Menu

Care packages?

TammyS

So, anyone sending care packages?  Any ideas for things that are well received?  Especially for guys?

I looked at some things online.  Pretty much everyone sends food, and I want to, too.  But I'm looking for good protein options (my son says the food at school is really good, but not enough...I should have foreseen that, he has an enormous  base calorie need), rather than lots of junk.  I mean, yeah, I'm sending a few treats, but I definitely don't want to encourage him to eat a boat load of candy.

Does anyone else do care packages?  How often?  I saw somewhere a woman who sent them every Wed so her kids would get them on Fri!  I was like, :huh: .  It's almost November and I'm putting together my first! :laugh:

Dc has appreciated the health-related items I've sent (vitamins, decongestant, etc.), as well as individually-wrapped snacks.  I buy in bulk at Costco.  For protein I send Kirkman single-serving packages of nuts (cashews, almonds, peanuts) and also Kirkman nut bars, which are similar to Caveman bars, but crunchier (and cheaper).  Lara bars are good, too.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

I sent nuts, dried fruit, good chocolate, tea, instant steel cut oat meal.

Halloween sprinkles, candy and halloween paper napkins for Halloween.

Easter socks and chocolate bunny and some candy eggs for Easter.

Advent calendar and gingerbread for December.

Cough drops, tissues and decongestant when she had a cold.

I sent a few packages per quarter, but still was too much; much of it was left over at the end of the school year.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I try to send one each month. I send candy, cookies and something like ritz chips or pretzel chips (his favorite treats, basically). I look for a small distraction item to tuck in - one time it was a tin of Thinking Putty, another time a small LEGO set, then a small erector set from the Dollar Spot at Target. I currently have a string of LED lights ready to go in his next package. 

• Like 1

Usually I send something needed and stick something homemade in, and chocolate for the next holiday. Last week I mailed one lad's absentee ballot and tossed in a baked good and halloween candy.

We just sent one this past week to our youngest and he called the same day he received it seemingly quite pleased with it.

We do mostly send food and make sure there's enough he can share with friends.  We also put in treats we know he either can't or won't get while there.

This last one included T-shirts too, but otherwise, a lb bag of shelled walnuts, two dried beef jars (we like it better than the plastic containers), a large bag of Andee's mints, a large bag of Voortman's vanilla wafers, chocolate chip pancakes in the form of a $25 IHOP gift card, and various "essentials" in the form of a $25 Walmart gift card.  Both places are nearby campus, of course.  I'm sure my mind is forgetting some things too, but that's the gist of what we put in.  When he called he was actually most thankful for the Vootman's vanilla wafers as he and some friends had just eagerly consumed them.  Note... this is my "healthy eating" lad.  Even kids like that love a nostalgic treat from their youth.  (We didn't eat them at all at home, but on trips they were something he would often pick out when we stopped for a stretch break.)

I look for things like that - things he likes at home regularly, but won't get there (like walnuts and Andee's) and things that might bring back nostalgia from his youth.  We vary things so nothing is really "expected" when he gets a box.  We also only send one or two per semester.  To all of us, that makes them more special than knowing when one is going to receive something "regularly" and knowing what will be in it.

What middle son gets is similar overall, but differs in actual items due to what he likes.  Spam is often sent in his - along with local potato chips as he can't get that variety (Herrs) there.

• Like 1

I just sent one to ds. It had three bags of halloween candy so his floormates can "trick or treat" at his dorm room. Also contained five little Halloween decorative items including a tombstone, orange, grey, and black battery operated candle for his desk, a pair of gloves because he has a long walk to class and when the wind is high, his hands have been cold but he was too stubborn to pay the high price for gloves with a WMU logo available on campus - don't blame him - his favorite crackers, a twenty dollar bill, dried apples, and cough drops.

The next one which is only a week, week and half away, will have this train ticket to get home for Thanksgiving, dried cranberries and apples, peanuts, pretzels, and cookies for the train ride, and a framed picture of Lewis the dumb cocker spaniel dog that keeps things riled up here but is his special, little buddy whom he misses.

I will send one for finals which will have a lot of protein snacks plus granola, some goofy things for he and his roommate to blow off steam - all for finals week - so I am thinking silly string and such which they can use outside to burn off some energy - and his train ticket home for Christmas. Possibly some of those hand warmer packets that you crack and they heat. He has a long walk from his dorms to some of his classes. I'll send it so it arrives the Friday before Finals week so he has it while he studies over the weekend.

• Like 2

Since Faith brought it up, I definitely recommend sending one to arrive before finals.  Kids always seem to appreciate them then.  We tend to go close to major holidays (but not necessarily specifically for them) - and finals.  Once in a while we'll toss in one "just because" that is a total surprise for them.

This last time we also chose a box that is fairly narrow and upright.  He had to open it from the top and work his way down - very similar to a stocking at Christmas time, but roughly twice the size.  Sometimes that's part of the fun too.

Once for middle son I had come across an old unused "Tigger" birthday party invitation.  Why I kept it beyond his preschool age party is beyond me, but my mind decided to toss it in with something to the effect of "Tigger had all but given up on seeing the light of day or the internal workings of the USPS and was resigned to living in our drawer for eternity.  I felt sorry for him.  I'm sure you can help him have a good time."  (Definitely not the exact wording as this was years ago, but the gist is similar.)  You know what?  He's kept that invitation and has it displayed among his "special things" in his room.  

One can't get too creative IMO.  You just never know what will resonate.  It could be a long forgotten favorite tasty treat like the Voortman wafers or it could be something like Tigger.

• Like 1

I send them monthly to both girls (and sometimes to other random "adopted students" I've picked up.)

I find themes on Pinterest. This year, I'm doing one that's "Going nuts missing you" which is all peanut stuff. Lots of protein there.

For finals, I'm doing "Hulk smash finals" and I found nesting boxes at the Container Store (they have surprisingly cheap boxes if you have one nearby) so I'm putting a different superhero on each one.

The $1 aisle at the front of Target, Party City, and dollar stores always have good prizes. I like to send bouncy balls, parachute men (there's always a building on campus with a big atrium), things to throw in the dorm, sidewalk chalk, silly string, window clings, door decorations, etc. along with snacks. I send a combination of individually packaged stuff and bags/boxes of items that can be shared during study groups.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a lazy, lazy mom and was thus delighted to discover that the housing department at dd's school does care packages as a fundraiser.

It seemed a little pricey at first, and then I thought about paying postage each time, and the unlikelihood of me actually gathering stuff and mailing it off. 

You get a stack of cards to fill out with good wishes, matched to each care package. They do welcome to college, Halloween, midterms, and so on. 

• Like 1

Ds loved being the recipient of this idea from here on the forums: I mailed a foil pan of brownies right in the pan.  Just wrapped the pan in plastic wrap with a plastic knife and mailed it in a USPS flat rate box!  (Although your own box, for the weight, would be cheaper and just as fast)  This was big hit with his friends.

I also load him up with high protein drinks/snacks for exam weeks.

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I do a care package almost every month.  I usually do a really dorky theme - like 'A box of sunshine!'  Everything in the box has to be yellow - yellow nail polish, a yellow glow stick, yellow balloons, a pair of socks or pj shorts that are mostly yellow, and/or snacks with yellow packaging.  I admit it's tricky and some items probably get a weird reaction, but it adds a fun element to it.  Pinterest has been very helpful in giving me ideas when I'm stumped.

• Like 2