Menu

S/O of house size "just wondering" thread: bedroom sizes?

The recent thread on differing house sizes has me wondering what size bedrooms do you have and who is in them. I think I just want to live vicariously through those who don't have to stack their children like firewood. :lol: I think we have average sized rooms but maybe I'm wrong.

Right now dh, baby, and I are in the 12x14 master bedroom. The almost 9yo, 5yo, and 3yo share an awkwardly shaped 10x11ish room (really only 9x9 of usuable space. 10yo has own room for now, it's 8x10 but seems small due to placement of doors/closet, etc.

ETA: I just remeasured our master bedroom. It's not 12x14, it's 13x11.5 . Hmmm, I think I was happier the other way. LOL!

Edited by amyable
I have a horrible memory.

We have 3 bedrooms that are approximately 10 x 12 each. Two have a walk in closet, one has a large closet. Our master bedroom is 12 x 18, it is huge, the biggest bedroom we've ever had. I could live in there.

the bedroom I grew up in was 9x12 and a tad too cozy, but I made it work.

I'm not sure the size of the master bedroom. I'd GUESS about 15X20. The office right next to it is 12X15 which is why I figure I can guess.

Bedroom 2 is 12X15 and that is where we sleep (master bedroom is a schoolroom)

Bedroom 3 and 4 are 10 X 12 and 10 X 11.

Regardless of what room my daughter is in, it seems small. Regardless of what room my son is in, it seems large. Weird.

Our house is 550 square feet, both of our boys share a bedroom that is 10 x 8.5 and our bedroom is 11 x 10.5. if I remember right. We have a king bed and a dresser in our room and there is just a very small aisle around the bed and the boys have a bunk bed in their room and a dresser and again just a very small aisle. The boys have no closet and we have a very small one. Dh hopes to change our breezeway which is 26 x 12 into two bedrooms for the boys next summer. Right now it where all the teen boys in the neighborhood hang out. The Breezeway is a screened concrete slab porch between our house and garage.

I thought I would let you know that there are other WTMers with houses with smaller bedrooms :001_smile: like yours.

The 2 boys are in the Masterbedroom for now, it is 15 x 23. DD is in a 10 x 14 room and we are in a 12 x 14 room. Personally, I cannot wait until I get back in the biggest room! However, now all the toys are in that room and not all over the house! We also have a downstairs bedroom that is 15 x 15, we turned that into an office.

I had the luxury (or insanity) to act as a general contractor and design the space in our home that had 1200 unfinished attic space...so for my girls' bedroom I could either split it into 2 rooms 10x10 size or make a larger room they could both share (forever, never knowing life on their own :))..so their bedroom is 24x16...they love it. My son's is 15x14, ours is 18x16 and the guest bedroom is 14x12...I'm very claustrophobic and love larger rooms....and high ceilings...but we've also lived in Seattle where you were lucky to get a bedroom bigger than 9x10...

Tara

We moved to the Washington DC area from TN, so we downsized.

We have 4 bedrooms and 2 ds. They are very close, and wanted to Bunk in the 11 x 10 bedroom. Sometimes it gets messy because of the clothing and stuffed animals, but they love it! (I wish it was more spacious.)

The Master Bedroom is 11 x 15.

We use BR 3 as an office it is 10 x 10.

Our 4th bedroom is 11 x 12 and we use it as a guest room / school room.

We are fortunate enough to have a large playroom in the basement, so there are no toys in the bedrooms.

Our master bedroom is about 13x11, which is really small for us (just dh and I). We have a king size bed, so that takes up most of the room. At our last house, our master bedroom was 18x20. The kids' bedrooms at both houses are reasonable, maybe 10x10 to 12x10(?). We wanted a different style of house (one story vs. two story), and we loved everything about this house, except the master bedroom & bath (the bath is about the smallest you can get).

My boys room has two sets of bunks with a two foot alley between them. It is darn near clausterphobic in there. I can fit a dresser on the wall at the end of the beds and that is it! Sheesh. My boys would like a room they could play in, but this isn't the house for that. They sleep and dress in there, and that is it.

I don't know the actual measurements. 3 boys sleep in that room currently.

Jo

Jo

Two of them are 10 X 11, one is 12 X 13, and the other is in the open family game room which is 13 X 16. She is the youngest and still has toys and needs a play space. My room is embarassingly large and has an attached office. Of course, we use this as the school room and family hang-out space so I am glad of it. My office is about 13 X 11 I think and I swear I have had eight people in here trying to watch a video on my laptop. Plus most of the bookshelves are in my room so it also serves as a library. And half of my girls use my bathroom. As a matter of fact, I could proably get away with half as much house if I didn't ever chase them out of here. :tongue_smilie:

Our house is 550 square feet, both of our boys share a bedroom that is 10 x 8.5 and our bedroom is 11 x 10.5. if I remember right. We have a king bed and a dresser in our room and there is just a very small aisle around the bed and the boys have a bunk bed in their room and a dresser and again just a very small aisle. The boys have no closet and we have a very small one. Dh hopes to change our breezeway which is 26 x 12 into two bedrooms for the boys next summer. Right now it where all the teen boys in the neighborhood hang out. The Breezeway is a screened concrete slab porch between our house and garage.

I thought I would let you know that there are other WTMers with houses with smaller bedrooms :001_smile: like yours.

My bedroom is 11 x 11 with a tiny closet. In fact, the closet is so narrow, clothes have to be hung at an angle for the closet door to close.

Dd's room is 7.5 x 9.5--her closet is deeper, but it's over the basement staircase, so the floor is slanted.

Ds sleeps in the basement.

Very small. Almost enough floor space to walk around the bed without hitting the walls in the master bedroom. (just calling it that sounds really silly to me)

The little one has more floorspace because she has a loft bed but the room is still very small. And our other one has a small alley around her bed to walk through. We have one main living space, an open floor plan galley kitchen, teeny dining room and fairly decent sized living room.

I try not to covet nicer homes and decorated homes. We are so blessed to have a roof over our head in these difficult times. It is home and I am grateful.