Menu

Holidays with kids on the spectrum

ktgrok

Oh, yes, yes they are!! So are haircuts, school pictures, buying socks, etc. etc. I love my son but he is so exhausting.

I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago when it comes to giving my son haircuts. Bought a hairstyling cape and used it for the first time a few days ago. Kiddo sat there calmly reading something on my iPhone while I snipped and buzzed away. No fuss at all. Huzzah!

• Like 1

We don't see family on holidays anymore and don't really do anything special. Honestly, I wish I'd started that when my ds was very young, but I kept thinking "this time he'll be able to handle it" "this time we did X so that should make things easier."

:grouphug:

Yup. 

He absolutely refused to go to my sister's today to celebrate with her, the cousins, and my parents.  :closedeyes:

And didn't express that desire very well. 

Last Easter he got in a huff and refused to go to church on Easter, and then brunch. 

At least he's gotten better about Christmas. Sigh. 

SaveSave

Why does this surprise me every time!? Ds is 14. You would think I would expect it by now. Ds thought he was going to get a new game for xbox, a mature one that I refuse to let him have.

I know! And when it happens, it takes me a while to realize "oh, yeah....it's a holiday. He's always like this on holidays!"

In good news, he DID text an apology later. Which is a start. 

• Like 2

I know! And when it happens, it takes me a while to realize "oh, yeah....it's a holiday. He's always like this on holidays!"

In good news, he DID text an apology later. Which is a start.

I wonder if all those years I "thought this year would be different" ds was thinking "this year Mom will finally understand me..."

• Like 11