Menu

14 year old boy fashion/coats

Garga

My 14 year old needs new clothes.  I don't want him to look dorky.  I have a feeling he's wearing out of style fashions.  He and his dad came home from a thrift store the other day.  My 14 year old bought (approved by his dad) a Hawaiian shirt that looked like something my father-in-law would wear (he's in his 70's.)  They were so upset at me when I pointed out that it was something an old man would wear.  His jeans are wide leg and I don't think that's the style for teen boys right now.  

While we don't care entirely about fashion, I also don't want us to be having him wear little old man clothes.  I'd like him to fit in in social situations at church and not be the odd guy out. 

I have looked at boy fashion on pinterest.  I saw that the pants are straight leg or skinny.  They wear t-shirts with long-sleeve flannel shirts over top, and zip up hoodies.  And shoes:  converse style?

Does that sound right?  We're about to go out this week and get a bunch of stuff and I don't want to spend a lot of money just for him to look goofy around the other guys.

Also--coats.  What sort of coats do young men wear?  I bought him a somewhat puffy coat last year and he was embarrassed by it.  But I'm not sure what to get for him as a coat.  Not at all.  We live in PA and it gets down to the teens from time to time, but often stays in the 20s-40s range all winter.  So, not Siberia, but not Florida, either.  Some years we get only a dusting or two of snow and other years we get a few snowfalls of many inches.

Edited by Garga_

I recently got something like this for ds13, in black, except it wasn't reversible and it was way cheaper at the outlet store

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/men--39-s-ignitelite-reversible-hooded-jacket/38832287/_/A-ebSku_0883735182000070__38832287_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Outerwear&previousPage=SCAT&tab=men&color=309

Eta, I agree with pp th at the Columbia outlet is another good option

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

Yeah, I get it. Mine lives in athletic wear--sweat pants or running tights, running shirts and sneakers or Bean boots. He wears an insulated cycling jersey or a ski jacket for a winter coat--neither are particularly warm, but he's active if he's outside and needs to be able to move.

I think it's important for kids to have their own style/s, but yeah, the old man look probably doesn't do him any favors. Mine wouldn't be caught dead wearing a button up shirt, a flannel, jeans in any style and so on. He doesn't care a whit about what other people wear and feels fashion over comfort is dumb. Still, he did ask once or twice this summer if his outfit looked okay (neon green T, neon green running shorts, bright blue ski socks and purple sneakers...hmmm. Sure, dude) so I guess awareness is slowly happening. Can you take your guy shopping various places to see what he likes? H&M usually has stylish clothes for teens that aren't expensive. You could look online with him first, just to get a sense of where he might want to go.

How does he feel about it?

Good luck!

Fwiw: I think boys this age just tend to look kinda dorky no matter what they are wearing. They seem to like each other anyway. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it. Mine lives in athletic wear--sweat pants or running tights, running shirts and sneakers or Bean boots. He wears an insulated cycling jersey or a ski jacket for a winter coat--neither are particularly warm, but he's active if he's outside and needs to be able to move.

I think it's important for kids to have their own style/s, but yeah, the old man look probably doesn't do him any favors. Mine wouldn't be caught dead wearing a button up shirt, a flannel, jeans in any style and so on. He doesn't care a whit about what other people wear and feels fashion over comfort is dumb. Still, he did ask once or twice this summer if his outfit looked okay (neon green T, neon green running shorts, bright blue ski socks and purple sneakers...hmmm. Sure, dude) so I guess awareness is slowly happening. Can you take your guy shopping various places to see what he likes? H&M usually has stylish clothes for teens that aren't expensive. You could look online with him first, just to get a sense of where he might want to go.

How does he feel about it?

Good luck!

Fwiw: I think boys this age just tend to look kinda dorky no matter what they are wearing. They seem to like each other anyway. :)

This would work for my younger son (asking how he feels about it and what he likes.) He cares what he looks like to a degree.

My oldest doesn't care AT ALL. It's all on me. No matter what I point to and ask, "Do you like that?" he doesn't care. He tells me that the only (only) reason he wears clothes is because it's illegal to be naked. :)

It's good that he doesn't care, because I wouldn't want him to be shallow (not that caring about looking nice is shallow! I care about looking nice! I'm talking about being overly concerned with the external vs the internal), but I still don't want him to look completely outdated or wearing styles for old men. There's a balance.

If he had his own style, that'd be great. I'd be on board with it. But he is anti-clothes, so it's up to me to make sure he looks decent when he's out and about.

I'm not trying to shoot down your advice. Just responding and hoping that others chime in if they have clever ideas. Though, the idea to look at American Eagle stuff is a good idea.

Edited by Garga

To be honest, individuality is in.  My teen wears boot cut jeans, (no skinny pants), and slim shirts.  Outerwear is generally sleek (wool peacoat, hip length single color jacket or hoodie), and he either wears sneakers or almost a dress shoe.  He has no problem fitting in.  His friends all have their own style (I think one wears basketball shorts almost exclusively), but nobody cares about brands or what it is as long as the overall look isn't completely outlandish.

• Like 3

Well, if he doesn't care at all why not just dress him in clothes you like? It will either force him to care because he won't like them, or he will like your style and you'll get to take all the credit. ;)

I'm starting to realize that this is the way to go.  Just pick out what I like and dress him in it like a little doll.   :)  I never much played with dolls as a girl, but this could be fun.

I'm starting to look forward to our shopping trips coming up.  I really like comfy flannel shirts on men and a nice sweater, so I think he'll be getting a couple of those.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

The style here is athletic or other designed t-shirts (stripes, etc) paired with joggers. My boys are younger but they love the sweatshirt material joggers. I see other teens wearing non-sweatpant material joggers with plain colored t's. We do a lot of Nike, Under Armour. While they are pricier, they do hold up much better than cheap clothes. We rarely ever have issues with stains. 

As far as coats, that's a tough one. I don't see many kids wearing coats. Usually sweatshirts until its really cold. When they do, they are name brand (The North Face, etc.). When it comes to coats though, I would highly recommend getting one that he picks out and loves or it's simply not going to get worn and will be a waste of money. 

• Like 1

My son at that age went through a major 'fashion upheaval' lol

He does wear very tight jeans, but he is a dancer so he has the legs for it. He will even wear leggins on occasion. He generally wears tshirts, with them, even when it is FREEZING COLD AND HIS MOTHER IS TELLING HIM TO PUT ON A SWEATER FOR PETE'S SAKE!

ahem

Sometimes he will deign to put a long sleeved shirt, unbuttoned of course, over the tshirt and occasionally, if it is below zero, a pull over sweater. But he doesn't want a colourful sweater, he prefers greys and blacks. He does have a couple hoodies, but he mostly wears those at home, not out.

For shoes he likes Doc Martin boots, but he will also wear Vanns if boots aren't appropriate.

For coat, we live in upstate NY. Last night we got a huge snow storm. He wears a black navy pea coat that is double breasted and a knitted cap on his head. He walks to school every day and that seems to work for him. He found it at a second hand store for 20$. It is super heavy and is in perfect condition.  When it is a bit warmer out he wears a black london fog trench with a zip out liner. We have got a tremendous amount of wear out of that coat.

Mostly he likes to look, like someone else posted above, sleek and modern...and like to add his own touches, like a top hat, lol.  But, again, he's a dancer and that aesthetic shows in his 'civilian' clothes.  He's just used to spending time in clothes that are close fitting and he feels uncomfortable when there is 'too much fabric'....which is a real thing he said to me, lol.  

But he didn't care what he looked like until around 14. Before that, he would wear anything. Then, I just kept him clean and comfortable, loose jeans, tshirts and flannel shirts etc.

eta: I was listening to a business podcast (because I am a weirdo) and they were discussing the collapse of business in the teen clothing. All chains are suffering and having a hard time making money.  It seems that teenagers of today don't use clothing to create status like they have for generations. There is much less pressure to have the 'right ' brand of jeans etc. Teens express status etc through technology. So, for example, it's ok to dress like an old man if you have a phone and the 'right' apps. I see the android vs apple phone thing play out MUCH more among his peers than shoes or hair cuts.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

My son has no clue about what is the cool/right things to wear.

Since he was little clothes magically appear in his dresser drawers :)

North face coat/sweatshirts, my son lives in polo shirts (some American eagle, Abercrombie type) and t shirts. No matter how cold he wears short sleeves.

Edited by gingersmom

Two of mine will wear jeans, but they are the slim style, not the skinny. The other will only wear khakis and that is only if he's going to be outside for a long time and it's really cold. He left for school this morning in shorts and a hoodie and it was 31. (It will be 60 soon though.)

Hoodies and pullover fleece quarter zips are popular. Preppy is very popular, but we're in the south. I don't know many people that wear jeans and flannel, but jeans and a tshirt, with a button down over it is very common. The sleeves on button downs must be rolled up to the elbow. I don't think guys wear them open as much as in the recent past.

I'd have HIM look st some pinterests of teen boy/men's fashion and see if any style 'speaks' to him more than another. He might be more hipster or even lumberjack in what he finds appealing, or more into the athletic look. Some kids really love a good pair of jeans and character tee shirts, like the snarky and geeky kind ThinkGeek sells (my husband is almost 40 and that's still his default recreational style, when he isn't in work attire and tie).

Even if he doesn't care, if he can identify what he finds more or less appealing you'll have a better shot at helping pick things he is comfortable wearing. Make sense?

I have looked at boy fashion on pinterest.  I saw that the pants are straight leg or skinny.  They wear t-shirts with long-sleeve flannel shirts over top, and zip up hoodies.  And shoes:  converse style?

Does that sound right?  We're about to go out this week and get a bunch of stuff and I don't want to spend a lot of money just for him to look goofy around the other guys.

This is about what my non-fashionable sons wear--straight-leg, slim cut jeans--never skinny jeans which they think are an abomination--tshirt w/overshirt, hoodie, Converse. They've been able to find what they like at Macy's and Buckle, sometimes Kohls and JCP.

Can't help you with coats, though, as we live in GA and for the most part they can get away with thin athletic-style jackets all "winter".

My eldest teen boy is very concerned about fashion. He really wants a bomber jacket - this would likely be a good choice for your climate. His favourite brands are Topman, Calvin Klein, Tentree, and American Eagle. He wears skinny jeans with shoes that kind of look like this: http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca/en/Men/Shoes/Casual-Shoes/c/222/Nawiel/p/47979666-28 He doesn't like wearing jeans all the time so he also wears chinos - he just bought a jogger pair that has elastic at the ankles like these ones: http://www.quiksilver.com/fonic-chino-joggers-889351267320.html?camp=qspla&geopopup=false&gclid=Cj0KEQiA08rBBRDUn4qproqwzYMBEiQAqpznsxbF_sGIRCTZDbzls8rBezHm4F9SHM99UDK0ISqnOeUaAmbA8P8HAQ 

Here's a picture of the kind of bomber jacket ds would like: http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-bomber-jacket-with-ma1-pocket-in-khaki/prd/6302469?iid=6302469&clr=Khaki&cid=16245&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=722&gridsize=3&gridrow=3&gridcolumn=3 

He wears hoodies with his jeans or long sleeved t's. Or short sleeved t's. 

My 14 year old is less interested in what brands he wears, but definitely likes his clothes. He likes wearing plaid flannel shirts over t-shirts and he loves pullover hoodies. He also wears skinny jeans or chinos. He has a pair of Blundstone boots. A lot of kids wear Blundstone out here. Not sure if it's regional or more widespread. 

Edited by Sarah CB

Echoing others that slim leg or skinny jeans are in, wide leg is way out. My 17yo wore almost exclusively sweat pants or nylon athletic pants until he enrolled at private school at age 14. He still wears sweats for "around the house," but not for dressing presentably (usually. He wore sweats to the soccer banquet last week and one of the much more fashionable guys ribbed him about that.) His regular clothing is jeans, a character tee shirt, a hoody if it's cold and either black Vans or fancy LeBrons that I did NOT buy; he made a deal with a guy at school who "has shoe game." At the private school, shoes are wear guys display their status, as well as gadgets, as noted upthread.

When he's dressing up more, he'll wear khakis, a belt, and a button down. Even though it gets plenty cold in MD, teen boys don't wear proper coats that often. My DS was wearing a college hoodie today even though it is windy and freezing. If he'll be out in the snow, he wears a ski coat (Columbia).

Here in the wild west ;) I don't ever see teen boys in Chinos or other pants outside of church. Otherwise it's jeans. (Cargo pants are acceptable for camping and hiking type activities.)

I still see some boys in skinny jeans but my kids are more likely to wear boot cuts or slims.

Flannel shirts unbuttoned over graphic tees are common. Or hoodies.

Athletic shorts are popular in all weathers (yes it is cold and snowy here frequently... not relevant). I haven't seen many joggers.

Converse with almost everything for more hipster guys...athletic style shoes for others.

When I see coats it's mostly for Boy Scouts events and they tend to be ski wear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 14 year old needs new clothes. I don't want him to look dorky. I have a feeling he's wearing out of style fashions. He and his dad came home from a thrift store the other day. My 14 year old bought (approved by his dad) a Hawaiian shirt that looked like something my father-in-law would wear (he's in his 70's.) They were so upset at me when I pointed out that it was something an old man would wear. His jeans are wide leg and I don't think that's the style for teen boys right now.

While we don't care entirely about fashion, I also don't want us to be having him wear little old man clothes. I'd like him to fit in in social situations at church and not be the odd guy out.

I have looked at boy fashion on pinterest. I saw that the pants are straight leg or skinny. They wear t-shirts with long-sleeve flannel shirts over top, and zip up hoodies. And shoes: converse style?

Does that sound right? We're about to go out this week and get a bunch of stuff and I don't want to spend a lot of money just for him to look goofy around the other guys.

Also--coats. What sort of coats do young men wear? I bought him a somewhat puffy coat last year and he was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure what to get for him as a coat. Not at all. We live in PA and it gets down to the teens from time to time, but often stays in the 20s-40s range all winter. So, not Siberia, but not Florida, either. Some years we get only a dusting or two of snow and other years we get a few snowfalls of many inches.

The trend in boys clothes over here for winter was pants that are kind of wide almost baggy at the top and then slim fitting at the bottom with a surf style t shirt and the hair cut that is shaved all over except a really long section at the top.

I'm starting to realize that this is the way to go. Just pick out what I like and dress him in it like a little doll. :) I never much played with dolls as a girl, but this could be fun.

I'm starting to look forward to our shopping trips coming up. I really like comfy flannel shirts on men and a nice sweater, so I think he'll be getting a couple of those. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you are going for flannel shirts the flannel shirt with a tshirt style hood is around here and updates the look a bit. My son pretty much lives in flannel or check shirts because he wants to look like a farm kid. I've bought trendy clothes that he won't wear because he doesn't want to look like "all those dumb city kids"

Gotta say homeschool kids definitely make their own identity.

• Like 1

My son at that age went through a major 'fashion upheaval' lol

He does wear very tight jeans, but he is a dancer so he has the legs for it. He will even wear leggins on occasion. He generally wears tshirts, with them, even when it is FREEZING COLD AND HIS MOTHER IS TELLING HIM TO PUT ON A SWEATER FOR PETE'S SAKE!

ahem

Sometimes he will deign to put a long sleeved shirt, unbuttoned of course, over the tshirt and occasionally, if it is below zero, a pull over sweater. But he doesn't want a colourful sweater, he prefers greys and blacks. He does have a couple hoodies, but he mostly wears those at home, not out.

For shoes he likes Doc Martin boots, but he will also wear Vanns if boots aren't appropriate.

For coat, we live in upstate NY. Last night we got a huge snow storm. He wears a black navy pea coat that is double breasted and a knitted cap on his head. He walks to school every day and that seems to work for him. He found it at a second hand store for 20$. It is super heavy and is in perfect condition. When it is a bit warmer out he wears a black london fog trench with a zip out liner. We have got a tremendous amount of wear out of that coat.

Mostly he likes to look, like someone else posted above, sleek and modern...and like to add his own touches, like a top hat, lol. But, again, he's a dancer and that aesthetic shows in his 'civilian' clothes. He's just used to spending time in clothes that are close fitting and he feels uncomfortable when there is 'too much fabric'....which is a real thing he said to me, lol.

But he didn't care what he looked like until around 14. Before that, he would wear anything. Then, I just kept him clean and comfortable, loose jeans, tshirts and flannel shirts etc.

eta: I was listening to a business podcast (because I am a weirdo) and they were discussing the collapse of business in the teen clothing. All chains are suffering and having a hard time making money. It seems that teenagers of today don't use clothing to create status like they have for generations. There is much less pressure to have the 'right ' brand of jeans etc. Teens express status etc through technology. So, for example, it's ok to dress like an old man if you have a phone and the 'right' apps. I see the android vs apple phone thing play out MUCH more among his peers than shoes or hair cuts.

Fascinating. I wonder if they'll look back at our generation and think we were so shallow always fussing about clothes.

I wonder if it's also because clothes have become comparatively cheap so they are less of a status symbol? I know they don't always feel cheap as a parent trying to keep kids dressed but you know the same jumper that cost $59 when I was a kid probably costs $59 now.

Fascinating. I wonder if they'll look back at our generation and think we were so shallow always fussing about clothes.

I wonder if it's also because clothes have become comparatively cheap so they are less of a status symbol? I know they don't always feel cheap as a parent trying to keep kids dressed but you know the same jumper that cost $59 when I was a kid probably costs $59 now.

I have literally had a bunch of teen collapse into laughter when I have told them about crying because I couldn't afford the right brand of jeans.  They thought that was very silly.  However, it was about 8 years ago when my niece was in tears when she was told she wasn't getting Uggs for Christmas. So, not so long ago, right?

And I reminded my son that he is a teensy bit embarrassed that he doesn't have the newest phone :svengo: