Menu

GROSS!!! Or how NOT to install a bathroom floor

ktgrok

The guest bathroom has needed to be remodeled since we moved in, but we've avoided it for 8 years. Well, suddenly the stick on vinyl tiles were...squishy. And water was coming up between them. Could be water the kids splashed, but we were afraid of what else it could be. This weekend my husband pulled up the tile and it was coming from the toilet...from the sewage pipe really! ICK! Broken flange. 

But...it gets worse Much worse. The idiots that put in the vinyl tile were not willing to pull up the linoleum that was already there and put it on the concrete slab (florida house). Or to put it just on top of the linoleum. No. They put a layer of plywood OVER the  linoleum, then they vinyl. Which means there has been plywood soaking up that sewage and water while molding mildewing and rotting. UGH!!!!!!!

Who does that?

Hubby tore it all out, plus the bottom of the drywall to be sure he got all the dampness, and I'm calling a plumber today to fix the toilet flange. Guess that bathroom remodel is finally happening. 

Meanwhile we are down to one toilet for the five toilet trained people in my house. We'd already only been using the one shower due to damage to the wall tiles in that bathroom. 

The guest bathroom has needed to be remodeled since we moved in, but we've avoided it for 8 years. Well, suddenly the stick on vinyl tiles were...squishy. And water was coming up between them. Could be water the kids splashed, but we were afraid of what else it could be. This weekend my husband pulled up the tile and it was coming from the toilet...from the sewage pipe really! ICK! Broken flange.

But...it gets worse Much worse. The idiots that put in the vinyl tile were not willing to pull up the linoleum that was already there and put it on the concrete slab (florida house). Or to put it just on top of the linoleum. No. They put a layer of plywood OVER the linoleum, then they vinyl. Which means there has been plywood soaking up that sewage and water while molding mildewing and rotting. UGH!!!!!!!

Who does that?

Hubby tore it all out, plus the bottom of the drywall to be sure he got all the dampness, and I'm calling a plumber today to fix the toilet flange. Guess that bathroom remodel is finally happening.

Meanwhile we are down to one toilet for the five toilet trained people in my house. We'd already only been using the one shower due to damage to the wall tiles in that bathroom.

What a nightmare! But congrats on getting a new bathroom! :). Silver lining and all that.

• Like 5

We ripped out a basement bathroom this weekend to remodel that had a broken toilet, and the entire bathroom has not been used in ~4 years. And there's no HVAC and no bathroom exhaust fan in there. I was terrified of what we'd find.

But it was nowhere near as bad as trapped, molding plywood. Ewwwww.

(Although I'm fully expecting subfloor replacement for the next bathroom remodel, because three little boys plus bath water plus pee equals a nightmare.)

I would be freaking out over the grossness. But there's the bright side. You will finally have that nice, new bathroom. But oh, yuck!!

I was out of the house when he did it, but he took photos. wish I hadn't looked!!!!

I just keep telling myself we lived this long without getting sick from it, so now that it is all ripped out and clean we are over it. Ugh. But so so so gross. 

And who the heck puts plywood OVER concrete slab??? In a BATHROOM?????

• Like 1

I will disagree.  In my experience there is always a layer of something between two layers of vinyl and a subfloor under vinyl.  My kitchen had, wooden floor, hard board, vinyl, hardboard and the new layer of vinyl.  I have seen people lay underlay and carpet directly on concrete but never vinyl and I have only seen it recommended to put hardboard on top of vinyl if not removing.  For a wet area treated ply would be used instead.

Built in 2000. It was concrete then linoleum then plywood then stick on vinyl.

Ah. Then they could have tore out the original vinyl. I thought maybe the house was built in the '60s or '70s, back then vinyl (linoleum) had asbestos and shouldn't be torn out.

Though plywood is a pretty standard subfloor even for bathrooms.

Sorry for your mess.

Ah. Then they could have tore out the original vinyl. I thought maybe the house was built in the '60s or '70s, back then vinyl (linoleum) had asbestos and shouldn't be torn out.

Though plywood is a pretty standard subfloor even for bathrooms.

Sorry for your mess.

I guess it's just unusual here in Florida. Pretty much everyone just puts things down over the concrete. 

Oh, for the person that asked, no, no smell other than maybe a bit of mildew smell sometimes, that I had attributed to wet bath mats/towels/etc. Honestly, the mold/mildew is freaking me out more than the sewage issue, but I have a mildew phobia. 

• Like 1

But...it gets worse Much worse. The idiots that put in the vinyl tile were not willing to pull up the linoleum that was already there and put it on the concrete slab (florida house). Or to put it just on top of the linoleum. No. They put a layer of plywood OVER the  linoleum, then they vinyl. Which means there has been plywood soaking up that sewage and water while molding mildewing and rotting. UGH!!!!!!!

Who does that?

:scared:  Glad you got that all ripped out.  Ew! doesn't begin to cut it!

• Like 1