Menu

Christmas gift...re-gifting ok?

Janeway

SO

Remember the college student I bought the Architect Legos for?

I have been rethinking it. I asked him if it would bother him to help my kids put together their Legos on Christmas and he said if they needed help, he would help them. It wasn't a "oh yes! I love doing that!" it was more of a "if they needed help..." kind of thing. 

And my husband is out of work right now. Last year, I gave my teen, who is a big guy, slippers that never got opened. He quickly grew and since then, I gave him a bigger size. I do not think college student saw that and even if he did, they are generic looking slippers from Penneys. 

I am thinking maybe I should wrap those slippers and then add a note that I am buying him a 1 semester subscription to WSJ like he mentioned that he really wanted. That would be $15.

Good idea? Or am I being a complete cheese?

I don't know if he didn't get excited because not the same type of Legos or because he'd rather build alone? Did you specifically bring up Architecture style legos or just say "legos"?

Are you sure the slippers are the right size for college guy? They didn't fit your teen who might be the equivalent of college guy's shoe size??

I don't think it's a big deal to gift the slippers but I'm not sure if that is something you would get him? Is it okay to just give him the thing he wants and call it good? The Legos were probably expensive and I could see it probably being more practical to return them and use some of the money back toward the subscription he wants. If you feel compelled to spend more than that, would the return of the Legos give you enough to add something else?

• Like 1

SO

Remember the college student I bought the Architect Legos for?

I have been rethinking it. I asked him if it would bother him to help my kids put together their Legos on Christmas and he said if they needed help, he would help them. It wasn't a "oh yes! I love doing that!" it was more of a "if they needed help..." kind of thing. 

And my husband is out of work right now. Last year, I gave my teen, who is a big guy, slippers that never got opened. He quickly grew and since then, I gave him a bigger size. I do not think college student saw that and even if he did, they are generic looking slippers from Penneys. 

I am thinking maybe I should wrap those slippers and then add a note that I am buying him a 1 semester subscription to WSJ like he mentioned that he really wanted. That would be $15.

Good idea? Or am I being a complete cheese?

My son loves putting his sets together alone.  If your kids are the same way, they won't want help.  He probably didn't want to get too excited about the idea of helping with legos because he knew he wouldn't be able to do much.  Most lego loving people want to put their sets together by themselves, so they get the enjoyment of doing the whole thing.

Will the slippers fit him?  I wouldn't give them to him if there is a chance they won't fit.  

If he said he wanted the WSJ, I would do that.  

ETA:  I'd stick with the legos. 

Edited by mom2samlibby
  • Like 1

I'd say you're feeling unsure about the Legos and are leaning toward the WSJ. If it would help your family to return the Lego set, I'd say do the regift!

Does this college boy have a family that will give him presents? If so, then I'd not stress over it another minute. Both of your gift options show thought and love. I'd say he'd be happy with whatever you give him, right? Then give him the gift that makes the most sense for your family right now (and if that's re-gifting, then do it).

• Like 1