Menu

Please pray

MamaBearTeacher

my 14-year old can't sleep. He didn't sleep last night and he can't sleep now. He was doing well but started giggling yesterday night and could not stop and then he lay down quietly late at night but did not sleep. He giggled for about an hour in the morning and then started moaning really loudly. His eyes look really tired. I am making him stay in his bed which he is mostly cooperating with but he keeps going back to his "on alert" posture where he raises his head and stares around the room. He won't relax. He also keeps alternating between giggling and moaning super loud. He so badly needs to relax and sleep. (He has special needs and is nonverbal.)

It's going to be a long day. Listening to the alternating giggling and moaning is awful. It's very loud and earplugs don't help. Anyways, it's more of an emotional awful. He sounds so so sad. Over the years I have worked hard at staying happy, efficient and productive but when there's moaning it's just so hard. He had had about 2 weeks of happy and smiling at jokes, whipping through our homeschooling and just when I was beginning to feel like the moaning was a thing of the past it started again. Ugh!

Please pray for better sleep for my son and for his body to be working better so he can live life to his potential rather than always having to cope.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

That sounds terribly frustrating. I hope you get some tools/answers soon! I like Jean's suggestions if they are okay with the doc. We didn't find melatonin to be a good long-term solution for sleep, but it does help on a sometimes basis (esp. with travel disruptions). 

I will pray.

My son has severe sleep problems--staying up until the next morning in phases and wild/giggling in those times. He does have autism and ADHD. Though he's verbal, he can't explain to me what's going on outside of his brain won't stop. It's so upsetting and sad.

It sounds like your guy might be sick. :crying: 

If you have a lot of sleep issues like this....we're working with a sleep medicine team who specialize in kids with special needs. My son has multiple things going on, but right now we're centering on techniques to get his body clock in sync with more normal sleep times and feel tired enough to fall asleep at reasonable hours. It's helping. I can share with you what we're doing if you think it might be useful.

I will pray.

My son has severe sleep problems--staying up until the next morning in phases and wild/giggling in those times. He does have autism and ADHD. Though he's verbal, he can't explain to me what's going on outside of his brain won't stop. It's so upsetting and sad.

It sounds like your guy might be sick. :crying:

If you have a lot of sleep issues like this....we're working with a sleep medicine team who specialize in kids with special needs. My son has multiple things going on, but right now we're centering on techniques to get his body clock in sync with more normal sleep times and feel tired enough to fall asleep at reasonable hours. It's helping. I can share with you what we're doing if you think it might be useful.

Thanks sbgrace. has your son always had this or did it start in adolescence? My son started sleeping in after 13. Sometimes he will sleep 14 hours a night for a few nights and other times it is hard to get him to bed. I would be interested in what you are doing. You can pm me if you want.