Menu

What to make with the following vegetables?

chopped/sliced red onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash.  I'm hoping for ideas that go beyond the normal stir-fry.  If you suggest sauteing them, I want to know what you would combine it with to make a full meal. 

edited to fix a stupid spelling mistake

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

vege fajitas (grilled or sauted), make some spanish rice on the side or serve as fajita bowls

Grilled vege sandwich on some french bread with some melted cheese and condiments of your choice

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 4

Throw them in the oven over a bed of quinoa and chicken stock. Cover it while it's cooking.

We like mushrooms, squash and zucchini grilled. Usually put the mushrooms on skewers. Then serve it with bread and salad.

Either of those I'd serve with fish, too. Usually salmon on the grill or in the oven.

And yes to fajitas! Always popular.

• Like 1

Those ingredients are what I use to make roastedveggie enchiladas. I chop them into smallish pieces and roast them in the oven with olive oil and s&p. I usually throw in some cherry tomatoes and corn, but it isn't necessary. When they are done I add lime juice and a bit of cilantro. Roll them in corn tortillas with a bit of cheese (for some) and I top with tomatillo sauce.

We usually have beans, rice, and fresh avocado with them...

• Like 3

Mushrooms and onions--into a pasta dish.  Saute them in olive oil, pour into a heavy bowl with slices of cream cheese on the bottom (the heat will soften the cream cheese.)  Add cooked spaghetti noodles or little shells, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder, toss thoroughly and serve.  

Squashes--sliver and steam to half done, season with white pepper, oregano, and sweet basil.  Serve as a side dish.

• Like 1

I'd use them in an omelet or frittata.  Or I'd serve them over something like bratwurst in buns. Or if it was just me (not feeding my dh), I'd roast or saute all of them, then toss them over brown rice, and add some sort of salad dressing (balsamic viniagrette).  Yum!

• Like 1

Roasted veggies! Slice everything up, drizzle with some olive oil and season (I like S&P, garlic, and an all-purpose seasoning blend) and roast at 350 for 20 minutes or so.

Lana

I was going to say roast them.  (In fact, I have squash and mushrooms roasting right now.)

We're having our veggies with leftover chicken & dumplings...but they'd be really good rolled up in tortillas, too.

• Like 1

Add the sautéed veggies and garlic to ground beef, one can diced tomatoes, one small can tomato sauce, a teaspoon each of Italian seasoning and salt. Simmer together for a few minutes.

Option one: serve over rice.

Option two: cook two cups macaroni, drain and stir in above mixture till well combined. Pass the Parmesan.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1