Menu

s/o selling home upgrades - what to do with a cheap house?

What are the best things to do when selling a really inexpensive home? 

I live in a 10 year old mobile home - I can reasonably expect to get $40,000-$60,000 for it - it's almost 2000 square feet with a 2 car garage in a park marketed to retirees. 

I do need to finish the baseboards from when we took out the carpet and put in laminate.

Probably paint - I like color, most people don't.

Freshen up my overgrown garden.

Declutter and de-junk.

But some things I just don't know if I should fix/upgrade. I don't think we will get much money by putting money into it.

My jacuzzi tub's jets don't work - fix or no?

My jacuzzi tub has yellowed - it's weird; somehow this tub is now yellow and everything else (sinks/shower/toilet) is white. Maybe the sun from the skylight above it reacted with it or something? It's a plastic-y tub, so I don't know if I can resurface it like you could a clawfoot. 

Countertops have some light staining in kitchen. (Granite look, but they're laminate)

My electric flat-top stove and oven probably should be replaced - I don't know if it'll ever come clean. Maybe I can change it to gas since the house was originally set up for either?

One door (they're kind of a plastic with faux wood grain) lost some color where I sprayed 409 that had bleach in it.

Some of the laminate has "popped"  -- the boards have separated, and pounding them together may be an option, but I don't know yet. 

We don't even know if we want to move yet. We look every spring, but we own this house outright, so we only pay lot rent. We don't know if we want a mortgage again, but this house is depreciating, not appreciating, so maybe?

What would you do if you knew that you were going to sell a house at this price point? For comparison, a stick built house this size in the area would run $125-$200K, depending on neighborhood.

• Like 1

Clean, declutter, and paint everything. :)

See if one of the prefab laminate countertops at Home Depot or Lowes will fit your space because they look decent and are super-inexpensive if you install it yourself.

New faucets and fixtures -- choose something stylish that's on sale, or choose the store brand to save money, and try to coordinate the styles.

Replacing the tub would be too expensive. Try to distract buyer's eyes away from it by making the rest of the room look fresh and pretty. Make sure you have new towels.

I wouldn't spend money to upgrade the range to gas, but I would replace the old one. New ranges can be quite inexpensive and your focus needs to be on new and shiny, not super fancy. :) How do your other appliances look? Buyers focus on appliances.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

Honestly. if the jets on the jacuzzi don't work. That is going to be likely found in inspection. I'd be asking your realtor about what they thought about it. I'd consider something just plain not working a bigger deal than looking run down.

I don't even think they do house inspections on mobile homes around here. My parents sold one, and there wasn't an inspection. Maybe it's up to the buyer?

I would, of course, disclose that the jacuzzi doesn't work - I wouldn't hide it. The tub just functions as a "garden tub", a large soaker without jets. The houses in the park here either have a garden tub or a jacuzzi. I just don't know if it would be worth it to pay plumber to diagnose and fix it. 

We haven't gone so far as to talk to a realtor since we don't know if we're going to sell yet.

What are the best things to do when selling a really inexpensive home? 

I live in a 10 year old mobile home - I can reasonably expect to get $40,000-$60,000 for it - it's almost 2000 square feet with a 2 car garage in a park marketed to retirees. 

I do need to finish the baseboards from when we took out the carpet and put in laminate.

Probably paint - I like color, most people don't.

Freshen up my overgrown garden.

Declutter and de-junk.

But some things I just don't know if I should fix/upgrade. I don't think we will get much money by putting money into it.

My jacuzzi tub's jets don't work - fix or no?

My jacuzzi tub has yellowed - it's weird; somehow this tub is now yellow and everything else (sinks/shower/toilet) is white. Maybe the sun from the skylight above it reacted with it or something? It's a plastic-y tub, so I don't know if I can resurface it like you could a clawfoot. 

Countertops have some light staining in kitchen. (Granite look, but they're laminate)

My electric flat-top stove and oven probably should be replaced - I don't know if it'll ever come clean. Maybe I can change it to gas since the house was originally set up for either?

One door (they're kind of a plastic with faux wood grain) lost some color where I sprayed 409 that had bleach in it.

Some of the laminate has "popped"  -- the boards have separated, and pounding them together may be an option, but I don't know yet. 

We don't even know if we want to move yet. We look every spring, but we own this house outright, so we only pay lot rent. We don't know if we want a mortgage again, but this house is depreciating, not appreciating, so maybe?

What would you do if you knew that you were going to sell a house at this price point? For comparison, a stick built house this size in the area would run $125-$200K, depending on neighborhood.

Since the jets don't work and it has yellowed maybe price replacing it with a soaker tub. 

My house was built in 1980 and the large garden tub in hall bathroom yellowed like that.  It was so weird. 

• Like 2

See if one of the prefab laminate countertops at Home Depot or Lowes will fit your space because they look decent and are super-inexpensive if you install it yourself.

New faucets and fixtures -- choose something stylish that's on sale, or choose the store brand to save money, and try to coordinate the styles.

Replacing the tub would be too expensive. Try to distract buyer's eyes away from it by making the rest of the room look fresh and pretty. Make sure you have new towels.

I wouldn't spend money to upgrade the range to gas, but I would replace the old one. New ranges can be quite inexpensive and your focus needs to be on new and shiny, not super fancy. :) How do your other appliances look? Buyers focus on appliances.

I agree with a new smooth top.  They are very inexpensive. 

• Like 3

I don't even think they do house inspections on mobile homes around here. My parents sold one, and there wasn't an inspection. Maybe it's up to the buyer?

I would, of course, disclose that the jacuzzi doesn't work - I wouldn't hide it. The tub just functions as a "garden tub", a large soaker without jets. The houses in the park here either have a garden tub or a jacuzzi. I just don't know if it would be worth it to pay plumber to diagnose and fix it.

We haven't gone so far as to talk to a realtor since we don't know if we're going to sell yet.

I wouldn't fix the jacuzzi jets. The tub already looks yellowed, so your only real choice is to replace it, which could cost at least a few thousand dollars that you won't be getting back.

I like your idea of leaving it unrepaired but disclosing that the jets don't work. If buyers want it fixed or replaced, you can offer them a few hundred dollars as a concession. I wouldn't do more than that because the tub is only a small part of the whole house, and the total selling price will be too low to justify that kind of expense. If you're spending a few thousand dollars, you can replace all of the appliances in the kitchen with inexpensive stainless appliances and create a lot more wow factor for your house than if you replace the tub.

• Like 3

I wouldn't fix the jacuzzi jets. The tub already looks yellowed, so your only real choice is to replace it, which could cost at least a few thousand dollars that you won't be getting back.

I like your idea of leaving it unrepaired but disclosing that the jets don't work. If buyers want it fixed or replaced, you can offer them a few hundred dollars as a concession. I wouldn't do more than that because the tub is only a small part of the whole house, and the total selling price will be too low to justify that kind of expense. If you're spending a few thousand dollars, you can replace all of the appliances in the kitchen with inexpensive stainless appliances and create a lot more wow factor for your house than if you replace the tub.

I would be shocked if it cost a few thousand to replace.  I was thinking $200. 

• Like 1

A jacuzzi pump motor (american standard) is $150.  

Replacing the entire jacuzzi is $1300.

This is a $40-50k mobile home.  I'd disclose that it's functioning as a garden tub, and move on.

Declutter, dejunk, tidy the outside and paint if needed.  I wouldn't put more than $500 into cleanup.

It sounds like your oven is just dirty....try a magic eraser, razor blade, and barkeepers friend (liquid).  Rags with warm water may also loosen stuff up.

• Like 4

Exactly what Catwoman said, Clean is #1, I would paint, replace counter tops with something from lowes, I'd paint the cabinets too if they were looking tired.  Better interior doors are not expensive especially if you use the same hardware and hang them yourself.  As for the tub I'd price out a cheaper replacement then offer to replace it to potential buyers or give them the amount the replacement would be toward a new tub of their choosing. As for the flooring.... that would put me off but I'm particular about floors and would likely replace it anyway.  So see if you can fix it yourself if not be prepared for them to ask for a reduction.  Appliances where I'm from do not come with the house unless agreed upon by both parties.  I'd get new ones that you like but are willing to give up if they want them.  I usually wouldn't want someone else's fridge but again I'm particular about that stuff.

• Like 3

A jacuzzi pump motor (american standard) is $150.

Replacing the entire jacuzzi is $1300.

This is a $40-50k mobile home. I'd disclose that it's functioning as a garden tub, and move on.

Declutter, dejunk, tidy the outside and paint if needed. I wouldn't put more than $500 into cleanup.

It sounds like your oven is just dirty....try a magic eraser, razor blade, and barkeepers friend (liquid). Rags with warm water may also loosen stuff up.

How can we even be sure it would only be $1300 to replace it? Those tubs come in different sizes. I know our jacuzzi tub cost several thousand dollars. Also, replacing the motor would involve labor charges in addition to the price of the pump, assuming that's the correct pump because this tub is older and who knows if it needs some hard-to-find part that costs extra. And even then, there's no guarantee that another problem won't be discovered when they replace the pump.

I agree with you about not spending any money to try to fix or replace the motor. Focus on making everything look clean and nice and call it good. :)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

I was just thinking -- if you want to post a few photos of the bathroom and kitchen, we might have some suggestions for you on how to perk things up a little without spending much money.

I know it's hard for me to envision things like that when I've owned a house for years because I'm so used to it looking a certain way, but someone else might walk in and immediately have some great ideas that wouldn't have occurred to me. Also, sometimes people end up looking right past the things we would expect them to notice and focus on some little minor detail.

• Like 1

I sold two inexpensive houses that had lots of cosmetic issues and less than perfect features. One sold in 5 days and the other in two weeks.

My realtors suggested not doing anything except keeping it tidy. Price fairly. Be ready to fix a couple things to make buyers happy. The things our buyers wanted were not necessarily the things I would have fixed.They will likely ask for something no matter what you do ahead of time.

In our scenarios, buyers looking in our price ranges were not looking for perfection. Lower cost homes in our markets generally came with some issues. People looking at inexpensive homes in our towns were expecting to have to paint, etc.

Just our experience. I know nothing about where you are or mobile homes.

• Like 5

The over-the-stove microwave probably needs replaced.

Washer/Dryer look new, but those usually don't get sold with the house.

The fridge is in good shape, but it's jammed into its hole - they literally dented the side of the fridge right where the countertop hits it getting it into its space. It's clean and shiny and works well.

The dishwasher is in good shape.

All of them are white.

• Like 2

I sold two inexpensive houses that had lots of cosmetic issues and less than perfect features. One sold in 5 days and the other in two weeks.

My realtors suggested not doing anything except keeping it tidy. Price fairly. Be ready to fix a couple things to make buyers happy. The things our buyers wanted were not necessarily the things I would have fixed.They will likely ask for something no matter what you do ahead of time.

In our scenarios, buyers looking in our price ranges were not looking for perfection. Lower cost homes in our markets generally came with some issues. People looking at inexpensive homes in our towns were expecting to have to paint, etc.

That's such a good point.

Maybe beckyjo can go to some open houses in her area to see some similar properties to see how her house compares. Photos on the real estate websites can be helpful, too, but the photos don't usually show the worst parts of a house and wide angle lenses make the rooms look bigger and brighter, so seeing properties in person can make a big difference.

The over-the-stove microwave probably needs replaced.

Washer/Dryer look new, but those usually don't get sold with the house.

The fridge is in good shape, but it's jammed into its hole - they literally dented the side of the fridge right where the countertop hits it getting it into its space. It's clean and shiny and works well.

The dishwasher is in good shape.

All of them are white.

Replace the range and the microwave. It will make your kitchen look like new. Fortunately, white is usually a little cheaper than stainless. Look for sales and remember that you want something pretty, not necessarily what you would choose for yourself. It's all about appearances.

• Like 1

That's such a good point.

Maybe beckyjo can go to some open houses in her area to see some similar properties to see how her house compares. Photos on the real estate websites can be helpful, too, but the photos don't usually show the worst parts of a house and wide angle lenses make the rooms look bigger and brighter, so seeing properties in person can make a big difference.

It is true that a less expensive house is not going to have people expecting perfection. 

Probably decluttering and cleaning really really well will be what you need most.(not saying I think your house is dirty!  That was an awkward sentence, sorry!)

• Like 2

Replace the range and the microwave. It will make your kitchen look like new. Fortunately, white is usually a little cheaper than stainless. Look for sales and remember that you want something pretty, not necessarily what you would choose for yourself. It's all about appearances.

Yes this. 

• Like 1

It is true that a less expensive house is not going to have people expecting perfection.

Probably decluttering and cleaning really really well will be what you need most.(not saying I think your house is dirty! That was an awkward sentence, sorry!)

LOL! I know what you mean -- it's probably clean already, but clean it like nobody has ever lived there. :)

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a refinishing kit for tubs & showers at Lowes. It was cheap, under $50, I think. Would that be something you could do to freshen your bathroom?

I have seen them for laminate kitchen countertops, too, but I don't know whether or not they're any good.

I'd clean it and make sure everything critical worked properly (plumbing, heating, etc.). 

I suspect if you put too much into cosmetic stuff you won't get your money back.  You'll probably take a hit in terms of what you can get, but most of that is cosmetic. 

This is coming from the pov of someone who bought a low priced fixer upper.  Only thing we insisted on was that stuff worked properly. I did not care about paint because we had to rip stuff out anyway and repaint.

But maybe consulting a Realtor would be best. 

• Like 1

To further explain my reasoning..... either leave it the way it is for the most part or replace it all.  I would not want a brand new counter top with everything else falling apart, for example.  Maybe a new appliance would be a relatively inexpensive bone to throw a potential buyer.  That could be used no matter what they end up doing with the place.  But the replacing it all, you won't get your money back probably.

The thought of patching everything up to sort of look ok kinda just makes me cringe.  I'd see right through that.  I have to say they made no effort to do that in our house when the previous owners sold it.  But at least I knew what I was getting.  Hell, they didn't even really clean it so well.  But this was all in line with the price point.

• Like 4

To further explain my reasoning..... either leave it the way it is for the most part or replace it all.  I would not want a brand new counter top with everything else falling apart, for example.  Maybe a new appliance would be a relatively inexpensive bone to throw a potential buyer.  That could be used no matter what they end up doing with the place.  But the replacing it all, you won't get your money back probably.

The thought of patching everything up to sort of look ok kinda just makes me cringe.  I'd see right through that.  I have to say they made no effort to do that in our house when the previous owners sold it.  But at least I knew what I was getting.  Hell, they didn't even really clean it so well.  But this was all in line with the price point.

It sounds like beckyjo's house is already in good shape, though, and that it has been well-maintained. I think she's just looking to freshen it up to appeal to buyers, not to patch it up to try to hide anything.

:iagree: 

It sounds like beckyjo's house is already in good shape, though, and that it has been well-maintained. I think she's just looking to freshen it up to appeal to buyers, not to patch it up to try to hide anything.

I see her description as cosmetic issues.  I wouldn't fix those.  I wouldn't even freshen them up.  I'm just saying if a faucet is leaky or something isn't working as well as it should be (maybe there is nothing in that category, maybe I'd include fixing the jets with this), focus on that above any cosmetic.

Just a tiny T/J, but we have this same issue with our house....not knowing which things to fix before we just try to sell it.  I've asked people's opinion before and honestly people are all over the map on it.  I suspect it has a lot to do with price point. 

I know yours is not a fixer....but just as an example, I would rather leave our concrete floors than risk putting something expensive in that a potential buyer hates...or something cheap that a buyer just sees right through and think, 'oh I am ripping that out first thing.' 

• Like 2

New and shiny will get you the best price possible at the price point you are talking about.

You invest in a new regular bathtub, replace the appliances as needed, paint, finish baseboards, spring for a new counter top - then either sell it for top dollar or enjoy living in a spruced up place! Either way, a win!!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 4

I was just wondering why you want to move. Your house sounds nice. :)

I know the value is depreciating, but how much will a new house (of comparable size) cost? I don't know anything about mobile homes, so I don't know if they tend to only last a certain number of years or if they can last as long as a regular house if they're well-maintained. If you like your neighborhood and the house will be good for a number of years, it may be more economical in the long run to stay right where you are.

You might make money on the sale of a regular house in the future, but there's no guarantee that the property value of a regular house won't decrease, so you could end up losing money when you sell that house as well.

You might try checking with a mobile home supply store.  We have one here that specifically sells replacement items for mobile homes.  Anyway, you may be able to find a regular garden tub for a reasonable price.  Then I would clean everything until it was spic and span, and then repair anything minor that was eye catching.  

I wouldn't do too much.  But maybe the tub - I always think of a non-working jet tub as full of grime inside.  Maybe toally untrue, but that is what I'd think about looking at a place.

Also - since you don't know whether you really want to move, you could think about what things you might enjoy yourself if you improved them.

This may not help you now, but, we fix up and modernize one or two rooms per year. Then, when we move, there is no hectic race to get everything done. Plus, we never get that total kick in the pocketbook from massive home upgrades.

For the non working tub jets, check into,having the jet holes plugged and tub refinished. Someone I know is having that done rather than replacing the tub so as not to disturb the tile work in the bathroom.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1