Menu

More "toy" ideas for kiddo super into building w/ legos

We've gotten my oldest legos for every bday and xmas for the last four years (his request). While he's very pleased with legos and plays with them daily, this means that he doesn't really have very many other age appropriate toys anymore, and I think sometimes he'd like to do *something* that's not legos.

We do have zoobs and magformers (with gears) and a spielgaben that he still enjoys playing with. He's almost 7 (but able to build fairly complex things -- his can easily do lego sets for older kids of around 1000 pieces) and I'm thinking about his next birthday. I don't mind things that use electronics, but I don't want video games. He loves, loves, loves to build and is always coming up with his own lego inventions.

What do you all suggest? I've looked at snap circuits, little bits, lego mindstorms ev3 (but I'd really rather do something non-lego at this point), erector sets, and k'nex machines. But I can't really find too many suggestions outside of those. Is that bc those really are the best and there's not much else on the market? Or is google just failing me lately?

Please note that we don't have smart phones, so all the cool toys I see that involve controlling it from your smart phone are a no-go.

TIA!! :)

Edited by deanna1ynne

K'nex ask different building skills then Lego in DD's opinion.

She got K'nex for many birthdays :)

Something 'total' different would be 'board games' in my opinion.

Not the easy children games, but things like settlers of Catan, or Carcassonne.

But we are heavy into board games :)

• Like 3

We actually do have lots of board games and I am a real game lover myself! But I'm looking for something that he can do and/or play with during our afternoon time when everyone has to do something relatively quiet and alone.

Edited by deanna1ynne
  • Like 1

Knex kits & extras. We liked bridge building challenges with them.

The kits like roller coaster were cool but a pain.

Snap circuits are awesome & totally different than lego, I highly recommend them.

Do you have magna tiles? Those are cool too.

The ev3 kits are awesome, but yours is probably too young to do those alone still. Wait a few years. Then find a robotics club:). Start saving now for high school level robotics

How about Playmobil? Not building toys, but we used them with blocks & built all sorts of elaborate historical towns, lol. Ds is a history buff though. Super cool & detailed.

Ds got lego & or playmobil for every holiday until 13:)

Now he gets other building & electronics stuff, lol- robotics, Arduino, etc

Hexbugs

toy soldiers

playdough

lite brite

art kits (Djeco) from Timberdoodle

logic games meant to be played alone like Solitaire Chess

Geo Puzzles

basketball, soccer ball, tennis ball

make a kit with supplies to go with the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction book

power tools, kits to build things

kits to paint (birdhouse, etc.)  My MIL finds them at Joanns

teach him to cook

videos of cooking, history, history channel series

digital camera

pull-up bar and other exercise equipment

puppets

Wii (we have the old kind)

logic games meant to be played alone like Solitaire Chess

just wanted to say that my guy loves Solitaire Chess! My mom got it for him last year (i'd never even heard of it!), and I thought he'd hate it, but he really liked it. Originally, my plan was to get him a real chess set for his bday, but then I realized that he doesn't really have many other toys anymore. So I think we'll just get chess for the family and get him something else for his bday. :)

Zometools!

Can you tell if these are different from the ones in this picture that we already have?

https://www.spielgaben.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/V4-2and8.jpg?b2e2a1

ETA Upon closer inspection, it looks like the zometools may have more holes around the middle (mine have eight) of each ball, but it's hard to tell, because the zometool balls are *all* holes, but many of those holes seem like they won't fit the rods (unless the rods have a variety of shapes on the end).

Edited by deanna1ynne

We got it.  It's a little clunky.  I see why it ought to work, but it's a little clunky. Maybe it would be better later?  Could just be us. Ds has enough SN, that sometimes it's just him or a timing thing.

K'nex ask different building skills then Lego in DD's opinion.

She got K'nex for many birthdays :)

My son is heavily into board games too.  Or card games. Two recent favorites are Rat-a-tat-cat and Sushi Go.

For board games -- Life, Labryinth, Dominion.

• Like 1

Another vote for snap circuits, we have the glow in the dark and a regular set, kids love it.

And Keva planks are really neat too. We got the cheaper set in Amazon (not the Keva brand which are pricey!). Have enjoyed them for years, have had no issues with quality.

Another vote for Kapla.  My 8yo is similarly enamoured with LEGO.  We've had Kapla planks since he was 4.  They get daily play.  The shape of the plank lends itself to very complex constructions and creativity.  Benjamin Crouzier has some phenomenal youtube videos of Kapla creations.

We also had a small set of Keva pine.  The quality of these was much inferior to the Kapla brand - Several of our Kevas were warped and not quite even lengths.  For this toy (like LEGO) precision matters.  The kids call them the "megablocks kaplas".    We got rid of them.     I don't have any experience with Keva maple, I expect they are better quality (certainly they are more expensive than the keva pine).

Does anyone have experience with "educational" k'nex vs "normal" k'nex? We bought this set
https://www.amazon.com/KNEX-70-Model-Building-Set/dp/B00HROBJXY/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1468691254&sr=1-3&keywords=k%27nex

But it came and it just doesn't seem like very much (we thought the box would look... full. Like it does in the pic. The box is less than a quarter full, however....) so were considering getting a second set before his bday rolls around. I just wondered how this kind of building set compares to something like these:
http://www.educatorsoutlet.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18

Edited by deanna1ynne