Menu

Do you ever wake up with a song playing in your head? Do you recall what song it was?

Kareni

Do you ever wake up with a song playing in your head?  Do you recall what song it was?  If yes, do share here.

This morning I woke up with the lyrics from Tom Lehrer's National Brotherhood Week running through my head.  In case you're unfamiliar with him, Tom Lehrer wrote and performed musical satire.

You can see one version of the lyrics here.  These were the lines I woke up to:

"...

But during National Brotherhood Week

National Brotherhood Week

Lena Horne and Sheriff Clark

Are dancing cheek to cheek"

Here's an article that discusses National Brotherhood Week with a link that shows Tom Lehrer in 1967 performing the song.  (That performance doesn't actually have the lines above.)

Regards,

Kareni

Yes.  Sometimes it's a hymn.  We recently watch a movie titled "Home", so the theme song to that was running through my head a couple of weeks ago.  I can't remember anything else right now.  :)

Occasionally I do.  I can usually direct my dreams (simi-lucid dreamer)  so music doesn't often play a big part in them.  If I do, it's usually either church music from when I was a kid or something from the 1950's-70's that I suffered through during car rides with my parents.

desertflower and foxbridgeacademy, thanks for sharing your stories.  Now I'm trying to recall what, if any, music I might have suffered through on those old car rides.  For all that Tom Lehrer was making music at that time, I don't recall hearing his music until I was an adult.

Anyone else?

Regards,

Kareni

Often! Usually I find myself humming or singing (quietly) while making breakfast.

Today it was a lovely song from the choral concert we attended last night.

Last week for several days it was the Horrible Histories Kings and Queens of England song. No quality control here, obviously!  :D

Yes, I do this a lot, plus I often hum or sing a song randomly in my day. While I was getting dinner ready tonight, I was singing "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins. This is a son the chorale class at co-op is working on now, so maybe that's why. It is a lovely song.

But it could be anything, really, even some silly parody song I saw on-line, such as "If I Didn't Have You." https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaid72fqzNE

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

A song from foster baby's toy Ferris wheel:

Spin the wheel

How fast will it go?

Round and round and round they go

The animals are enjoying their ride!

Brain-numbing, awful little jingle. Makes me want to remove the batteries but he loves the toy!

• Like 2

Absolutely, YES!  This morning it's You're the Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me by Jim Weatherly.  We saw a 16 year old girl do an AMAZING job with it on the stage of the Fabulous Fox during the Fox Teen Talent show this weekend; I was telling various people about the talent show last night, so I guess it was still on my mind. Really, all 4 of the singers who competed were amazing (I highly recommend going to this show if you live in St Louis -- it's free, and the kids are very talented).

It will switch to something else, though, eventually.  This happens to me almost every day.

Lots of musical theater because dds have been in lots of shows.  Some church music.  Sometimes things that I seem to have made up on my own.  Less often it's instrumental, such as a Chopin piano piece.

• Like 1

Yes, quite frequently. 

For the past week it's been handbell music.  We have a concert coming up and there are some difficult passages in many of our pieces.  I usually wake up with a few of those running through my head.  This morning it was page three of "Glorioso". 

I would like to wake up to songs with lyrics......you know, something I can actually SING!!

• Like 1

Occasionally, but it's usually a song that isn't a real song, just some made-up melody.

However, often, probably every day, I find myself mindlessly humming or whistling, and it's usually one of three very random songs:

The Happy Farmer (an old piano song by Schumann)

Dixie-Anna from an old Shirley Temple movie (!)

Little Wooden Head from Pinnochio

I have no idea why those are the songs that mindlessly come to me.  They aren't favorites or anything!

• Like 1

It's so much fun hearing about what all of you listen to in your heads! 

Unlike the Tom Lehrer song that had me beginning this post, when I woke up in the early morning today, the "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" jingle was running through my mind.  Since we haven't watched TV in years, I'm not sure where that came from.

Regards,

Kareni

I've had Purple Rain playing in my head since last week. :(

Yup, me too. 

did you see the Broadway tribute from the cast of the Color Purple?  After I hum around for a while, it's their version I keep turning on. As someone said in the youtube comments, it's like going to church. 

• Like 1

I've had Purple Rain playing in my head since last week. :(

Gosh, yes! Me, too!  But, oddly just since I saw that Bruce Sprinsteen tribute from last weekend, and so now I have his voice singing Purple Rain in my head.  It's all good, though.  It was a great tribute.

• Like 1