back so I can drop large sheets of fabric down when ironing. There are outlets underneath as well as on top of that table space for easy plugging in of my iron or an electronic device. My yarn bins live under that table. My fabric bins live in the walk-up attic.

DH put an LED light with a dimmer switch in there. I love the dimmer switch! There are no windows in it, but there's a little natural light from the small room on the right of it (a small workroom for DH).

The corner where the two table spaces meet sticks out a bit because it covers an old chimney, so I put my two big thread racks on the little walls that cover the chimney.

• Like 4

I used to! I had a long table for laying out and cutting and pinning. I had a dedicated ironing spot. I kept some fabric on bolts, and others in baskets, sorted by color like a rainbow. I had all of my thread racks hung, also by color. I also hung my smaller cutting mats and rotary cutters. I kept a bag always packed with portable sewing projects to take with me.

I also did a lot of paper arts and other crafty stuff. It was all out and available so I didn't have to spend 30 min setting up and tearing down.

The closet of the room was set up as a play area for my children. They could watch me, and could play, but they had a defined (large) space to be in.

In my current home, I have an IKEA bureau to hold all of my craft and sewing supplies.

• Like 2

I only feel like sewing a couple times a year, but when I do I set up a 6'x4' table and use ALL of that space. I have a home dance studio that becomes my sewing room. I set up the ironing board and leave it all up for at least a week. I can still see the busy parts of the house and remain in the loop. I'm sure this isn't ideal with little kids, but it's great when everyone is older. For me, light and LOTS of table space are what I need.

• Like 2

I used to and it was wonderful.  I could leave the ironing board up, and I could also just sit down and sew whenever I had a spare half hour.  We have downsized and I now have an office/sewing room and it takes about 20 minutes to get everything set up.  Irritating.  And then I finally DID sit down to sew last week, and the dang machine was wonky so that had to go into the shop (it had been several years...)  

I have a Koala Kabinet (an older one, the one they don't make anymore) and a Koala fold-out cutting table/storage cabinet.  The rule is that (barring fabric) all the hobbies have to fit in there.  I am a dilettante and so I sew, then I watercolor, then I do photography, then I bead, then I cross-stitch, then I calligraphy, and only about 5 hobbies will fit in that cabinet@!!@!

I miss my dedicated sewing room.  When my son moves out, I will paint his room and move the guest room in there and use the guest room which I just painted the most beautiful color for my getaway room.  Including sewing.  

One thing about wall color:  it reflects and so if you are doing color matching (like in quilting) it is better to have a lighter and more neutral color.  It doesn't have to be white or gray or beige, but I think I'd stay away from brights or bolds.  Yellow is supposed to spur on creativity, so maybe a pale yellow that picks up the right color in the other walls.  My old wonderful sewing room was a sage green and had a lot of natural light.  The room I will have in the future is Benjamin Moore Palladium Blue and I just go stand in that room from time to time because the color makes me happy.  :0)

I am so excited as I am building a she shed right now. It is going to be mostly for video games with nice gaming chairs and a sound system, etc. But, behind the game chairs, I will have a large table, built a little higher with a few bar height stools. The table will have storage for Lego's, craft, and sewing supplies. I have not completely finished the table design, but one end will be made like those old Singer sewing tables with a slits for the fabric to go through.

• Like 1

:lurk5:

This is a perfect thread for a holiday.  Thank you.

I love these suggestions . . . and hope to have a sewing corner of our guest room when we have an Emptier Nest!

For now, I pull everything out of my (walk-in) closet when it's time to mend or sew.

I do love my Mary Engelbriet sewing tin, which helps make mending appealing:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_DX4e0cYOe8s%2FS6qF29ITs_I%2FAAAAAAAAAZI%2FM2JnyeYJ7Rw%2Fs1600%2Ftin2.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpineneedlesatgardnervillage.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F03%2F&docid=4Wr1GfjwGH_1_M&tbnid=NfNJezHavOvwuM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiJ35DR9-3UAhWD14MKHXi4C50QMwgoKAEwAQ..i&w=450&h=206&bih=610&biw=1366&q=mary%20engelbreit%20sewing%20tin&ved=0ahUKEwiJ35DR9-3UAhWD14MKHXi4C50QMwgoKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Thank you for all these ideas!

• Like 1

I use a small extra bedroom for my sewing room. It is painted a neutral off-white. I know some people prefer bright colors on the wall, but I really appreciate the white as it gives the room a more open feeling. On one wall I have open shelves from floor to ceiling where I store fabric, bins with patterns , buckets with various trims, elastic, etc., and jars with buttons and snaps organized according to color. In the center of the room is a large craft desk my husband built for me. It has plenty of space to hold my sewing machine, Serger, embroidery machine and a cutting mat. I have a very large framed peg board on one wall that I love. It's so nice to be able to hang up scissors, measuring tapes, hoops, cards of buttons, etc. and see what I actually have. I would highly recommend one if you have the wall space. I have a small dresser under the peg board which I painted a fun aqua color. It holds scrapbook supplies.

My absolute essentials for a sewing room would be lots and lots of light, a large desk or work space and plenty of storage.

• Like 1

I have a sewing corner in our school room. Two walls are a pale gray, two are aqua blue. It's very cheery!

There is a shelf on the wall over my desk for sewing books.

Right now the sewing table is a mess but I do love having a dedicated place to sew.

Check out The Made Everyday Blog, she has a beautiful, dream, sewing room.

Your walls do sound very cheery! Thanks for the blog links! :)

Ravin, when I started homeschooling, this room was our school room. Now ds has a smaller, private office with a door that shuts, so that whole, large room is open. Yes, it has an island (6X9), a long counter, another table, shelves, closets, and floor space. It has enough room for me to lay out quilts to do the layers, etc. It just got taken over by dd, who was really into her costuming gig. She has mannequins, all kinds of fabric, you name it. So now I'm trying to reclaim it, move out the kiddie stuff, and see what it can be. The one thing it doesn't have is natural light, sigh. Those best rooms are ds' office and ds' play area, go figure. :D  But yeah, if I could turn it into an area of envy, that would be fine I guess, lol. I need to occupy my mind with something besides autism, so I want to get back into quilting and piecing. The teeny detail work is very peaceful for me.

Annie, that's such a good point about what should be on the walls! I only have one long wall that is open, and it's above the long counter. I'm kinda wowed by that blog they linked with the stripes on one wall. I could do something like that and it might be wow. Right now I have large portraits of my dd from when she was little. One is her wearing a dress I made, and you can see the details. So it's not very artistic but it's a good memory. I have some pictures like that I could print of ds. The counter is a little deep to access bins hanging from the walls. I've never really pondered doing that. I have stackable drawers and baskets and things that sometimes I arrange behind the sewing machines. There's enough depth to the counter to do that. But really, I could think about some kind of storage or go more graphic with the pictures and paint, hmmm...

And yes, I keep my in-progress projects in drawers! Great minds think alike! :)  It's one of the few things I definitely wouldn't change. And yes, I collect fabrics for projects.  :blushing:

I love your point about the soothing. We have an old tv (MIL's who passed) and could bring that in. I like to listen to Jane Austen movies or music while I work, and I could stream stuff. Usually I just do it from the living room around the corner, but that might be a really wild thing to do something different and bring in a tv, hmm! And I think color would help with that. I don't know how close we could get it. It's sort of a funky, dark, back space. It EATS light, oh my. So I suppose some soothing might like colors to bounce the light would be really smart? Hmm. 

Happypamama, your space sounds very charming and super functional! My dh has done some similar things for me, like holes for cords. Love it!! 

The closet of the room was set up as a play area for my children. They could watch me, and could play, but they had a defined (large) space to be in.

That's a really interesting question what will happen in ds' mind when I do more sewing. He used to sit on my lap and pull out pins. Sometimes kids are funny like that... I'm hoping to get it cleared again, so he can run laps on his toys. He used to do that, going in circles around the island. It was sort of a stim and energy thing, all at once. :D

I only feel like sewing a couple times a year, but when I do I set up a 6'x4' table and use ALL of that space. I have a home dance studio that becomes my sewing room. I set up the ironing board and leave it all up for at least a week. I can still see the busy parts of the house and remain in the loop. I'm sure this isn't ideal with little kids, but it's great when everyone is older. For me, light and LOTS of table space are what I need.

I've done that!! When I made the curtains for the living room, I needed long tables, end to end, to iron them and put the layers together. And yes it was lovely having the light. Someday, when I no longer need play rooms and homeschool offices, maybe I'll switch to a room with light. His office is a smaller bedroom, but it has very pleasant light. I've imagined it as a jolly sewing room. Then I'd make the sewing room into some kind of dark, forboding media room, hahahaha... 

Oh Patty, you're so cracking me up! That is totally my life, trying one thing and then the next. But some things really just fit the age, like smocking when dd was young. And some things, well, you know, you gotta save the stuff in case you have grandkids to do it for.  :biggrinjester: Ooo, I hope he moves out soon so you can have your dedicated room! You've been patient long enough. :D

I'll go look up your BM Palladium Blue. I have enough yellow in the house to choke many cows on daisies. Like I really like yellow, but I'm done with it. Actually, I think that's what is in there now. You really only see it on the one long wall, because the other walls or masonry or broken up with lots of closet doors, cork boards, etc. Actually two of the walls are masonry, brown masonry. So that's what we're fighting conceptually. But I think I'll use y'alls terms and pair them with my dd's stellar color sense (she's home!) and see what we get to. There's just nothing more invigorating that picking paint. Well maybe except pondering a cruise. I've never been on a cruise.

Ok, what intelligent thing could I do with the big, classroom sized bulletin board I have on one of the walls? We installed it years ago (got it for free from a school). It's too small to lay out a whole quilt, like when people say they use a felt wall to lay out their quilt squares. Too small for that. But I actually have two, one that is large and square and another that is rectangular (run vertical), so I have some room there to do something nifty/creative...

I'll report back in a bit after I talk with my dd. This is getting me psyched. 

• Like 1

Good question. He has never offered to paint it. It's covered with a lot of stuff (book shelves, doors, bulletin boards, etc.), so you don't see much.

Dd is suggesting BM Blue for the walls, https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-a-room/1540/living-room-3?color=2066-10&source=%2Fen-us%2Fcolor-overview%2Ffind-your-color%2Fcolor-a-room%2F&combination=OC-65&room=1540  Sorta contradict's Patty's advice, but it does balance out the brown masonry and give the room some definition and bling.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Minnie, your she-shed sounds fun!!!

My absolute essentials for a sewing room would be lots and lots of light, a large desk or work space and plenty of storage.

Yeah, I can't make the light happen in this room, sigh. But I'm thinking I could up the energy somehow with color. I'm also thinking I could clear out one closet and stack fabric bins in there. Dd has been collecting, and it's really un-fun to have underfoot. I like the peace of having not too much going on, and right now the room just has too much going on!

Beth, your tins are adorable! 

• Like 1

Ooh, pick me, pick me! LOL! 

I finally do have a nice sewing room. It's one half of the upstairs "game room" so it's not 100% ideal, but it's really great for me. It's rectangle with 3 walls. 

On the long wall I have a double design wall -- we bought those foam insulation boards from the hardware store and covered them with a gray flannel. They are each 4 ft x 8 ft (I cut them down to about 7-ish feet; the tallest height I can reach :)) and they just lean against the wall right now. I may, one day, attach them to the wall but I wanted portability. 

On either side of that I have floor lamps that have an upward angled shade and an adjustable goose neck lamp that can be bent/twisted in any direction and aimed at whatever task at hand. (the adjustable goose neck is attached to the floor lamp, and the light is around shoulder height if adjusted all the way up). These are a fun coral color and natural light bulbs. 

On the first short wall I have an Ikea Hemnes dresser (8-drawer); my fabric is stored in the dresser. The small drawers hold fat quarters (2 drawers), layer cake/10" squares, charm squares, and precut shapes I've made from scraps using my AccuQuilt Go Cutter. The large drawers hold: anything bigger than a fat quarter up to 1.5 yards (2 drawers); anything bigger than 1.5 yards (1 drawer); scraps waiting to be sorted/managed. 

On top of the dresser I have my cutting mat (18" x 24"), my spool rack, my dies for the die cutter, and the cutter itself. Between the dresser and the wall I have a stack of boxes waiting to be filled with color-coded scraps (waiting on a bookshelf/chest/something that will go there....) and a bin with batting pieces. I have some large zipper bags that pillows came in, and I fold my batting, measure, label, and tuck into these bags. I also use them for finished tops waiting to be quilted or get binding. The bags store (for now) in a rubbermaid tote. The lamp is set up to angle onto the cutting table/area.

On the other short wall is a matching Hemnes secretary desk w/hutch on top. In the bottom of the secretary I have plastic boxes that hold my works-in-progress; these are clear bins I bought so I could see through them and fit the maximum number of projects in the shelves. In the secretary portion I have my laptop, note cards, pens, etc. In the top hutch I have books, patterns (I print patterns and sort them into binders arranged by size of project), magazines in magazine holders, ribbon/notions, sewing supplies, etc. On top is a bag full of bags, a bin with nothing in it at the moment, and my camera. 

In the center of the room is an extendable Ikea dining table in the same color as my other furniture (the black-brown color); the table is the longest one I could get to fit in my room and has 2 leaves so I can extend it longer if needed. It is fully long enough to hold a queen size bed quilt in front of my sewing machine while quilting, doing borders, adding binding, etc. My sewing machine sits on one end (next to the desk, as I share one chair between the two...) with a SewSteady extension table around it, and on the floor under my table I have a folding 6 ft table from Walmart that I pull out and set up alongside when quilting or doing borders/binding to hold the weight of the quilt on the left. Not pretty, and maybe one day I'll do a table skirt or something and add storage bins/drawers under my table or bookshelves or things, but for now it works. 

My ironing board usually stays between the table and the design wall, with that lamp angled that direction. 

Over the cutting table I have a double wide bulletin board covered in fabric and all my fun stuff pinned up there. 

I haven't painted yet and don't know what color I want. Right now it's cream. 

It's a very fun room, currently a huge mess, and that's my favorite part...not having to share the table means I can leave stuff out with no worries. 

I'm contemplating swapping my room and the computer room, where I could put up a baby gate or sliding barn door style door or something (to keep out furry family members) but I wouldn't actually gain space, and it's a lot of hassle to swap all that around for little gain. Meanwhile I just keep a really good lint roller to deal with the cat fur when I finish projects.....

• Like 3

Reader--Your space sounds way fun! Pictures, pictures! :D

I love being able to leave my ironing board out. Also, lamps. Good lighting is so important. Our room gets tons of sunlight but it's no use at night which is when I actually get a chance to sew.

Oh that's a good point! What am I whining about, because you're right that my sewing has to be at night! When I retire, then I can move it to sew in light of day, hehe...

• Like 1

Our business started many years ago as my small sewing business - we were living at the time in a tiny 2 bedroom house, and I used the laundry room/utility room as my sewing room (I took the laundry over to my mom's house).  I had a Singer 201-2 from the 40s, a big table, huge windows (it had at one point been a small sun porch, I think), and a set of cabinets.  When I stopped sewing for a living, I was so burned out that I put the machine in a closet and haven't gotten it out since.  I have just recently started to think about sewing again.  

We spend a lot of time using rotary cutters and mats; our favorites are the fiskars ones you can get at Walmart.  I did have a pair of Gingher shears back in the day, but honestly I like those big orange fiskars ones better.

• Like 2

OK, everyone get ready for the big eye roll.  Group Eye Roll.  

When my son was in K and 1st grade, I quilted many hours a day.  Just adored it.  I made about 15 quilts a year.  

Then we brought him home for homeschool.  I very carefully set up my sewing cabinet and shelves in a new spot where I could put HIS little desk and all the storage for the art and crayons and books at a 90* angle so I could sew while he did all his little worksheets without any fussing, following instructions to a T and working cheerfully.  

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.  

That lasted 15 minutes.

EternalSummer, that's really interesting that you got so burnt out. My dd is avid about her sewing, but her career testing results are pointing her other directions. I think there's something to that, and we've counseled her that she has LOTS of gifts and to develop ALL of them... Anyways, I hope you get to sew again soon with something you enjoy! Thanks for the tips! :)

Oh Patty Joanna, you're a hoot! Yes, that was the warning I got when my dd was little, not to spend a lot of time sewing. My dd is now 18 and leaving, and I think I can find little sprigs of time for myself. I have an ABA worker come in 3 hour chunks multiple days a week, and it gives me a little time to do something relaxing. That's how I'm doing the cleaning now on the room, and I figure when I get it clean then my reward is to be able to sew some during that time. :D

• Like 1

It is not a coincidence that I stopped sewing around the time I started homeschooling.  It was no longer profitable, sure, but it also was a time of my life in which I gave up just about all hobbies.

How do you feel about that in hindsight? I've had hobbies over the years, and I don't think it was a crime. My dd got her passion for sewing by doing a quilt with me for a class one year. I smocked, scrapbooked, took up photography... Nothing avidly or so well that it was like WOW, but it was enough that it could be fun for a bit. I like walking through Hobby Lobby and thinking about what I might like to do next. Watercolor or the japanese painting books interest me. For the record, I'd be horrible at them, lol. I'm not good with color either and make very ugly quilts. I just find the cutting and piecing and detail work relaxing.

I went to a talk, early in my years of considering homeschooling, where the lady said to keep your interests, that your dc needed to see your pursuing them. But then, I don't have really high standards for cleaning, don't always remember to make meals, and have one kid, not lots. So I get that at some point the time runs out, lol.

Adding: I taught this one person a bit, and wow this lady was ORGANIZED! She would do her sewing in little chunks, like 10 minutes a day, stolen here and there. I'm like dude, how do you even remember where you were at, kwim? I'm always looking for long chunks. I think that was the thing that revolutionized me, that there's no excuse for not getting things done. If I'm willing to give it 10 minutes consistently, I might be able to do something and make some tracks. Now do I DO that? Hahahaha. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

I think it was partially that I was new to running a business and was mixing something I liked doing (sewing) with trying to make money at it, so I undervalued my time and then started to resent it when I realized I was working (even though I liked the work) for $4/hour.  I was also unprepared for the realities of business - working to a customer's standard instead of my own, producing the same thing over and over because that is what sold, etc.

What is she doing or planning on doing with the sewing?  (I am curious) :)

• Like 1

She's very into costuming. However her career testing is saying other things (paralegal, human resources, etc.), and we're encouraging her to go more directions. I don't think there's a living wage for her in the costuming, and her career testing doesn't show tech (what most people end up doing) as a strength.

Yeah, I think that $4 an hour thing happens. Bummer. :(

• Like 1

I used to sew more, when my oldest was little, and I still do some, usually costumes, but I haven't as much in recent years. One, I have little boys so I need sturdy Garanimals type clothes more than smocked dresses, and it's not cost-effective to sew those (and I have tons now). Two, no dedicated space where I could leave a project out, but the new room fixes that. Three, homeschooling takes a lot of my time. I picked up knitting nine years ago, and I tend to do more of that these days because it's more portable plus easier to do in small increments. And if I make a mistake, it's generally a whole lot easier to correct!

• Like 2

How do you feel about that in hindsight? I've had hobbies over the years, and I don't think it was a crime. My dd got her passion for sewing by doing a quilt with me for a class one year. I smocked, scrapbooked, took up photography... Nothing avidly or so well that it was like WOW, but it was enough that it could be fun for a bit. I like walking through Hobby Lobby and thinking about what I might like to do next. Watercolor or the japanese painting books interest me. For the record, I'd be horrible at them, lol. I'm not good with color either and make very ugly quilts. I just find the cutting and piecing and detail work relaxing.

I went to a talk, early in my years of considering homeschooling, where the lady said to keep your interests, that your dc needed to see your pursuing them. But then, I don't have really high standards for cleaning, don't always remember to make meals, and have one kid, not lots. So I get that at some point the time runs out, lol.

Adding: I taught this one person a bit, and wow this lady was ORGANIZED! She would do her sewing in little chunks, like 10 minutes a day, stolen here and there. I'm like dude, how do you even remember where you were at, kwim? I'm always looking for long chunks. I think that was the thing that revolutionized me, that there's no excuse for not getting things done. If I'm willing to give it 10 minutes consistently, I might be able to do something and make some tracks. Now do I DO that? Hahahaha. 

I think that when I first started homeschooling, homeschooling became my hobby for a while.  We had the business (we make fabric/sewing labels now) but the fun part of the day was homeschooling.  Then that became normal, I stopped buying every new curriculum I saw, I didn't make the kids try this and that and the other new art kit or science kit or nature journal or pinterest craft, and things became sort of normal.  

It is hard to be very bad at watercolor, in my experience, because having it all look sort of wishy washy and muddled is an acceptable effect.  It is hard to be very *good* at watercolor, but it is hard to be bad at it.

I do the business in chunks.  There is no other way to run a small business, herd 6 children, and homeschool 3 of them.  I am also disorganized and have executive function issues, so after 10-20 minutes I lose focus anyway and nothing productive gets done. :)

• Like 1

She's very into costuming. However her career testing is saying other things (paralegal, human resources, etc.), and we're encouraging her to go more directions. I don't think there's a living wage for her in the costuming, and her career testing doesn't show tech (what most people end up doing) as a strength.

Yeah, I think that $4 an hour thing happens. Bummer. :(

The money in sewing, in the US, in my not-hugely-educated opinion, is in IP.  If she can design costumes (after working as an apprentice or entry-level work making them), or make tutorials for making them, or maybe figure out a small business with them (I am thinking some sort of kit for pinterest moms for parties, or halloween costume kits, or maybe some sort of partnership with schools, or a local costume rental company - I saw something like this in Christchurch, NZ and though it was a cool idea).  We sell labels to a lot of small businesses, and some of them do make a living sewing their own things, but not many.  Most have contracted out the sewing to immigrant labor for the cost reduction.

• Like 2

That makes me feel better. It has felt odd to steer her away a bit from something she was really into! She can't so fast enough to beat out immigrant/low cost labor, mercy. She has significant talents in people, etc. She's one of these who ends up running 20 people, no matter where she goes. She has the ability to make things happen. 

So yeah, that actually makes me feel better, thanks!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to snap some fresh pics and load them into the Benj Moore paint visualizer...

• Like 1

We have a very large master bedroom. One end of which, during phase two of renovation, was going to become a bathroom with garden tub. But with two boys in college and one more headed that way in a year, phase two is on hold. So I have a lovely computer desk at that end for my sewing machine. Since it was a large computer desk, it has a hole for me to feed electrical cords through which keeps them out of the way, a pull out slide shelf that would have housed a computer keyboard but I keep my snips, seam ripper, and pins on it for quick access, two drawers on the right for notions, two shelves above where I keep thread, and organizers for lace, ribbon, and buttons, and a nice, wide area on the left of machine so steering a large quilt around is easy. Forming an L on the right of the desk is an 8 ft banquet table with my cutting mats, quilt rulers, and rotary cutters.

On the left end of the desk is a small table with organizer for quilt magazines and patterns. Then along the wall under the window is the ironing board and iron. At the other end of the room near our dressers, I have an antique cabinet that houses fabric as well.

It forms a really nice nook for sewing. My next goal is to sew skirting for the banquet table so I can keep tubs of silk flowers and floral design supplies out of sight. I still have some leftovers from my event planning business that I am not parting with stored under there, and I do not want to look at it since the rest of the room is quite pretty.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 3

Faith, how are you going to attach the skirt? I had have thought for years to make a skirt for my counter, but I never quite figured out how to attach it... It's a formica counter with metal brackets for support, so probably like your banquet table...

• Like 1

My sewing room is new! I just finished putting in all the furniture a couple of months ago and now I'm organizing all the bits and bobs. This room doesn't have a closet, so I had to add a lot of storage. It looks like ikea threw up in it! The walls are a celery green. I have white trofast and kallax storage lining all the walls with the bins labeled so I can find everything. I have a square raised table for my cutting table with one of those utensil hanging rods and hooks holding my cutting and measuring supplies. I have a kallax turned on its side with a table top ironing board on it. I have desks shaped like a T against the wall with the windows. On the top left of the T is my dd sewing space, the right top of the T is my computer space, and the vertical part of the T is my sewing machine space. I absolutely love my crafting/sewing space now. 

• Like 3

My sewing room is new! I just finished putting in all the furniture a couple of months ago and now I'm organizing all the bits and bobs. This room doesn't have a closet, so I had to add a lot of storage. It looks like ikea threw up in it! The walls are a celery green. I have white trofast and kallax storage lining all the walls with the bins labeled so I can find everything. I have a square raised table for my cutting table with one of those utensil hanging rods and hooks holding my cutting and measuring supplies. I have a kallax turned on its side with a table top ironing board on it. I have desks shaped like a T against the wall with the windows. On the top left of the T is my dd sewing space, the right top of the T is my computer space, and the vertical part of the T is my sewing machine space. I absolutely love my crafting/sewing space now. 

THIS gives me ideas.  My son is a kallax fan, and now I see why.  So versatile.  I love the tabletop ironing board idea.  Only in the very end stages of quilting do I really need the full ironing board, and it is such a pain to keep it up 24/7 in my tiny room.  This could work.  :0)

I have a feeling that if I start messing around with this room, though, I am going to end up painting it again.  Nooooooooooo.  (It's a disease with me....).  

I have a sewing area in the corner of the room we use for the computer and for storage.  It is a 4th bedroom, but too small really for a kid's bedroom.  It would fit a twin bed and dresser nicely, but the closet is really small  and there wouldn't be room for much else.  We use it as an office/craft/hobby/storage (closet) area.

I took an old rectangle kitchen table and put it up against one wall by the window and put my sewing machine on that.  I took another smaller kitchen table and put it parallel to the sewing machine table.  I put a drummer's stool that swivels between the 2 tables.  The 2nd table is my cutting table.  I have a Steady Betty ironing pad on that table and my cutting board. I can easily turn between the 2 tables to sew, press, cut, sew, etc.  It is a nice space.  It would be nice if I had more storage in the room, but it is what it is and it works well most of the time.  My larger quilts can be more challenging, but for most other projects it is good

• Like 1

It is not a coincidence that I stopped sewing around the time I started homeschooling.  It was no longer profitable, sure, but it also was a time of my life in which I gave up just about all hobbies.

There are seasons for sure.  I stopped cross stitch for quite a while when dc were babies.  I did a major project when youngest was a toddler and it took me about 3 years to complete. Didn't pick up cross stitch again until just a couple years ago.  I picked up knitting and crochet when dc started gymnastics and dance.  I had some time when both were in classes and it was a nice time to do it.  When youngest was taking ballet, oldest and I would do some school or a game or hobby together but occasionally I would knit.  Interestingly one day, one of the dancers showed up with some knitting supplies and asked if I would teach her.  We had a handful 8-10 year olds wanting to learn.  That was short lived but fun.  When oldest was doing gymnastics separate from youngest, youngest and I would play board games.  Again, we had other kids coming up asking to join.

I stopped making clothes when dc were in elementary years.  Homeschool took a lot of time then and clothes making was (and is) very frustrating for me.  I picked up quilting  a couple years later and continue that to this day.  Youngest has a great deal of interest and we frequently do a project together (she graduated high school this year).  Oldest makes some lovely jewelry, something I never attempted, that is all her. 

Throughout the years, I always had something going....crochet, knitting, embroidery, etc.  I always have a "go bag" with a project I can work on during piano or whatever.  During the middle school and early high school years, when I was carpooling, it was really good to have a "go bag" while I waited.  When the dc were younger, the go bag usually had snacks, books, coloring, puzzle books, etc.  Great for entertaining while waiting at appointments or waiting for a sibling to finish a class. 

Seasons change and so do our activities.  Cross stitch is a lot harder now that I'm older and wear bifocals.  I need lots of light and sometimes magnification for projects.  But, it has been good to keep that creative side of me going.  I never worried about deadlines.  I have an embroidery project that I started with youngest dd over 5 years ago.  It will get finished one day.  Christmas gifts I start in the summer so I have plenty of time. 

• Like 1

Bluemongoose, I'd love to see pictures!!! Pretty please!!  I'm thinking about some shade of green, and your hanging for your cutting stuff is interesting. But it would be fun to see the whole room. :D

HollyDay, yes, seasons! And also, I think my ds might like to sew a bit, if I got things set up for him. There are nice projects for boys, and besides it's a MACHINE. He might enjoy it! Hmm, maybe he needs his own space! That would be a hoot. We're always looking to branch out his interests, lol. (With his autism, they can be pretty narrow.)

I have nothing to contribute but want to say that I've enjoyed this thread. It makes me want to create a sewing room, and I rarely sew.

Good! You know there are some really lovely online places to get inspired. http://www.sewmamasew.com/category/tutorials/  has wonderful projects. It's how I got my dd going. There are just so many nice, projects, useful things, that have steps and pictures, and they're across all kinds of interests, so you can find something useful. Like I made baby bibs and burp cloths, that kind of thing. You'd surely find SOMETHING. Like wallets, pin cushions, anything at all. 

Then you'd have your excuse to get up a machine and set up a pretty little space for your adventures. :)

• Like 2

Re: a machine - when I had the 201-2, there was a significant bit of maintenance to be run on it in a consistent way, like car maintenance (oiling, cleaning, taking apart to get underneath and putting back together, etc.)  Occasionally I ran into a mechanical issue and had to take it to the local Singer repair place.  They charged an arm and a leg, and I thought at the time how lucrative being a sewing machine repair guy must have been back in the day when every other housewife had a singer.

Faith, how are you going to attach the skirt? I had have thought for years to make a skirt for my counter, but I never quite figured out how to attach it... It's a formica counter with metal brackets for support, so probably like your banquet table...

I will probably flip the table over and use 1 minute epoxy to mount hooks to the under side (rim all the way around). I will make the skirting double the perimeter for lots of gathering, and attach something like this to the skirting so I can hang the loops over the hooks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/196674262/6-white-elastic-bridal-button-loops?utm_campaign=shopping_us_ILoveYoYoWedding_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=6724923&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnPLKBRC-j7nt1b7OlZwBEiQAv8lMLMXOkGT4ZJPBhDwoW8Va-SBh3ckwHwGxprVsqoBpjAkaAvCD8P8HAQ

This bridal button looping. I think there may even be a vendor on Amazon selling by the foot.

• Like 1

I will probably flip the table over and use 1 minute epoxy to mount hooks to the under side (rim all the way around). I will make the skirting double the perimeter for lots of gathering, and attach something like this to the skirting so I can hang the loops over the hooks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/196674262/6-white-elastic-bridal-button-loops?utm_campaign=shopping_us_ILoveYoYoWedding_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=6724923&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnPLKBRC-j7nt1b7OlZwBEiQAv8lMLMXOkGT4ZJPBhDwoW8Va-SBh3ckwHwGxprVsqoBpjAkaAvCD8P8HAQ

This bridal button looping. I think there may even be a vendor on Amazon selling by the foot.

I hadn't thought to epoxy hooks!! 

Reader, wow, those moveable walls are fun!!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1

How do you post pics?

Under the reply button is a link/button that says "more reply options". You have to go into that, then below the post box is a button/link that says Attach Files (Choose files); this lets you select photos from your computer to upload (although there are strict size limits, and the limit is per user, so as an individual you can only ever have a set amount, and once you max that out, you have to go and delete stuff, which is pretty limiting).  (it will tell you the max size right there where you try to upload it). 

Then you click "attach this file" once you've chosen it, and then an option comes up to add to the post (so people see the thumbnail vs just a link to click). Then click post.