Menu

Off Campus Parking

TechWife

DS didn't get a campus parking space this year. Off campus lots range from $450 for a weekday space in a church parking lot to $800 for the gravel lot closest to his dorm. 

If he does the church lot, he has to remember to move it between 9 pm Friday and 7 pm Sunday, but parking is free on campus those days. The only problem would be home football games when he has to park in a remote lot with all of the thousands of other students who have to move their cars (his dorm is by the stadium). If he does a $600 lot, it is quite a walk and the lot is half paved, half unpaved, but he never has to move it. $800 for a gravel lot - really?? 

What are your students paying for parking? 

It's a three hour drive one-way and he will need to be home for medical appointments about once a month. 

My daughter commutes to campus and just paid $750 for the year for a parking garage that is literally right outside the main building that she has classes in.

My other daughter lives in a pretty major city.  On Campus parking is about $700 for the year for a parking garage. She lives off campus. Her apartment is literally across the street from the engineering building on campus and she pays $75 per month for an assigned parking garage spot.

Wow!

I guess we've been lucky -- and I never appreciated just how lucky! My older kids' college charged something like $75 per year for parking. Ds2 went a college with free parking. For her freshman year dd2 went to a college with expensive parking but she had a close relationship with a church near campus and parked there for free. Dd2 will live off-campus next year, but both her apartment and campus parking will be free.

I guess parents need to start adding exorbitant parking fees to the financial package!

Edited by Gwen in VA

My campus doesn't charge for parking, but it's has a smaller on campus population and a larger portion of commuter students. Each has several separte assigned lots. I'm not sure if the resident students are allowed to park in the commuter lots during class time and it can be a good hike from the dorms to farthest buildings. 

Where my older girls went to school, a parking permit for the dorm lots (only for people living on campus) was $130. A parking permit for commuters would cost from $130 to $580, depending on how far out the lots are. But no lots were very far out because the campus wasn't huge.

I'm sure parking is more expensive at the school where my youngest will be going in the fall, but she won't have a car, so we haven't looked into it at all. The school is right next to a train station that is an easy walking distance, so she will either take the train into the city or take the free shuttle bus from the campus to area shopping when she needs to.

Parking on my son's campus is $776 per year. If you carpool, it is $676 per year. My son is on an urban campus (Georgia Tech), and really doesn't need a car. If he needs one for something (out of town frat formals or retreat, going to UGA to visit friends), he gets one of his frat brothers to bring him home to get a car, or we pick him up, or a neighbor who works downtown picks him up, or he takes the public transport as far as it goes (not far enough, but that's a rant for a different thread) and we get him from the train station. We are only 35 minutes away, though. He only uses it a couple of times a year.

Parking is included in a transportation fee, not separated out by itself. Also included are (free to ride, student only) busses that take students from remote parking lot or dorm to building or grocery store. Commuter students are encouraged to carpool or use public transportation during peak hours.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Does his campus have zipcar? If he's only going to need to make a car trip occasionally, zipcar might be more economical than bring a vehicle to campus and paying to park it.

I'm isn't just the money that factors into it for him. He will need to come home every three or four weeks for medical appointments. It's a three hour drive, one way. If I had to pick him up and return him, it would mean 12 hours of driving for me. I'd like to avoid that if possible!

I'm isn't just the money that factors into it for him. He will need to come home every three or four weeks for medical appointments. It's a three hour drive, one way. If I had to pick him up and return him, it would mean 12 hours of driving for me. I'd like to avoid that if possible!

Which is why I suggested zipcar rather than no-car. It is a car-sharing membership. He could book a zipcar to drive home for his appointments. You can book them for as little as an hour and as long as 7 days, and participating campuses have them parked in convenient locations around campus. You pick up/drop off at one of these locations. http://www.zipcar.com/universities

• Like 2

Which is why I suggested zipcar rather than no-car. It is a car-sharing membership. He could book a zipcar to drive home for his appointments. You can book them for as little as an hour and as long as 7 days, and participating campuses have them parked in convenient locations around campus. You pick up/drop off at one of these locations. http://www.zipcar.com/universities

Zipcar isn't available on his campus. 

I'd go with the gravel lot. Close to his dorm, no worries about moving it. That's worth a few hundred in the scheme of things.

The local college is free.

The college I work for now is $80/semester.

DS will be a commuter, but we were looking at similar issues for him in 2017-2018. The range there is $150-800/year.

Edited by G5052