Menu

Pre-planned and paid care packages

Ginevra

I had no idea this was a thing. The school DD will attend sent an order form mailing where you can pre-order care packages to be sent to your student at given intervals all year. Kind of like a Fruit-of-the-month club. I find this a little odd. I am excited by the potential of sending Care packages that will be individualized just for her. This would not be like that. This would be like that attorney I used to work for, who called a personal shopper in November, gave them sizes, and had them buy and wrap all his Christmas gifts.

Or not. Maybe some parents who feel they are not very creative, or punctual, or bad at figuring out shipping would want this. Have you heard of it? Would you use this service?

We got a flyer for that last year, too - when ds was entering his freshman year. I had NO idea that was a "thing". I think it's a fundraiser for the school, or they get a kickback, maybe? At any rate, it seemed pretty impersonal, but I guess it would appeal to busy parents who want to check, 'Send care package' off their list?

• Like 1

We don't use the service, but I do get a chuckle (and a snarky Facebook post) out of their "healthy" snacks. (Not that our care packages are healthy, but at least we don't pretend!)

Yes, I had a chuckle over that, too!

We threw that flyer right into the recycle bin.

I don't mind admitting I've never sent DS a care package.  I don't know what I'd put in it.  He doesn't eat sweets, and he has a credit card (provided by us) to buy whatever he needs.  He has a car (provided by us) to go get whatever he needs, whenever he needs it.  Are y'all detecting a theme here?  :lol:  I can't imagine how it would benefit him for me to mail him a package containing nuts or granola bars or socks or anything else he can easily go buy for himself. I guess care packages just aren't our love language. ;)

• Like 8

We threw that flyer right into the recycle bin.

I don't mind admitting I've never sent DS a care package. I don't know what I'd put in it. He doesn't eat sweets, and he has a credit card (provided by us) to buy whatever he needs. He has a car (provided by us) to go get whatever he needs, whenever he needs it. Are y'all detecting a theme here? :lol: I can't imagine how it would benefit him for me to mail him a package containing nuts or granola bars or socks or anything else he can easily go buy for himself. I guess care packages just aren't our love language. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I do think it will really please DD to get a package. She is my buddy. I think she will really like getting some fuzzy socks in the winter, or some Bed,Bath & Beyond shower gel, or some Divine Chocolate bars. Or a Game of Thrones paperback. It's not that she can't just go buy them herself; it's that she will be pleased to know I was thinking of her.

Now...when DS goes off, it could be a whole different story. He is very frugal and I don't think he'll be wanting me to send him fuzzy socks. ;) although you never know, because sometimes the most stoical men are the most inwardly touched when they see you thought of them...

• Like 1

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I do think it will really please DD to get a package. She is my buddy. I think she will really like getting some fuzzy socks in the winter, or some Bed,Bath & Beyond shower gel, or some Divine Chocolate bars. Or a Game of Thrones paperback. It's not that she can't just go buy them herself; it's that she will be pleased to know I was thinking of her.

Now...when DS goes off, it could be a whole different story. He is very frugal and I don't think he'll be wanting me to send him fuzzy socks. ;) although you never know, because sometimes the most stoical men are the most inwardly touched when they see you thought of them...

I think kids like getting the package. My ds looked forward to occasional packages. I also sent letters regularly so going to campus post was part of his routine. I couldn't do the generic packages because my kids need gluten free food. But the generic a kale doesn't seem like it would feel special.

I do a mix. Fun thing toy or game or something practical from dollar spot at Target or 5 Below and a packaged gluten free snack and some cookies I made.

Your stoic ds might not like fuzzy socks, but he might like new smart wool socks you got on sale and saved to send to him. If he's really frugal, a few snacks might bridge the calorie deficit when organic chemistry lab runs past cafeteria hours.

• Like 1

I asked both oldest and middle sons about these because I didn't want to feel guilty being the only parent who didn't sign up.  The advertisements make it seem that way...

VERY few kids get those packages and those who do often laugh at them along with the rest of the dorm.

Kids LOVE (most) personal care packages.

We don't send many, but we try to make those we send personal and worthwhile.  They don't get laughed at.  They get shared with hall mates & friends.  ;)

We tend to send things my guys love (or need) and can't get around there, but we opt for cute at times too.  Once middle son said he needed deodorant, but hadn't had time to go buy some.  We sent him seven  :coolgleamA: (and a bunch of other stuff).  He still laughs about that.  We live in the land where potato chips are made (good ones).  Our personal favorite is Herrs, esp their sour cream and onion.  Those HAVE to be in any care package for middle son.  He and his hall mates totally expect it.  Oldest liked dried beef in the jar - Hormel or Knauss.  He still does.  They supposedly can't get it where he lives.  Youngest got a hammock he still uses.  Ours get filled with things like that.

• Like 3

Yes, they were very popular at the first college I went to, which was a private liberal arts college.  They were a scholarship fundraiser.

I never heard a word about them at state college I transferred to after that. Maybe they do them now, but the culture was very different there (tech school).

I got only one during the entire time that I was in college.  My mother battled mental illness, and it was so odd that I remember hiding it in my closet until I could get rid of the contents!

We tend to send things my guys love (or need) and can't get around there, but we opt for cute at times too. Once middle son said he needed deodorant, but hadn't had time to go buy some. We sent him seven :coolgleamA: (and a bunch of other stuff). He still laughs about that. We live in the land where potato chips are made (good ones). Our personal favorite is Herrs, esp their sour cream and onion. Those HAVE to be in any care package for middle son. He and his hall mates totally expect it. Oldest liked dried beef in the jar - Hormel or Knauss. He still does. They supposedly can't get it where he lives. Youngest got a hammock he still uses. Ours get filled with things like that.

Yes, yes you do.

I live in the land where the world's best cookies are made, although, as Dd will still be in Maryland, she can still probably get the Baltimore cookies.

• Like 1

Bwa-ha-ha.  Well, that's the only way my kids would probably ever get a care package from me.  Gifts are not my love language; they are a source of stress, both giving and receiving.  I also hate to mail things. If I buy things to send they frequently sit around for months, then maybe they get in a box, then maaaybe they get sent.  Or not.  My mom only sent me one care package ever, and that's when I had mono and really needed some things.  Never missed them...

For Christmas and birthdays, I just ask what people want and buy that.  Or go shopping with them and let them pick something out.

But that also means I wouldn't bother with a service like this, unless for some reason my kids begged me (but I'd probably just tell them to go to the store and buy that stuff themselves... it's all 'stuff', right?)

i am probably a horrible person...

• Like 3

These really drive me nuts.  Partly because they are advertised as healthy snacks (and they aren't), but mainly because they use the guilt tactic:  "Imagine your student not receiving our wonderful boxes when all of his dormmates are.  How will he feel?" 

The second part makes me mad enough that I wouldn't order them even if they were healthy!

It's kind of disappointing that schools stoop to these.  I think they could do it in a better way that I'd feel comfortable about and even support, but not this way.

I prefer to send my own.

• Like 3

DS's school doesn't have standard mail service and students must rent a PO BOX  in the city.  I asked DS if he wanted a PO Box thinking that he would say no.  His response was "Yes, where else will I get the packages you send me?"

This is my easy-going, minimalist with few wants or needs so I guess I will have to learn to create and send creative care packages.

• Like 7

I ended up having a friendship with the mail clerk during college because my mom sent me so many packages (yes, I went to a small school).

I am friends with my current postal carrier because my mom still sends me so many packages, and I'm quickly approaching 35. Usually the items she puts in cost her less than the postage because her hobby is garage sales and she sends my daughters dresses she bought for a quarter or puzzles in plastic bags. 

:-)

Emily

• Like 2

My daughter's state university parents' association also sends these. I take it is a fundraiser. We don't do them. My daughter doesn't seem to miss them and none of her suite mates get any either. My care packages are in the form of unexpected things I know she likes when she comes home. She only lives 90 minutes from home so we see her at all breaks and some weekends here and there. I might do differently if she were far away.

• Like 1

Or not. Maybe some parents who feel they are not very creative, or punctual, or bad at figuring out shipping would want this. Have you heard of it? Would you use this service?

I open the flyers every year because I am fascinated by the thought that there are actually parents out there who would pay the outlandish prices for single packs of what is basically vending machine food just because it's finals week.

No, I would never use the one offered at my kid's school.

• Like 1

I keep the emails because I figure if I need something fast that's the way to do it, but I never have used one.

I like sending things at random times, that are thoughtful and personal and a bit seasonal.

DD loves tea so I send her unusual ones, for instance.  It's a treat for her.  She's very frugal with her grocery and spending money, so it's the kind of thing she wouldn't buy for herself.

I'm very aware that permanent items need to be moved, stored, etc. so I keep those to a minimum, but last year I sent seasonal napkins or handtowels or dishtowels, and let her know that we had matching ones that we were using at home.  In the spring I sent homemade soap, ditto--in spring colors.

• Like 1

My son's post office is not in his dorm. Do most dorms have their own? Otherwise, I have no idea how other kids would even know who gets non-personalized packages( and then laughs at them? How crappy) or gifts from home.

But yeah, the guilt part is silly. How many college kids boast that they got gummy bears or Oreos, such unique treats that are not to be found on a college campus???

No, I don't think so. My son's uni has a post office that receives USPS packages and then there are two "package desks" - one on each side of campus - that receive UPS, FedEx and DSL packages. The student phone number has to be on those packages and they text the student when they receive a package. 

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that other students even know which kids get packages unless they see them sitting around in a dorm room after the fact. I don't think kids really care, unless they are on the lookout for their roommate's homemade cookies! 

My son's post office is not in his dorm. Do most dorms have their own? Otherwise, I have no idea how other kids would even know who gets non-personalized packages( and then laughs at them? How crappy) or gifts from home.

But yeah, the guilt part is silly. How many college kids boast that they got gummy bears or Oreos, such unique treats that are not to be found on a college campus???

The post office is in a separate building for all three of my guys.

But by close living in dorm rooms, I gather they all tend to know who gets what when.  I never got the impression that it was a crappy laugh when my two mentioned it - more of a fun laugh - in the same way his friends laughed at middle son getting his seven deoderants that one time.   :lol:   Tasty gifts from home tend to be shared and are definitely loved.  There's a boardie who sometimes brings youngest son tasty home made goodies.  He loves that!  (As do his friends.)  If I were a better mom, I'd make things and send him/them too... Of course, if I actually did that my guys might have a heart attack or panic attack wondering what was wrong with me.

There probably is a way for students to keep any package they get private if they choose to, but my guys are too into (fun) dorm living for that - and always have been from oldest's freshman year.  Maybe it's just guys, but they seem to love to share their lives together - esp food.

• Like 2

There is a church youth group near the Naval Academy that does monthly deliveries of chocolate chip cookies. It's their annual fundraiser.

I loved getting those cookies. Even though they came every month I was always surprised by their arrival early Sunday morning. The deliveries were handled by the duty section not the mail.

My parents did send packages but the cookies were still really nice. And totally fresh. And not at all healthy. ;)

• Like 2