Menu

Help with babysat child

ReadingMama1214

I babysit a 17 month old girl one day a week. Her mom is a younger single mom in our church and lives with her parents who I know pretty well. The baby is probably on the larger side size wise, but looks proportionate. Chunky, but proportionate. However her mom often sends somewhat junky food. Nothing too bad, just chef boyarde and similar lunch items. However, the last few times she's come her mom has mentioned that she has snack bars in her bag for snack time. I looked and she had two adult sized cliff bars. I passed on giving them to her and gave her fruit for snack like I do my kids. Today her mom once again mentioned that she had her cliff bars in her bag for snack. The vitamin, protein, and calorie content seem way too high for a toddler and I'm not planning to give her them. I've looked into it and Cliff company has actually told parents that they're not appropriate for toddlers and babies.

would you breach the topic with the mom or just not give the child the snack while in your care? I usually try not to butt into friends parenting, but this seems unhealthy if the child consumes them regularly.

It does seem inappropriate but I also would be hesitant to say anything. Are you watching the baby for free? If not why don't you suggest to just feed her whatever you are feeding you own children? That will simplify meal prep for you and keep your kids from begging for whatever she has brought for the day.

• Like 1

I think it's important to kindly say something. It sounds like she's trying to choose something healthful and needs guidance.

"I noticed that the Cliff bars only list adult nutrition information so I dug around on their website and found that they don't recommend their product for kids. My kids really liked xyz at that age and those are easy to keep in the diaper bag."

Just my two cents!

• Like 5

It does seem inappropriate but I also would be hesitant to say anything. Are you watching the baby for free? If not why don't you suggest to just feed her whatever you are feeding you own children? That will simplify meal prep for you and keep your kids from begging for whatever she has brought for the day.

I'm not. I'm watching her for a pretty reduced rate compared to what I normally charge.

I've offered to feed her meals. Her mom used to pack lunches and breakfast, but then I offered to provide these since it's easier on me. She just started sending her with the cliff bars . So maybe I'll offer that

But I'm still hesitant about not saying anything. My husband works in the medical field and was telling me about the dangers of overdose from vitamins and iron. So even if I don't give her cliff bars here, she may be having them at home

• Like 1

But I'm still hesitant about not saying anything. My husband works in the medical field and was telling me about the dangers of overdose from vitamins and iron. So even if I don't give her cliff bars here, she may be having them at home

After explaining why *you* chose not to feed the child Clif bars ["I've read that they are not recommended for children and I have an alternate snack which I prefer to serve"], it is up to her what to feed the child at home.

I highly doubt that the child will have serious problems from anything the Clif bar has in excess.

• Like 1

I'd tell her in an informal, "I just learned this thing and I wanted to share since you're doing the thing and I'm definitely not trying to tell you what to do or not do and this is awkward for me" kind of way. Which works for me, as silly as it sounds, but I usually reserve for things that could cause actual harm. Like this situation.

I think it can be an awkward thing dealing with moms who are much younger than you because you toe the line of having them think that you think they're stupid because they're young.

And like others have said, I'd just provide the snack.

• Like 1

Instead of "telling" someone something, I often find its better to ask a question that plants a seed ...

"How much of the cliff bar do you give [toddler] for a snack?  I know the package says a serving size for an adult is one bar, but I'm unsure how much to give to a toddler.  

• Like 6

Well, confession time,  I feed my little ones clif bars.  My only real concern with them is that they are higher sugar than I would like.  They fill a definite niche in our lives: shelf-stable, no-prep, calorie dense, high protein.  I kind of over-reacted to this thread and went on a quest researching nutrition bars.  Everyone disagrees on which ones are healthiest.  Do I think I picked the best choice?  No. I will continue my research, and pick something better.  Do I think they are horrible trash?  No, I think the are healthy enough.  

As far as your 17 month old charge.  I am baffled that a 17 month old could eat a whole clif bar, let alone two.  They are very filling.  I think the idea of previous posters of telling mom you would prefer to just feed the same snack to everyone is the best option.  I wouldn't worry so  much about what she does at home though.  

I'm not. I'm watching her for a pretty reduced rate compared to what I normally charge.

I've offered to feed her meals. Her mom used to pack lunches and breakfast, but then I offered to provide these since it's easier on me. She just started sending her with the cliff bars . So maybe I'll offer that

Maybe say your DH noticed them and said something out of concern?

• Like 2

I just looked up the nutrition information for a clue bar; honestly it doesn't look horrible. The vitamin and iron amounts are lower than in many breakfast cereals, which many people feed to toddlers without thinking.

Ideal? Probably not. But not worth making a mom feel ashamed or worried over. I'd let my toddler eat one if someone offered it to her.

• Like 2

Well, confession time, I feed my little ones clif bars. My only real concern with them is that they are higher sugar than I would like. They fill a definite niche in our lives: shelf-stable, no-prep, calorie dense, high protein. I kind of over-reacted to this thread and went on a quest researching nutrition bars. Everyone disagrees on which ones are healthiest. Do I think I picked the best choice? No. I will continue my research, and pick something better. Do I think they are horrible trash? No, I think the are healthy enough.

As far as your 17 month old charge. I am baffled that a 17 month old could eat a whole clif bar, let alone two. They are very filling. I think the idea of previous posters of telling mom you would prefer to just feed the same snack to everyone is the best option. I wouldn't worry so much about what she does at home though.

You have your reasons to feed them your kids, please don't let your feelings get hurt over random strangers on the internet. I sure wouldn't want anyone going through my pantry and deciding what is and what isn't ok for my kids.

OP, you may want to find out if she is actually having the child eat two a day. It could be that she keeps two bars in the bag at all times because it is easy to carry around and the child only eats half. I think your heart is in the right place and whether or not to speak up depends on your relationship.

Well, confession time, I feed my little ones clif bars. My only real concern with them is that they are higher sugar than I would like. They fill a definite niche in our lives: shelf-stable, no-prep, calorie dense, high protein. I kind of over-reacted to this thread and went on a quest researching nutrition bars. Everyone disagrees on which ones are healthiest. Do I think I picked the best choice? No. I will continue my research, and pick something better. Do I think they are horrible trash? No, I think the are healthy enough.

As far as your 17 month old charge. I am baffled that a 17 month old could eat a whole clif bar, let alone two. They are very filling. I think the idea of previous posters of telling mom you would prefer to just feed the same snack to everyone is the best option. I wouldn't worry so much about what she does at home though.

You'd be amazed how much this 17 month old eats. It is insane sometimes. She's one I have to watch for. If there's a crumb or anything on the floor she will eat it. Bottomless pit!

I plan to just tell her not to worry about packing snacks. I didn't see her mom today since her grandfather picked her up and dropped her off.

You could always look for another snack that seems to fall under the same category -- quick, easy, healthy, same price-range -- but was smaller and more appropriate for a toddler.  I'd give one to the toddler to make sure she likes it.  Then when the mother stopped by to pick up toddler, you can say something like, "Oh, I happened to have these on hand and your daughter seemed to love them!  Here, you might as well take the rest."  You can also hint that, "They're even specially made for toddlers!" or something along those lines.  The mother might decide to get them herself after that.

Maybe say your DH noticed them and said something out of concern?

Yeah, I'd probably put this on my dh LOL. That way it came from someone in the medical field.

Honestly, I once thought of Cliff bars as healthy, until I read into the rice syrup. So, she probably really does think she's sending her child with a good option.

Oh, also, maybe the mom doesn't know what you are feeding her toddler so maybe she's going home with similar awkward questions. "I don't know what that babysitter is giving my kid. I even supplied our own food. Why does she insist on not using it?"

I supply meals while she's here which includes breakfast and lunch. I sometimes mention what it was and other times forget. She hasn't asked though. I plan to tell her I can do snack as well. The baby usually wants what my kids have anyways.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd probably put this on my dh LOL. That way it came from someone in the medical field.

Honestly, I once thought of Cliff bars as healthy, until I read into the rice syrup. So, she probably really does think she's sending her child with a good option.

I honestly believe she is considering it a healthy snack. I may mention the kids version. I've mentioned other snacks we've had that her daughter loves.

Unfortunately my husband is at work when she gets picked up and dropped off. It's also been her grandfather doing it lately so I haven't had time to see the mom or talk to her.

• Like 1