Menu

Are rosary chains supposed to be worn like jewelry?

Seasider

I was browsing a clothing catalogue today and there was a model wearing a rosary like a necklace. The merchandise being advertised was not just the shirt, but the rosary as well. It was not a religious merchandiser, it was totally a mail order clothing company.

I didn't think a rosary was supposed to be worn as jewelry?

They're not religiously speaking to my knowledge, but I know Madonna did it back in the 80's so it is definitely nothing new as a fashion trend.

They're not religiously speaking to my knowledge, but I know Madonna did it back in the 80's so it is definitely nothing new as a fashion trend.

I remember that but this catalogue was for a much different marketing demographic. It caught my eye because it didn't look trendy, just....wrong.

It's been many years since I left the Catholic Church but unless there's been a major change (which I'm pretty sure there hasn't), then no. However, that really only applies to Catholics. Any non-Catholic could wear them that way if they wanted to.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

No, they are not. They are used to count the prayers said. That non-Catholics wear them only means that they do not understand their significance (or that they're purposely trying to mock the Church, but I wouldn't know that for sure...)

• Like 7

No, they are not. They are used to count the prayers said. That non-Catholics wear them only means that they do not understand their significance (or that they're purposely trying to mock the Church, but I wouldn't know that for sure...)

Thanks Ellie. I understand their use as prayer counters, I just never remember seeing any Catholic person I know wearing one in the same way jewelry is worn.

No it's not. It's something we use to pray one of our most beautiful and strongest prayers. I find it disrespectful to wear it, regardless of if you are Catholic or not. I wouldn't wear an important item/piece of clothing or anything that has a high significant value to other religions, just because I like it and find it "cute" :(

• Like 3

There is an exception made for active military members in combat who might not otherwise be able to carry a rosary with them in a pocket.

ETA:  Here is an article- http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur365.htm  

It looks like wearing a rosary is not strictly forbidden by any part of the CCC, but since chances are people are not wearing them for the right reasons, it is frowned upon.  A rosary worn for "decoration" is a definite no-no.

• Like 1

There is an exception made for active military members in combat who might not otherwise be able to carry a rosary with them in a pocket.

ETA: Here is an article- http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur365.htm

It looks like wearing a rosary is not strictly forbidden by any part of the CCC, but since chances are people are not wearing them for the right reasons, it is frowned upon. A rosary worn for "decoration" is a definite no-no.

Thanks for the link! That article was really interesting!

• Like 2

No it's not. It's something we use to pray one of our most beautiful and strongest prayers. I find it disrespectful to wear it, regardless of if you are Catholic or not. I wouldn't wear an important item/piece of clothing or anything that has a high significant value to other religions, just because I like it and find it "cute" :(

This. And Ellie's post too, can't double quote on phone.

Muslim prayer beads would be another example of something not to wear as a clothing accessory.

• Like 1

I'm not Catholic and this is how I think about it too.  I wouldn't wear a Kippah as a decorative headpiece either.

• Like 3

Sometimes clothing catalogues sell some weird accessories.

I think it's odd to use religious items like that for fashion.  But if someone uses it often, I would not particularly be surprised to see them carry it around that way, whether it is technically within the rules or not.  It's a fairly logical way to keep it close.

It could be a cross necklace that looks very much like a rosary. I just noticed the upper-most necklace on this Macy's website, and the design is very similar to a rosary and it's being marketed as a necklace. http://www1.macys.com/shop/b/cross-necklaces-for-women/Pageindex,Productsperpage/1,40?id=71430

Not good. Boarders on being completely ignorant of the use of a rosary.

I'm not Catholic, but I did know a nun who wore them around her neck, and who would give me one and hang it around my neck every time I saw her.

I am certain she actually used them for prayer and not as a form of adornment however.

• Like 1