Menu

Bug bites?

mamaraby

The doctor's office didn't want my picture and didn't feel it was necessary for us to come in but based upon their questions said spider or bed bug bites and that was that. Dd2 is the only who has the bumps. They're mostly on one wrist, although there's a few on her hand, her foot, and her belly/back around waist height. She did go on a Girl Scout overnight last weekend so a week and a few days ago.

I have torn apart her bed at home and there are no signs of bed bugs there or elsewhere in our house, though the doctor's office said that if it was at home it would show up on more of us than just dd2. I talked to the Girl Scout leader and no one else has reported anything like it.

I am washing on hot/drying on hot anything that can be of hers just as a precaution and anything I know she took with her. Aside from that...is the doctor correct? Should I push back harder for her to be seen? Should I be concerned about bed bugs here? Talk me down, dh thinks I am over reacting.

post-16891-0-01667200-1489510224_thumb.jpg

post-16891-0-01667200-1489510224_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't really have even called the doc over that to be honest. I think the doc is right that if there were bed bugs at home, it would probably be on more than just one kid. It probably is bug bites or it could even be some other random rash. Could be that someone at GS camp had some mild something or other and passed it to your DD. I wouldn't worry about it unless they get a lot worse, start to itch too much, get infected, or show up elsewhere.

Normally I'd agree with you, but dh and I are supposed to drop the kids off at my parent's house on Friday and then spend the week sans kids for the first time in a very long time to celebrate a big anniversary. I don't feel comfortable doing that kid without knowing for sure what the deal is. If it's contagious or there's some underlying something we can spread to grandma and grandpa's house, I can't really drop the kids off there.

Dh has a very difficult job to schedule around so this was kind of a one shot thing.

She most likely got a spider in her sleeping bag and there is nothing wrong with your home.  I had a sleeping bag with a spider in it once when I was a kid.  I had bites on one foot, up that leg, and on one hand, just like that.  If it was continuing to get new bites every night, that would be one thing, but you haven't said that.

• Like 1

The doctor's office didn't want my picture and didn't feel it was necessary for us to come in but based upon their questions said spider or bed bug bites and that was that. Dd2 is the only who has the bumps. They're mostly on one wrist, although there's a few on her hand, her foot, and her belly/back around waist height. She did go on a Girl Scout overnight last weekend so a week and a few days ago.

I have torn apart her bed at home and there are no signs of bed bugs there or elsewhere in our house, though the doctor's office said that if it was at home it would show up on more of us than just dd2. I talked to the Girl Scout leader and no one else has reported anything like it.

I am washing on hot/drying on hot anything that can be of hers just as a precaution and anything I know she took with her. Aside from that...is the doctor correct? Should I push back harder for her to be seen? Should I be concerned about bed bugs here? Talk me down, dh thinks I am over reacting.

It's hard to tell from just the photo. It could be a reaction to plants or trees. Is it lasting over several days?  I get bumps and red, itchy skin from certain plants I come in direct contact with, but they don't usually last more than a few hours.

Edited by wintermom

If it were me in that situation, I would call my mom and see what see thinks. I would probably even send her that pic.

Did that. She wondered bed bugs or scabies or chicken pox. She's not sure about taking the kids without knowing what it is.

It's hard to tell from just the photo. It could be a reaction to plants or trees. Is it lasting over several days?

Started Sunday which would have been one week after she came home from the one night overnight trip. First noticed it on her wrist and then it's popped up on other spots a little at a time yesterday and today. It's really itchy, though it doesn't seem to itch more at night. An oral anti-histamine takes care of the itching. The spots are more concentrated on the one wrist and tend to be more sparse in the other locations.

I did wonder about plants, but we live in Wisconsin and it's winter so I wasn't sure and I didn't think we had spiders that bit people. I am not super knowledgeable about spiders, however.

Did she sleep in her own sleeping bag at the camp? Did you look inside the bedding? Was there anything there that might explain things? Possibly a metal zipper on the bag that she was sleeping in? I would think that any plants or insects outdoors would be in hibernation this time of year. 

It does look like the bites are tending toward clusters of three and bed bug bites tend to do that, but it could just be a coincidence.

If she isn't having symptoms other than the bites, I don't think there's any reason she'd need to be seen. Obviously you'd want to go in if the bites become infected or if she starts having allergy symptoms.

They don't look like chicken pox or the pictures I've seen of bed bugs. They do look sort of like shingles blisters. My DD got shingles when we had a newborn in the house. My mom had chicken pox as a child, so she went to Grandma's to get out of the house for a day.

Are they on the same foot as hand?

Any of the other kids have bites/blisters/whatever?

Edited by zoobie

She did go on a Girl Scout overnight last weekend so a week and a few days ago.

I talked to the Girl Scout leader and no one else has reported anything like it.

I'm not sure what your dd might have but I wanted to address this. I remember a school camping trip where I ended up covered in mosquito bites and no one else in my cabin got a single bite. I was bite-free before bed but in the morning my face had a bunch of bites, which kind of freaked out the other girls because no one else was affected. But I've since learned I am a mosquito magnet. So, just because no one else at camp was affected (if it does turn out to be bug bites) doesn't mean your dd wasn't. Possibly your dd is a biting-bug magnet as well.

:grouphug:   Hugs to your dd--hope she feels better soon!

• Like 2

Dh called the pediatrician's office that sees my two older kids and they said they could see her this afternoon. The ped took a look at the ones on her wrist, and then he looks at the other ones. His verdict - "I have no idea. She's not contagious though." He checked her throat and her ears. If it gets worse we're supposed to bring her back. If it doesn't go away he thinks maybe we should see a dermatologist. In the meantime he said to keep doing the Benadryl and try calamine or Cortaid.

He didn't think it looked like anything in particular, but I still unmade all the beds and looked for the standard signs and found nothing. I also double checked both sleeping bags and didn't see anything there either. Dh checked all the bed frames, wall, trim, etc. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear to be something we have at home. I washed/dried on hot what could be washed and dried those things and that I thought could handle it on hot in the drier.

No word on what grandma thinks about watching the kids now. Flea bites were floated as a possibility since we have two cats and a dog. The dog is on a preventative year round, but the cats are not. So, I suppose I should figure out how to check the cats.

I do appreciate the help troubleshooting. Like I said, probably wouldn't have really worried too kuch, but I really was looking forward to our anniversary week.

I have a child that has a pretty much identical reaction to flea bites as the photo. And also tends to be on the wrists or ankles and along the waistline of clothing/underwear.

The bites look different on my other child, I used to try to figure out if there were different causes but when they both got them at the same time and the cat had been caught sleeping in their beds, I finally accepted that one child just has a different reaction.

Poison ivy was my other thought too. Which also looks very similar on the same child.

Edited by xixstar

Looks like chiggers to me. Clear finger nail polish on every bite or it will keep spreading.

This was my thought as well.  My daughter once had chigger bites on her feet when we were camping and she was miserable.  They were terribly itchy. 

This is also my kid who through the years has had many random bump/rash/unidentified bite reactions.  I have had her to the doctor before and she has been diagnosed with everything from poison ivy to sun poisoning with several "I have no idea"s thrown in there as well. 

I thought poison ivy or molluscum. Molluscum don't tend to cluster in one spot though, and bed bugs usually bite the warmest parts like the torso or upper thighs unless there is a real infestation. You said she was at camp? It's been warm enough in most places do her to have had a run in with poison ivy.