Menu

Posts made me think - what do you watch on cable these days?

I used to have my DVR set to House and it was my definite favorite. Wow, not after the last show. Coming on at 8 and starting out with a lesbian scene was just a little too much for me.

Now, before I get backlash, I am not judging others - just saying it was too much for me. I could handle his drug popping, arrogance but the last show was just not for me. So, I deleted it from my DVR and am not taping it anymore.

Then, I set it to tape Jon and Kate plus 8 and, like the thread, found her to be the most irritating person I have heard in a while. I just didn't get the point of having a play by play of them going to a ballgame. Just not for me.

So, now I am back to my original question, what is worthwhile to watch on cable these days. I just can't stand more news with the election - it's just overkill. For the first time, I have no series set to tape.:tongue_smilie:

I am looking forward to 24 and American Idol in the new year though.;)

Things that are currently scheduled to record on our DVR:

House (for my husband, but I'll watch if I'm in the room)

Heroes (although I'm about done with that)

Numb3ers (which is just okay, but watchable)

Good Eats (although we delete any shows that are too meat-centric)

Ace of Cakes

Monk (when there are new episodes)

Psych (ditto)

History Detectives (over the summer)

CBS Sunday

Honestly, though, I don't cry when I miss any of them. I wish I could find a show or two that I really loved, but no luck recently.

Well, I like HGTV, so I tape stuff like Rate My Space, House Hunters, and Designed to Sell. I LOVE The Office, and I also watch Frontline, The Mentalist, LAO SVU, and Survivor. I can't wait for 24 to start, although last season was a disappointment, IMO. These days, I don't have enough time to watch much tv, so I have to go through and delete even the shows that I love to make room on my DVR for Liberty's Kids and Curious George. Oh, and NASCAR for my sweetie (which I totally hate and he totally loves!).

I like educational television:

How I Met Your Mother

Samantha Who?

New Adventures of Old Christine

The Office

Mad Men (fave)

Top Model (back off)

30 Rock (eventually)

Lost (eventually)

Battlestar Galactica (eventually)

Oh, and a bunch of stuff from PBS and BBC America. Actually, now that I think about it, no. Nothing from those two.

Zelda, you slay me!! :D

On my DVR:

Chuck

Heroes

House

Pushing Daisies

Lost

Life

Life on Mars

My Own Worst Enemy

The Mentalist

The Office

Trading Spaces

Fringe (for now... haven't caught up since episode 3, 'cause I think it's kinda weird)

The Starter Wife (I just caught a few episodes and thought I'd check out a few more... kind of a guilty pleasure)

BTW... not sure any of these shows are worthwhile. I should probably be reading a book instead!!

No one? It's worse than I thought. What is scheduled to record on your DVR?

I'm trying some of the newer shows like Life and Life on Mars (?) and the one with Christian Slater. I enjoyed Ugly Betty last year but haven't watched the tapes yet this year. Tried Kath&Kim but found them too...something. Chuck has potential though we didn't watch last year. Dh reeallly didn't like Pushing Up Daisies, I might try one more -- it was the bee one, and it was irritating. Right now we're doing a lot of MLB too. :)

House just got too gross for me. Usually like Monk and the Closer, Psych is kind of lighthearted fun. Without a Trace, Numbers. I don't like the really sick-o shows nor the graphic reenactments like CSI. For us here, there was a real disconnect with the writing hiatus -- we started watching Bravo, History channel, etc. Dc loved Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet.

Does anyone know if Friday Night Lights is coming back?

My regulars:

Heroes

Lost (when it returns)

For the kids:

Liberty's Kids

When I have a moment I catch partial shows on these channels:

Animal Planet, HGTV, Discovery Channel, TLC

DH got Dish just so he could see the Dodgers play (they don't show them on local channels here), but after almost a year (our 1st) he's ready to call it quits. When SpongeBob is the most innocent thing out of whats playing on any of the 'kids channels', it really makes you stop and rethink it. On the other hand, the nature shows and other learning shows would be missed alot.

It's not cable, but has anyone caught The Last Enemy on Masterpiece Contemporary? I'm telling you, it's AWESOME.

I also watch Masterpiece Mystery; they've been doing the Inspector Lewis mysteries. I watch it for Hathaway. Yowza. Oh--and the mysteries are pretty good, too.

And I watch any Masterpiece Classic that they produce. They almost always ROCK.

Gotta stack up the "Battlestar Galacticas" and watch them all at once because for some reason I have a hard time holding the information in my head from one episode to the next.

My guilty pleasure is "Bones." :001_smile:

OK--and occasionally "Smallville." There. I admitted it. I'm so ashamed. But between the Superman guy and the Green Arrow guy--what's a girl to DO?!

Mythbusters

Monk

Top Chef (when in season)

Designed to Sell

Ds's' (?--2 ds's) faves:

reruns of Andy Griffith and Hogan's Heroes on TVland

Dogfights (History Channel)

How It's Made (something like that--Discovery Channel)

just about anything military--they used to love Mail Call when it was on

Cinder

No one? It's worse than I thought. What is scheduled to record on your DVR?

These are the shows that are programmed to record:

Stargate Atlantis

Sanctuary

Numbers

Ghost Whisperer

NCIS

The Mentalist

Knight Rider

Heroes

Eureka

Into the Unknown with Josh Bertstein

CSI

The Wizards of Waverly Place

Hannah Montana

We watch House in re-runs on USA because our 2 timers are taken when the first run episode is on.

We usually DVR all of these and either watch them the next night or begin watching a half hour after they start so that we can FF through all of the commercials.

I hate commercials.

Each morning, I will look and what is on the various Discovery channels, Biography, History, History International and National Geographic, and Encore channels to see what might be used in "school". I recently recorded To Kill A Mockingbird that we will watch this spring after reading the book.

The Amazing Race - CBS

The Suze Orman Show - CNBC

Mad Money with Jim Cramer - CNBC

Say Yes to the Dress - TLC

Little People, Big World - TLC

First ten minutes of The Today Show - NBC

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams

Designed to Sell - HGTV

Ace of Cakes - Food Network

Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt/Waves - Food Network

Temporarily almost anything on the DIY Network (a free preview channel until 10/28)

Just looking at my list makes me think - REALITY TV!

Claire in NM

Edited by Claire in NM