Menu

First tornado watch of the year

Bensmom

I am not ready for spring. We never had a real snow this winter. I kept telling myself not to get too disappointed about no snow. It is not unusual here to get a warm spell in February and then a snow the first week of March.

I guess spring is really here. It has been unusually warm for weeks and we are under our first tornado watch of the year😕. Dh reminded me to check flashlights and put shoes by the bed etc. in case we hear the sirens. I like a nice thunderstorm, but tornado watches kinda stress me. I know it seems petty to be bummed over weather, but I am.

Just needed a short vent. Now I will sit here and think of all the things I am thankful for and try to ignore the wind and sound of my old tree limbs cracking

I am so done with this kind of weather and the season is just starting. Maybe some people find a way to move out of tornado alley. Not too many places exempt from terrifying weather. Some people love it, some people chase it.

It doesn't look too bad on weather maps for now, Bensmom. Vent away! 

We had a watch last week, and multiple tornadoes in our state, but not close to us. They are unnerving. We have high winds again tonight, and it's supposed to start storming soon, but I don't think we're supposed to get anything really severe. It's going to be back in the 20s next weekend. I don't think winter is quite through with us yet.

I woke up the other morning with my bedroom light on and my teen son standing next to my bed. When I asked him what he was doing, he asked why the tornado sirens had been going off. Sure enough, we were having our first tornado warning of the year and spent the rest of the morning in our very unpleasant basement.

• Like 1

DD#2's teacher was talking about the snow at her place. We had high 70s today. It was so nice that I declared a "Great Weather Day" and we did only math & reading aloud. We also had tornado watches & severe thunderstorms this evening, but I admit I don't mind either as long as I don't have to go out. 

Hope y'all are safe today & going forward.

My kids are sleeping in the basement again tonight.

My tolerance for severe weather is waning with age. I used to want to be a meterologist. Now I just want to move somewhere with boring weather.

This is us exactly. All 4 kids asleep in the basement while I wait up anxiously for the worst to come and go. I loathe tornado season.

We just spent 30 minutes in the basement listening to the tornado sirens and watching the radar on our phones. The local news reported a funnel cloud a couple blocks away from our house so we got the kids out of bed and took shelter. They were NOT happy to be woken up. :rolleyes:

Boring weather sounds great to me. Where is that exactly? :laugh:

• Like 1

We had a severe thunderstorm warning and a tornado watch last night. The wind was howling like a freight train, but thankfully, no tornadoes touched down near us. We had some fence damage and trees that fell down.

Our first tornado watch this year was in February, which is the earliest I can ever remember. Usually, tornado season doesn't start for us until later in the spring.

A tornado touched down about 30 miles away, but no damage except trees and power lines down.  This is the earliest our state has ever had its first tornado!  We're usually still in full-blown winter here this time of year.

We had a severe thunderstorm warning and a tornado watch last night. The wind was howling like a freight train, but thankfully, no tornadoes touched down near us. We had some fence damage and trees that fell down.

Our first tornado watch this year was in February, which is the earliest I can ever remember. Usually, tornado season doesn't start for us until later in the spring.

When my older boys were toddlers, we had a Christmas snowstorm so bad that we didn't make it to any family dinners. A week later, on New Year's Eve, we took the kids out to lunch. A tornado went through while we were at the restaurant, killing a woman who was driving on the road we'd just been on, about a half mile from where we were eating.

Missouri weather is just ridiculous. We had a Christmas Eve tornado warning when I was about 12, too. Seems our season is January-December.

Hope your fence isn't damaged too badly!

Edited by BarbecueMom

I went to  bed early and had my window open.  The wind was blowing so hard and it was so nice in my room.  The tv was on because--warnings and watches and wind oh my---but I went to sleep while dh stayed up to monitor the map.  I think it finally calmed down sometime after midnight.

When my older boys were toddlers, we had a Christmas snowstorm so bad that we didn't make it to any family dinners. A week later, on New Year's Eve, we took the kids out to lunch. A tornado went through while we were at the restaurant, killing a woman who was driving on the road we'd just been on, about a half mile from where we were eating.

Missouri weather is just ridiculous. We had a Christmas Eve tornado warning when I was about 12, too. Seems our season is January-December.

Hope your fence isn't damaged too badly!

I know where you live (said ina total non-creepy tone😉).

I remember both of those tornados.

• Like 2

I am not ready for spring. We never had a real snow this winter. I kept telling myself not to get too disappointed about no snow. It is not unusual here to get a warm spell in February and then a snow the first week of March.

I guess spring is really here. It has been unusually warm for weeks and we are under our first tornado watch of the year😕. Dh reminded me to check flashlights and put shoes by the bed etc. in case we hear the sirens. I like a nice thunderstorm, but tornado watches kinda stress me. I know it seems petty to be bummed over weather, but I am.

Just needed a short vent. Now I will sit here and think of all the things I am thankful for and try to ignore the wind and sound of my old tree limbs cracking

Us too last night!  It was totally off my radar - I'd just picked up DS from Trail Life when I got a phone call from my Dad.  I told him it would be fine and then the sirens went off.  We got to hang out in a grocery store dairy cooler for a short while. :P ;)

I'm with you - there is nothing better than a dramatic thunderstorm but I lose no love on tornado drama.