Potato-Leek Soup

4 med. russet potatoes, scrubbed

3 tbs butter

3 med. leeks, chopped (about 3 cups)

4 cups chicken broth

2 cups water

Salt and white pepper to taste

1 cup milk

Chopped fresh chives for garnish (Optional. Dried works fine, too.)

1) Peel and dice potatoes into 1-inch chunks

2) In a heavy 3-qt saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add leaks; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and salt.

Simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Cool slightly.

3) In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, process potato mixture until smooth.  Return potato mixture to saucepan.  

4) Add milk and pepper.  Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.

5) Ladle soup into serving bowls.  Garnish with chives.  Serve immediately.

Serves 8

• Like 1

My recipe is just tossed together.

~1 pound of bacon chopped into 1/4 inch or less pieces

~1 large yellow diced

Saute together till the bacon is crispy and onion golden. Drain the bacon fat.

~1 plate full/double stacked of potatoes (5lbs maybe?)  Russet, golden, or reds are all good, just give different flavors.  Chop into 1"x1"x1/2 size chunks or smaller (nothing bigger).  Use only enough water to cover potatoes, not lots of excess. I like to use the starchy potato water for the soup, so pouring off excess water just means I am throwing away part of the starch.

Boil potatoes until barely fork tender and if you twist the fork they break apart but don't crumble. Salt the water to season potatoes while boiling. I leave just enough water in the pot to skim the top of the potatoes.

~Add two cans of regular canned evaporated milk -(one will do but two is better to me) . If I need to use regular milk I take out some water first.  You can also use plain half-and-half or unsweetened whipping cream. 

Toss in the satued bacon and onion.

~Salt and pepper to taste. I usually have to season a couple of times because the potatoes take up a lot of seasoning. 

Let the pot simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are the texture you want. We like them to where they start to crumble when you twist the fork for the final product. (different varieties take longer). We like to let it sit off the burner for 10+ minutes for the flavors to mingle and the temperature to drop a bit before we eat it.  This is enough soup for all 5 of us for 2 meals.

If I want it more smoky flavored, then I add in some Penzeys Pork Chop seasoning, or if I am ok with a peppery soup, then Penzeys Chicago steak seasoning works too.  You can also buy smoked salt if you want to add the smokiness without the bacon. 

I sometimes use leeks, or sausage but the fore-mentioned is what my family prefers. 

We serve with cornbread. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Crockpot Potato Soup

1 bag diced potatoes with onion and red pepper (Ore-ida or store brand)

32oz chicken broth

8oz cheddar cheese

1 cup milk

1) Put potatoes and broth in crockpot on low for 5 hours.

2) With immersion blend, blend until almost smooth (chunkiness to your taste)

3) Add cheese and milk

4) Stir

5) Cook additional 30 minutes on low

YUM!

• Like 1

Here's our favorite:

6 cups potatoes, cut in chunks

6 cups chicken broth

1/2 tsp seasoning salt

1/4 tsp white pepper

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Low Boil until potatoes are soft. Mash some to release starches (make it as chunky or smooth as you like)

1 pkg cream cheese, room temp

Temper this with some of the hot soup liquid and stir until it is warm and smooth. Add it to the soup. Stir.

Once in the bowls, I top with chopped bacon.

It's SO simple, but has great flavor.

• Like 1

Mine's a crock pot recipe, too. Not exactly healthy but really good.

1 package frozen hashbrowns

1 can cream of chicken soup

3 cans chicken broth

1 block cream cheese

Salt & pepper

I throw in some dried onions, too

Cook all day. Stir. Serve with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onions.... Whatever!

• Like 1

Just made the yummiest potato soup ever. 

Here's what I did . . . Made about 5 quarts. 

+ Make a batch of veggie soup stock (onion, leek, celery, carrot, potato, herbs, salt, pepper, water to cover) -- takes about an hour, so make it first, while you are preparing everything else it'll be simmering and ready to use when you need it. Strain after an hour or so, discard veggies, keep stock. You'll need about 6 cups. Use canned broth if you prefer, but home made stock is always the best.

+ Chop up 6-7 slices of bacon. Fry up the bacon in the soup pot. Remove crisp bacon & set aside, leave grease (about 1 T is left from my kind of bacon . .. if you have a lot more than that, discard most of it).

+ Add 3 T of butter to the grease. Cook 1 large onion, 3 stalks of celery, 1 leek (white parts and light green parts -- use the dark green parts in the stock!) and 3 carrots (all chopped up to about 1/2 inch dice). When tender . . .

+ In a little bowl, Mix 1/4 c flour, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp thyme 

+ Mix flour stuff into the cooked veggies. Cook for 1-2 min, stirring.

+ Add 2 c milk. Stir constantly until thickened.

+ Add 4-5 large potatoes (diced) and 6 or so cups of stock. (Stock should cover all the veggies well. Add more stock or broth if needed.)

+ Simmer until everything is tender.

+ Remove about 8-12 cups (or about half the soup) to a blender (or a container for an immersion blender), blend until smooth, then return to pot.

+ Add 3 c shredded cheddar. Stir to melt.

+ Adjust salt/pepper.

+ To serve, garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of bacon.

Yumm. Yumm. Yummm. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 1

Family favorite potato soup

8 potatoes, diced

1 stalk celery, chopped (including leaves)

2 carrots, chopped

1 onion, diced

4 or more cloves of garlic

Tumeric

Cayenne pepper

Red pepper flakes

Salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything in the pot. Add water, chicken stock, or vegetable to the top of the veggies.

Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Mash everything, but leave some potato lumps. Add a little milk or non dairy milk. I use a 1/4 cup. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

It is great on it's own or you can play with it. It is very forgiving.

• Like 3