Menu

How did your local paper announce the first female US presidential candidate from a major party?

KarenNC

53 members have voted

1. 1. How did your local paper announce the nomination of the first woman for US president?

• Front page above the fold
    • Front page below the fold
    • Not on the front page
    • With a photo of Hillary Clinton
    • With a photo of Bill Clinton only
    • With a different photo (please describe)
    • obligatory other

Wouldn't his picture be there because he was the one who was the keynote? Was she even physically at the convention?

(I don't get a paper)

I do see your point.  And one thing that comes to my mind is that the picture is supposed to illustrate, add more to, the story at hand.  So, if the headline said "President Clinton speaks on behalf of his Wife" (or Secretary Clinton, or whatever) and the accompanying story was about him...then of course his picture should be there.  Or even it it was a rather bland headline such as "Former President and others speak on day 2 of Democratic convention" then again, his picture or whoever else spoke that night makes perfect sense.

But if the headline and story are about a historic event, and you want to use a picture to illustrate, then please use one of the person about whom you are actually refering. Or, because she isn't physically there, use a picture of convention goers doing their thing or cheering the historic event. 

With the way many have done it, it just looks like they used a picture of the wrong Clinton, and that's just shoddy.

FWIW, newspaper editors go to lengths, not always successfully, to ensure that pictures and stories go together and that the front page as a whole works. There are lots of 'oops' pictures of a headline from one story being next to the picture from another story causing a chuckle or alarm.  A former co-worker used to have a picture of himself cut out of the paper, placed next to a big headline about a criminal still being in the loose. The way he cut it out as a piece made it look like he was the criminal. Bad placement by the paper. It's the sort of thing that copy editors are supposed to keep an eye out for. It's not always avoidable, but they are supposed to at least make an effort.

Seeing as they do this sort of thing ever day, one would assume that they would pay a bit more attention to who was in the picture as compared to the headline.  For Pete's sake, that is a common part of the exercise in the workbook "Editor in Chief"...a fave of homeschoolers. My kids have learned to start the exercise by checking that the facts in the story matches the caption under the picture.  So, it's not like this is a radical concept.

• Like 3

From what I understand, Hillary isn't actually there yet, she'll accept the nomination tomorrow.  So it makes sense they would have a picture of Bill who did a big speech about her, rather than a stock photo of her from some random place.  I'm sure there will be lots of pictures of her after her speech on Thursday.

It's not like this was someone that no-one ever heard of unexpectedly nominated from the floor (the only possible reason I *might* understand for not having a photo of the candidate). As many papers proved, it was entirely possible, even for those with early deadlines, to have a photo of Hillary rather than Bill available, whether it was the one with the Jumbotron or a photo from a previous event. Label it as a photo from another event if that is necessary.

"Clinton wins historic nod with boost from Sanders" with a photo of *Bill* Clinton is just sloppy journalism at best, IMO, outright sexism at worst.

• Like 4

Admittedly fascinating, if tremendously wrong-headed.

Surely, as I had to ask on my FB page when I mentioned this, we can have a discussion about the way in which this event was covered as a historic event without descending into the merits of individual candidates (and thus getting the thread locked). 

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

Won't acknowledge it at all--it comes out tomorrow. We have a once a week paper than covers things like kids' fishing tournaments, mountain bike races, winnings in bull riding, and 4-H leaders receiving awards. Last week the headline was about bike riders who are helping with a Habitat house!

Fair enough, knowing small town papers.  :) Perhaps I should have qualified it with "if your local paper covers national news."

I live in a rural area near two larger towns. Town #1 had a large photo of two female spectators hugging with sidebars of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

Town #2 literally had no acknowledgement at all of the DNC or the nomination on the front page. I think they may only cover local news.

Edited by Forget-me-not

The headline is: First Woman Nominee, Clinton Makes History.

The big picture is of some women hugging.  Farther down there is a picture of Bernie Sanders.  The story takes up most of the first page.

By contrast, the big city paper  has it in a small side bar (above the fold).  The headline is: All in for Clinton Historic Nomination.  It has a small picture of a bunch of signs with an H and an arrow.  The big story is about a big explosion (a local story); there was major property damage and one death.

Front page, above the fold but in a sidebar.  Reads, "Making History: Hilary Clinton becomes first female nominee for president"  Shows small headshot of Hillary smiling, and above (and relatively larger, but still not as large as main headline) is a picture of the smiling state delegates, casting their votes (and a caption that she got the majority of the delegates' votes).  Two short paragraphs are included, with a continuation on page A4.

Surely, as I had to ask on my FB page when I mentioned this, we can have a discussion about the way in which this event was covered as a historic event without descending into the merits of individual candidates (and thus getting the thread locked). 

I think Quill meant that the phenomenon was wrong-headed, not the choice of nominee. She can correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

The Vancouver paper only has a small text box in the margins: Hilary Clinton makes history at convention 

The National Post leads with the Australian children detainee abuse scandal & below the fold has a column titled: "Walkout mars Clinton's historic night"  (no picture)

Globe & Mail led with BC's tax for foreign real estate buyers. Below the fold they have a picture of people celebrating on the convention floor with the title "Clinton seals historic nomination" The actual story is inside. 

• Like 1

Above the fold (top of paper) was about Kaine: For Defense Interests, Kaine As VP is Tradeoff (Va legislator will give up his seat on Senate Armed Services Committee...)

Also above the fold (and below it too), the big front page story was about water contamination.

Bottom of front page is about sweaty firefighters  :lol:

In sidebar toward the bottom: Party Officially Picks Clinton...p.13

ETA: Daily Press in VA

Edited by jewellsmommy

I think Quill meant that the phenomenon was wrong-headed, not the choice of nominee. She can correct me if I'm wrong, though!

If that was the intent, my apologies to her. I made an assumption because I am dealing with relatives on FB who can't seem to understand the distinction.

• Like 2

Yes, that is what I meant. To place a picture of Bill, while declaring something like, "Clinton makes history" does strike me as so wrong-headed.

I am proud and do think it is SO very about time there was a female candidate for President, regardless of whatever I may think of the particular candidate.

• Like 1

I have no idea. I haven't held a physical newspaper in my hand in several years, and although I've been out to a few stores today that carry the local paper, I didn't look at it. As for their website, it's constantly changing and doesn't match the front page of the physical paper. A news website can give more timely information, but also can update that information more frequently. Late last night it had something about the nomination on the site's main page, but today they've moved on to local news. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

My dad was flip, flip, flipping through the paper one day and I asked what he was looking for. The stock market quotes! Um, Dad, we don't do those here. Now, if you want to know where the Boy Scouts camped last weekend, we can help you!

One time, the local newspaper came out to a friend's house where we were baking Christmas cookies. So, I did know there was possibly going to be a story in the paper about this, but there I was on the front page, top half! "Homeschoolers Bake Together for the Holidays." Earth-shaking news. :D

• Like 4

If you look at the headlines the day day Obama was elected, they all have his picture or his and Biden's picture. Why on earth would so many papers choose to use Bill's picture? I don't think it was purposely done, but it's subversive. "If you elect Hillary, you know who's really in charge" and it goes to show how strongly entrenched the sexism is. And it's worse because he was president first. I just think the inherent sexism...it's obvious that with everything else that is detracting from her candidacy, the sexism is still a much larger hurdle for her than anyone anticipated. I'm just shaking my head that almost no one said, "don't you think maybe the NOMINEE should be pictured here?

• Like 5

I don't get a paper, and found the suggestion to look at Poynter helpful.  

I wish people would word this correctly.  Hillary Clinton is the first to win her party's nomination to be their candidate for President.  And that is something!  

But other women have run as a candidate for a major party.  Elizabeth Dole comes to mind.  She ran in 2000.  Gloria Steinem campaigned against her.  "Not THAT woman."  

Ours is above the fold "Clinton wins history nod - with a boost from Sanders." The photo is rather large and is of a man in our state delegation cheering at the convention. There are thumbnail sized photos of Clinton and Sanders. 

LA Times 

Banner Headline (which are rarities): A Lock On History

Subtitle: Clinton claims Democratic nomination with primary wins—and a nod to long struggle for women's rights

Big photo of HRC. Also a smaller one of Bernie Sanders.

A smaller photo of Donald Trump in a side-bar story.

I'd say it was treated as a very historic occasion. The LA Times rarely goes as big.

Bill

• Like 3

Bill spoke last night. Hillary just made a quick video link appearance (it's traditional for presidential nominees to appear only on the last night of the convention.)

I think that we are seeing many pictures of him in part because he was a speaker and the pictures were taken at the convention. When she is the speaker on Thursday, they can take her picture. Stock pictures for a major paper on a major convention would be bad form. Some used a picture of the Jumbotron with the crowd watching.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Wall St. Journal had Bill's photo right below the headline :-)

I think someone wants to remind folks who else will be back in the White House if she is elected.

Yeah, but she ought to have strict control over who interns for her. :D

Personally, I would absolutely *have* to have a very gorgeous young male intern.