Menu

What is this hip pain...

Moxie

And how the heck do I get rid of it??

My right hip bone hurts when I sit too long. It is like a band of fire on the part of the hip that sticks out and it wraps around the back maybe 4 inches? It hurts when I step but not when I touch it. It gets better and worse depending on how much I have to sit. Ibuprofen and aleve don't help in the slightest (and they usually do-I take very little medicine).

I have no plans to see a doctor about this unless it is something serious. It is mostly annoying at this point.

Heat? Ice? Exercise? Rest? Any ideas?

I had similar pain and did talk to my Dr. about it. She thought I might be standing wrong and after a bit of experimentation, I was. If I remember to not lock my knees when standing and keep my core tight, the hip pain goes away. Because it was always happening after sitting, I didn't connect the two, but if I remember to stand properly, no pain. 

In my case, it was a bulging disc impinging on the nerve.  I had to get the disc back in place (did so non-surgically) and for the most part, it stays put and I am in a lot less pain.  Not pain-free but not anything LIKE what it was.  No painkillers helped, sitting exacerbated it, AS did lots of exercise.  

I don't think it is an injury.

Maybe bursitis? But the otc drugs do nothing??

OTC drugs did nothing for my bursitis.  PCP sent me to a PT who set me up with a home exercise program.  I had only a couple of sessions of PT, did the exercises faithfully, and ended up pain-free. 

• Like 1

Google foam rolling of the hip flexors. Changed my life!

Ditto. Google terms like "foam roller exercises for hip mobility." Most likely your calves, glutes, upper leg muscles are tight and are pulling on the joint in some way. Doctors are generally clueless about this kind of thing. I wish I could email you my son's gymnastics coach. He specializes in this kind of thing and can help people feel better in a week. Tigger limped around with a painful ankle for six months. Then this guy became his coach and made him do these (torturous) mobility exercises and he was all better in a week. The orthopedic doctor was useless and had no idea what the problem was.

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 1

Let me add that the mobility exercises maybbe very painful for the first few days. After a few days they will hurt less, as you loosen everything up. Just push through them for a week and you will probably begin to feel much better.

If you don't have a foam roller, you can try rolling with a baseball bat, pvc pipe, or anything like that.

Sorry you are in so much pain. Is it the top of the femur or is it part of the hop cradle that hurts? If it is the outer top of the femur, it could be bursitis. I've been dealing with that and getting PT for it. The therapy has been helping, but it has been very painful. I have exercises to do on my own and I've been getting some deep tissue work (scrape me off the ceiling painful), but is getting much better.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I had hip pain that was due to a spastic muscle.  Some days, I couldn't walk without pain and some days, I couldn't even lie down to relieve it.  I have been to chiropractors and physical therapists multiple times to relieve this.    I recently found out that if I stay away from gluten, my muscle doesn't turn spastic.  Since I stopped eating gluten, I have been pain free for the first time in 15 years.  

I have suffered with hip pain on and off for a long time. The last flare up was after trying to do Couch to 5K. I went to an osteopath and she identified the problem as actually inflammation in my SI joint combined with a lot of tight muscles. I few months of weekly visits did wonders. Now I can manage it with walking, stretching, and Pilates. No more running though. I hope you can find out the cause of your pain.

And how the heck do I get rid of it??

My right hip bone hurts when I sit too long. It is like a band of fire on the part of the hip that sticks out and it wraps around the back maybe 4 inches? It hurts when I step but not when I touch it. It gets better and worse depending on how much I have to sit. Ibuprofen and aleve don't help in the slightest (and they usually do-I take very little medicine).

I have no plans to see a doctor about this unless it is something serious. It is mostly annoying at this point.

Heat? Ice? Exercise? Rest? Any ideas?

Stop sitting for so long.  

Isn't this like the old dr jokes? "Doc, it hurts when I do _______." "So stop doing __________."

Sitting is the new smoking.  So I've heard.

Edited by wintermom

Stop sitting for so long.

Isn't this like the old dr jokes? "Doc, it hurts when I do _______." "So stop doing __________."

Sitting is the new smoking. So I've heard.

I spend at least 3 hours a day driving kids. Sitting is required in the van.

• Like 3

I spend at least 3 hours a day driving kids. Sitting is required in the van.

I sympathize with you. Sitting in my van with a potential stomach ulcer is just about killing me these days. 

Hope you figure out what's causing your problem.

Edited by wintermom