Menu

How treatable is anxiety?

Pegasus

What type of treatment is most effective - counseling/meds/both?  I'm needing to nudge an adult family member to seek help.

Also, to be sure, is this anxiety or something else?

Went to a job fair.  Overwhelmed by wall to wall people. Retreated to restroom to re-group.  Tried again.  Couldn't do it. Went home. Very upset with self at "failing" at the event.

I agree that a combination of counseling and medication seems to be most effective for many. To that treatment I would add regular aerobic exercise; read the book Spark if you want more information on the impact of exercise on the brain.

• Like 5

For me medication is very effective. DS18 has had a combination of medication and counseling. Counseling has been helpful but it's the medication that truly made an overwhelming difference. I suspect quite a bit depends on ones attitude, whether or not one goes into it believing treatment (of whatever kind) will be helpful. But I'm a huge believer in the placebo effect.

• Like 1

While both medication and counseling are recommended, in this instance I would probably begin with counseling. If this person was fine before the event and struggled only at the event than the anxiety might be situation specific. In that case, therapy will be beneficial in that it will teach coping skills, redirect thought patterns, etc. and help the individual move forward.

If the person suffers from something like GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and has trouble coping in multiple situations I would suggest an initial program of medication and therapy. I would let the therapist and patient decide if meds only would be appropriate moving forward.

Since this occurred during a job fair, it might be a bit difficult for an outsider to determine what the contributing factors were that set off the anxiety attack. The pressure of looking for a job, the overwhelming employment options, the number of people in the room...job fairs can be awful places (especially if this person is an introvert).

I also recommend reading the book Spark. You don't need to read all of the chapters but the book is a goldmine of information about exercise and its effect on the brain.

• Like 5

The counseling isn't necessarily there to "unload your deep horrible past".  They can teach you about coping techniques.  Although you can find out about the techniques yourself as well. 

Yes, this. Counseling usually means helping you with coping techniques. You can find them yourself but a counselor can help work through different method and talk with you about what works and what doesn't. I think when some people hear counseling they think it means rehashing your past and finding a reason for your condition. That's not necessarily true.

For me medication is very effective. DS18 has had a combination of medication and counseling. Counseling has been helpful but it's the medication that truly made an overwhelming difference. I suspect quite a bit depends on ones attitude, whether or not one goes into it believing treatment (of whatever kind) will be helpful. But I'm a huge believer in the placebo effect.

It's kind of similar with us. While I didn't have general anxiety I had panic attacks, and for those medication was the best option. I learned to recognize when one was coming on and take a pill to ward it off. Ds 19 has social anxiety and uses a combination of meds and counseling.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Also, to be sure, is this anxiety or something else?

Went to a job fair.  Overwhelmed by wall to wall people. Retreated to restroom to re-group.  Tried again.  Couldn't do it. Went home. Very upset with self at "failing" at the event.

I'm not diagnosing, but it sounds a bit like social anxiety. It sounds like my ds. Is the person otherwise neurotypical?

Ds recently went to a job fair and got hired. Before getting treatment he would not have done well if he went at all.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Very true.  Something like social anxiety might respond to behavioral techniques.  Anxiety that is general and that comes on at any unpredictable time probably needs medication. 

and for organic (medical cause) anxiety - what rx works, depends upon what the organic cause.

• Like 1

and for organic (medical cause) anxiety - what rx works, depends upon what the organic cause.

This is important, too.  I had a new baby and overwhelming anxiety, which was dismissed as normal or PPD for a while.  It turned out to be a hyperthyroid condition that was treated with an anti-thyroid drug.  That's obviously not the first line of treatment for anxiety, but since it had an organic cause, it was the right one for me.

• Like 1

Those of us with experience with anxiety think it sounds like anxiety. Those with experience with sensory issue think it sounds like a sensory issue. I think trying to convince the person to see a doctor to determine what's actually going on is the best thing you could do. 

• Like 3

Hmm.

My diagnosis is panic disorder.

But I also have terrible vitamin d levels. I'm also extremely sensitive...as in I take in a lot of sensory information constantly.

How do anxiety disorders and sensory issues differ?

I've struggled in therapy. Maybe I've got more going on than just panic. ("Just"...*snort*)

Hmm.

My diagnosis is panic disorder.

But I also have terrible vitamin d levels. I'm also extremely sensitive...as in I take in a lot of sensory information constantly.

I've struggled in therapy. Maybe I've got more going on than just panic. ("Just"...*snort*)

work on your d3 levels - they have an impact.  it should be a minimum of 50. 

yoga was great for me - both for sensory issues as well as panic/anxiety. 

• Like 2

I don't know about your relative's circumstances, so I'm not sure if any of this will help.  I mostly got rid of some debilitating anxiety this spring.  I started exercising and listening to music every day for an hour (I think that made the biggest difference).  I cut out anything that was negative or having a negative impact on me.  I tried to spend more time with positive people and making my environment more positive.  DD15 and I even repainted the downstairs of our house a bright color.  I cut down on internet time.  I cut down on caffeine.  I tried to make sure I was getting a certain amount of sleep at night.

All that stuff sounds simplistic, but I was having 1-2 panic attacks per day that were so bad, they were scaring people around me.  I eventually had one in the car that scared the cr&p out of the kids.  I also was having that weird feeling like I was looking through a tunnel and nothing was real.  I climbed in the driver's seat of the car to back out of the driveway and everything suddenly looked small/far away like I was looking through a tunnel.  It was frightening.

What is it, almost July?  And I feel a lot better.  I haven't had one of those panic attacks in maybe 2 months.  So, something I did was helping, I guess.   

Mine was caused by an event, though.  I don't know what's causing your relative's anxiety.  DD15 and I were almost killed in January and that's when it started.  I was picking her up from work and we were hit head-on on the highway.

• Like 3

I have one family member who was recently diagnosed with anxiety, and the doctor told us that the first thing to address is: exercise, diet, and sleep. If any one of those vitally important things is out of whack, it will throw the whole body and mind out of whack. Next is therapy. Then if needed, an SSRI.

So far we've been doing a treatment regimen of vigorous daily exercise and cognitive behavioral therapy and it seems to be working quite well. But I will say this: we started out with gentle exercise and that did nothing. It was only once we got serious that it started to help. Walking, for example, doesn't cut it. Running, hiking fast uphill at elevation, spin class, HIIT, those things help. I highly recommend the book Spark (John Ratey) which has already been mentioned. It is really excellent and potentially life-changing information.

So if this person isn't exercising, then I would recommend starting that right away. Also see a doctor to find out what the underlying cause is in case there is a medical problem (like thyroid issues) that needs to be addresssed. :grouphug: Help is out there!

• Like 1

Those of us with experience with anxiety think it sounds like anxiety. Those with experience with sensory issue think it sounds like a sensory issue. I think trying to convince the person to see a doctor to determine what's actually going on is the best thing you could do. 

And it's possibly both (DS18, on the spectrum, has both). Sometimes treating the sensory issue can help the anxiety but sometimes both will meed treatment.

• Like 2

I don't know about your relative's circumstances, so I'm not sure if any of this will help. I mostly got rid of some debilitating anxiety this spring. I started exercising and listening to music every day for an hour (I think that made the biggest difference). I cut out anything that was negative or having a negative impact on me. I tried to spend more time with positive people and making my environment more positive. DD15 and I even repainted the downstairs of our house a bright color. I cut down on internet time. I cut down on caffeine. I tried to make sure I was getting a certain amount of sleep at night.

All that stuff sounds simplistic, but I was having 1-2 panic attacks per day that were so bad, they were scaring people around me. I eventually had one in the car that scared the cr&p out of the kids. I also was having that weird feeling like I was looking through a tunnel and nothing was real. I climbed in the driver's seat of the car to back out of the driveway and everything suddenly looked small/far away like I was looking through a tunnel. It was frightening.

What is it, almost July? And I feel a lot better. I haven't had one of those panic attacks in maybe 2 months. So, something I did was helping, I guess.

Mine was caused by an event, though. I don't know what's causing your relative's anxiety. DD15 and I were almost killed in January and that's when it started. I was picking her up from work and we were hit head-on on the highway.

I'm so sorry that you experienced such a traumatic event. :grouphug: I can't even imagine. I wanted to thank you for sharing this because you have some wonderful tips here that I want to pass along to my loved ones (I have two with anxiety disorders). Thank you very much!

• Like 2

DD 20 had a break-down (her term) and was hospitalized and catatonic for 2 days.  While I think therapy has helped her depression (also some life changes) the only thing that helps the severe anxiety has been meds. I don't think, in a lot of people's situations, there's a cure all or even one size fits.  It takes time and lots of different treatment options and it can be very trial/error.  Luckily it only took about 6 months to find an okay dosage regime and talk therapy for her to get back on the horse (aka come out of her room/get a job).  She still struggles, mainly with large crowds and her dad and his families expectations/judgments but she's getting there.  

ETA: I started having panic attacks about 5 years ago. It went on for about 3 years then I developed diabetes and started taking meds for it AND for high blood pressure.... guess what, as long as I take my BP meds no more panic attacks.  So she should definitely see a doctor and have a full physical done to rule other causes out first.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Here's a good overview of sensory processing disorder. Here are some symptoms (scroll down for adult symptoms). 

People with SPD often deal with anxiety, too, but not everyone with anxiety has SPD. 

Here's a good overview of the different types of anxiety disorders.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3