Menu

How do I sanitize colored clothing/blankets without ruining the color?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm just getting over a stomach bug, and spent several days cocooned in a nest of blankets on the couch. I want to sanitize them (as well as the clothing and other soft goods that were barf-adjacent), but I'm not sure how to do that without bleach, and in the past, no matter how careful I've been doing that, I ended up with at least some spots and fading on colored items.

Is there something else I can use that will sanitize but not ruin the coloration? Does ammonia kill the bacteria that cause most stomach bugs? No one else got sick, and I would really REALLY like to keep it that way! We're taking all the other precautions, and I know soft goods are probably low-risk, but still...

Thanks!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I use ammonia plus detergent in a hot wash for workout gear that stinks, when detergent alone isn't doing it. I'm guessing ammonia does kill germs because it's the only thing that gets those clothes fresh smelling again. 

Dry on hot. You could also store the items for few days before returning them to use.

Amy

I am not sure this would even occur to me. I like to add a few drops of peppermint oil to a load when I'm trying to sanitize. That is what we did after a hurricane and we wanted to save items that had been affected. That is what I do still when I just want to help a load that is icky (like extra smelly).

I never do laundry with bleach so I wouldn't even know how.

Ds had flu (not stomach flu but he did throw up) a few months ago. I didn't do anything particularly special. Probably washed on hot or warm with my usual Arm & Hammer oxi clean detergent + peppermint oil. If I have two drastically different colored items I just do a separate load. Like we have some bright red towels I never wash with my other towels because they are still fairly new and I'm not willing to risk them bleeding as I wash them on hot.

Viruses aren't that hardy. A good wash with detergent and dry either in the sun or dryer will take them out. If you're really paranoid wash them twice, but really, just normal laundering will take care of it. 

OK, thanks everyone. I opted for the hot water/hot dryer option. I did add lots of vinegar to the load, just in case. Nothing actually got barfed on, thankfully, but I feel like there are creepy crawly bacteria all over everything, and I'm no germophobe :lol: This wasn't even that bad, as stomach bugs go--only one real night of true misery, then two days of nausea--but I'd still rather not deal with the fallout for three more people  :willy_nilly:

Viruses aren't that hardy. A good wash with detergent and dry either in the sun or dryer will take them out. If you're really paranoid wash them twice, but really, just normal laundering will take care of it. 

Really? The articles about GI bugs are just terrifying! I was also trying to figure out how to sanitize a wood coffee table today (I wasn't sure if I could use bleach), and my research just about made me throw up my hands and give up. It basically seems like once one person gets it, everyone else might as well lock themselves in the bathroom and wait to get run over by the Mack truck! I really hope you're right. 

One of my 2017 resolutions is to truly appreciate how nice not vomiting is :lol:

OK, thanks everyone. I opted for the hot water/hot dryer option. I did add lots of vinegar to the load, just in case. Nothing actually got barfed on, thankfully, but I feel like there are creepy crawly bacteria all over everything, and I'm no germophobe :lol: This wasn't even that bad, as stomach bugs go--only one real night of true misery, then two days of nausea--but I'd still rather not deal with the fallout for three more people  :willy_nilly:

Really? The articles about GI bugs are just terrifying! I was also trying to figure out how to sanitize a wood coffee table today (I wasn't sure if I could use bleach), and my research just about made me throw up my hands and give up. It basically seems like once one person gets it, everyone else might as well lock themselves in the bathroom and wait to get run over by the Mack truck! I really hope you're right. 

One of my 2017 resolutions is to truly appreciate how nice not vomiting is :lol:

If you were dealing with norovirus or something, I would see some cause for concern, but even at that, the problem is surfaces that are difficult to sanitize and the fact that it can be spread as an aerosol (if I remember my basic infectious disease class stuff correctly) rather than washable bedding. Couch= problem. Bedding that can go in the wash does not. Make sense?

Think of it like washing your hands. If you wash your hands properly, soap and water do the trick. You don't need bleach or anything else. You just need time, ample water and soap, along with something clean to dry them on. The problem with viruses come with surfaces with crevices and things like that, handrails, door knobs. Add in one that can spread as an aerosol and it can find all of these little places to hide and hang on for a bit, waiting for a host. The sheets and blankets get completely immersed and soaped in the washer (unless you aren't using enough water or too low of a setting.) That is the only point I can imagine washing machine not being adequate- so use your biggest setting and don't crowd.

I would concentrate my efforts on the actual bathroom surfaces more than the bedding material in this case. Get rid of your toothbrushes, change out the soap dispenser, that sort of thing. Make great friends with lysol and a steam mop. But don't sweat the bedding. Wash it, but don't obsess over it. 

That's the two cents of a self professed former germaphobe who had to work in Infectious Disease for a few years. I still won't go on a cruise ship because of it. But I wouldn't hesitate as a house guest to not worry about bedding in this instance. :)

ETA- if you wore slippers or anything, throw them in with the bedding if they're washable. Shoes do a tremendous job of spreading viruses like you had. That's one of the reason when schools and things get hit with norovirus they have to bring in steamers to clean the floors and carpets- the particulates can be tracked. 

Edited by texasmom33

ETA- if you wore slippers or anything, throw them in with the bedding if they're washable. Shoes do a tremendous job of spreading viruses like you had. That's one of the reason when schools and things get hit with norovirus they have to bring in steamers to clean the floors and carpets- the particulates can be tracked. 

Eeeewwwwww. I think I need to go clean my bathroom again...

Well, I was just operating under the assumption that it WAS noro that I had. Frankly, there was...ah...more than barf, but I was trying to be somewhat delicate :lol: I guess maybe that changes things? Again, nothing was directly soiled, but I'm mentally envisioning creepy crawlies everywhere.

Funny, but this so did not concern me when we went on our cruise (I had so much angst about other stuff, this was way down the list). We did come home with massive colds, though, so I guess we'll consider ourselves lucky.

I sprayed the bathroom with so much bleach today that I had to go lay down for awhile afterward, and I did the same for the hard living room surfaces. But I purposely stayed on the couch only, didn't enter the kitchen, made the kids bring me new dishes/glasses instead of taking anything from me, etc. I was able to wash the blankets and the couch cushion covers (I love Ikea so much), and I'll wash my clothes and robe and stuff tomorrow. My hands are dry and cracking from all the hand washing *shudder*

Do you still think hot water and hot dryer are enough?

Eeeewwwwww. I think I need to go clean my bathroom again...

Well, I was just operating under the assumption that it WAS noro that I had. Frankly, there was...ah...more than barf, but I was trying to be somewhat delicate :lol: I guess maybe that changes things? Again, nothing was directly soiled, but I'm mentally envisioning creepy crawlies everywhere.

Funny, but this so did not concern me when we went on our cruise (I had so much angst about other stuff, this was way down the list). We did come home with massive colds, though, so I guess we'll consider ourselves lucky.

If you are the only one in your family who got it, I would be amazed if it was norovirus. There are so many possibilities, it's hard to say, but norovirus is just really virulent and hard to stop the spread of. It's like a wildfire. If I were a betting woman, I would put my money on a rotavirus before noro. It's all moot now anyway- but yeah. I'm glad you are feeling better and didn't have an entirely taken over house! 

Do you still think hot water and hot dryer are enough?

Absolutely. I think you're fine with that. Just don't crowd the washer. Better to do several small loads with a full water setting than one big one. You can always wash twice if you're worried. It's not going to hurt a thing, but like I said. I'm super paranoid on this stuff usually and I would be cool with a once over in the wash. I would pitch my tooth brush, replace the toilet paper even if there was some left on the roll, wash any bathroom mats or rugs, slippers, and wipe down everythign that will stand still for a couple of days, but I really think you will be fine. 

Like I said, viruses are amazing, but they aren't quite as hardy as you might think. Otherwise the world would be one never ending stomach virus! (Among other things). 

Absolutely. I think you're fine with that. Just don't crowd the washer. Better to do several small loads with a full water setting than one big one. You can always wash twice if you're worried. It's not going to hurt a thing, but like I said. I'm super paranoid on this stuff usually and I would be cool with a once over in the wash. I would pitch my tooth brush, replace the toilet paper even if there was some left on the roll, wash any bathroom mats or rugs, slippers, and wipe down everythign that will stand still for a couple of days, but I really think you will be fine. 

Like I said, viruses are amazing, but they aren't quite as hardy as you might think. Otherwise the world would be one never ending stomach virus! (Among other things). 

Ooh, you just reminded me that I forgot to grab the bath mats today. Eeeeewwwww!!!! Seriously, I can't spend too much time thinking about this or I'll go crazy. 

Thanks so much for your input. I do feel better about the cleanup. We'll just have to do our best and cross our fingers. Maybe this will make it easier to get the kids to unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher--I can just say everyone is safer if I don't touch them :D

Ha! If that works, let me know. I might be coming down with something........ :D

I thought of one other thing that might make you feel better- I know sometimes it's hard to shake the icky feeling- If your dryer has a steam setting, use it on the bedding. The temp of the steam will kill just about anything that I know of as far as viruses or bacteria. 

I just googled and found this for you too, to give you peace of mind. :) It's more succinct than the CDC's version. Gotta love google. Anyway, I think you're covered now. Don't tell the kids though. Maybe you can be quarantined from housework another few days. Contagion and all...... :p

Are you sure you had a stomach virus and not food poisoning?

No, but I'm operating on a worst-case-scenario cleanup basis here, just in case. Don't they pretty much present the same way (for the most part) anyway? And they're often transmissible via the same mode (again, eeewwwww!). So I just figured I'd treat it as the most contagious one possible just in case. 

I use shout color catchers when I wash a quilt for the first time. If there are a lot of dark reds or purples, I'll do it the second time as well. I put the regular amount of tide in the load as well. Transfer the color catcher sheets to the dryer, too.

Edited by TechWife

Whenever we have something infectious in our home, I just wash whatever needs it...bedding, clothes...in warm/hot water, regular detergent, and then throw it in a hot dryer. I might do an extra rinse if the load was particularly dirty. That's worked for us.

For other surfaces, I use bleach on what can handle it and clorox wipes on everything else. I pay special attention to the bathroom doorknobs, light switches, faucet handle, fridge handles, pantry doorknobs and TV remotes. Also, I wipe down phones and devices. That's been pretty effective in stopping the spread of nasty things. I am a fan of Clorox wipes  :001_smile: