Menu

Ack! Face/nose pain and pain in teeth...updated

jewellsmommy

I know I should just go to a doctor, but things are a bit crazy right now and I am terrified of anything that looks like a dentist.

some history: when I was 16, I had sinus surgery that included repair of a deviated septum. Not sure what went wrong, but the septum was left broken afterward and more deviated. The bottom of the septum is not attached. I can easily push it side to side. There is a clicking feel and sound when I do this. Plus it curves to the left leaving the left upper nostril space partially blocked and the right upper area more open.

So, 2.5 weeks ago, allergies hit. I don't know if I pushed too hard on my nose during chronic drainage or did something in my sleep or what. But I woke to a very tender nose about a week and a half ago. Any pressure from wiping or blowing was painful. As that day went on, I was more cognisant of when my upper front teeth clicked against the bottom teeth. As days went on, this built to a pressure-type feeling in these 2-3ish teeth on the left of the midline (Incisors to the canine) as well as the gum and roof behind this area. The pressure and weird feeling became so constant and annoying that I began pushing on them with my tongue and possibly gritting. I caught myself pushing on the area with my fingers as well. (Subconsciously) 

2 days ago the bottom front teeth ( incisors and left canine) began to also feel pressure and got achy. Now both the top and bottom bothered teeth are temperature sensitive and pressure sensitive.

Plus, the area under my left eye has been tingling off and on and I can "feel" occasional pressure/sensation on the upper bridge. Just sitting here, I feel all kinds of weird itchy/tingly annoying sensation (not exactly pain though) in all those teeth and gum and upper roof and then the eye area. If I make certain facial movements then the nose hurts.

SO, all of this together makes me think that it is a nerve problem from the septum area of the nose. Would you agree? I get some limited relief from ibuprofen. I can tell when it wears off, but it is not anywhere near complete relief. Could this be teeth and the nose was a coincidence? Is this from grinding? Any btdt??? Someone please tell me that I don't have to see a dentist!!! Please!!! :001_unsure:

UPDATE: went to the urgent care. The doctor said it is a "raging sinus infection" and wanted to know why I waited til my face was falling off to come in.  :huh:  Um, because I didn't realize it was a sinus infection  :lol: . No fever, no drainage, no traditional sinus-infection feelings. Anyway, he prescribed Augmentin and told me to start it immediately. He also gave me some pain meds for the teeth/nose pain. He said if all of the pains don't resolve with completion of the antibiotics, then we could look at a possible issue with the broken septum (which he agreed was messed up, but doesn't think it's the problem). 

So, the Hive was right...congratulations.  :tongue_smilie:

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 3

Sounds like typical sinus infection symptoms. Antibiotics ought to take care of it quickly.

Can it be a sinus infection if:

1. There is no more sinus drainage (stopped about a week ago)

2. No fever

I used to get sinus infections all the time, thus the surgery at 16. But I haven't had one in a long time. I always felt pretty sick with them. Is it possible to have a stealthy sinus infection?

ETA: I can breathe through my nose and no drainage down my throat either

Edited by jewellsmommy

I have had a sinus infection without drainage or a fever. Something in there may be inflamed and putting pressure on a nerve.

You may want to try Flonase spray - it is OTC now. It shrinks the inflamed sinus tissue. I have avoided antibiotics several times by using it. Once the inflammation is reduced, anything stuck up there is able to drain.

• Like 6

Can it be a sinus infection if:

1. There is no more sinus drainage (stopped about a week ago)

2. No fever

I used to get sinus infections all the time, thus the surgery at 16. But I haven't had one in a long time. I always felt pretty sick with them. Is it possible to have a stealthy sinus infection?

ETA: I can breathe through my nose and no drainage down my throat either

Yes.

I typically don't have any noticeable symptoms when I get sinus infections. I've learned to act quickly when there is pain, however, because they get worse quickly. I didn't have my first sinus infection until I was past 30; not knowing what it was (no obvious symptoms) I didn't act quickly enough and I think that caused a lot of damage.

Eta I second the Flonase. I use it now at my first suspicion.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I actually have an unused flonase in the other room. It is dh's but he hasnt used it yet. I will go try it now. 

I had set up an ENT appt to finally deal with the septum issue when all this started, but the appt is in May. I have put it off because I know it is a surgical fix.

I will see my family dr and maybe he can expedite an appt if necessary.

Thank you! I am sooo glad no one has typed the dreaded word...dentist  :lol: .

• Like 3

Another vote for sinus infection.

I might be a little reluctant on the flonase as it may be a double-edged sword.  While it would be great to get better drainage going, I'm not keen on shutting off/decreasing immune system function in that area, particularly when it's likely that there's an infection.

• Like 1

Another vote for sinus infection.

I might be a little reluctant on the flonase as it may be a double-edged sword.  While it would be great to get better drainage going, I'm not keen on shutting off/decreasing immune system function in that area, particularly when it's likely that there's an infection.

I also wouldn't be comfortable using flonase for a sinus infection.  in my experience it does nothing at best for a sinus infection, or could just make things worse.

I'm going to go to an urgent care facility tonight. I just can't get into a doc during normal hours today or tomorrow, and now I worry about delaying any longer. I'm supposed to sing at church this coming Sunday, and then come home and cook. I don't want to still be dealing with this by then.

what I have done for otc tx of sinusitus is:

water.  lots and lots of water.

mucinex - thins the mucus.

ibruprophen - it's an antiinflamitory and helps to reduce swelling so the sinuses can drain.

I've also learned about NAC helping to reduce swelling.

• Like 2

UPDATE: went to the urgent care. The doctor said it is a "raging sinus infection" and wanted to know why I waited til my face was falling off to come in.  :huh:  Um, because I didn't realize it was a sinus infection  :lol: . No fever, no drainage, no traditional sinus-infection feelings. Anyway, he prescribed Augmentin and told me to start it immediately. He also gave me some pain meds for the teeth/nose pain. He said if all of the pains don't resolve with completion of the antibiotics, then we could look at a possible issue with the broken septum (which he agreed was messed up, but doesn't think it's the problem). 

So, the Hive was right...congratulations.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 5