Menu

Little Free Pantries

Farrar

I've started to see these crop up. They're like Little Free Libraries but instead of books, they have free non-perishable food. While Little Free Libraries are like cubes, these tend to be tall rectangles, but a similar footprint of space. A friend built one and they're keeping it restocked with some of their neighbors.

We do give regularly to local soup kitchens and food pantries... but I wondered if this might be a good family project for us to connect in the kids - make it their job to budget it, restock, take note of what items go quickly - as well as to build it initially. It's hard to find good volunteer opportunities for tweens sometimes... we do some things, but nothing regular. It's also just hard with a busy schedule. We live in a diverse, inner city neighborhood. There are homeless people as well as people living in poverty around us (and people who have way more money than us... it's a city neighborhood). My friend a ten minute walk away feels like hers is doing good (they restock it once a week and she says that the stuff goes pretty regularly).

But... there's also something about it that makes me unsure. I feel like I'd like to hear why they're a bad idea... and not in a nimby way - our 'hood already has families facing hunger, I'm sure and will forever. But is there some other aspect of this that I'm not seeing? Pests occurred to me, but if you keep it mostly canned goods, non-food items like toilet paper or shampoo, and things encased in plastic then I'm not sure if that could even be an issue, especially if it had a decent door (and it's up on stilts like a Little Free Library so that helps with the elements and pests too). But maybe there's some other aspect to this I'm not seeing.

If we did it, we wouldn't get to it right away anyway... just thinking.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 6

Here's an article about one with an image if anyone is curious:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-little-free-pantry-arkansas-food-donation_us_579b5ce3e4b0693164c0d44f

I've now seen a couple around here. Our friends' one is more of a tall, thin thing. Painted all bright and pretty with a quote on the door and little rules inside explaining how it works.

• Like 1

It's an incredible idea.  

As far as pitfalls, this might be weird, but I would be afraid people would put trash in it or something.  Around here, when people donate something, it's basically something that just needed to go in the garbage.

I would also be afraid of people who didn't actually need it stealing the stuff out of there..."Oh, look, I don't need to drive to Winco for toilet paper!"  You know, those kinds of people.   :glare:

(Keep in mind I'm in a rowdy neighborhood...)

• Like 3

I think that a little free pantry that was stocked mostly with toiletries would be a godsend in your area. 

In my experience having worked in that area with diverse families, there are many more places where one can go to get food than places where one can go to get toilet paper, tampons, lotion, baby wipes etc . . . so that's what I'd focus on.

• Like 8

I read itas free panties too.

I would be afraid someone would want to sue you. Not that that should stop you, but you asked why it could be a bad idea.

I agree about hygiene products. There is food in every Church on every corner, but tampons are hard to come by.

• Like 3

I think that food banks get food for free or very cheaply, and that buying food at retail prices to give away is inefficient financially.  But undeniably it's generous and good.

I am a former city girl, so I immediately picture things like this turning into drug drops.  But I'm probably just being paranoid.

• Like 1

I really love this idea. I wonder if my Girl Scout troop could do something like this.

When I worked at a Title 1 school, I kind of did this in my classroom. I had a large tote in the corner. It had all kinds of food and toiletries in it. And some cash. When kids needed something, they took it. When they had extra, they restocked. I kept it stocked. It worked really well.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 2

If I was very motivated to stock it with needed items, I would probably attach a pencil and a notepad asking people to list the items they were in most need of (with a disclaimer that it doesn't mean we can get it). Take some of the guess work out. It might be socks or toothpaste, baby formula, who knows.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

I guess I'd be afraid of what seems to me to be the obvious... people taking advantage of it that don't really need it or hogging it so not many people get to use it.

Also, teens stealing toilet paper to TP a lawn, etc.

Someone taking items and reselling them.

Probably some people would take it when others are more in need, but not as often as you'd think.  In my experience, people with limited income are often the most generous because they realize what it's like to not have enough.  Even if it happens once in a while, I don't see that as something to fear, I see some loss as the cost of doing business.  

If two women come and get tampons, and one of them could maybe have gotten some elsewhere, but the other would have had to skip work that day or humiliate herself, or go without food, then to me that's worth it.  

• Like 2

The idea that people who aren't the most in need might take is something I feel like I'd just let go of from the get go. I mean, my friend was telling me they put fruit cups in hers and she's pretty sure the high school students just take them but she's okay with that. And I would be too, honestly. It's like... you know, a lot of teenagers don't get enough snacks. I'm not going to judge.

Focusing on toiletries is a good idea.

When the schools and churches are doing their food pantry days there's always a line up. And when the farmer's market is in, the line to get the tickets stretches way down the block (I don't know how that program works - just that they city gives poor families special farmer's market tickets but you have to line up at the market to get some of the limited number of them at the start of the market for the day). So... I feel like there's a real need even if some of it goes to moochers.

I think putting it up would mean committing to regularly clean it out.

• Like 2

Probably some people would take it when others are more in need, but not as often as you'd think.  In my experience, people with limited income are often the most generous because they realize what it's like to not have enough.  Even if it happens once in a while, I don't see that as something to fear, I see some loss as the cost of doing business.  

If two women come and get tampons, and one of them could maybe have gotten some elsewhere, but the other would have had to skip work that day or humiliate herself, or go without food, then to me that's worth it.  

My comments weren't really about it being worth it or not, but just answering the question of what could go wrong with these little pantries.

In my experience it is really about the character of the person and this can vary despite financial status. I have been what I considered very poor (scraping by on one PT income, car that kept having problems, had SNAP benefits, lived in low-income housing neighborhood) and I didn't trust everyone that was poor nor thought the best of all my neighbors just because they, too, lived in a low-income subdivision. I've seen some crappy interactions between poor people and it really wasn't about them being poor imo. It was about their character. I've seen people leap for freebies on free cycle networks and not act very appreciative. I know you weren't saying every.single.poor.person but I just don't think I would go as far as to say the bolded, either. Just really depends.

I can't find it, but someone asked about liability. According to one thing I read about them, they can be considered to be covered under good Samaritan laws. I really don't think we'd get into a zoning issue. So many people have Little Free Libraries here (I can think of a dozen within walking distance) and now a couple of these have already popped up. I think it would be okay. I *might* get in trouble for putting it on our street strip, which unfortunately has a tree... There are actual rules about that space. But... I don't know. DC. Insert eyeroll about inept politics.

• Like 1

I guess I might be nervous to put it too close to my own house, that way if I ever left town, didn't refill it, etc. someone wouldn't be tempted to take it out on my house or ring my door bell/leave notes. Would you put it in front of your own home? Most people probably wouldn't harass the homeowner, but I guess in the back of my mind I would wonder if anyone would come knocking with requests or such.

• Like 1

I am a former city girl, so I immediately picture things like this turning into drug drops.  But I'm probably just being paranoid.

This was my concern with little free libraries where we used to live. 

For the pantry, in the right location, I think it would be good. Having been on SNAP toiletries and pet food were big issues. Toilet paper, feminine hygiene, even household cleaners can be an issue. 

• Like 1

I guess I might be nervous to put it too close to my own house, that way if I ever left town, didn't refill it, etc. someone wouldn't be tempted to take it out on my house or ring my door bell/leave notes. Would you put it in front of your own home? Most people probably wouldn't harass the homeowner, but I guess in the back of my mind I would wonder if anyone would come knocking with requests or such.

Our home is a rowhouse. It's on a small hill. There's a postage stamp yard in front (and in back! we have tons of yard for the city) held up by a stone retaining wall. You have to go up steps to get anywhere near our house and yard. Ideally, if we did it, I'd like to put it on our patch between the sidewalk and the street down below the wall. I see Little Free Libraries in that space a lot.

I'm not keen on putting it by the house. But... we've had many people try the door over the years. Never a proper break in. We're lucky that we're home all the time probably. A couple of times it's been when just the kids were here, which freaks me out a little. The police were way too blase about it for my taste. But... oh well. I don't know if it would attract more people or not. I mean, we already are at risk to be broken into by virtue of our location. It's hard for me to see this changing that. The main reason I don't want people in our yard proper is that they'd be close to the windows. As it is, we have the illusion of a little privacy by virtue of our hill.

The drug drop thing... yeah. Fun thing for the kids to find. Sigh. Maybe pot being legal would make it less likely? Probably just more likely to be something harder. But also, why our pantry over the Little Free Library on the next block? Or the old gas meters on every other block?

• Like 1

I have not seen these around here, but here is my gut reaction, right or wrong. When I give to the food pantry, I know that the food will go to those who need it and be eaten. I would be afraid that free food just sitting out could become something that dumb 13 year olds use to throw at houses or cars or something.

I don't know, maybe that's just way too cynical.

• Like 2

The drug drop thing... yeah. Fun thing for the kids to find. Sigh. Maybe pot being legal would make it less likely? Probably just more likely to be something harder. But also, why our pantry over the Little Free Library on the next block? Or the old gas meters on every other block?

Honestly, I don't think I would worry about this. Like you said, why your pantry over any of the other places? Maybe I have too much faith in humanity.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 1

Let us know if you do it and how it goes. If you ever find drugs in it or suspicious activity then I guess you could just re-evaluate at that point. Since you are home a lot you could probably keep an eye on it and see if teens are snatching TP or not lol. I get nervous about making commitments and would worry it was a commitment but I suppose if it ever became a problem you could take it down.

I think it's a great idea, but I also think there would be a problem with hoarders and general assholes cleaning it out on a regular basis. I've seen that happen around here more than I like to think about. There's a United Way food thing outside in town, where people who grow gardens donate their extra produce. It's just a set of shelves outside filled with produce. I've seen people drive up and haul all of it away. A reasonably well-off single guy I used to know- six figure salary- used to brag about how he would go every month to the United Way food drop for people living in poverty and take as much free food as they'd give him because that was more money he could invest rather than spend on food. Another time a church was donating a bunch of stuff (blankets, kids clothing, etc.) next to a food drop, and one family in a very nice minivan drove up, literally took everything, stuffed it into their van, and left. WHY the people running it didn't stop them I have no idea, but it was sickening.

These are the kinds of people who would, I'm sure, happily stop by once a week whether they needed it or not and take everything to save themselves a buck. 

• Like 3

I stopped to give a homeless guy money once - he was out on a bitterly cold day, with his dog.  I think the windchill was colder than -60F, and actual temp -30F.  I handed him quite a large amount of cash - about half my grocery budget at the time.  Later that day I drove past the same place again, got stopped at the traffic light, and watched him get up and get into a brand new Audi SUV.  He had plenty of money, he just decided to torture a dog in the cold and steal from people.

Ever since then I give to a local charity I trust that screens people.  In our last home, I gave to a charity run by local churches.  The pastors realized the same group of 15 people were taking money from every church in town and decided it was better to hire one person to screen everyone so that no families were making in excess of $30k stealing from churches.  They were then able to cover more for the people who actually needed it, and stop giving to scam artists and addicts.  They're also better able to give non-cash gifts than they were when the churches weren't working together.  Single mom on hospice?  They'll not only pay her bills, they'll take the kids to the amusement park while volunteers do yard work.

We haven't found a charity like that since we moved again, but you've just reminded me I should find one.  Thanks.

• Like 4

I stopped to give a homeless guy money once - he was out on a bitterly cold day, with his dog.  I think the windchill was colder than -60F, and actual temp -30F.  I handed him quite a large amount of cash - about half my grocery budget at the time.  Later that day I drove past the same place again, got stopped at the traffic light, and watched him get up and get into a brand new Audi SUV.  He had plenty of money, he just decided to torture a dog in the cold and steal from people.

Ever since then I give to a local charity I trust that screens people.  In our last home, I gave to a charity run by local churches.  The pastors realized the same group of 15 people were taking money from every church in town and decided it was better to hire one person to screen everyone so that no families were making in excess of $30k stealing from churches.  They were then able to cover more for the people who actually needed it, and stop giving to scam artists and addicts.  They're also better able to give non-cash gifts than they were when the churches weren't working together.  Single mom on hospice?  They'll not only pay her bills, they'll take the kids to the amusement park while volunteers do yard work.

We haven't found a charity like that since we moved again, but you've just reminded me I should find one.  Thanks.

My parents run a charity with another married couple.  We all want to help people, really!  But, organizations have to be so careful.  They can be big targets.  My parents' charity was ripped off twice - for several hundred dollars both times.   :glare:  That money was given to my parents to help people who really needed it and some jerk stole it.