Menu

The thread I almost started....... (Christmas content)

poppy

I was thinking presents, logistics and different family styles and I almost posted a poll: If you do Christmas, does your family open gifts one-by-one, or do you have a free for all?

I grew up one way, my husband the other, and we have a bit of push-pull about this.

I wrote two sentences of this poll then felt like a donkey. This is not a problem.  Not really a debate. Let's keep things in perspective.

To all of us with a pile of gifts to open tomorrow- may you have a wonderful morning of peace and joy.

To those without much to open-may you have a wonderful morning of peace and joy.

To those who don't do Christmas and have to know the whole world is shut down for someone else's holiday- may you have a wonderful morning of peace and joy.

Happy Christmas .

• Like 28

we've done this since the kids were small.  we basically start out with people opening one at at time - then we can ooh and ahh over other people's gifts.  the kids give thought to their siblings.  jokes are cracked, fun is had by all . . .

my brother was here with his kids one year . . .wow.  free for all central and they were out of here within 10/15 minutes.   they didn't give a rip about anyone else.

eta: one christmas (ok, couple days before) 2ds ended up i the ER.. . the dr shared a story of one of his christmases, before they got up, his son came into their bedroom showing off all the gifts from santa that he got. . . . it seems his son got up before everyone- opened *e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.* and tossed what he didn't want, then came upstairs to show off his haul.   from the mom's reaction - he probably never did that again.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas. :)

We do one at a time. I'm always the one passing out gifts. A job I wouldn't mind delegating but everyone seems to want me doing it.

My husband's family is slightly different. They pass out all the gifts but open them one at a time. So we do it that way over there and my way over here. :) 

One gift at a time just seems too formal and organized for my crew. ;) I don't even know how they open gifts; it's just a blur. When they were very young, they spent a lot of time eating wrapping paper, then things sped up and I got left behind.  :laugh:   I do recall them opening a gift and playing with it immediately, then eventually opening another gift, with LEGO bits strewn all about.

We open one at a time.   I grew up with the free-for-all. 

This.

But this year we actually remarked that it might have become too orderly. They are patient, they are reserved...it's weird.  There is something unnatural about children carefully finding the seams, slicing the tape, and taking the paper off in one sheet as the other child finds a gift to bring to someone else. :lol: They have been well trained by living in other countries to make a recycle pile, but we're at the point where it feels a little off when one gets an empty box and they carefully fold the paper to fit inside instead of flying all over.  This was the most polite Christmas I can ever remember.

It is much different than the ecstasy and excitement I remember as a child.

We do each kid can open a gift together, then we pause and see what everyone got vs full on every man for himself.

We do free for all at the in laws and it is a let down to me. You never get to see kids open the gifts you brought !

Free for all. Well, we dole out presents and stack them next to each person and then everyone starts opening at the same time. We ooh and aahh as we go along so it drags out a while. I could never do one at a time with all eyes on one person at a time. Way too much attention for a family of introverts.