Menu

"I don't want to homeschool anymore" - JAWM

Chocomom63

Yes, my dd (age 12) told me that on Saturday.  I knew that the days of homeschooling were getting limited once oldest dd went to ps, but it's real now.  And while I'm fairly okay with it...I'm not.  Why?  She and her twin sister are.my.babies.!!  Yeah, I know this is the way it works, and the Kleenex truck backs up whenever a kid leaves the nest, but I'm not really ready to let my babies go.  Well, are we ever?  Probably not.  So, I just need a hug and someone to say that I'll live through it and everything will be okay because it probably will be (their sister has flourished in ps), but I'm always anxious and never sure whenever these big changes come around.  FWIW - I've been a SAHM for 30 years and homeschooling for almost 22 of those so this is a BIG transition for me and it's going to take some time to wrap my head around it all.  It's hard enough to believe my oldest son is 30 for cripessake!  Anyway, no questions or seeking advice...just needing to say all that out loud because there's no one else to say it to who'll understand.  Thanks for listening.  

• Like 16

Sorry!  :grouphug:

This is my last year to HS, my 12 year old will go to school next year.  But, I am happy about it.  I have been "done" for a while now, mentally.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

A big hug to you!  My eldest went to PS for high school, so a bit older. It was So Hard, but I can see that he was making the right decision for him. It's been fine and, honestly, I've been sort of glad to transition away from being his parent and primary teacher to being a parent and occasional teacher (we still sometimes jump in).  My younger is about to start his 6th year of school and is already talking about when he goes off to high school. Every time he does my stomach gives a little lurch.

It's so hard/wonderful to watch our babies grow up

• Like 3

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

This is probably going to be our last year HSing since I'm hoping to attend grad school in Fall '17. We always planned to go K-8 and then do B&M high school or early college. But it's looking like DS will attend a B&M middle school.

• Like 1

Ours are going to school in the fall, too. Homeschooling was great for us, but we know the school they're going to will be great, too.

I'm trying to keep the summer fun, and expect to deal with my emotions when they get on the bus.

• Like 2

:grouphug:

I had always planned on homeschooling mine all the way but my then-teens had other ideas. The grief is real. It's like losing something you never had.

Please be kind to yourself. Don't rush into working outside the home if at all possible--give yourself a bit of margin to rest and regroup.

I'm not sure if you're a Christian or not. I'm not, but IIRC there is a verse somewhere in there about "Well done, good and faithful servant" that you might want to read and meditate on instead of rushing for the "help wanted" ads.

:grouphug:

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

When my youngest started high school at public school two years ago I realized how much of my identity was tied up with being a home school mom. It is hard, but good to focus more on having my own business, which is what I always wanted.

There was a woman on the old boards who owned a pizza place and home schooled, but owning the restaurants and home schooling would never have worked, so I'm glad dd likes ps. She did tell me she is super glad she was home schooled through junior high, because the things she has learned about junior high make her very glad she didn't go, lol.

• Like 1

My heart hurts for you. Our second of four children is leaving for college in the fall and this transition is hard for me. I will still have two at home and so far they aren't showing any signs of wanting to go to school but the end is coming.

I hope everything works out well for your dd!

• Like 1

We home school through 8th, so this is my last year. There are things I'll miss, but mostly I'm excited to move on. I'm still involved in my kids' education--I tutor my high schooler in math, we're doing a read-aloud this summer while the schedule is less crazy, and we're reading some American history to get ready for our vacation to Boston/NYC. I won't miss nagging my rising 8th grader to get her work done--she works much better for outside teachers.

• Like 1

Ooooo! I feel for you. :(

I just dropped off some books at a local homeschool store and got teary-eyed thinking about how we're another year down. Part of me wanted to hug those books close to my chest and make time go backward so we could re-do the last year. But time marches on.

I am scared of the day we stop school and the kids fly out of the nest. I try to be strong, but I think it will very, very hard. I feel for you.

• Like 1

Oh wow - thank you ALL sooooo much for all your kind words, hugs, and support!!  My heart is full (and my eyes too) so I'm at a loss for words at the moment.  But thanks and my hugs to all of you transitioning too.  

Garga - I am so with you on the book thing!  I am actually keeping some of the favorites back to read to grandchildren some day. Just can't bear to part with them.

Half my kids will be out of the nest by October this year.  One graduated from college in May and he is moving to the west coast in August.  Two others will be moving out on their own as well.  So, this year is a lot of change for me and I'm really feeling the immenseness of it all.  

Anyway, thank you again for listening and sharing.  Nice to know I have some support in all this.

Maybe she'll go to school for a week, get sick of being treated with suspicion and micromanaged, decide she hates the mean girls, and want to come back home.

Not likely. :-P

FWIW - school has been a good thing for my oldest dd so far and I believe my other girls will be fine too.  The teachers have been able to help and guide where I just couldn't.  I'm glad for that. 

Yeah.  My youngest (11yo) will be going to school next year.  It's a REALLY good school, and I know she'll rock their world.  And, I know that I really should start getting rid of books and other homeschooling supplies, but I just can't!  I'm not ready yet.  It may take a whole school year to accept that, yes, that's our new life.  Part of me just wants to hold onto the possibility that she'll want to come back home next year, or the year after, or maybe high school.  .  .

• Like 1