Menu

"Don't spend money to make money" or hard core Dave Ramsey Fans need not read.....

My schedule is about to get...crazy busy.

I have 3 kids, a husband, do all meals at home, 2 boys in sports, 3 dogs and a guinea pig. DH does assist; but he works for pay 7 days a week right now. Kids do assist: emptying and loading dishwasher, straightening common rooms, putting away their own clothes (it's simply easier for me to do the wash) and will do, eventually, whatever I ask.

But, well, we've been busy and the house looks it.

I am going to spend the weekend getting a plan together for chores, homework, meals.

But I'm giving serious consideration to a one time maid service to get the house to a place we can move forward. It's not awful or anything; I'd not be embarassed to have anyone over. But it would give *me* a great peace of mind to literally and figuratively remove the work. It might, depending on the price, give me more peace than the peace of not spending that money.

Is this an inappropriately indulgent expense? :confused:

I honestly don't know. I bet you'll hear answers from both sides.

Here's what I do when I feel that way: I think about what a service might cost, look around & think about how long it would take *me* to get everything in order. Then I think about what I could do w/ that amt of $ if someone offered to pay me to clean their house.

Then I set a timer & agree to pay myself the fee.

Then, of course, once the house is clean, I talk myself out of the $ because we really can't afford it, lol, but the house is clean.

:grouphug: GL w/ whatever you decide, though. A tough schedule is hard to swallow in so many ways!

I don't know what your financial situation is. If you're contemplating *not* making a payment on bills or debt in order to do it, I couldn't in good conscience encourage you. But I think what you're getting at is that you might have to sacrifice some other non-necessity in order to do this, and in that case I say go for it. It's worth it for the sanity and peace that it can bring to your home and everyone who lives in it.

I've always thought that if I were lucky enough to get pregnant again, this time instead of asking for the traditional gifts, I would ask for Merry Maids or some other house-cleaning service in the months after the birth. That's infinitely more valuable to me than onesies and booties!!!!! You've gotta go with what works best for you.

Yes, by all means - and we're Dave Ramsey fans!

Sometimes, you have to think quality of life. . . .

But here's another thought. Do you know anyone you can barter with for the cleaning? I know that might be more trouble than it's worth, but an idea if $$ is a huge issue.

I say clean it, and enjoy!

BTDT. As long as you are not borrowing money for this or going without food, I think it's fine. For me, getting that jump on things really, really helps. I have never regretted it.

One idea might be to schedule your family to do a day of cleaning with a pizza party reward. Kids really can get a remarkable amount of work done.

Another idea would be to hire a friend or a teenager to work WITH you and the kids. Be careful though--you do NOT want to hire someone who will not be worth the money or give you a high-maintenance experience.

A cleaning service is your most expensive option, though they tend to do a really amazing amount of work, so it can be worth it.

Good luck.

Cleaning is fast and easy once the clutter is gone. And a maid usually cannot make order--just clean. And cleanliness does not last.

So for me, for our family, this would not be worth it.

But it's different for everyone, and if it would really jump you forward and clear your head it might be worth doing.

I just know that for myself, we would probably not maintain it and then I would feel like it was money down the tubes. But most people are probably better at maintaining than I am. My house is a disaster (but my office is nice and has been for over two years--existance proof!) so maybe I am not the best person to advise you on this, actually.

I vote no especially if you are in financial binds. The money will be spent and the effect short-lived. Get rid of anything you can get rid of and your house will feel cleaner. I try to envision some kind of monastic living to inspire me to cull the stuff. Do one room at a time. If you don't spend the money, you won't feel guilt about not having it.

BTDT. As long as you are not borrowing money for this or going without food, I think it's fine.

I like strider's alternate suggestions, but what it boils down to is the above statement.

When you're short on both money AND time/energy, it's hard to get traction on either one. It seems reasonable to me to purchase time/energy with a judicious expenditure. If you can somehow find the money without being truly irresponsible somewhere, and--perhaps this is a bigger if--if you think that spending this money will not get you into the habit of "needing" to spend the money, then I don't see why it would be "indulgent" or imprudent.

For me, the most time-consuming issue is the clutter -- the stuff -- things maids aren't going to touch. Every summer I focus on cleaning out closets and getting rid of stuff. I do this in little bits throughout the year as well.

I also don't think a one-time service would do much, because if you don't have the time to maintain it once he/she leaves, it will be back in the state of cleanliness it was.

Personally, I'd make up a chore chart. When I had just one 12 year old doing one chore a day, it was a huge relief (one day was bathroom cleaning, for example. Another day was windexing the stove, fridge, dishwasher front, and washer and dryer -- they're all in our kitchen).

If you have 3 children doing one chore a day on top of keeping their own rooms up, cleaning up after themselves, and doing basic meal cleanup, I really think you would have to do practically nothing. That's a possible 21 chores a week. Honestly, I would run out of things to assign. :)

I also always had a rule that beds are made every morning and all personal belongings are in their home before bedtime. Everyone pitches in after meals.

I would make a list of 21 things that you would like done in a week -- some can be repeats, others once a week, and even others can be once a month sort of thing.

I honestly don't know. I bet you'll hear answers from both sides.

Here's what I do when I feel that way: I think about what a service might cost, look around & think about how long it would take *me* to get everything in order. Then I think about what I could do w/ that amt of $ if someone offered to pay me to clean their house.

Then, of course, once the house is clean, I talk myself out of the $ because we really can't afford it, lol, but the house is clean.

:grouphug: GL w/ whatever you decide, though. A tough schedule is hard to swallow in so many ways!

This is what I would do. We had a quote to clean our last house before we put it on the market. Dh was living out of town and he thought it might be a nice gift to me. The house was 1100sf and a basement, we didn't ask them to touch the basement. Their estimate was 300.00 and we were in a smaller town. I opted to let him gift me in another way.

One time cleanings are going to cost more because they know they won't continue to make any money off of you. I would get a couple of estimates and see what the going rate is in your market. That might help you cement your decision.

If it were truly bothering me I would take a week off of school and make it a family affair.

Aubrey, you're a hoot! I love this reply!

I think it depends on what you are giving up in return for this service. Are you using money that would be better served elsewhere? If this is money that would go into savings or spent on anything other than food and living expenses then I would consider doing it. If it is money that you are taking away from your food or utilities budget, then I would not do it.

That said; if this is something that will preserve your sanity and you think you will not cope without it, then do it short term until you feel you will cope again.

Good luck!

Cleaning is fast and easy once the clutter is gone. And a maid usually cannot make order--just clean.

:iagree:

I'm making a wide guess that once you get the house "ready for the cleaners", the cleaning will be the easy part. If you put cleaners into a house of clutter, you will be disappointed with the results, I suspect.

I

also don't think a one-time service would do much, because if you don't have the time to maintain it once he/she leaves, it will be back in the state of cleanliness it was.

Personally, I'd make up a chore chart. When I had just one 12 year old doing one chore a day, it was a huge relief (one day was bathroom cleaning, for example. Another day was windexing the stove, fridge, dishwasher front, and washer and dryer -- they're all in our kitchen).

If you have 3 children doing one chore a day on top of keeping their own rooms up, cleaning up after themselves, and doing basic meal cleanup, I really think you would have to do practically nothing. That's a possible 21 chores a week. Honestly, I would run out of things to assign.

I also always had a rule that beds are made every morning and all personal belongings are in their home before bedtime. Everyone pitches in after meals.

I would make a list of 21 things that you would like done in a week -- some can be repeats, others once a week, and even others can be once a month sort of thing.

Actually, a one time service would give me a fresh, clean basis on which to start a new system of keeping it up. It clearly wouldn't be of value to you, but it would for me.

We already have a system and routine in place, but that will have to change to reflect the changes in my schedule. I think a clean baseline would help all of us.

For the other inquiries, I'd have to move things around in the budget, but nothing would be late or go unpaid.

I have a cleaning lady and a fairly spartan house. I still have piles that drive me crazy and the cleaning lady cleans around them. :glare: She is wonderful but I see clutter even when the house is clean. This is stressful for me. So I think you need to look around to see if it is dirt or clutter that is bothering you. If it is clutter, then go ahead and give it away or move it into cheap storage (ie, basement) and wait to find out if you still feel the strain. If it is truely dirt, then I say go for it. If I were stretched beyond my limits at supper time I would not think twice about buying supper from a restaurant. So, if I was stretched emotionally around the cleanliness of my house I would not feel bad about hiring a person to clean it. Just do not expect it to be decluttered when you arrive home...she will not be a miracle worker.;) I say that as I have asked alot of my cleaning lady lately and I know the house looks nicer if it is mimimal, clean or not.

Another thought, a cleaning business will cost more...you are better to find someone by word of mouth and hire privately. They cost a lot less, especially now that people are laying off private cleaning ladies to save a bit of money and some people are starting part time work to make a bit of money. You might be suprised when you ask around at who knows of a person that is looking for work.

Overall, I say go for it and see how it works. Especially if the money is not a serious issue. If it is serious maybe you could "hire" one of your kids to work at a cleaning schedule one hour a day for an agree upon amount of money which goes toward the cost of sports and activites. There are a lot of great cleaning schedules out there for almost free.

Missed your post a few minutes ago, after reading that I think you are a perfect candidate for a one time cleaning (still from a private cleaner) to get you a few paces closer than you are. You and your kids can keep doing your chore routine and retain the clean feeling with a little work.

Soccer session is awful around here, I feel for you. :auto:

Joanna, can I just share something with you? When we were getting ready to sell our last house, DH and I sprung for a one-time cleaning. I figured for $150, it was SO WORTH it to get the pros in there and really get the place looking awesome.

It took these ladies a fraction of the time that it would've taken me, and they did a MUCH better job than I'm genetically capable of doing.

We looked around and asked each other why on EARTH we hadn't done it sooner.

Go for it!

ETA: After a few days of bidding wars, we ended up selling the house to the first folks who had walked in. They had put a contract in our hands within 90 minutes of seeing the place. Ahhhh, those were the days, weren't they??

DH... works for pay 7 days a week right now.

Unless my dh was working 7 days per week because he wanted to, rather than because he had to, I would do without the extra expense and figure out a different way to get the house clean.

Just my two cents...

Lori

I have 3 kids, a husband, do all meals at home, 2 boys in sports, 3 dogs and a guinea pig. DH does assist; but he works for pay 7 days a week right now. Kids do assist: emptying and loading dishwasher, straightening common rooms, putting away their own clothes (it's simply easier for me to do the wash) and will do, eventually, whatever I ask.

I am going to spend the weekend getting a plan together for chores, homework, meals.

But I'm giving serious consideration to a one time maid service to get the house to a place we can move forward. It's not awful or anything; I'd not be embarassed to have anyone over. But it would give *me* a great peace of mind to literally and figuratively remove the work. It might, depending on the price, give me more peace than the peace of not spending that money.

Here's what *I* would consider:

Will the expense put strain on your budget that is unreasonable to bear?

If it means eating extra cheap for a week or two and YOU don't mind that, then go ahead.

If it means you can't afford a medication for that month, then don't go there.

It depends on your level of comfort with making the adjustments in your spending/lifestyle to accomodate this special expense.

As for being too indulgent... I don't think that's anyone's business to judge that on you.

You sound like I get sometimes. No one else in the world would notice what needs to be done. The house is acceptable to everyone but me. That's when I realize that I need to lower my expectations just a bit or temporarily. Sometimes, I just want to spend money so I'll justify it by "needing" whatever to make the house that much more "whatever".

My opinion, let it go and quit stressing. If you wouldn't be embarassed if you had drop in company it's clean enough.

Cleaning is fast and easy once the clutter is gone. And a maid usually cannot make order--just clean. And cleanliness does not last.

So for me, for our family, this would not be worth it.

:iagree: If a maid service could come in and straighten out all of our piles of clutter and reorganize our storage system, closets, etc., and file all the paperwork I have piled up all around... you can bet I'd pay to have that done!!!! As it is though, I think maid services really only do the actual cleaning, which would be the easy part for me, that could only be done *after* I would take on the herculean task of getting all this stuff under control. I think that cleaning would be the easy part, so I wouldn't want pay for that.

Erica

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne

DH... works for pay 7 days a week right now.

Unless my dh was working 7 days per week because he wanted to, rather than because he had to, I would do without the extra expense and figure out a different way to get the house clean.

Just my two cents...

Lori,

Point taken. The consideration of the one time cleaning is because *I* will be out of the home more frequently starting next week. The $100 or less I'd pay for a one time service won't change our need to continue at our current work schedule for a while. We are making very frugal, careful choices.

This is one I'm considering as a WOHM to set us all - including my mental health - up for success.

Lori,

This is one I'm considering as a WOHM to set us all - including my mental health - up for success.

Well, if this is something that will contribute to good mental health for you, then that's very important. About a year and a half ago I felt burned out and overwhelmed, so I put my dc in school. In hindsight, I should have made some decisions that would help me cope, and kept my dc at home. They are all back home again, but the time in school has definitely brought things into our family life that I would prefer not to have. I also spent thousands of dollars on tuition, since they were at a private school. A few bucks for a housekeeper would have been a bargain!

You know your family best, and I'm sure you'll make the decision that is best for your family as a whole - because if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy:001_smile:

Lori

Joanne, I think you should totally do it if you think it will have the result you need. And believe me, I SOOOO get the almost visceral need for a fresh start on this kind of thing. But just to throw another suggestion out there for the heck of it, is there someplace you could stash the kids for one whole day and do the job yourself? Do you have a good friend who could help you out like this for one day, and then you could return the favor sometime? I ask this mainly because, while I'd love a cleaner to barrel through my house for a deep clean, the clutter is half my problem as well. I'd dearly love a whole day to dedicate to actually clearing my piles and finding homes for everything, and that's something a cleaner wouldn't do for me, but that desperately needs to be done.

Really though, if you're sure that having a cleaner come through would put you on the starting block, you should go for it.

why Wouldn't you do this. I noticed how many children you are homeschooling. There are seasons in a woman's life, where she may find this necessary or even desired. Realistically, you probably won't do it FOREVER, but you can give yourself permission to do what you need to do, so you can keep your home in order and manage your home effectively.

:001_smile:

Actually, a one time service would give me a fresh, clean basis on which to start a new system of keeping it up. It clearly wouldn't be of value to you, but it would for me.

We already have a system and routine in place, but that will have to change to reflect the changes in my schedule. I think a clean baseline would help all of us.

Great! You really do know what's best for you. I figured you just wanted everyone's viewpoint, so I thought I'd share mine.