Menu

DC....plan B.....now what?

ProudGrandma

We were going to go mount Vernon, but we can't seem to figure out how to get there easily..and fairly inexpensively..so we are looking for plan B...since we have done all of the main things...so...what little known places are there that might be interesting? Oh one thing we didn't do is bureau of engraving and printing....but we didn't know how hard it will be to get ticket this late..We tried to get them in advance, but couldn't.

So....any thoughts for us today?

• Like 1

Anacostia Museum

National Building Museum - they have an amazing tour

Do one of the neighborhood heritage trails - I recommend Anacostia, Downtown, U Street, Adams Morgan, Georgia Ave, or Southwest

Do the embassy tour! This is the only day of the year most of them are open. Some will be crowded, but if you stay off the beaten track you can see a lot without too many crowds.

I have more ideas, but they're smaller and quicker, usually.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 1

Octagon House, Grant Road Historic District, Peirce Mill (although a car is better for that one), go see some boundary stones, visit Alexandria, Lincoln Cottage, tour at the Larz Anderson house, Striver's Section, check out the old alleys, so many things.

• Like 1

I googled for "washington dc tourism places" (without the quote marks) This is the URL for the SERPs:

https://www.google.com.co/search?q=washington+dc+tourism+places&oq=washington+DC+tourism&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l5.10739j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The International Spy Museum?   I didn't know they had one...  This is the URL for their web site:   https://www.spymuseum.org/

Whatever you do today I hope that you and your family will enjoy it!

Embassy tour

Building Museum

Renwick museum (art and modern crafts, near White House)

Newseum

National Geographic society

If you like art Phillips gallery is nice

Library of congress...gorgeous buildinG and interesting exhibits

• Like 1

We were in DC a few years ago for a convention. We had a car but our friends had flown in. With all of them our car was not big enough alone. I spent a LOT of time looking at metro, bus and car service before we realized it would be cheap and easy to just tent a second car for the day.

Picked it up that morning from a nearby hotel and returned it that night.

Totally worth it and so much simpler then the metro. Worth checking into!

• Like 1

It was rainy much of the day... So we ended up going to the postal museum at Union station and then hit the zoo. It rained on us much of the day... Not hard, just enough we used out umbrellas... So it wasn't all bad we didn't go to Mount Vernon...we heard nearly everything is outside and the ground is dirt..not paved.

Thank you for all of the ideas.

• Like 2