Menu

Is there a way to tell how big a mutt will be?

Ann.without.an.e

At 6 weeks, he's just 3.5 lbs and his paws are tiny.  Is there a way to tell what size he will be full grown?  

ETA:  We've committed to foster him for 2 more weeks until he is old enough for adoption.  But at this rate, he probably isn't going anywhere.  We are all just too smitten  :001_tt1:

Edited by Attolia

All I've ever been told is to look at the size of the paws, but I don't know if that's an old wives tale or not.

I know, that's what I've always been told and I was wondering if it was legit too.    It is so hard to tell with a mutt.  We are in love with this puppy but don't want to commit if he will turn into a beast some day  :crying:   The mom was a smaller pitbull and the dad is unknown.  He doesn't appear to be full blood pitbull for sure.  

Edited by Attolia

Paws aren't accurate, but if he's only 3.5 now he won't be huge. Definitely less than 50, probably less than 40.

I used to be a groomer and watched about 2,000 dogs grow up, but I have no veterinary schooling, so take my thoughts for what they're worth.

• Like 1

Your vet can give you a good guess. They can look at his teeth and guess how old he is (even better if you know for sure his birth date, but that's pretty rare). I think dh's (he's a vet) rule of thumb is something like "at 4 months, they're about half their adult weight" or something like that. I think that works about right for medium size dogs, but would under predict size of a giant breed and over predict a tiny breed. For a 50# dog, it works about right. :) 

Google up "puppy growth chart" for some ideas.

My best guess is that he'll be a small size dog (20-25lb), if your age is close and your weight is right. And, FWIW, the vast majority of mixed breed dogs are smallish to mediumish. You rarely get a giant dog from mixed parents. Probably because not many giant male dogs run around un-neutered. 

• Like 3

Years ago we got siblings from the same foster dog's litter. The mom was a Lab or Lab mix. The dad we believe was a Husky or Husky mix. The male grew to be typical Lab size but the female was way smaller, smallish even for a Husky. She also looked way more like a Husky. The puppies started off not that different in size but the brother grew way faster than the sister.

• Like 1

I found this chart online. A 3.5 lb, 6 week old puppy would be at the lighter end of the "Small" category, so probably under 20 lbs as an adult. I saw another chart specifically for beagles, which said that a 5 lb, 6 wk old puppy would be about 20 lbs as an adult. So I think it's safe to fall in love with your little guy!

7c1538a8bf429b9298ba89485d84ef50.jpg

But we definitely need pictures!!! :001_tt1:

• Like 1

It looks like he still has blue eyes? Does he come from a line with blue eyes in the genetics? I thought eye colour started changing earlier than six week.

His eyes are still VERY blue and I hope they stay blue because they are gorgeous.  In fact, if anything they've gotten bluer.  He's a mutt - we don't know the genes.

Edited by Attolia

Don't y'all think his coat is too long to be pit? I mean I'll buy the half-pitbull theory because of his coloring and but his feet are too small and his coat isn't short and sleek enough to be anywhere near full, right?

The head size made me think pit as well as the colouring but I'm definitely no expert. Also the eyes are really wide set. But he does look pretty fluffy too.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

The head size made me think pit as well as the colouring but I'm definitely no expert. Also the eyes are really wide set. But he does look pretty fluffy too.

My guess is that he is only half.  I definitely see some pit in him, for sure.  At the same time, pit puppies I've seen online have a  totally different coat (shorter, sleeker) and are much larger at six weeks than this little guy. Also, his paws are far too dainty for a pit - they are shaped more like a collie we once had.  The pit puppy pics I've seen have much larger, burlier paws. There is no telling what the daddy dog was.

Edited by Attolia

My guess is that he is only half. I definitely see some pit in him, for sure. At the same time, pit puppies I've seen online have a totally different coat (shorter, sleeker) and are much larger at six weeks than this little guy. Also, his paws are far too dainty for a pit - they are shaped more like a collie we once had. The pit puppy pics I've seen have much larger, burlier paws. There is no telling what the daddy dog was.

Do you know for sure he is six weeks?

awww...thanks ya'll.  He is super precious.  I fear him getting too big or changing from his sweet, loving, laid back personality but I guess that's a gamble with any puppy.  We've always gotten dogs between 6-12 months old so we kind of knew what we were getting into.  We weren't looking for a dog at all, we just volunteered to foster for a few weeks until he was adoptable, but do ya'll see those little eyes?  My goodness, I'm not sure I can let him go.  Because he was bottle fed, he is super duper snuggly too  :001_tt1:   Maybe I just can't be a puppy-foster-mommy?  I get too attached.

Please do not post any more pictures...   :closedeyes:

We do not have a dog.

We do not hate dogs.

We do not need a dog.

We had no plans of getting a dog.

Until you posted those pictures....swoon!    :001_wub:   :001_wub:   :001_wub:

He is so precious! Seriously, please post regular updates!

ETA:  Alas, we will have to live vicariously (through your cute pics) as we have a house full of indoor kitties...   :tongue_smilie: 

Edited by Jenn in FL
  • Like 2

Puppies are just so good for the soul  :001_wub:   Ok that was mean of me to say, sorry :lol:  Enjoy your kitties and I'll try to post pics as he grows IF we keep him  :tongue_smilie:

Please do not post any more pictures...   :closedeyes:

We do not have a dog.

We do not hate dogs.

We do not need a dog.

We had no plans of getting a dog.

Until you posted those pictures....swoon!    :001_wub:   :001_wub:   :001_wub:

He is so precious! Seriously, please post regular updates!

ETA:  Alas, we will have to live vicariously (through your cute pics) as we have a house full of indoor kitties...   :tongue_smilie: 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

I'll take that bet.  :coolgleamA:

You are SO keeping him!   :lol:

Puppies are good for the soul!  :wub:  

It might be a pretty profitable bet  :lol:   Although we (meaning DH) hasn't decided 100%.  We've always been a one-dog family so this would break all sorts of rules  :cool:

Edited by Attolia

If you decide to keep him, socialization will your biggest challenge. 

Any hand raised pups can be troublesome. for that matter, so can singletons raised by a mom. If they don't learn vital social cues from litter mates, it can lead to behavior problems down the line. 

And given you may have some pit there, it will be super super super important to work hard on dog-dog socialization. I'd be finding someone with a litter of puppies on the ground so that he can play with them & then immediately finding a puppy playgroup run by a certified positive reinforcement trainer. 

Also check out Puppy Culture. https://www.puppyculture.com/, buy the resources & do all those exercises. 

• Like 3

Any hand raised pups can be troublesome. for that matter, so can singletons raised by a mom. If they don't learn vital social cues from litter mates, it can lead to behavior problems down the line. 

And given you may have some pit there, it will be super super super important to work hard on dog-dog socialization. I'd be finding someone with a litter of puppies on the ground so that he can play with them & then immediately finding a puppy playgroup run by a certified positive reinforcement trainer. 

Also check out Puppy Culture. https://www.puppyculture.com/, buy the resources & do all those exercises. 

Yes! There is a chapter about this in Patricia McConnel's book For the Love of a Dog. In a litter, puppies learn to deal with frustration by being jostled at feeding time, having to fight for the nipple, etc etc. They learn it again when they get a bit bigger and play rough and tumble. You NEED to get this puppy used to dealing with frustration, and socialized with other dogs in a safe way. 

Actually, if you were to contact Patricia McConnel via her website, she might give you some insights on what she did when raising a single pup in a litter, and the research in that area. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have that in my plan but we aren't supposed to do it until he has had his first shots (happening this week).  He will naturally have lower immunity because he wasn't nursed long enough :/  Poor little guy.

Yes! There is a chapter about this in Patricia McConnel's book For the Love of a Dog. In a litter, puppies learn to deal with frustration by being jostled at feeding time, having to fight for the nipple, etc etc. They learn it again when they get a bit bigger and play rough and tumble. You NEED to get this puppy used to dealing with frustration, and socialized with other dogs in a safe way. 

Actually, if you were to contact Patricia McConnel via her website, she might give you some insights on what she did when raising a single pup in a litter, and the research in that area. 

Yes, I have that in my plan but we aren't supposed to do it until he has had his first shots (happening this week).  He will naturally have lower immunity because he wasn't nursed long enough :/  Poor little guy.

Great! Will you be able to right after the first shots?

you may be interested in Susan Garrett's blog posts about raising Swagger who was an unexpected singleton. She arranged to take him to meet a litter of puppies.

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2011/02/socializing-the-singleton-puppy-a-swaggers-big-adventures/

Swagger still had some issues later which she had to work through. He was very mouthy and had some bits of resource guarding.  I was in part of her Puppy Peaks online program so saw her work through some of it http://www.puppypeaks.com/fe/58819-puppy-peaks-info  If you read through her archives in 2011 you'll see a number of posts on several issues which give insight into how to approach some stuff. 

Oh & some vets still don't really understand the risk/reward ratios on socialization pre full vax so if you need ammo, this is a great resource: http://4pawsu.com/vaccinations.htm

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 2

Great! Will you be able to right after the first shots?

you may be interested in Susan Garrett's blog posts about raising Swagger who was an unexpected singleton. She arranged to take him to meet a litter of puppies.

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2011/02/socializing-the-singleton-puppy-a-swaggers-big-adventures/ 

Swagger still had some issues later which she had to work through. He was very mouthy and had some bits of resource guarding.  I was in part of her Puppy Peaks online program so saw her work through some of it http://www.puppypeaks.com/fe/58819-puppy-peaks-info  If you read through her archives in 2011 you'll see a number of posts on several issues which give insight into how to approach some stuff. 

Oh & some vets still don't really understand the risk/reward ratios on socialization pre full vax so if you need ammo, this is a great resource: http://4pawsu.com/vaccinations.htm

I need to look into it more.  To me it wasn't an option until he at least had his first shots. 

Edited by Attolia