Menu

A different question about teen jobs...how to get the job

HeWillSoar

My son is thinking about stocking at a grocery store so DH was going to take him around to pick up applications.  I was telling a friend that I suggested my son get a hair cut (it's long, curly and wild right now) to help his chances of landing a job when he puts in his applications and she said it was all done online now.  Has that been your kid's experience?  Do they not go in and pick up an application anymore?  Gosh, I must be getting old.  Any other tips on how to help a teen land a first job? 

Edited by HeWillSoar

I'd suggest dressing neatly, do the application kiosk or go online. Then follow by stopping by the store at a nonbusy time and touching base with a manager.

Does your ds have any friends or contact working at one of these place who could suggest him. Applications often aren't considered in order of when they were received, but by which application got a nudge to be noticed.

Good luck. That first job can seem really hard to get.

• Like 1

Target has application kiosk in most stores. Safeway supermarket, McDonalds and some others have the applicant use the shift manager's laptop to do the online job application.

Here Target, Petsmart, PetCo, sports shops hire teens. Supermarkets and fast food staff are mainly ladies around my age. Look at your local stores and see which ones have teen staff.

• Like 1

Someone told me that with online applications many get tossed if there are any limitations on availability and to get past the online portion you have to say you are available anytime. Then you can explain any limitations in person.

My dh has done a lot of job hunting and now I have two teens doing it. I dislike the human factor being removed with the online apps. It can be hard to get through the online mass of applications.

• Like 3

In ds' experience, most places won't even talk to you unless you first fill out an application online. The exception might be mom and pop stores, but in our area most of them don't hire many people because they can't afford it. Pretty much any chain wants you to fill one out online before you go to see a manager in the store. 

If any of you have a smart phone or tablet there are some job search apps where you can filter by location (and how many miles you're willing to go for work), part time/full time, professional, etc. The two ds has been using are Indeed Job Search and Snag a Job. I don't know if there are computer versions but I do know there are apps for both Android systems and Apple.

Hair - ugh! Ds won't cut his and I keep telling him it's affecting his ability to get hired. I have agreed with him that it's not right, but it is what it is. It's a bone of contention with us at this point. 

Mine printed the application from the website and went in and handed it in in person. Because he's not yet 14 it's a volunteer position this year, but he completed the application as if he would be getting paid. It was professional, and good experience.

If yours has volunteer experience definitely have him include that, even if it's babysitting or helping at co-op or something else seemingly unrelated. At this age, all experience is valuable and ought to be included, IMO. I was surprised by how much mine was able to include, and how well it tied in to the position.

I would still suggest taming the hair since he'll hopefully have an interview and um...a job. Long hair is probably fine, but unruly maybe doesn't send the right message. He'll want to use this job to launch others in the future. I'm not one to bend to status quo just to do, but this can be a valuable lesson that appearances to matter to some degree.

Good luck to him!

• Like 1

I think so long as the hair is clean and mostly neat it'll be fine.  I don't see why he needs to cut it to work in a grocery store. 

Publix is THE grocery store to work at around here if you are going to work at a grocery store. They have Disney-like requirements, including short hair for males. 

• Like 1

Yes, online apps are the norm, as are those insane personality tests that you have to complete.  The ones with no good answers, you just have to pick what you think is the lesser of two bad choices :/  I despise the job hunting process right now.  One of my 15yr olds lucked up and applied at a local thrift store..first application, first interview, and they want her to start as soon as she turns 16 (in a couple of weeks).  My other 15yr old has filled out a blue-million online applications, and has had one call back:  Olive Garden.  

• Like 2

Yes, online apps are the norm, as are those insane personality tests that you have to complete.  The ones with no good answers, you just have to pick what you think is the lesser of two bad choices :/  I despise the job hunting process right now.  One of my 15yr olds lucked up and applied at a local thrift store..first application, first interview, and they want her to start as soon as she turns 16 (in a couple of weeks).  My other 15yr old has filled out a blue-million online applications, and has had one call back:  Olive Garden.  

Haha...although that's nothing new.  I have been asked to fill out crap like that for various low paying jobs.  I always think why doesn't the business just pay a little better rather than buy some stupid test to administer to their minimum wage employees.

• Like 1

Publix is THE grocery store to work at around here if you are going to work at a grocery store. They have Disney-like requirements, including short hair for males. 

Ah ok.  See i live in a fairly liberal area so most people don't get hung up on this stuff.  I forget that other places aren't like where I live.

• Like 4

Ah ok.  See i live in a fairly liberal area so most people don't get hung up on this stuff.  I forget that other places aren't like where I live.

I heard Publix is moving to my area. It will be interesting to see if they can keep those requirements.

Facial hair is also an issue. I don't know what ever became of this but I can say I've never seen anyone with facial hair in the several Publix stores I frequent.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-publix-facial-hair-20150529-story.html

• Like 1

Facial hair is also an issue. I don't know what ever became of this but I can say I've never seen anyone with facial hair in the several Publix stores I frequent.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-publix-facial-hair-20150529-story.html

I think the only time I'd not be thrilled about a long beard on an employee would be someone who preps food (and doesn't cover the beard). 

Otherwise, who cares.

What I always found really weird was when I worked in fast food we were all required to wear hats (that's not the weird part).  Except management.  They didn't wear hats.  They did all the same jobs, but no hats.  I guess when one becomes a manager their hair magically never falls out.

• Like 2

Online apps are the thing now, but I don't think they always get the job.  DD has a friend, boy 17 who has been trying to get a Home Depot job.  Even after he filled out the app, he went in once a week to say hello and check in with the manager.  He just got offered the job!

• Like 2

Yep, my son found that all of the applications are online, with the exception of some performance-oriented things. 

My son targeted businesses and positions that have some relationship to his particular interests and skills. He also had a ton of volunteer hours with a couple of well-known, local organizations. We sat down together, and I showed him how to write resumes to fit specific job listings. 

He began applying for summer jobs in early March and has submitted about 10 applications. Over the last couple of weeks, he's been offered three interviews. He went to the first one on Tuesday and was offered a job yesterday.

I can't speak to the hair thing, since my own son is (by his own preference) very clean cut looking. I suspect it depends on where you live and what kinds of jobs your son is applying for how picky an employer will be about something like hair, but it certainly couldn't hut to make sure he pulls it back neatly before heading out to interviews or to meet potential employers.

This is a great reminder about facial hair. I let my kids do their own thing with their hair and it doesn't bother me at all so I didn't even think of it. But I know my 16 yo would rather have a job than a beard. We just wouldn't have thought of it and Publix is on his list of possibilities.

I don't make hair an issue either.  My thinking is a clean cut look won't hurt whereas the long, crazy hair with beard just might and why not try to up your chances?

I don't make hair an issue either. My thinking is a clean cut look won't hurt whereas the long, crazy hair with beard just might and why not try to up your chances?

Beard might on a teen. However I have seen many staff of all ages with long hair in a ponytail at Trader Joes, Lowes, Home Depot. They are doing cashier and restocking work.

If he is free in the mornings, check out Parks & Recreations as well as YMCA. They hire a few teens around here for admin/filing work.

• Like 1

What I always found really weird was when I worked in fast food we were all required to wear hats (that's not the weird part).  Except management.  They didn't wear hats.  They did all the same jobs, but no hats.  I guess when one becomes a manager their hair magically never falls out.

Of course! It's one of the perks of being a manger.   ;)

Online apps are the thing now, but I don't think they always get the job.  DD has a friend, boy 17 who has been trying to get a Home Depot job.  Even after he filled out the app, he went in once a week to say hello and check in with the manager.  He just got offered the job!

Ds filled out an online application after seeing a sign on the door of our local Home Depot saying they're hiring. When he talked to a manager they said they get no say in who they interview. They can decide who to hire, but corporate looks through the applications and sends them potential employees. I don't think that's such a good thing taking out the human aspect, as a pp said.

Yep, my son found that all of the applications are online, with the exception of some performance-oriented things.

One of our Walgreens stores is hiring. The manager told him to fill out an application online then come in for a skills assessment. I guess that's the part they handle in the store itself.

My son is thinking about stocking at a grocery store so DH was going to take him around to pick up applications.  I was telling a friend that I suggested my son get a hair cut (it's long, curly and wild right now) to help his chances of landing a job when he puts in his applications and she said it was all done online now.  Has that been your kid's experience?  Do they not go in and pick up an application anymore?  Gosh, I must be getting old.  Any other tips on how to help a teen land a first job? 

I guess it depends on the place.  When DD got her first job, it was because they were seeking homeschooled applicants. (Chick FilA)  If the place does do IRL applications, I'd choose to go in and make that in person appearance and impression.  It gives you a leg up.  I know our local grocery store and our semi-local both do face to face apps.  The semi-local calls management when someone returns an app so they can judge if they are friendly, eager, smiling, personal appearance, etc.

Choose your references wisely - people who can speak well on the phone, who will fill out the reference form or return the call, or that have a positive connection to the place.  DS got hired through his sister. ;)

DS went to an internship interview today but the app was all online.  References / strength of application was the first hurdle, then a panel interview for the second part.  

In ds' experience, most places won't even talk to you unless you first fill out an application online. The exception might be mom and pop stores, but in our area most of them don't hire many people because they can't afford it. Pretty much any chain wants you to fill one out online before you go to see a manager in the store. 

If any of you have a smart phone or tablet there are some job search apps where you can filter by location (and how many miles you're willing to go for work), part time/full time, professional, etc. The two ds has been using are Indeed Job Search and Snag a Job. I don't know if there are computer versions but I do know there are apps for both Android systems and Apple.

Hair - ugh! Ds won't cut his and I keep telling him it's affecting his ability to get hired. I have agreed with him that it's not right, but it is what it is. It's a bone of contention with us at this point. 

At the end of the day - I think it's important for young people to know - you get to have personality AFTER they see the work you do.  Once you are vital to the operations than you can sit on your throne of "but my hair doesn't impact my work ethic."  Do I agree with them?  Sure I do.  But their butt needs to get in the door and their mop might be interfering with it.

There is a decent chance a judgemental 50 something is the guy choosing the applicants and doing the hiring.  Adjust accordingly.  When you have a job and $$, by all means, dress however they'll tolerate.  

• Like 1

At the end of the day - I think it's important for young people to know - you get to have personality AFTER they see the work you do.  Once you are vital to the operations than you can sit on your throne of "but my hair doesn't impact my work ethic."  Do I agree with them?  Sure I do.  But their butt needs to get in the door and their mop might be interfering with it.

There is a decent chance a judgemental 50 something is the guy choosing the applicants and doing the hiring.  Adjust accordingly.  When you have a job and $$, by all means, dress however they'll tolerate.  

Yeah, I've been trying to get that through to him. Sigh.

My son is doing some online applications but applying in person to a couple of places.  The in-person stops are small, local companies that family friends or colleagues at the fire station where he volunteers have suggested he look.  The big grocery store, Lowe's, and Petsmart are online application places.  We helped him with a resume highlighting the skills classes he's taken and his courses at the fire academy (along with noting his status as a homeschooled high schooler).  We're hoping that will offset his lack of work experience. 

My daughter got her job by stopping in person.  A local cafe was opening a second location in our neighborhood, so she went into the first location and spoke with the owner.  It was very easy, almost too easy, after all my warnings that most people don't get the first job they apply for.  :-)  (Though actually I had but my kids did not know that.)

Edited by marbel

Fill out the online application, and then go to the specific store and ask to speak with a manager, and bring something on paper that could NOT be included on the on-line app--nat a "resume" per se, but along those lines.  Volunteer work, Scout honors and achievements, aspirational statements, especially for those jobs that hire high school and college students because they KNOW you are going to go to school, and the honest statement of the fact doesn't rule you out.  Go the extra mile.