Menu

Can you please post the best history programs for around 3rd grade!

turnin' 360s

Definitely SOTW with the AG. This morning 8yod was reading it aloud to 5yos just for fun. Her older sisters were scolding her for reading ahead, and she was saying she just couldn't help it because it was so interesting. I, of course, just laughed and told her to continue. When we tried to use something else last year, they all begged to go back to SOTW. My kids absolutely love it.

Both my kids and I adore SOTW. Definitely get the AG as well. Why do we like it? It's thorough, chronological, has nifty activities and wonderful ancillary book suggestions, includes geography, and is told in a wonderful "voice" that is both conversation and friendly while including lots of details. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

- older editions of Cornerstones of Freedom books, each on a U.S. history event/movement ("The Story of...")

- "The Complete Book of U.S. History"

- "Watchwords of Liberty" (by Lawson) -- famous quotes (and context) from U.S. history

- series of biographies of Native American chiefs/leaders (by Joanne Oppenheim, or by Jane Fleischer)

- historical fiction titles in the Sonlight 3 and 4 cores

- Beautiful Feet Geography guide and the 4 Holling C. Holling books (each contains lots of great history/geography).

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We're in second grade here and we're using SOTW...volume one. We're going through it quickly so we can get caught up to the second grade volume. I'm not doing enough with the extra stuff...but I'm exposing her to it. My 11th grader freaked when we discussed the code of hamarubi. But hey...that's history and why not read about it when you're young. It's almost the same as what I read about Afghanistan & the Taliban in Kite Runner & A Thousand Suns.

Thanks for the great suggestions! They gave me a reference for searching without just searching for "history".

I've read some about SOTW on the message boards. I have a concern about not being able to find the extra books at the library' date=' but I undertand it is doable without them?[/quote']

it works fine with out the extra books.

my library hasn't many books. in fact I have more junior non-fiction than my library.

Thanks for the great suggestions! They gave me a reference for searching without just searching for "history".

I've read some about SOTW on the message boards. I have a concern about not being able to find the extra books at the library' date=' but I undertand it is doable without them?[/quote']

The library book suggestions are enrichment--they are extra and are not necessary to the program. Sometimes we get some of the books (never all of them) and sometimes we do not.

You can do SOTW just using the SOTW text and AG. It's a wonderful resource as is.

I would recommend also buying the Usborne encyclopedia she recommends, but it's not strictly necessary. The nice thing about having the history encyclopedia is that if has lots of nifty pictures, and is a great supplement to the SOTW base text. Also takes the pressure off going to the library as the history encyclopedia is the enrichment.

• 3 weeks later...

We use SOTW with AG here as well as the KingFisher History Encyclopedia with it. I have bought a bunch of the recommended books as well as others I just thought would be interesting to go with it. I figured given my bad habit of library fines, plus 2 more kids coming up the line to use this program when the big kids are done it was worth buying the extra books. You can do SOTW with just the text and AG, the rest is enrichment, you can also find lots of info online if you don't want to worry about extra books. The hands on activities you can take or leave as well(though in my family we think of them as the best part)

with that age range i've done SOTW w/ activity guide, SOTW w/ history odyssey (which I liked better) and am now doing American Crossing 1 from Winter promise which is the *bomb*. dd 9.5 loves it.

imo, it's too much work for a 3rd grader, so for that age, I'd go with American Story 1....have heard wonderful wonderful things about it and honestly, I should have gone with it over AC1 (b/c of the amount of work for my adhd/dyslexic etc etc child;))

K

We like WinterPromise American Story 1! We enjoy the lit selections, the visually appealing nonfiction texts, and the activities, timeline, DVDs and websites.

:iagree:

Even though I use and love Tapestry of Grace, I agree with Snow White that Winter Promise has a great collection of interesting books for the 3rd grader. We did American Story II and my son really, really enjoyed the variety of history books. We used Sonlight before that, and though I like SL very much, I would not say it is "fun"...not unless fun to your child is reading, reading, reading, reading with zero hands-on. I went with Tapestry because I wanted more meat; depth, teachers helps, student pages, tests, etc. Otherwise I would be using Winter Promise's Quest for the Ancient World this year.

SOTW is wonderful as well [used that with our Sonlight Cores 1 & 2] but you'll have to hunt down and decide what other books to add and schedule with it...if you feel you need other books to add to it that is. ;) Winter Promise, on the other hand, does all the planning for you...as does Sonlight and Tapestry of Grace.

For me, My Fathers World always looked dreadfully dull :tongue_smilie:...so I cannot comment on that program choice.

Happy hunting. :D