Menu

Do commercial wart-freezing kits work?

cave canem

My daughter had about three on her hands that I thought we would never get rid of.  Treated and treated at home, with the OTC freezing kits and the medicine.   Finally left them alone and realized after a couple of months they went away.  I'm sure I was just being impatient and the medicine/freezing ultimately worked, just not on my time table.  

Our doctor has us try OTC products first as she says usually insurance won't cover the costs of removing them and you end up with a bill in the hundreds of dollars. And it can be painful. Both dds had success with Compound W. The kid with plantar warts on the bottom of the feet used the old fashioned liquid morning and night and it took a couple of weeks for the small one (we could see improvement quickly) and probably more like 6 to 8 weeks for the bigger one. For the other dd who had a wart on the ankle, they were out of what I usually got, so I got the Compound W treated bandaid things. Those were actually fantastic. Wart went away I think with just one box (leaving one on for a few days before changing I think).

• Like 2

I've had good results with them, used with the liquid after.  They sometimes didn't die right away though.

Can I add on a question? Can these be used for skin tags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen kits especially for skin tags, I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.  It looks similar to me.

• Like 1

We've had good results with the stick-on dots, the freezing kits, doctor freezing, and a combo of stick-on dots and doctor scraping w/scalpel (several visits).

We've had bad results with the stick-on dots (didn't use them long enough), the freezing kits (don't know why), and doctor freezing (didn't kill deep enough; wart came back).

We had wart issues and I tried a bunch of otc stuff and finally took my son to a Dr. who wanted him to take huge doses of heartburn medicine. 🙄

But I found something simple that works - iodine! Put it on the wart 2-3 times per day. They will shrink and eventually disappear. And it is pain free!

Can I add on a question? Can these be used for skin tags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. My dh had a skin tag that was really bothering him, and that's how we got rid of it. It was my idea to try it, so of course he was terrified, but I didn't hurt him or anything! :)

• Like 1

We had wart issues and I tried a bunch of otc stuff and finally took my son to a Dr. who wanted him to take huge doses of heartburn medicine. 🙄

But I found something simple that works - iodine! Put it on the wart 2-3 times per day. They will shrink and eventually disappear. And it is pain free!

Our ped had ds put  liquid tagamet directly on his wart.  It took about a week for it to work.  

Edited by Artichoke

If you are going to freeze off a wart, I'd definitely do it at a dr office.  The freezing stuff at the dr office is pretty difficult to apply and burns a lot. My dr had on gloves and used long clampy-things. I'd not be trying that on myself or a family member ever. It was very effect for removing my dd's plantar warts, though, and she had quite a few. It took 2 treatments and they haven't returned. 

Edited by wintermom