Menu

What are your favorite beans & rice recipes, please?

PinkTulip

To borrow a term from Jane Austen's Persuasion, my family is entering a period of "retrenchment" for the next 6 months or so. I have 4 teenage boys living at home right now, plus DH and I, so I'm looking for some healthy, filling, inexpensive recipes I can make for dinner.

We have been more of a seafood, chicken, pasta and veggies kind of family, but never beans & rice so I'd love to hear what you have - thanks!

P.S. No food allergies, restrictions, or particular pickiness here.

If you don't already know it, Budget Bytes is a great site. She has a lot of recipes for meals with beans and lentils. A lot of what she does is add beans or lentils or a grain to stretch meat. So she might make chili but add half the normal amount of beef and then beans to make it more

hearty.https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/beansandgrains/

My middle son is vegetarian so we eat a lot of beans for that reason. Favorites: 

Lentil tacos (in the crockpot) 

Lentil sloppy joes 

Black bean and spinach quesadillas 

Black bean, spinach enchiladas 

Soups of all kinds 

Chili 

Coconut Curry Lentils from Budget Bytes 

• Like 3

Black bean tacos can be cheap and filling

1 can black beans (using dry that you cook yourself does taste better and is cheaper)

1 cup rice

1 can diced tomatoes (or fresh)

1 can corn (drained)

1 packet taco seasoning mix

Mix together and heat through.  Serve on homemade corn tortillas (super cheap and easy to make) or flour tortillas.  Add salsa, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc. as you want and need to use up.  You can easily add in some leftover cooked chicken or beef.  Skip the rice, etc.

This is super flexible with amounts.  Use what you have and go with it.

• Like 2

To borrow a term from Jane Austen's Persuasion, my family is entering a period of "retrenchment" for the next 6 months or so. I have 4 teenage boys living at home right now, plus DH and I, so I'm looking for some healthy, filling, inexpensive recipes I can make for dinner.

We have been more of a seafood, chicken, pasta and veggies kind of family, but never beans & rice so I'd love to hear what you have - thanks!

P.S. No food allergies, restrictions, or particular pickiness here.

I can't get Corin Redgrave's distinctive performance out of my head from the film of Persuasion, 'Retrench?', while his eldest daughter eats hothouse fruit from an ice sculpture.

Lentil risotto might fit - the whole family loves it.  This is the recipe we use: you could do it without a pressure cooker at a very slow simmer on the stove top, but it will take much longer:

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/lentil-risotto-peasant-cooking-under-pressure/

• Like 1

My whole family is very fond of sweet and sour beans... http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-n-sour-beans

The recipe is easy to  change up as needed depending on what beans you have available.  The baked beans are necessary, imo, but I've had great success subbing in black beans, chili beans, red beans, etc.; I've done it with and without the bacon, and no one seems to notice.   I usually double or triple the sauce and serve the beans over rice. 

Check out this vintage cookbook  on Amazon.

Good Cheap Food by Ungerer. I have the 1973 hardcover edition and would grab it right after my children, in case of fire or flood!  It's seriously that fabulous.  The recipe and write up for beans and rice are out of this world yummy.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cheap-Food-Miriam-Ungerer/dp/0880014881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498829251&sr=8-1&keywords=good+cheap+food

My personal favorite lightening fast way to enjoy beans and rice is ridiculously simple:  Black beans placed on top of cooked rice, heated for one minute in the microwave.  After one minute, sprinkle with sharp grated cheddar cheese and heat for one additional minute. Then I drizzle balsamic vinegar over top and swoon.   :svengo:

• Like 1

Does beans and pasta count? :)

I can't find a recipe online, but we used to make this all the time in law school and grad school. The leftovers are great, but I was cooking for 2 and not 6. You may have to increase quantities. :)

Cook 1 lb pasta to very al dente. Gemelli or other fun shapes work well.

Meanwhile, sauté together in oil:

Canadian bacon, 1/2 package, thinly sliced in strips (could use regular bacon or omit I would imagine)

Onion, small dice

Stir in garlic then a large can of crushed tomatoes and two cans of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed, can cook yourself from dry) once the onions are translucent. Add salt to taste and simmer until your pasta is nearly done. Reserve some pasta water when you drain the pasta. Add pasta to the tomato mixture and finish cooking, adding as much pasta water to suit your preference of sauciness.

Goya's black bean soup has the best seasoning. You can add additional cans of plain black beans or cooked from dry beans to them. (The soup is really soupy beans and could be served as a side dish, but the sauce will stretch!) It's really good over rice with a little cheese and salsa.

Yesterday I cooked two pounds dry pinto beans with a ham bone, covered with water as necessary. There is usually plenty of meat left on the bone, which cooks off, to satisfy my meat loving dh and ds. I usually just season with a little Toney Cachere's at serving. We love it with cornbread or rice.

Other cheap rice dishes include fried rice, and rice pudding.

• Like 2

Try cuisines like middle eastern, indian, mexican etc. There are a lot of healthy, vegetarian, economical beans and rice recipes in those categories. Your best bet is to search for vegetarian recipes in those categories and add in meat to it if you need meat in the meal. I make hummus, falafels, Dals, lentil soups, lentil curries, lentil salads etc. They go well with white rice, brown rice, quinoa and other grains.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 3

I love black lentils, rice, chicken, and veggies with smoked paprika and garum masala (add in either coconut milk/cream or yogurt at the end).

I can't give you exact measurements but what I do is:

Warm oil, hot but not smoking, I usually use avocado oil for high temp cooking but since you don't want to burn this stuff keeping at a 5 is fine.

Put spices in oil to warm- usually about 1/3 garlic, 1/3 smoked paprika, 1/3 mix of garum masala/onion powder/tumeric/red curry powder/pepper. I don't salt until the end.

Spice should be aromatic but not burning. I add in tougher veggies, like onions and peppers. Cook until slightly soft then add in chicken. I cook this until almost done then add in softer veggies, tomatoes, mushrooms and pre-cooked black lentils. When it's almost done I add in spinach and let it wilt but not get gross. Turn off the burner and stir in either coconut milk (although I use mostly just the cream) or yougurt (you can do cream cheese too). I serve it over rice. This is probably my favorite meal and I eat it 2-4 times a week.

You can easily leave out the chicken and add in more lentils or tofu/tempeh, black beans go really well in it too.  I've made this for DD using Quron "chik'n" and it turned out great.

NOT Vegetarian

ETA: thought of another one- pinto beans with bacon bits.  I buy a little bag of bacon bits (about $1.50) lightly fry it and diced onion in avocado oil (or bacon grease if I have it) then add to my beans near the end of cooking.  All the flavor with less fat and cost.

We also do sliced ham, cojack cheese and seasoned pinto beans (I add chili and cumin to them) on tortillas (I like to add tomatoes and onions) then put them rolled in an oiled pan for a couple minutes.  It costs very little and 2 usually fills my 16 year old son up.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Pasta fagioli (fazool) and pasta ceci ( pronounced chee-chee basically the same thing but with chick peas). My mother made both quite often when I was growing up because it was cheap and filling. It's basically Italian peasant food. Some people add meat. Mom never did because of the cost. The linked recipe uses small shells but she used (and I still use) ditalini. Any small pasta will do though. 

Here's a similar recipe. Both recipes are close to what my 2nd generation Italian-American mother made. She didn't add carrots but if you want some veggies add them. Replace the cannellini beans with chick peas and you have pasta ceci. Both soups freeze well but the pasta will soak up a good amount of broth. If you want to have leftovers it's best to keep the pasta and the soup separate and combine them when you serve it.

OP will your family eat cold bean salads as a main dish? I don't have amounts but I make a black bean and corn salad, and a cucumber chickpea salad.

Black bean and corn salad -

Black beans, corn, sweet bell peppers (any color) onions - sweet yellow, green onions, or even shallots will do. Season with salt and pepper, and a little cumin. Add a vinaigrette dressing, or olive oil and fresh lime juice. If it's in your budget add some fresh cilantro and/or avocado. You can mix in some cold,cooked rice to make it even more filling. Serve with crackers, pita bread, or crusty bakery bread. Bread is great for sopping up the dressing.

Chick pea cucumber salad -

Chick peas, cucumber, tomatoes (optional), green onions - green tops included. Add olive oil and vinegar or olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Serve with fresh bread.

Does beans and pasta count? :)

I can't find a recipe online, but we used to make this all the time in law school and grad school. The leftovers are great, but I was cooking for 2 and not 6. You may have to increase quantities. :)

Cook 1 lb pasta to very al dente. Gemelli or other fun shapes work well.

Meanwhile, sauté together in oil:
Canadian bacon, 1/2 package, thinly sliced in strips (could use regular bacon or omit I would imagine)
Onion, small dice
Stir in garlic then a large can of crushed tomatoes and two cans of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed, can cook yourself from dry) once the onions are translucent. Add salt to taste and simmer until your pasta is nearly done. Reserve some pasta water when you drain the pasta. Add pasta to the tomato mixture and finish cooking, adding as much pasta water to suit your preference of sauciness.

That sounds like pasta fagioli. There's no one "right recipe. It's one of those dishes that every family makes their own way.

I've always wanted to try this but I don't think my family will like it. I probably will but then I'd end up having to eat it all and will get sick of it. I should try a small amount one of these days.

OP will your family eat cold bean salads as a main dish?

Cold bean salad is probably a no go for dinner, but your recipes sound amazing for lunch. Thank you!

Thanks also to everyone who responded with recipes, links, and ideas. I'm excited to try a bunch of new recipes while working to keep the budget down.

Tonight's dinner: Poor Man's Burrito Bowls from Budget Bytes.

• Like 1

I love red beans and rice. I started with a a Rachel Ray recipe from her Comfort Foods book. It's similar to this one, but not the same. My recipe calls for cubes of ham in addition to the andouille, so I make it whenever I have ham to use up. https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/new-orleans-red-beans-and-rice

Eventually I learned to make it hotter, to make a LOT because it freezes well, and to make the beans from dried because it tastes even better and is cheaper AND healthier. I prefer to not combine with the rice until I'm serving it up, but I'm not sure people do that. It's very satisfying. Yes, meat is involved, but you can cut the amount way back and still be happy.

This is a friend of mines recipe that is very satisfying.

rice

black beans

homemade salsa made of tomatoes, cilantro and onions

lime juice

salt

olive oil or sour cream

Put all the toppings out on the counter and let everyone dish them out as they see fit.

This is a timely thread! We found out today it will cost more to pack and shop our dried good than buy then new, so we have a LOT of beans to eat through.