Menu

Has anyone stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

mommyoffive

Yes.

It's more adult than other options. It is MUCH further from the parks via bus if you wanted to go that route.. Like 40 minute bus ride. My personal favorite restaurant in all of Disney is in there :) Sanaa.

The giraffes and exotic animals out the window are very cool but the kids got over it fast. It is more like a high end ordinary hotel than something Disney-ish. I would stay there wth adults again- but not while we are still in the magic kingdom years.

We went and stayed there a few years ago. We were able to get points from an acquaintance at a really good price for a one bedroom villa savannah view. My kids were 12, 10 and 8. We loved it! We wanted to go back, but lost our acquaintance. We rented a car and had no problem getting places. The kids loved the animals and the pool. It was our third visit. We also stayed at the Polynesian and Saratoga Springs. My kids want Animal Kingdom again.

We went and stayed there a few years ago. We were able to get points from an acquaintance at a really good price for a one bedroom villa savannah view. My kids were 12, 10 and 8. We loved it! We wanted to go back, but lost our acquaintance. We rented a car and had no problem getting places. The kids loved the animals and the pool. It was our third visit. We also stayed at the Polynesian and Saratoga Springs. My kids want Animal Kingdom again.

Tell me more.

Are there kids activities? 

I just found out that AKL is on Hotels.com.  That is why I am thinking about it.  I have free nights to cover it. 

Tell me more.

Are there kids activities? 

I just found out that AKL is on Hotels.com.  That is why I am thinking about it.  I have free nights to cover it. 

We stayed there when my brother won a trip to Disney and shared with us. We were there during Thanksgiving/Christmas season, so there was a huge tree in the lobby with a photographer. The kids' activities were storytime and cartoons in the lobby. I don't really recall anything else, but I'm sure there was something. The kids loved the bunk beds in our room, and our view of the savanna was awesome (although we saw hardly any animals). The hotel has little viewing areas throughout, so even without a savanna view, you can still watch the animals from the hotel.

We absolutely loved it.  

I loved that it was a peaceful and quiet retreat from the madness of the resort. I didn't mind the long bus route as it was a bus dedicated to just the lodge (and maybe one other hotel?) so the line to get on the bus at the end of the day wasn't huge and you could get on the first bus that came.

I loved watching the animals from the room balcony, though we also stayed in a non-view room one time, which was fine, too.  I loved that there were bunk beds in the room for our boys!! 

I loved the really unique activities in the hotel. There were night vision binoculars that we got to use while an animal caregiver gave a talk. There are nightly (or at least frequent) talks given by Lodge cast members about their home countries.  Almost everyone working at the lodge is from Africa. We attended a couple of talks, one of which was by a gentleman from Uganda who was one of the first cast members to come from there. He showed slides of his home town on Lake Victoria, and talked about fishing on the lake as a child with his father. At the time I had middle school or late elementary students, and to me it was like a little homeschooling add on. For younger kids there are crafts and parades with African instruments. 

I'd say if you have animal lovers in the family, it is a no-brainer. It is expensive, and if it is out of your budget, you can always ride the bus out there in the afternoon, enjoy the animals, evening activities and have dinner, then take the bus back to your hotel, assuming you are staying within the resort.

• Like 1

We absolutely loved it.  

I loved that it was a peaceful and quiet retreat from the madness of the resort. I didn't mind the long bus route as it was a bus dedicated to just the lodge (and maybe one other hotel?) so the line to get on the bus at the end of the day wasn't huge and you could get on the first bus that came.

I loved watching the animals from the room balcony, though we also stayed in a non-view room one time, which was fine, too.  I loved that there were bunk beds in the room for our boys!! 

I loved the really unique activities in the hotel. There were night vision binoculars that we got to use while an animal caregiver gave a talk. There are nightly (or at least frequent) talks given by Lodge cast members about their home countries.  Almost everyone working at the lodge is from Africa. We attended a couple of talks, one of which was by a gentleman from Uganda who was one of the first cast members to come from there. He showed slides of his home town on Lake Victoria, and talked about fishing on the lake as a child with his father. At the time I had middle school or late elementary students, and to me it was like a little homeschooling add on. For younger kids there are crafts and parades with African instruments. 

I'd say if you have animal lovers in the family, it is a no-brainer. It is expensive, and if it is out of your budget, you can always ride the bus out there in the afternoon, enjoy the animals, evening activities and have dinner, then take the bus back to your hotel, assuming you are staying within the resort.

Great tips

Do you have to pay for the binoculars? 

Are all the evening activities free or paid?

If you just ride out there from another resort how do they know to let you in?  Do you have to have tickets to the park too?  Or can you just stay at a budge disney hotel and then go there?

Okay, I like AKL so much that I recently told DH that we could maybe go back to Disneyworld and just stay at the lodge, skip the parks.

The first time we stayed we arrived at midnight, nothing to see, exhausted from delayed flights. Just past dawn DH shook us awake to see the giraffes staring in from about 20 feet away. We spent hours that week mesmerized by the animals, with the special treat of a kudu (a kind of large antelope) that got through the perimeter fence and wandered up and down beside the rooms for an hour. We've returned twice.

You will want to consider the heights of the various floors. First floor is too low, it seems we started going for the 3rd floor for the optimal view - still animal hieight, but we could see across. This might depend on which wing, though.

Rooms were fine, loved the dining options, very cool lobby.

• Like 1

Yes!  We loved staying there!  I felt that it was less busy than other resorts since people that may got to resorts to check them out, don't always want to go out to AK because it is further.  So the lobby wasn't always packed and there weren't usually people from other resorts for the events they held.  We loved the room (stayed in a one room with kitchen and washer and dryer!  A must since we had young ones.  I think it was a Disney Vacation Club room we were given at check in).  My kids loved walking through the resort, watching for animals as we walked by the windows. 

They have quite a few things for kids.  A few I remember were the movies at night, you could get the night vision binoculars to check out animals at night, smores in the evening, there was an opportunity to bake and decorate cookies, a scavenger hunt throughout the hotel looking for things that related to Africa, in the lobby there were different presentations each day about the countries the animals were found in and when we were they, there were actually people native to the countries presenting (my kids loved this!  We were studying geography that year so they were able to learn a lot more!).  My kids were even taught to play drums and other musical instruments from the countries.  That's all I can remember as it was a few years ago, but after staying there, we did say we would be staying there again if we went.

The quick service restaurant on the site was good too.  We weren't able to do the sit down since we always got back too late.  We liked to pool as well.

We didn't have any issues with buses, but also had a car, so we drove some days too.  

Yes!  We loved staying there!  I felt that it was less busy than other resorts since people that may got to resorts to check them out, don't always want to go out to AK because it is further.  So the lobby wasn't always packed and there weren't usually people from other resorts for the events they held.  We loved the room (stayed in a one room with kitchen and washer and dryer!  A must since we had young ones.  I think it was a Disney Vacation Club room we were given at check in).  My kids loved walking through the resort, watching for animals as we walked by the windows. 

They have quite a few things for kids.  A few I remember were the movies at night, you could get the night vision binoculars to check out animals at night, smores in the evening, there was an opportunity to bake and decorate cookies, a scavenger hunt throughout the hotel looking for things that related to Africa, in the lobby there were different presentations each day about the countries the animals were found in and when we were they, there were actually people native to the countries presenting (my kids loved this!  We were studying geography that year so they were able to learn a lot more!).  My kids were even taught to play drums and other musical instruments from the countries.  That's all I can remember as it was a few years ago, but after staying there, we did say we would be staying there again if we went.

The quick service restaurant on the site was good too.  We weren't able to do the sit down since we always got back too late.  We liked to pool as well.

We didn't have any issues with buses, but also had a car, so we drove some days too.  

Are all those activities free?

Most of the activities at the resorts are free, Mommyoffive.  Movie night is come and go, they have activities at the pool, usually something in the lobby...the welcome packet they used to give detailed all the offerings each night, but the Disboards has a thread for each hotel with pictures and detailed plans from people who have been.

We have stayed at the Wilderness and the Contemporary.  Dh wanted the AKL, but my thing is the buses.  I like having a variety of transporation available.  But of the two the Wilderness Lodge was our favorite because of the quiet feeling to it.  I'm sure you'd be happy at the AKL.

• Like 1

We stayed there for a week and loved it.  The kids would wake up early every morning to watch the keepers take care of the animals, and we could sleep in.  They have a fantastic free education program on site, with different activities every day.  The kids really enjoyed learning to use animal tracking antennas etc.  The staff (like all Disney staff) is fantastic, and allowed the kids to ask zillions of questions about the animals, answering them intelligently and prodding the kids to think a bit more deeply about the why behind what they do.

• Like 1

We are DVC owners there too and love it. We drive to Disney, so the buses aren't an issue for us. It's a lovely, unusual hotel. 

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/animal-kingdom-lodge/recreation/

I think the activities are listed on this calendar, but my computer won't load it for some reason. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/animal-kingdom-lodge/2017-01-16/ 

There is a thread on Disboards for each hotel that is FILLED with pictures and details for every hotel. You can probably find pics of the view from each room. 

The activities they had were free, but I can't imagine going there as a destination. The ranger talks were kind of interesting but not exceptional, imo, while we were there. The night vision binoculars were cool but short lived experience. Other kid's activities I remember were watching the Lion King and watching/trying some drums. There are some cool things but it is just a hotel. I have a hard time imagining that you'd want to stay somewhere else and visit the lodge. Maybe if you were going for a meal and stayed a while to hang out? It is like going to a Mandarin Oriental with the dolphins swimming around (although I don't even know that exists anymore!), but it is nothing like a trip to SeaWorld. If you are not going to visit Disney, an ordinary zoo would be a better visit. Usually the AKL is really pricey so if you were staying there one night, it might  be the same cost as staying in a cheap hotel and spending one day as a family in Animal Kingdom which would be way better bang for your buck. 

Edit:  I just saw in another post that you had a free night!  That makes sense. Well it is probably one of the coolest hotels you can find as far as a free night goes. 

Edited by CadenceSophia

We've been a couple of times, but not in years.

We love it! However, if you're spending a lot of time *doing* Disney, it might be worth it to stay at a cheaper option. Animal Kingdom lodge is great for hanging around, viewing the animals, and lounging by the pool. If you're not going to be there much, it may not be worth the money.

The activities they had were free, but I can't imagine going there as a destination. The ranger talks were kind of interesting but not exceptional, imo, while we were there. The night vision binoculars were cool but short lived experience. Other kid's activities I remember were watching the Lion King and watching/trying some drums. There are some cool things but it is just a hotel. I have a hard time imagining that you'd want to stay somewhere else and visit the lodge. Maybe if you were going for a meal and stayed a while to hang out? It is like going to a Mandarin Oriental with the dolphins swimming around (although I don't even know that exists anymore!), but it is nothing like a trip to SeaWorld. If you are not going to visit Disney, an ordinary zoo would be a better visit. Usually the AKL is really pricey so if you were staying there one night, it might  be the same cost as staying in a cheap hotel and spending one day as a family in Animal Kingdom which would be way better bang for your buck. 

Edit:  I just saw in another post that you had a free night!  That makes sense. Well it is probably one of the coolest hotels you can find as far as a free night goes. 

Thank you for that honest advice.  I didn't want to go on Disney chat boards, because all those people love disney so much. 

Yeah I am on the fence about it.  

We have not stayed there, but we have been to the restaurants.  Anyone can come and go, like any Disney Resort.  The restaurants are busy. So there's a lot of people around.  It would probably be a fun night.  The Disney lover in me would be sad to not visit a park. :)

Disney is still on the table.  Although we are sort of leaning to no.   We did DL the last two years.  It was ok the first time and the second time we didn't have any fun.

I don't think the kids would be excited to go at all.

Another time out to California they picked Legoland over Disney.   And we all loved it 100% more than Disney.

Disney is still on the table.  Although we are sort of leaning to no.   We did DL the last two years.  It was ok the first time and the second time we didn't have any fun.

Another time out to California they picked Legoland over Disney.   And we all loved it 100% more than Disney.

I am always so confused when I hear things like this. LOL

NOT like Disney?  It just doesn't sound possible! :)

DW is a much different feel from DL I hear.  I have only been to DW.  So, I have no actual proof. HEHE

I guess my kids' excitement could be attributed to their parents' love of adventure.  DW is always a new experience for us.  We can only afford to go every 4-5 years(with other trips in between.)  We are not rest and relax vacationers! lol  We plan lots of new experiences including food.  My kids are so adventurous with food there.  There are so many options.(we live in a fairly rural area with few options for food.)  We also LOVE the diversity.  People from all over the world ready to chat, answer questions, and play with our kids.  I love that!

It just happens to be an ideal place to take kids of very different ages.  This year was the first year my ds20 didn't go.  He was at college.  And he was sad...so were we.  I think we will plan a trip for his graduation in 2 years. :)

I also love that once we are there, we are there.  We fly in.  We get on a bus and that's it!  No driving, no van rental.

• Like 2

Yes.

It's more adult than other options. It is MUCH further from the parks via bus if you wanted to go that route.. Like 40 minute bus ride. My personal favorite restaurant in all of Disney is in there :) Sanaa.

The giraffes and exotic animals out the window are very cool but the kids got over it fast. It is more like a high end ordinary hotel than something Disney-ish. I would stay there wth adults again- but not while we are still in the magic kingdom years.

It IS a bit farther from SOME, but not all of the parks. It is extremely close to Animal Kingdom, and a short distance from Hollywood Studios and Epcot. It will be about a 20-25 minute bus ride to Magic Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is absolutely gorgeous and has some great restaurant offerings that are quite unique. I highly recommend it!

Also, I am a Disney Travel Agent, so if you happen to need any help with making reservations or planning your trip, feel free to PM me. My services are free.

• Like 1

Disney is still on the table. Although we are sort of leaning to no. We did DL the last two years. It was ok the first time and the second time we didn't have any fun.

Another time out to California they picked Legoland over Disney. And we all loved it 100% more than Disney.

Have yall been to Disneyworld? It is quite different than Disneyland. It's MUCH bigger, has 4 parks plus Disney Springs, water parks, mini golf courses, etc. There's really nothing quite like it.

It IS a bit farther from SOME, but not all of the parks. It is extremely close to Animal Kingdom, and a short distance from Hollywood Studios and Epcot. It will be about a 20-25 minute bus ride to Magic Kingdom.

The transport center at MK though right? So 25 mins plus transfer to monorail or ferry for another 15 minutes... If there us no line for the monorail. We go to Disney every year and maybe we were just unlucky the one year we stayed at AKL* but some of our total transport times were overt 1h 15 "door to door"

*now that I am thinking about it, I think the monorail was actually broken during that trip, so maybe the extra traffic unfairly added to my memories but it was pretty awful if all your kid want to do is be in MK.

Well we didn't end up doing it.  

The vacation was insane in a bad way.  

Every kid fell sick, went to see a rocket launch the didn't happen, other stuff, and the day we were going to do AK was all the crazy storms and tornadoes.  

We did do a little time at Disney Springs and had an amazing time.  My kids who didn't want to do disney.  SIGH.  So now I wish we had if they had not been sick.  So maybe we will go back and do that some day.