Menu

Where to take AP exams?

mbweber

Good morning.  I'm new to this forum and apologize if this topic has already been addressed.  My daughter is in high school and homeschooled. I signed her out of our local district.  She's attending a fantastic cyber high school, taking AP classes and doing well.  My issue is that I can't find a school near us that will permit her to take AP exams.  Our local district is out of the question since it would cause my child to have tremendous anxiety to set foot in our local HS.

College Board has given us the names of several high schools near us that offer the test.  One said they only offer it to residents. Another was a private school that said they can only accommodate their own students. Another said maybe and that's after their students have registered, which means my daughter might not be able to take the test there. They also only offer one of the two tests she wants to take and won't order the second test. 

I have one school that's a possibility, but the guidance counselor suggested I use them as a last resort.  He also indicated that ordering the second test that she wants to take would be a hardship for him.

I emailed more schools Friday since I thought it might be easier for the guidance counselors to see my questions in advance.

I'm not sure what else we can do.  I feel like we're running out of time.  College Board wasn't much help when I called to explain the challenges we're facing.

We live in New Jersey in Monmouth County.

Thank you in advance.

This is the major issue with AP tests for homeschoolers. By January a commiseration thread pops up each year as parents spend months trying to negotiate where to find places for their students to test. My son wants to take both music theory and art history, but it is essentially a no go since there is nowhere for him to acutally test. He is learning it still, but it doesn't much show anywhere.

Many people drive between 1-3 hours for the exams. Last time I checked for us, it looked like about 2ish hours.

Unfortunately this is an issue every year.  I, too, would think the cyber high school would have secured a place for the students to take their AP exams.  Have you contacted them?

I always recommend people find a school for their child to take an AP exam before they even sign their child up for an AP class.  I know some have found schools that are further away from where they normally test.  Some have even rented hotel rooms because the drive would be too far in the morning.  I would continue to email/call schools, and maybe offer to pay an additional fee, especially if your child will be the only one taking the exam.  I believe most schools do order exams in March, so you do want to find a school quickly.  

I am so sorry you are having this problem.  Many on TWTM boards go through this every year and I wish there was a solution!

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

The school my daughter attends is international and the administrators are in another country. They helped us to obtain accommodations for my daughter, but they don't assist with finding a place to take the exams.  I also found out this morning that College Board can tell you which schools don't take outside students. The names of the schools I had previously been giving by College Board don't take outside students, and I was given those names in error. 

At this point, it looks like we might be going to NYC or Philadelphia for her to take the tests.

There is a list of schools who have an approved syllabus for different tests that can be found (I think) on the AP Course Ledger page (searchable). It might help you find other schools to contact.

Thanks for posting that! Do you know how to interpret the results when there is a "2" for instance in the biology column? 2 seconds of that class being taught? 2 people taking the test? Perhaps if I searched from something larger than my phone I would be better at interpreting. Everything "AP" makes me anxious.

Thanks for posting that! Do you know how to interpret the results when there is a "2" for instance in the biology column? 2 seconds of that class being taught? 2 people taking the test? Perhaps if I searched from something larger than my phone I would be better at interpreting. Everything "AP" makes me anxious.

It means there are two approved syllabuses for that school. Doesn't affect test registration or access.

• Like 3

We called around to private schools. Don't be shy about phoning elite ones -- one of the schools that agreed to allow my son to take the AP we were having trouble with was a super-exclusive super-expensive all-male boarding school several hours away, but they seemed happy about my son taking the exam there. The funny thing is that he would have had to wear a jacket and tie to take the exam! ;-)

He ended up not having to take it there.....

First of all, call, don't email.  It is harder for them to say no on the phone than through an email.  Always ask for the AP testing coordinator.  Sometimes that person is more amenable to allowing special cases.  Also, (this is a major issue I have with the College Board) they really don't have any idea who allows outside students to take a test and who doesn't.  The only thing I would look at is the AP Course Ledger to see who has an approved syllabus.  This does not mean that they are offering the test, but it may increase the chances. 

• Like 1

There are some good ideas and encouragement in the various AP exam commiseration threads...

One thing I did when I was looking for schools was to ask them to refer me to a school they thought might be able to accept an outside student.  Sometimes they would start listing schools and I would respond that I'd already been rejected by them or that they weren't actually offering the AP exam.

One year I was referred to the state DOE director for AP.  She couldn't find me a public school in the state that offered the tests I needed, but did provide a referral to a very select private school that was extremely welcoming.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

Just start calling: private schools, public schools (we've always had better luck with public for some reason), after schooling and tutoring centers.  Just start with the schools closest to you and work your way out.  Tell them you don't need accommodations (if you don't) and you are willing to pay any fees.  Tell them you  will use your own homeschooling code so your student's score won't affect their average.  Be super nice since they don't have to let you join their class.  

I posted in the linked threads, but yes call. I had to call over 50 schools for my oldest's Latin exam.

I even faxed some of them multiple times, and the one we finally ended up with came from a fax I sent late in the day. I had called her, but the fax changed her mind. I had to drive there immediately to get the check and form there, but we did it. They were utterly lovely to DD. He took it alone in the guidance office.

My problem was that I wanted too long to set it up because many of the schools in our area closed registration in December before the holiday break.

• Like 1

We really struggled to find a place to take APs, but we did finally get a private school to do it. We were the first homeschool family they had ever allowed to test. Someone has to be first. Just keep calling. There is an AP Exam Commiseration thread on the high school board each year. 

Here is one from 2016.

Here is one from 2015.

• 4 weeks later...