Menu

Positive Olympic comments (add your own)

creekland

From Equestrian - eventing:

Kudos to you, France.  You did AWESOME.

Mark Todd (New Zealand), I'm sorry things didn't go better for you (and your team) today :grouphug: , but you're still my equestrian hero no matter what.  And I'm thoroughly impressed that you're doing what you're doing at the top level at 60 years of age!  (ps  You were my teenage hero too.)

Anyone else with positive comments?  (Any sport)

• Like 1

I'm so happy with our news coverage and commentators who have been positive and proud of our Canadian athletes who may not medal but have performed at their best. For example, they were very excited for a swimmer who came 5th but had a personal best time. I have not heard any comments lamenting that silvers and bronzes weren't golds. Each athlete with an outstanding performance has been celebrated, regardless of where they placed. It has been a fantastic teaching experience for my Ds and he will take these lessons into his own sport.

• Like 3

Swim and gymnastics are my downfall, and diving. Late nights since I just can't turn it off. Overall I have enjoyed it, the couple's diving yesterday was crazy good. So synchronized!!! Crazy.

Yes, surprised at seeing some older gymnasts... don't remember as many from prior Olympics.

Not sure if this is positive, but I just can't stop laughing at the guy who was obsess over Phelps yesterday before the 200fly, I'm still laughing. And I couldn't tell if Phelps was just ignoring him, or at times he wanted to punch him on the face.

Looking forward to that race tonight 😂

• Like 4

I'm sorry I don't know the young man's name, but I thought it was a tender moment when during the medal ceremony for winning gold for the 4x400 swimming relay, he was crying during our national anthem and afterwards Michael Phelps leaned over to give him a loving hug.  Kind of made me think if Michael was remembering when it was his time on the Olympic podium . 

• Like 4

And now an Equestrian consecutive Olympic gold for Micheal Jung of Germany riding the same horse, Sam.  They did so well.  It was definitely deserved.  

If I recall what they said correctly, this is only the third time in Olympic history.  Mark Todd with Charisma being one of the others back in the '80s.  I remember that one pretty vividly.  I can't say I remember the other.

On to watching the gold medal event for Canoeing in 10 minutes.

Thank you BBC and thank you for no commercials!

• Like 1

So disappointed for Lauren Kieffer and Clark Montgomery yesterday, especially Lauren, because I love her horse, and she's been 2nd at Rolex the past two years. Also very impressed that the German team managed all double clears after their (relatively) disastrous cross country yesterday. Phillip Dutton went from 15th to 3rd after a seriously impressive save on cross country yesterday.

And I can't wait to watch dressage tomorrow, as many of my favorites will be there -- Verdades, Nip Tuck, Legolas 92, and of course, Valegro. The US also has a seriously impressive show jumping team this year; I'm rooting for them to get gold. :)

(Aside from the equestrian events, i think women's gymnastics tonight will be fun to watch.$

• Like 1

We're just loving watching and learning about sports that we're not usually exposed to much. Like team kayaking, fencing, and handball. It's cool to learn a little about new sports and find reasons to cheer for whomever is participating.

We have been so worried about the Dutch woman in the cycling race that crashed hard and didn't appear to be moving. Read today that she was released from the hospital and will be ok.

My boys are all swimmers, so we have been obsessed with the swimming. And yes, we were totally cracking up when Chad Le Clos was trying to rattle Michael Phelps last night. Phelps' facial expressions were priceless! And of course, the best revenge is winning the race!

We love the Olympics, and are making full use of our cable subscription right now.

• Like 2

My kids are glued to the TV this week.  

Yesterday afternoon, in our backyard swimming pool we had a demonstration of all the different swimming strokes used in the different events by my son who has never taken a swimming lesson in his life.

Later in the day, three of my boys were plotting how to get onto a rugby team altogether and head off to the Olympics after they graduate - LOL!  

Last night we were all standing up and yelling as Michael Phelps finished first in his race.

I'm supposed to start school this week but am seriously considering delaying it so they can continue to absorb all the good things that happen during the Olympics.

• Like 2

I'm loving watching Ledecky in swimming. She's from my state. I just love her charming smile in interviews and on the podium.

When I watch women's gymnastics, I want to have musculature like that! :D I don't want to work out for ten hours a day, however. Guess that's why my butt is not made of iron.

• Like 5

I watch alone since no one else in my house cares but I always get chills no matter who wins. The gamble of spending years working for one moment. Not for the faint of heart. I yelled out loud for the " old guy" when Phelps won over Le Clos. Lilly King! A Hoosier so I was pulling for her. It's always good when a blunt person manages to back up her words.

• Like 4

My oldest child was born days before the 2008 Olympics, so we were up in the middle of the night with a newborn, watching live as Michael Phelps tried to win those eight gold medals in a single Games. I had to leave the room for that final race, I was so nervous and overwhelmed.

Now, in 2016, I cuddled my newly 8yo while we watched Phelps swim for gold again, and saw Phelps go to the stands to kiss and hold his own tiny infant son after winning.

I think we're missing the word in the English to precisely describe that feeling. Kind of surreal, kind of nostalgia, kind of... something else really cool.

I wouldn't say Phelps seemed self-centered to the casual spectator before this year, more like "inward focused". Which was probably necessary! But his presence now appears to have blossomed from solely a competitor to one of an experienced leader, maybe even approaching a mentor role. He's really grown up a lot.

On a side note, that same 8yo son called me out yesterday when helping him write a story because I had assumed all of the characters in his tale were male. I know there's a lot of "marketing to a female audience" going on with the Olympics commercials, but the message is sinking in that women are capable and powerful in their own right, whether they are swimmers or fencers or clerics sensing the evil goblin behind the tree up ahead.

• Like 7

Congratulations to the Canadian women's soccer team for beating Germany!!!! Awesome game, ladies. :party:

Yay to the Canadian women for getting a bronze medal in synchronized diving. What a gorgeous event to watch.

Off to watch more beach volleyball and swimming, and hopefully see some equestrian and more tennis!

I just heard that if Michael Phelps was his own country, he'd have the third most medals of any country ever in swimming (behind USA and Australia). Unbelieveable! 

• Like 1

I just LOVE watching all the gold medalists as they stand on the podium and get to hear their country's national anthem/song!  It's such a beautiful tribute...not a negative kind of nationalism at all, but a GOOD, even humble pride if that makes any sense.  We've had a great time looking up the songs and reading the lyrics!  ( http://www.nationalanthems.info/ is one site)

• Like 1

Yup, another cheer for the Final 5...what an amazing performance, from every single one of them.

And Phelps, got his gold back, also gold on the relay. Fantastic day for him and the US team! As they are saying..."don't poke the bear" or the tiger? Whatever it was...glad that got settled and the gold is back in US hands 😊

And yes, Ledecky! Truly enjoying watching her!

• Like 1