Menu

If you've BTDT with sleepaway summer camp...

ILiveInFlipFlops

...how did you decide? Did you go visit the camp first? Were you able to decide based just on reputation, reviews, etc.? 

Youngest DD has her heart set on two weeks at a fairly traditional summer camp 3-4 hours from home. We're leaning toward yes, but I'm having a hard time making a final decision (even though this whole thing was my idea!). The camp is well established and has good reviews overall. I'm mainly just anxious over a few things that DD isn't even worried about. 

This DD does sleepovers just fine, though she can get weepy if the night goes on too long. I suspect she'll be collapsing into bed before that happens though. We have some hair issues to work through, and some fitness issues to work on. She'd go to the first session so she'd be coming in with everyone else rather than starting in a session where lots of people have already been there making friends for awhile. 

If you've BTDT, please feel free to share your thoughts. 

How old is she? My DDs started going to Girl Scout camp as early as the summer after kindergarten, but not for 2 weeks straight. They loved it. My youngest DD has an enormous amount of hair that the teenage counselors were very happy to play with and keep braided for her, so that wasn't as much of a problem as I thought. I did specifically ask them to do it though.

I chose the camp just because it was a Girl Scout camp and I had heard good things about it. I had not gone to see it myself.

• Like 1

If she's never gone to a sleep-away camp before, could you work up to it by doing a shorter one first?

Ideally, I'd visit the camp first, but I don't think that is necessary.  I've sent my kids to camps I had not visited, and they had a great time.  Viewing the camp's online photos and videos was helpful.

My kids did their first sleep-away camp at age 7, for 2 nights, and they were fine, even though one night was very stormy.  They were both together though.  And we had visited that camp beforehand - it was not very far from home.  They have done a few more short overnights since then, but they haven't had an opportunity to do a longer one until this year (age 9).  They are signed up for 3 sleep-away camps this summer, totaling 2.5 weeks (not consecutive), and they feel ready.  The first one will be with their scout troop, so they know everyone.  Next will be a regional scout camp, where they will know some kids.  The third will be a week among total strangers in an unfamiliar place, but they will have each other.  I think they will do fine, but again, they are being eased into it.  Next year they will be ready to go to separate sleep-away camps if they want to.

How old?

My dd started going to a camp in 8th grade that is two weeks. It's a camp kids return to year after year. Most kids had been going since fifth grade. She found friends and had a good time. So good she's requested to go this year after graduation--there will be 3 graduates in the high school session this year and I'm glad she wants to do that and not "Beach week".

Anyway how many kids starts mid summer? As long as there are some new kids starting when she does it should be fine.

I never thought of hair for camp as important. I figured if it was dd would figure it out. We had arguments about hair care when she was little. Then she wanted to do ballet. I said she could as long as she did her own bun and she did. I m sure there are lots of little things kids figure out at camp that I never thought about. Dd has to do laundry. She knew how before but didn't do it often. I'm sure others are learning for the first time.

There's a very traditional, fairly well known (I even read about it here) camp that happens to be fairly close to my house. Kids will go to day camp because of the closeness, but the tween program has a one night per week overnight. Easing them in. But my kid has been away from me for many weeks so that's not the issue. I worry more about other people's children (unlike Sartre, I think the problem is other people's children ;)) and frankly ticks (Lyme tick area)

Edited by madteaparty

So, this would be a camp where she doesn't know anyone ahead of time?

My boys have done camps every summer.

One year they went to a camp where they didn't know anyone, but it was an unusual situation.  And both of my older boys went, so they at least knew each other .  It was a church camp, not our church.....but a large church nearby.  Usual cost was $450 for 5 nights.  That year they had so many snow days that public school kids couldn't make it the first week due to make up days.  So, they opened it up to homeschoolers for $100 for the entire 5 nights.  SO, I sent my kids!  They LOVED it!    But like I said, at least they knew each other.

Other than that, they did boy scout camp every year, but tent with their own troop.  They also do church camps, but they know the kids in the church.  And my youngest did a Christian camp 3.5 hours away, but went with a friend.

I would be hesitant to a camp where they are going alone and don't know anyone.

Edited by DawnM

I would be hesitant to a camp where they are going alone and don't know anyone.

Would this be for safety?

My DC have gone to a few different camps and did not know anyone before attending.

Girl scout camp was awful -- didn't allow dd to go to the bathroom

Camp run by diocese good dd asked to return a second time

Nature camp dd is returning for the fifth time

Boy scout awful -- hazing

Tech camp good

JROTC good

I think my family is odd that scout camps were bad I want to believe those incidents were isolated. Ever other time my kids knew no one and found buddies there and had a good time.

In general my kids have run with their own interests and not had a friend sign up with them for anything whether the activity was camp or soccer or theater.

• Like 1

My kids go to a week long summer camp. We knew people who had gone there and loved it but didn't visit it first. Oldest first went for a short session (2 nights) when he was 7. He also went that time with a friend. The next year when he was 8 he wanted to go for a week and didn't know anyone. He has gone every year since and loves it. He doesn't have friends that go but quickly makes friends there. He would love to do longer but he also swims in the summer so hasn't been able to get away for more time. Oldest also has gone to Scout camp and loved it but that's a little different since he went with his troop. 

Second son went last summer for the first time when he was 8. He did have friends in the cabin with him and he knew his brother was there, although they didn't really interact at all. He'd also heard about how fun it was for several years before going. He is returning this year and was fine going without friends. 

Neither of my kids get particularly homesick, especially the oldest. Even so I think it was helpful to have a friend there the first time. 

My DD did her first sleep away program at age 10. It was a highly specialized one on a college campus in a different state, so they were all geeky, socially ackward kids. She didn't know anyone, and was not only the only person from her state attending, but the only person from three states surrounding ours. They spent a lot of time helping the kids get to know each other, and it was a great social experience for her. She put in her application the first day it opened this year, and is eagerly awaiting returning.

Hair was a concern. She had waist length hair at the time, and was not good at managing it herself. We worked on brushing it, and she got good at putting it back in a clip, even if not a true ponytail, before going. As it turned out, her roommate loves braiding, so DD went through most of the week with much more elaborate hair styles than I ever would have done at home.

She will be eligible for the 1 week camp for one more year, and then will be in the age group for the 3 week program.

My son went to his first sleepaway camp last year (For a week. He was 7, almost 8) -- he was in South Carolina visiting my parents and it is the camp they send their Sunday school kids in -- but since he was just visiting he didn't KNOW anyone. He had a ball and has talked about going back ever since. He's so thrilled to be able to go back this year.  My daughter is 4 years younger so I doubt they will ever be able to go to the same camp at the same time. So we'll have to figure something else out when it comes to be her turn.  (She has a different personality and I don't know if she'd take as well to going off to camp by herself. By the time she's old enough, she could surprise me though!)

This will be dd's fourth year at sleep away camp, all Girl Scout camps. Totally loves it! Started with one week, this year will be four weeks.

Camp has policy that groups of girls who know ach other are not put in same tent or cabin, so no cliques. Girls can ask to stay with one friend, though. I would ask about groups. When I was a kid, I was in same group year after year at camp, and it was great. But for dd, the switching around was the best.

It was definitely a plus to visit camp beforehand. Absolutely a plus, for us, even with a long ride. We went for an orientation, so we met staff as well as saw the camp. When dd arrived at camp, she saw familiar faces.

Camp dd is in looks out for girls. Application asks about any special needs and about fears, like thunderstorms. Counsellors pay attention to individual girls. Girls also must fill in a form about themselves. Counsellors meet before each session to give heads up about girls. Parents can leave letters, gifts, so that girls can get a little something each day. I would look at application to see if it ask about individual. Also, not scientific, but my opinion -- a camp that cares about special needs is likely to be thoughtful f all campers.

Free time is full of fun, counselor- led games, so no chance of a kid being left out or marginalized. Btw, a complete contrast to 'boy led' Boy Scout camps with bullying. Ime, the contrast is stark. So, I like a camp with lots of counselors, little free time. Ymmv, but structure helps my dd. An outgoing, social, leader type might not like a lot of structure.

Our GS camp has one week sessions, Sunday to Saturday. Girls can go home between sessions or stay over. For each new session, tent and cabin assignments are rearranged, so no one new comes in on an established group. (There are a few two week sessions for older girls.)

Lots of girls cry at the final campfire, because they do not want to leave.

Edited by Alessandra

My daughters first camping-without-me experience was a two week, GS adventure camp when she was 12. She's in college and still mentions it. It was a great experience for her. I was a bit reluctant to let go, but SHE was ready and it was wonderful. I LOVED camp as a kid.

• Like 1

My daughters first camping-without-me experience was a two week, GS adventure camp when she was 12. She's in college and still mentions it. It was a great experience for her. I was a bit reluctant to let go, but SHE was ready and it was wonderful. I LOVED camp as a kid.

i

The first year I went to camp, my parents sent me for only one month (after second grade). I still remember how mad I was, coming back to a dirty, sooty city at the beginning of August and leaving behind the lakes and clean mountain air of camp.

Edited by Alessandra

Eldest did sleep-away camp starting at 11. He started out with one week, and asked to go for two weeks the following summer. After that it was a progression of specialized camps at different campuses. He never knew any one who'd be there, FWIW.

The initial, traditional sleepaway camp was one that I'd attended as a child. :) I highly recommend it.

DS12 has not attended - allergy issues. DD may, if she chooses, once she hits 10 or so.