Menu

Anne of Green Gables, but Younger?

momacacia

Is there a book or book series somewhat similar to Anne of Green Gables, but for a 7yo? Just a storyline about a little girl(s), sweet, etc. (She just completed the Bobsey Twins)

Oldest has gone through all the American Girl series', and frankly I just need a break from seeing AG around. ;) Anything else out there?

This probably doesn't fall exactly into the category you are looking for, but around the time my dds were reading AG, they also loved Gooney Bird Greene.  I think there only 3-4 books, though.  

Other suggestions:  All of a Kind Family and the Penderwicks, maybe?

eta:  I just checked Amazon, and there are about 6 Gooney Bird books.

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 3

There's also Rebecca Of Sunnybrook Farm.  It was one of my favorites.  And Pollyanna, oh, and the Katy books - What Katy Did, What Katy Did Next, What Katy Did At School.  I cannot remember the age range for the Katy books, though they're on Project Gutenberg if you want to check them out.

• Like 1

These are not all historical. However, they are all realistic fiction (well, excepting Unusual Chickens, which is sort of magical realism) that I consider appropriate for a 7 year old and that I think many children that age would enjoy.

Year of the Dog (three books)

Gaby, Lost and Found (a bit more serious themes)

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer

Audrey of the Outback (three books)

Bo at Ballard Creek (two books thus far)

Ramona Quimby (um... several books?)

Clementine (lots of books)

How Tia Lola Came to Stay (several books, shorter than most of the ones I suggested)

All-of-a-Kind Family (several books)

The Saturdays (I dunno, three or four books?)

Dash (part of a now-up-to-three books series on dogs of WWII. The author found a niche and is good at it!)

The Year of the Book (three or four book series)

The Birchbark House (there should be a new one coming out this summer, I think)

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything (two books)

Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School (Male main character)

Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (all male main characters)

Seaglass Summer (very gentle book)

One Crazy Summer (touches on some older themes, you may want to pre-read)

A Pickpocket's Tale

The Mighty Miss Malone

As always, you and I may disagree about what is and is not appropriate for a 7 year old. You know your child best, and it's up to you to do your own research and pre-reading.

• Like 1

Betsy-Tacy? In the first book they turn 5 right at the start of the book. By the end of the 4th book they are maybe high school or middle school aged.

Definitely Betsy-Tacy! (I just mentioned in another thread the other day that this is my all-time favorite children's book. Highly recommend! Just so, so sweet and beautiful writing.) 

• Like 1

OT - I personally enjoyed Anne of Green Gables when I read it with my then sixth-grade son, but I could not stomach the Box Car Children stopping after the first book. The kids might have liked it, but they were way too sweet for my old NY, cynical self, lol. If they wanted more of those, they had to read them themselves (and they didn't). The Penderwicks fell flat with my boys this past year, but I thought it was cute while a bit overlong.  Oh well. At least it wasn't Esperanza Rising - that was the worst read aloud ever according to my boys. We actually compare all reads aloud duds to it and nothing (yet) has dethroned it's worst ever placing. 

Edited by J&JMom

I could not stomach the Box Car Children stopping after the first book.

Most of the series was ghostwritten anyway, and there are enormous continuity errors all up and down, along with the usual problems you expect from mass extruded book products. So you're not missing out.

There are several series of books that were so much fun that I remember them from when I was young that haven't been mentioned yet.

Lois Lenski's books (i.e. Strawberry Girl)

The Littles by Peterson

Wizard of Oz (lots of followup books) by Baum

The Latsch Valley books (i.e. First Farm in the Valley) by Anna Pellowski

Caddie Woodlawn by Brink

The Borrowers by Norton

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by MacDonald

Secret Garden & Little Princess by Burnett

Moffat series by Estes

Mary Poppins series by Travers

Any E.B. White book

Homer Price books by McCloskey

Pippi Longstocking books by Lindgren