Menu

WWYD at this point in the school year?

We typically follow a fairly traditional school Sept-May school schedule, use part of the summer to tie up loose ends, finish their current level of math and keep up with piano, end up taking a break for most of July and August, then start over again in the fall. 

This year I pretty much dropped the ball with my 8 year old (2nd grader by age.) She finished her Song School Latin book and I never got around to ordering the next level. We got bored with her writing and grammar, and those went by the wayside. Other than keeping up in math and piano most of our formal curriculum gathered dust. 

Despite a little bit of benign neglect, she's doing fine (more than fine, really) for the most part. She's a natural when it comes to math and has finished three semesters of Math Mammoth this school year. While I'm busy with her older brother, she tends to keep herself busy with lots of audiobooks, reading, playing outside, building fairy houses, drawing, earning money by walking the neighbor's dog during the day, and counting all of her money daily, LOL. She's read The Blue Fairy book to herself multiple times this year, read almost all of the historical American Girl Doll books, got on a kick about Monet and read a whole bunch about impressionism, and can easily read books like Mary Poppins, The Borrowers, and The Wizard of Oz. 

However, our lack of formal school work really shows when it comes to her writing/grammar. Her spelling is awful, even for a second grader, she uses odd syntax in both her verbal and written language (although sometimes I wonder if that's partially due to the old fashioned language in some of the books she loves), and the things she writes on her own are disjointed and difficult to follow. I do have a new English book and a spelling program, and therein lies my question: at this point in the year would you try to revamp things now and buckle down with the new curriculum, perhaps even going through the entire summer so that she can finish the first level in the new writing/grammar program and be back on track by fall, or given that it's spring and we're distracted by the beautiful weather and the garden and the flowers would you be okay with just letting her continue on her current path for now and start over in the fall? Would I be totally negligent to hold off till September? WWYD?

If you start the new writing curriculum now, will you be able to stick to it through to the end of the year (and possibly summer)? Or will you fizzle out after a few weeks because it's so great outside?

That self-assessment would definitely affect what I would do in your situation. I'd rather start strong in September if I can't keep up the momentum right now.

If you start the new writing curriculum now, will you be able to stick to it through to the end of the year (and possibly summer)? Or will you fizzle out after a few weeks because it's so great outside?

That self-assessment would definitely affect what I would do in your situation. I'd rather start strong in September if I can't keep up the momentum right now.

It's hard to say. I'm currently working about 60 hours a week in addition to homeschooling, and that's one of the reasons why I've just let much of her work drop in the first place. I'm just so darned tired all the time, so when I see her sitting happily with a book, it's just so much easier to let her do her own thing while I snooze on the couch. 

We are hoping that my dh will get a promotion this summer with a significant raise that would let me cut back my hours and not need to work so much. If I just knew for certain that the promotion will come through (it's likely, but not a guarantee) then I'd be more inclined to just wait till fall. 

Is the spelling a full year of work?

I'd be inclined to do a semester of spelling starting now, but not necessarily to start the English if it's a full year.

Or I'd start spelling, and then add some copywork.  And maybe some writing assignments that aren't "a curriculum."  Just something like Story Starters...

Is the spelling a full year of work?

I'd be inclined to do a semester of spelling starting now, but not necessarily to start the English if it's a full year.

Or I'd start spelling, and then add some copywork.  And maybe some writing assignments that aren't "a curriculum."  Just something like Story Starters...

I was going to start her on Sequential Spelling since that is what we already own and my oldest currently uses it as well. It has 180 lessons and is meant to be done 5 days/week, but realistically, I just aim for him to do it 3X/week, so one level lasts us nearly 2 years. 

Our new writing/grammar program (English for the Thoughtful Child) only has 62 lessons. Many of them can be completed in just one session, although it looks as though there are some that would require a couple of days to complete. 

I'd get her some kind of spelling software/app, so she can do it independently.  If she continues through the summer, pay her or make it part of something fun. You could pay for weekly book reports for books they read for the summer reading program.  But yeah, some computer software or something realistic and then some sneaky life ways of getting it in.

• Like 3

I'd be pretty tempted to let her start getting a spelling list from what she is reading to practice weekly, and have her do copywork, dictation and maybe imitation from things she reads on her own and save the formal curriculum for when your work week gets a little less hectic. 

I'd get her some kind of spelling software/app, so she can do it independently. If she continues through the summer, pay her or make it part of something fun. You could pay for weekly book reports for books they read for the summer reading program. But yeah, some computer software or something realistic and then some sneaky life ways of getting it in.

Do you have one you recommend? :)

I would just give her copy work for the rest of the yr. I would teach simple grammar from the copywork. I'd let everything else wait til fall.

Yes! I just remembered that we own the entire Draw Write Now series, and it would be perfect for her: drawing and copywork combined with drawing instruction that she can do entirely on her own, and would very much enjoy doing as well! 

• Like 4

Keep her reading. I know it seems so easy, but if kids can just read a lot they will have academic growth overall. If you are worried about her spelling, you can do All About Spelling in 15 - 20 minutes a day. She does not need formal grammar in 2nd grade. Get her to write in the real world as much as possible so it feels authentic; her spelling might improve if she knows it matters. I would just make a point to go to the library and get a variety of books for her to devour, a great sketch pad, some awsome games or apps, and keep up with math. Enjoy and do not sress so much (now). 

• Like 1

If she is the type who wouldn't mind doing a short stint of simple workbooks each day, I'd probably just get a few for language arts and call it a day. It doesn't need to be a 'curriculum' or a text. Get cheaper ones and it's no big deal if she winds up doing them or not. 

You can also check the library for fun grammar books like the Brian Cleary series (I and You and Don't Forget Who and several others), and there are plenty of fun books for math and science as well. 

Basically, it sounds like she is doing a good job of keeping herself positively occupied, so I would just strew some additional interesting things in her way - not so much because she isn't doing 'enough,' but to throw some things her way that she might not choose herself, and to keep up the physical practice of writing.

I wouldn't resume anything teacher-intensive, but I would try to spend a certain amount of time planning next year, with the assumption that your dh doesn't get the big raise. If you still only have a little time next year, what is the best use of that time with her? Pick only a couple of things that need you, and commit to them. Then intentionally strew plenty of resources that she can pick and choose from on her own. 

Again, she is already doing lots of great things! I would just want to make sure there are lots of great science and history books on the shelves as well, or whatever she might not choose on her own. What did SWB's mom do? Each week, the kids had to read a variety of library books at their level. It was something like one science book, one biography, and so on. They could read their favorite genres as well, but these categories were part of school. 

• Like 1

We typically follow a fairly traditional school Sept-May school schedule, use part of the summer to tie up loose ends, finish their current level of math and keep up with piano, end up taking a break for most of July and August, then start over again in the fall. 

This year I pretty much dropped the ball with my 8 year old (2nd grader by age.) She finished her Song School Latin book and I never got around to ordering the next level. We got bored with her writing and grammar, and those went by the wayside. Other than keeping up in math and piano most of our formal curriculum gathered dust. 

Despite a little bit of benign neglect, she's doing fine (more than fine, really) for the most part. She's a natural when it comes to math and has finished three semesters of Math Mammoth this school year. While I'm busy with her older brother, she tends to keep herself busy with lots of audiobooks, reading, playing outside, building fairy houses, drawing, earning money by walking the neighbor's dog during the day, and counting all of her money daily, LOL. She's read The Blue Fairy book to herself multiple times this year, read almost all of the historical American Girl Doll books, got on a kick about Monet and read a whole bunch about impressionism, and can easily read books like Mary Poppins, The Borrowers, and The Wizard of Oz. 

However, our lack of formal school work really shows when it comes to her writing/grammar. Her spelling is awful, even for a second grader, she uses odd syntax in both her verbal and written language (although sometimes I wonder if that's partially due to the old fashioned language in some of the books she loves), and the things she writes on her own are disjointed and difficult to follow. I do have a new English book and a spelling program, and therein lies my question: at this point in the year would you try to revamp things now and buckle down with the new curriculum, perhaps even going through the entire summer so that she can finish the first level in the new writing/grammar program and be back on track by fall, or given that it's spring and we're distracted by the beautiful weather and the garden and the flowers would you be okay with just letting her continue on her current path for now and start over in the fall? Would I be totally negligent to hold off till September? WWYD?

I think I'd probably just do copywork and oral narration from now until the end of the school year.  I think a second grader benefits deeply from these things.  I assume you still read aloud quite a lot?  Do this now and through the summer and pick up the new curriculum in September.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't start any new "curriculum". It's okay to wait until fall, but I'd be inclined to do copywork. Pick a sentence or paragraph from whatever she is reading. Have her copy it and discuss the grammar, vocabulary, spelling, etc. orally. Nothing formal. Low key and easy to be inconsistent on but still do whenever you think of it. It's amazing how much they can pick up from this copywork.

I'd get some fun (as fun as they can be, that is!) workbooks and computer games that target those areas.  So, you'll be approaching it more casually but still require her to work on it.  I wouldn't necessarily set a goal (for example -- must make it through a curriculum by end of August), but just plug away at it through the summer.  

Despite a little bit of benign neglect, she's doing fine (more than fine, really) for the most part. She's a natural when it comes to math and has finished three semesters of Math Mammoth this school year. While I'm busy with her older brother, she tends to keep herself busy with lots of audiobooks, reading, playing outside, building fairy houses, drawing, earning money by walking the neighbor's dog during the day, and counting all of her money daily, LOL. She's read The Blue Fairy book to herself multiple times this year, read almost all of the historical American Girl Doll books, got on a kick about Monet and read a whole bunch about impressionism, and can easily read books like Mary Poppins, The Borrowers, and The Wizard of Oz

Your daughter would have fun playing Rainbow Fairy Queens and Princesses Mary Poppins in Narnia (with Unicorn Ponies) with my daughters, LOL. ;) Seriously, this sounds like our brand of benign neglect -- really very wonderful, I think. She's on track with all the important things, right? Playing, math, piano, reading, caring for animals, enjoying stories and books and art, keeping herself busy, counting money (mine do this, too, it's hilarious). If she's doing her chores and seems content, why worry?

Here's my question: How can a 2nd grader's spelling really be awful? How? Even if every other word is misspelled, she is so young, and I honestly wouldn't sweat it. No, I would not start in on the new things, when spring time is calling you. Let her chase butterflies and gather buttercups, she will never be this young again. Neither will you. ;)

IMO, the best course would be to just finish up the basics for April, May, and June, have your lovely and renewing summer break, and then pick up where you left off next school year. It will be okay.

• Like 1

Yes! I just remembered that we own the entire Draw Write Now series, and it would be perfect for her: drawing and copywork combined with drawing instruction that she can do entirely on her own, and would very much enjoy doing as well! 

All three of my girls have spent hours and hours with this set of books, drawing, copying, writing their own illustrated stories and poems, making scenes and paper "dolls" (Underwater World, African Safari, Woodland & Meadow), and using the drawing instructions to illustrate letters to family and friends. A wonderful tool -- just add paper, card stock, markers, pencils, glue sticks, and gel pens.