Menu

Ugh! How many appliances can break in a year

JustEm

This is not a good year to be an appliance in my house. Early in the year the glass top on our stove broke. The cost to replace the top wasn't worth it so we replaced the entire appliance. No huge financial strain because I negotiate the hell out of any purchase but still annoying.

Next the dryer started slowly dying. It would do a worse job on drying clothes. We cleaned the inside and the vent but that didn't help. So now it take 2 cycles to dry a load sometimes that isn't quite enough. I've been line drying for a few weeks. I'm not replacing the dryer until the washer goes, which seems to be on its last leg as well.

The microwave and Crock-Pot both broke last month. Neither is getting replaced because I can live without the microwave and I plan on buying an Instant Pot next time it is on sale to replace the Crock-Pot.

And today our precious coffeemaker broke mid brew. Is it sad that this is the only appliance I'm sad about dying? This one will be replaced immediately! Maybe with just a French press but likely with another

We can afford to replace everything but I'm extremely picky with how I spend my money and just don't want to spend it! Times like these make me find creative ways to earn extra money fast so I can replace things without taking money out of my savings. Line drying has saved us $50 so far on our electricity bill so that savings is going into an account specifically for appliance replacement.

What a bummer!  That has happened to us before too.  We have gotten a lot of things used.  We bought our microwave, fridge, and dryer all used from an appliance store in town.  Thrift stores often have things like crockpots and coffeemakers that look nearly new, sometimes still in their boxes.

• Like 1

I called my similar situation appliance Armageddon. About 10 years after we built the house, the stove, the dishwasher, the water heater, the washer, and the fridge all died. There were also a number of small appliances. It was very very sad. We wound up moving soon after leaving all those great new appliances for someone else to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bethben
  • Like 2

I'm not sure you will like my answer! In the last year we have had one of our AC's go out, the septic pump, the pool cleaner, and my washing machine. :( You have my sympathies because it sucks.

What a bummer! That has happened to us before too. We have gotten a lot of things used. We bought our microwave, fridge, and dryer all used from an appliance store in town. Thrift stores often have things like crockpots and coffeemakers that look nearly new, sometimes still in their boxes.

Oh yes, I will be looking at thrifts stores and floor models in appliance stores. I never pay full price for anything. But right now I just don't want to spend any money on any of it because of how mad and annoyed I am!

• Like 2

Oh I forgot, our AC is leaking somewhere on the inside unit so we haven't had AC on since the beginning of July because it was ruining our floors. The AC may be an easy fix we just keep putting it off because we've been so busy.

Oh and our kitchen sink is leaking. That we can fix yourself over the weekend. But it's still another thing to add to the list.

I called my similar situation appliance Armageddon. About 10 years after we built the house, the stove, the dishwasher, the water heater, the washer, and the fridge all died. There were also a number of small appliances. It was very very sad. We wound up moving soon after leaving all those great new appliances for someone else to enjoy.

Same here.  we are 10 years after building and everything is needing replacing.

AC has some problem.  I hope cheap

Washer is needing a new part again after getting one before.  I think we will just replace it.

Dryer doesn't need it but I thought we might replace it anyhow.

Stove

Dishwasher 

are getting replaced soon

We might do the fridge at the same time.

We have the money, but I prefer not to spend it.  Oh well.  We will have nice new appliances when we move.  Hopefully that helps to sell it.

Oh I forgot, our AC is leaking somewhere on the inside unit so we haven't had AC on since the beginning of July because it was ruining our floors. The AC may be an easy fix we just keep putting it off because we've been so busy.

Oh and our kitchen sink is leaking. That we can fix yourself over the weekend. But it's still another thing to add to the list.

It's probably a good thing you and I don't know each other in real life. We could create some sort of cosmic money sucking vortex with the vibes we're throwing off. I am actually having a new roof put on today, because you know, all of the other stuff wasn't enough fun! 

I told dh that with all the things we've replaced within the last few years like windows, AC, fridge, stove, soon to be washer and dryer, all of the plumbing, etc, I refuse to move anytime soon. No way am I letting someone else enjoy all this new stuff when I'll likely be in a house that has all those things go wrong within the first few years of owning.

It's probably a good thing you and I don't know each other in real life. We could create some sort of cosmic money sucking vortex with the vibes we're throwing off. I am actually having a new roof put on today, because you know, all of the other stuff wasn't enough fun!

Haha! Sorry to hear about all your replacements. I'm sure our roof will be needing replacement soon enough. I will cry on that day. But it's just money I guess

Let me in on your secrets on finding good deals. Where are you getting your appliances?

We've gone to the Sears outlet and make sure we pick up floor models, not returned ones. Floor models generally just have cosmetic issues like dents. And then I simply just ask for a lower price. They usually have to get the manager but I can usually get 30% off the already reduced price by simply asking.

I've done the same at Lowes and then have used 10% off coupons at the register and used my Lowes credit card for an additional 5%. Most places will negotiate with you if you talk to the right person.

• Like 1

We've gone to the Sears outlet and make sure we pick up floor models, not returned ones. Floor models generally just have cosmetic issues like dents. And then I simply just ask for a lower price. They usually have to get the manager but I can usually get 30% off the already reduced price by simply asking.

I've done the same at Lowes and then have used 10% off coupons at the register and used my Lowes credit card for an additional 5%. Most places will negotiate with you if you talk to the right person.

I love floor models! That's how I got my Speed Queen this year! :) 

I love floor models! That's how I got my Speed Queen this year! :)

We got our $4000 Lazy Boy sectional this summer for $770. Lazy Boy donates their floor models to Habitat for Humanity's Restore. They all look brand new but apparently not new enough to still be on the floor at the Lazy Boy store.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about everyone else's household woes.

It has been an interesting year for broken stuff for me at least. I've really spent time evaluating what really needs to be replaced and what can wait. The oven/stove was a no brainier replacement because we use it daily and it saves us tons since we actively choose not to eat out or get convenience foods often.

The microwave was one I thought I'd wait a month and see how it goes. No one misses it so it isn't getting replaced. The dishwasher broke years ago and we used to not replace it because we couldn't afford it. Now we don't replace it because washing dishes take 5 minutes after a meal so the expense doesn't seem worth it. The AC would be nice to fix for comforts sake but we survived a pretty hot summer without it so I'm in no real rush to call it a need.

That's impressively bad. I've had three or four have issues in one year, two of which needed replacing and the other two limped along with repairs, but I'm pretty sure this is your call to become a Luddite ;)

We had to replace washer and then dryer this year. The tv broke the other day, but was only $100 fix. The printer is dying, our dishwasher is acting up and one of the fridges is threatening to go as well. Oh, and the 16 year old minivan needed more in repairs than it was worth, so we replaced that with a five year old one. Our swing set got crushed by a tree and just got repaired. 2016 just go away!

• Like 1

The lifespan of most appliances is about 10 years. That means that when you build a new house and install all that stuff, chances are they will all die within 1-2 years of one another.

My house is 15 yrs old. I fully expect my fridge and stove to die within the next 18 months.

The washer and dryer have given out in the last 2-3 years and we were ablle to replace the messed up part. The dishwasher died 2 yrs ago. The hot water heater made it about 10 years before we had to replace the element on it.

• Like 1

I get it! In a 1.5 year span the clothes washer, fridge, dishwasher, bread maker, crock pot, kitchenaid stand mixer, and gas cooktop all broke. Dh was able to fix the cooktop, stand mixer, and dishwasher but the rest were all a loss.

This year the microwave, dishwasher, ac, and car are all getting flaky. Not looking forward to all that dying!

Thanks.

Keeping this in mind.

Trouble comes in bunches.

In March we decided to replace our roof because we had reason to believe it was failing. We were probably a year late, and it was significantly more expensive than we had hoped. But you need a good roof, right?

Then a few days after the roofing crew left, the water heater died. We had to have that of course.

Then a few weeks later DH's car died, and it cost $1000 to fix. He needs his own car.

Then a few weeks after that I had a flat, and we realized that the tires on my van were nearly gone. I was planning a business trip 1/2 a day a way, and we were hoping to visit relatives one state away. So we replaced all the tires.

Nothing since then. Hopefully! My refrigerator is 18 years old though, so that's probably next...

Edited by G5052

This is not a good year to be an appliance in my house. Early in the year the glass top on our stove broke. The cost to replace the top wasn't worth it so we replaced the entire appliance. No huge financial strain because I negotiate the hell out of any purchase but still annoying.

Next the dryer started slowly dying. It would do a worse job on drying clothes. We cleaned the inside and the vent but that didn't help. So now it take 2 cycles to dry a load sometimes that isn't quite enough. I've been line drying for a few weeks. I'm not replacing the dryer until the washer goes, which seems to be on its last leg as well.

The microwave and Crock-Pot both broke last month. Neither is getting replaced because I can live without the microwave and I plan on buying an Instant Pot next time it is on sale to replace the Crock-Pot.

And today our precious coffeemaker broke mid brew. Is it sad that this is the only appliance I'm sad about dying? This one will be replaced immediately! Maybe with just a French press but likely with another

We can afford to replace everything but I'm extremely picky with how I spend my money and just don't want to spend it! Times like these make me find creative ways to earn extra money fast so I can replace things without taking money out of my savings. Line drying has saved us $50 so far on our electricity bill so that savings is going into an account specifically for appliance replacement.

The coffee pot would bum me out too.  Last time we killed one I found a Bunn on Craigslist for $25 because she got two at her shower.  Score! (Ended up being a blessing.)

I'm hoping the same for you.  

But, I'll say, "How many appliances can break in a year?" isn't something I'd breathe out loud.  I'm afraid my house would consider those words to be a challenge!

• Like 1

Trouble comes in bunches.

In March we decided to replace our roof because we had reason to believe it was failing. We were probably a year late, and it was significantly more expensive than we had hoped. But you need a good roof, right?

Then a few days after the roofing crew left, the water heater died. We had to have that of course.

Then a few weeks later DH's car died, and it cost $1000 to fix. He needs his own car.

Then a few weeks after that I had a flat, and we realized that the tires on my van were nearly gone. I was planning a business trip 1/2 a day a way, and we were hoping to visit relatives one state away. So we replaced all the tires.

Nothing since then. Hopefully! My refrigerator is 18 years old though, so that's probably next...

See this was the year of appliances, while half of 2014 and 2015 were the year of over ten water leaks resulting in paying to have the entire house plumbing redone. That alone cost as much as all the things that happened this year combined. The only good thing that came out of the leaks was the insurance claim for water damage, which we ended up using in new windows instead of repairing the floors and paint because we knew more leaks were likely until we could get the plumbing redone. We still have the floors and paint waiting for us to tackle but we can do that on our own when we have a spare weekend or 2.

2013 was the AC replacement.I can't wait for a year where something doesn't break.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1

The coffee pot would bum me out too. Last time we killed one I found a Bunn on Craigslist for $25 because she got two at her shower. Score! (Ended up being a blessing.)

I'm hoping the same for you.

But, I'll say, "How many appliances can break in a year?" isn't something I'd breathe out loud. I'm afraid my house would consider those words to be a challenge!

My mom actually came over to watch my kids today and handed me cash. She said, "this is for a new coffeemaker because I know you don't want to use a French press but will if it means saving money." My mom knows me too well😃

• Like 1

The lifespan of most appliances is about 10 years. That means that when you build a new house and install all that stuff, chances are they will all die within 1-2 years of one another.

My house is 15 yrs old. I fully expect my fridge and stove to die within the next 18 months.

The washer and dryer have given out in the last 2-3 years and we were ablle to replace the messed up part. The dishwasher died 2 yrs ago. The hot water heater made it about 10 years before we had to replace the element on it.

We built our house 10 years ago and I always worried about this.  

OP, I didn't read the whole thread, but when a friend started losing appliances like that, it actually turned out to be a problem with the electrical feed to her house.  Something or other wasn't right with the electricity (highs? lows? cycling?  I don't remember), and that was putting unexpected strain on the appliances.  So if something simple like a crock-pot or coffee maker is going bad, along with the other stuff, and all at the same time, that might be something to consider.

OP, I didn't read the whole thread, but when a friend started losing appliances like that, it actually turned out to be a problem with the electrical feed to her house. Something or other wasn't right with the electricity (highs? lows? cycling? I don't remember), and that was putting unexpected strain on the appliances. So if something simple like a crock-pot or coffee maker is going bad, along with the other stuff, and all at the same time, that might be something to consider.

We've considered that but the breaking appliances have all been unrelated. Stove glass top got broken by a kid standing on it, microwave was during a power surge in which many other people in the area also lost appliances, AC has condensation causing the leak, Crock-Pot insert cracked, and coffeemaker was 10 years old and used daily so it was only a matter of time.