Menu

Evening wedding

fairfarmhand

I'd aim for a cocktail dress.

I like this stylist's choices: http://www.fabulousafter40.com/what-to-wear-over-40-for-a-wedding-reception/

:iagree: And that said, I wouldn't buy anything new unless you were already itching for something new and you have other events to wear it.  I would just wear the nicest dress or skirt/blouse combo you own and call it good.  Especially if some style of dress isn't specified on the invite. 

• Like 3

Also, I'd use the location of the reception as a better indicator of attire than time of wedding these days. I mean Fred's Party Barn will look a little different than the Hilton ballroom.

Or an evening beach wedding or reception. We used to watch weddings from our beach house and while I'm sure everyone meant well, it was more than a little comical to watch the women stumbling thru sand in spike heels and attendants shivering in flimsy dresses ... I always wanted to take them some coats. Some had good sense if a little offbeat style in wearing wellies with their silken dresses.

Also, if you are outdoors for any part of the festivities, get sensible shoes that work on uneven or mushy ground.

Ross! They usually have great dresses for great prices. I've already picked up a dress for a wedding that's not until next January. :lol:

I recently found a Ralph Lauren cocktail dress on clearance at Ross for $40. It was probably originally 5x that price at the department store.

Rent the Runway is an option if you don't want to take up your closet space with something that you'll wear once.

My family wedding receptions (Chinese) are always in the evenings which is why they are called wedding dinners :)

Dress is really dependent on venue. A five star hotel ballroom or a pricy country club ballroom (about more than $80 per pax for the catered food) would be dressier than a wedding dinner at a less costly venue (about $50 for the catered food).

Ross! They usually have great dresses for great prices. I've already picked up a dress for a wedding that's not until next January. :lol:

Yes! Great prices. I found a new-with-tags dress from Ross at Goodwill.

Goodwill was selling it for more than the Ross price tag amount :rolleyes:

Also, I'd use the location of the reception as a better indicator of attire than time of wedding these days. I mean Fred's Party Barn will look a little different than the Hilton ballroom.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She can only dream that it will be someplace as classy as Fred's Party Barn. ;)

• Like 2

The general rule is the later the wedding the more formal it is. However, look to the location to give a clue.  If the reception is at a restaurant or country club type place, then yes, a cocktail dress and a dark suit for your husband.  If it's black tie all around the invitation should say so.  The last one we went to required a tux for DH and a long dress for me.  TJ Max to the rescue, lol.

They could be just getting married on Friday night because they have to be at work again on Monday morning. :)

It may not be as fancy as you're imagining.

Black Dress Pants and a dressy top & jewelry can get you almost anywhere, if you're in the background (as spouse of boss, you are not a prominent player).

I highly recommend borrowing from a friend, in situations like this.

• Like 1

I don't think of an evening wedding being any fancier than an afternoon wedding.  Time is often chosen depending simply on when the church and reception venue are available!  I think the type of dress has more to do with knowing the bride and groom and what they're like, and the location.

• Like 1

Agree that it has more to do with venue and the couple. Once upon a time, 7pm wedding would mean cocktail or semi-formal. Now? Who knows. We went to a 7pm wedding with a reception at a nice Westin, and there were people in jeans. I felt slightly overdressed in a cocktail-ish dress with fancy jewelry. (Faux jewelry. The Queen wasn't in town to lend me anything.) It was a wrap dress in that new-ish stretch jersey crepe stuff that looks nice but is super comfy in a non-seasonal color that can be worn any time of year. I think it was under "cocktail" at Nordstrom, but it was right around $100. They have a bunch of non-ridiculously priced dresses.