Menu

Do you email back a "thanks" to customer service after your question has been answered?

morningcoffee

I'm never sure if I should or not.

On on the one hand I like to say thankyou to anyone who has taken the time to answer my question but then I wonder if I'm just adding to that employee's inbox clutter and wasting their time having to open my email to see what it is.  Normally I err on the side of being polite and saying "thanks" :001_smile:  

• Like 1

No.  And, I worked in some form of customer service for 20 years and I don't think I would want people to do that.  It's true that this was before wide use of email/chat/etc so I can't say for sure.  But, I'd be wondering if I had to respond to that with "thank you for your business" or some such.   

I was always just happy when people didn't yell at me.  :-)

If someone is super helpful, send a message to the company praising them for their good work.

• Like 1

I'm never sure if I should or not.

On on the one hand I like to say thankyou to anyone who has taken the time to answer my question but then I wonder if I'm just adding to that employee's inbox clutter and wasting their time having to open my email to see what it is.  Normally I err on the side of being polite and saying "thanks" :001_smile:  

Yes, I always mail a thank you and have a nice day.

• Like 2

It depends on the type of conversation and if it's easy to reply.  If someone gave me truly personal service and I can reply to the email without a lot of fuss, I will do it.  If I have to click links and go online and fill in text boxes bla bla bla, forget it.  If I dealt with a robot or similar, nope.

• Like 1

My first job was with HP customer service (post-sales tech support) and they factor in thank you letters/emails/cards for performance appraisal.

ETA:

Whether I email back a thank you depends on the help. If I fill in an online help contact form and someone email me an answer, I'm unlikely to email a thank you. If there were emails back and forth to resolve an issue, I would email a thank you.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I usually thank them in advance when I'm making the query in the first place. I don't think it's necessary to thank them in another message if they just answered the question as expected, but I would thank them again if they were super helpful or did something extra for us, or the enquiry was especially complex. If they really go above and beyond, I also like to provide feedback to the company so that hopefully their boss will realize how great their customer service was.

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 1

I do email a thank you note.  I figure that the service rep will be glad to hear it.  I have talked to plenty of acquaintances and friends who do customer service work and they say it is a difficult job.  Apparently,  people who are actively rude are very, very rude  Anyway, no way to go wrong by being appreciative.. 

• Like 1