Menu

If you make prime rib for the holidays...what sides do you like?

SparklyUnicorn

My mom always made Yorkshire pudding with it.  We loved it, but as an adult I have never made it.  So maybe I liked the tradition  as a kid, but the actual food not so much. 

I think I'm going to do this.  I never have at home (we did in culinary school). 

I'm just wondering if I can use a regular muffin pan for that.

I was thinking of twice-baked potatoes (thought the kiddos would like that), but I might do a garlic-herb creamed potatoes (probably something similar to PinkTulip's potatoes but not so much cheese) instead. Also might do some fresh Brussel sprouts or asparagus.

I can't even remember what I normally do, and I've cooked prime rib more than once over the years for Christmas.  :001_rolleyes:

And of course, some good rolls.

We make yorkshire pudding just in a big pan - not as muffins.

We usually have a caesar salad, yorkshire pudding, AND mashed potatos (yes, I know....), and green beans.

We are unlikely to deviate from that tradition.....

:-)

Anne

That's a good idea on the pan. 

I love mashed potatoes.  I eat low carb so a heavenly splurge to me is real mashed potatoes!! 

I was thinking of twice-baked potatoes (thought the kiddos would like that), but I might do a garlic-herb creamed potatoes (probably something similar to PinkTulip's potatoes but not so much cheese) instead. Also might do some fresh Brussel sprouts or asparagus.

I can't even remember what I normally do, and I've cooked prime rib more than once over the years for Christmas.  :001_rolleyes:

And of course, some good rolls.

Ooohhhh Brussel sprouts with bacon. Yum! 

I think I'm going to do this.  I never have at home (we did in culinary school). 

I'm just wondering if I can use a regular muffin pan for that.

Yes.  In fact, I believe the best Yorkshires are done individually.  This is for two reasons.  1) It gives them the right ratio of crispy bits and soggy bits.  2) The best way to eat Yorkshires is to pour gravy into the valley on top, so that the less-cooked, non-crispy parts inside soak up the gravy.  If you do them in one big pan, they simply don't have the right shape for the gravy soaking process.

As to sides, I would stick to the classics:

--Broccoli with cheese sauce; be sure the top is golden brown.

--Roasted potatoes.  None of the mashed with roast beef, please, that's for chicken or turkey.

--A nice brown gravy, obviously.

--A fruit-based dessert, such as apple-blackberry pie, ideally served with clotted cream, but lacking that ice cream will do.

If we had more people, I would supplement with more sides.  Brussels sprouts are popular though I can't stand them.  Glazed carrots are nice.  Some prefer cauliflower cheese instead of the broccoli version, perhaps with steamed broccoli as an additional option for those avoiding cheese.  Something with sweet potatoes would be nice - here a mash would be ok, or a mash of turnips or winter squash.  Acorn squash filled with apples and a cinnamon-flavored crumble topping (perhaps with walnuts) would be lovely.  A simple homemade applesauce is also nice (and can go in the slow cooker).    

• Like 1

Growing up we always had Yorkshire pudding (individual, and I know my mom preferred cast iron muffin pans enough that my aunt usually brought hers over too), and Hasselback potatoes. I have a recipe for that somewhere--I remember that you put the peeled potato on a large spoon and then thinly slice it with a sharp knife. Because the potato is on the spoon, you don't slice through it all the way. Then you put butter on them--not sure if there is more to the recipe than that. We probably also had green salad and some vegetable but those don't stand out in my memory.

• Like 1

Roasted asparagus, tossed with a little olive oil and sea salt.

And the horseradish sauce, of course: sour cream, horseradish and dill in your desired proportions. I can eat this stuff with a spoon.

I rarely see restaurants around here serve horseradish sauce and it's SO GOOD with prime rib! 

Roasted asparagus, tossed with a little olive oil and sea salt.

And the horseradish sauce, of course: sour cream, horseradish and dill in your desired proportions. I can eat this stuff with a spoon.

This. Or...last year my mom made prime rib, asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a gorgonzola sauce that was to die for. 

People! Recipes! Prime rib and Yorkshire pudding please.

Here is a good recipe and they have an article about their experimentation:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/the-best-yorkshire-pudding-popover-recipe.html

I much prefer to use all skim milk and no water. 

I use a slightly less eggy/fatty and more milky recipe. My proportion is 3.5 oz flour, 2 eggs, 1c milk, 2T fat (tends to be schmalz). I originally got that one from the Joy of Cooking. It works very well as well. The fat weighs down the center as the pudding rises, so the less fat you use, the less your pudding will cup -- if you use less than 2T for mine, it'll rise quite a bit more in the center. It's still delicious. 

If you decide to go with a big one, it's amazing in a cast iron skillet imo, but make VERY sure you get it smoking hot first. If your pan is cold, it just won't be as good. Thinner tins such as muffin tins don't really need as much preheating and usually I just get them hot enough to get the fat melted and it works beautifully. 

If you want to get fancy, a small amount of cooked bacon in the bottom of the pan is absolutely delicious. If doing muffin tins I'd do about a tablespoon of bacon per muffin. Use the bacon grease as part of the fat to make the pudding.