Menu

What book to start with?

sagira

I want to start reading a "real book" to ds (5). So far we've been reading lots and lots and lots of picture books, together with some short books with limited pictures. I've also been reading The Boy and the Whale (Spanish author) to him in English and I have read a full-length book in Papiamento (our native language) when he was four.

Which book can I start him off with? There are so many, but I don't know which one will be appropriate and interesting enough without pictures, short chapters, no really difficult words but no twaddle either. I have Honey for a Child's Heart, but there are mostly picture books for 4-8.

Dh has tried Treasure Island but that was way over ds' head.

:bigear:

I just asked and my boys (specifically my just turned 6 year old) recommended:

Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Castle in the Attic, and The BFG. This was after I told him not to count Hank the Cowdog (which are all the boys' favorites, including dh, but they aren't exactly fine literature. Hysterical? Yes. Quality Brain Expanding literature? No.).

Of the 3 he picked, I would say that Mr. Popper's Penguins would be the number 1 recommendation I'd give. I enjoyed the others, but Mr. Popper's Penguins had the most consistently engaging story line.

A long time ago (4+ years ago), I read The Indian in the Cupboard to my older 2 boys and they enjoyed it then.

I just asked and my boys (specifically my just turned 6 year old) recommended:

Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Castle in the Attic, and The BFG. This was after I told him not to count Hank the Cowdog (which are all the boys' favorites, including dh, but they aren't exactly fine literature. Hysterical? Yes. Quality Brain Expanding literature? No.).

Thanks. What's the BFG?

I think both the Sonlight and VP catalogs have some great recommendations for read-alouds, if you look up the proper age/grade. We're not there yet, but definitely plan on using some of their recommendations.

BFG--Big Friendly Giant, by Roald Dahl. The first chapters are scary for a sensitive child, but then it's typical, gross, funny Dahl.

How about Little House in the Big Woods?

Or Mary Pope Osborne's version of The Odyssey? (It's in several volumes--gruesome in parts, but deliciously so.)

Thank you! I think I will either go with Mr. Popper's Penguins or Dr. Doolittle -- ds loves animals!

Oh, and the reason I don't know about books at this age level too much is that I grew up reading books at this level in Dutch (in another country). You guys are a big help! I was probably reading books at this level at 13, but I'm not sure :)

Mr Popper's Penquins is hysterically funny--and so for my son, it was far, far too stimulating for bed-time! But your little fellow may be different--so I hope you enjoy whatever you pick!

Ambelside On-line is another great source for excellent read-alouds. One caveat: unless your little one would be willing to read the book gain, try not to read selections you will want him to either read on his own or study in future.

My girls are 4 and almost 3, and we have read Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Wind in the Willows (abridged), Winnie the Pooh (the original), and are now stalled in The Cricket in Times Square. We have also listened to the audiobook of Mr. Popper's Penguins. Their favorites have been Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and Mr. Popper's Penguins. The others, I think, were hard for them because of the vocabulary and the British-ness of the language. However, I am too stubborn to quit reading once we begin, so I finish because I'm interested in the story.:tongue_smilie:

Both my kids loved, loved, loved The Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins and The Cricket in Times Square for our early longer read-alouds. The language in The Wind in the Willows is more difficult, but they really liked it, too. We've since listened to most of them again (and again and again) on CD.

Enjoy your reading!

Jeanette

1MoreThought on our homeschool adventure ...

I have Charlotte's Web, The Cricket in Times Square and Little House in the Big Woods ready for next year! Like someone here says, "So many books, so little time." :D

Wow, so many suggestions -- thank you!

We loved the My Father's Dragon books. They seemed to be a good step into story books. I got a little too ambitious with our read aloud's lately so we went back to the classic Winnie the Pooh. It is going quite well and I am really enjoying rereading them!

BFG--Big Friendly Giant, by Roald Dahl. The first chapters are scary for a sensitive child, but then it's typical, gross, funny Dahl.
This is a wonderful read-aloud. Something magic happens when you're reading that book, and you turn into a storyteller without equal.

Charlotte's Web or Trumpet of the Swan.

We started with Charlotte's Web. I think that picking a book depends on your child and how well he deals with scary things and his attention span. I highly encourage parents to pre-read the book to determine whether it would be suitable. There is no way I could have started with the BFG for my son without skipping over quite a bit because of the frightening aunties, etc. And I find that some of the classics do not hold attention spans well because of the language.

Another quick suggestion: The Cricket in Times Square.

Got to go, the baby calls!

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Shadrach

A Bear Called Paddington

Winnie the Pooh

House at Pooh Corner

My Father’s Dragon

Pippi Longstocking

Little House in the Big Woods

Charlotte’s Web

Pinocchio

St. George and the Dragon

Peter Pan

Mr Popper's Penquins is hysterically funny--and so for my son, it was far, far too stimulating for bed-time! But your little fellow may be different--so I hope you enjoy whatever you pick!

Ambelside On-line is another great source for excellent read-alouds. One caveat: unless your little one would be willing to read the book gain, try not to read selections you will want him to either read on his own or study in future.

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking the same thing, so I'm making a list of the ones to read in K for Literature read-aloud time (bedtime we'll do other ones, like Bible stories, picture books) and I'm keeping a separate list for next year, like Charlotte's Web.

We have such a marvelous group here :grouphug:

Or Mary Pope Osborne's version of The Odyssey? (It's in several volumes--gruesome in parts, but deliciously so.)

Ooh, I'm saving this one for next year as we're doing SOTW1: The Ancients :drool:

She's the author of the Magic Treehouse series, eh?

Sheila Burnford's Incredible Journey? It's the basis for the Disney "Homeward Bound," but without humanizing the characters so much and with a beautiful description of the relationships between the animals. Dd 5 and I read through it when she was 4. If he needs more pictures, there are always Marguerite Henry's horse books. They may not be the best literature, but they're historical novels, they usually involve boys and animals, and the frequent pictures might make a good transition to staring at nothing but words.

In any case, have fun!! :)

Mama Anna

I would reccomend the Brambley Hedge series. Though it does have illustrations (which are wonderful, by the way) I would not call it a picture book. It is a chapter book, but would be a great transitional series. We only read Sea Story so far out of the series, but we all love it.

I also suggest Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant.

Some of the first chapter books my ds sat through (around age 5) were Little House in the Big Woods and The Borrowers.

I agree with Mr. Popper's Penguins. Great choice! Read-aloud time is still one of the highlights of my children's day. With 5 children (ages 11 - 17), we've covered numerous books over the years! A few others I'd think about for a boy would be Homer Price, some of the Beverly Cleary books like Ribsy, A Cricket in Times Square, or one of the old Thornton Burgess books. If your son doesn't seem to be interested in a book after a few chapters, I'd put it aside and try something else. Also, be sure you consider the length of the chapters. It's far better to stop reading and have him beg for "just one more chapter" than to heave a sigh of relief when the section is finally over!

Good luck! I hope your read-aloud times will become as treasured as mine are.

Yvonne

Oh my, thank you so much everyone :blush:

I'm sure we will have a wonderful experience, with so many quality books to choose from :)

I have compiled a list now, and plan to use it for all the early grades.